Israel bombed resistance sites in Gaza

GAZA, PALESTINOW.COM — On Sunday evening, Israeli artillery shelled sites belonging to the al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas in the northern Gaza Strip.

Quoting eyewitnesses, that the Israeli artillery bombed two observers of the “Qassam Brigades” in the northern Gaza Strip, without reporting any injuries.

According to the same source, the first bombardment targeted the eastern town of Beit Hanoun, while the other targeted the eastern town of Jabalia.

For his part, said the Israeli army in a statement: “The army tanks bombed two sites belonging to Hamas in the northern Gaza Strip; in response to the injury of a soldier as a result of a shrapnel of an explosive device thrown at him.”

Nine Palestinian demonstrators were wounded by the Israeli army during the clashes, according to a statement issued by the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza.

The Israeli army violently suppressed those peaceful marches. Dozens of Palestinians were killed and thousands wounded.

(Source / 18.02.2019)

Palestinian Family to be Evicted, Home Handed to Settlers

18 Feb 5:49 AM

Israeli soldiers and police stormed a Palestinian family home located in the Khalidiya block of Old Jerusalem, near the Al-Aqsa Mosque, threatening to evict it for Jewish settlers.

According to WAFA, Israeli forces broke into a house inhabited by the family of Hatem Abu Assab and spread throughout, while another force surrounded the house from the outside and closed the street leading to it, knowing that Abu Assab received notification of the evacuation of the house and managed, through his lawyer, to postpone the decision to evacuate until the 28th of this month.

The family, which has been living in the house for more than 65 years, has made several appeals, to the residents of Jerusalem and various institutions, to support the family and stand against the evacuation of the house, in favor of the settlers.

In addition, the family, which currently consists of 9 people living in the house, says it paid the house rent continuously to the absentee property guard. The lease was renewed, but, five years ago, it was surprised by the eviction case.

PNN further notes that the family of Hatem Abu Assab fled to the city after being forcibly displaced from the neighborhood of Baqaa, west of Jerusalem, in 1948, after the massacre of Deir Yassin. The grandfather lived in a room, in the neighborhood of Bab al-Amoud, before moving to the current house in 1952, which he shared with the family before moving to another place.

The property, which is located in the neighborhood of al-Qarami, leading to Al-Aqsa Mosque, belongs to the Nusseibeh family of Jerusalem, which had been established by Jews before 1948, for 99 years. A decision was issued in late October 2018, to evict the house on the pretext of losing the right to protection, according to the family.

(Source / 18.02.2019)

Israeli Soldiers Injure 19 Palestinians In Gaza

18 Feb 1:37 AM

Israeli soldiers fired, on Sunday at night, several missiles and artillery shells into areas in northern Gaza and injured 19 Palestinians during protests near the fence; the Israeli army said one soldier was hurt by an explosive.

The Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza said the 19 young men, were injured during protests near the fence, east of Jabalia, in northern Gaza.

It added that the wounded Palestinians were moved to the Indonesian hospital, among them one who suffered life-threatening wounds.

The army claimed that several Palestinian protesters “rolled burning tires at soldiers across the perimeter fence.”

Israeli Ynet News said the protesters also “hurled what appears to have been an explosive,” wounding the soldier.

Furthermore, the Israeli army fired shells at an observation post, east of Jabalia, and at another site, north of Beit Hanoun, in northern Gaza, causing damage but no injuries.

(Source / 18.02.2019)

Israeli Soldiers Abduct Four Palestinians, Including One Woman, In Al-Aqsa

18 Feb 3:02 PM

Israeli soldiers assaulted, Monday, many worshipers in the Al-Aqsa Mosque, in occupied Jerusalem, before abducting four Palestinians, including one woman.

Media sources said the soldiers assaulted several Muslim worshipers while trying to remove them from the holy site, and closed all gates leading to it.

One of the abducted Palestinians has been identified as Sheikh Ra’ed Da’na.

They added that dozens of worshipers held noon prayers in Bab ar-Rahma area, to protest the closure of the Bab al-Rahma Gate, especially after the army closed it with chains, on Sunday at night.

The soldiers resorted to the excessive use of force against the worshipers, including many women and children.

(Source / 18.02.2019)

Palestinian Authority Suspends Pay for Hundreds in Gaza

18 Feb 6:26 AM

Hundreds of Palestinians have demonstrated in Gaza City, as protests proceed against the Palestinian Authority’s decision to suspend their salaries, as Abbas’s arbitrary procedures against Gaza continue.

The Palestinian Authority (PA) has decided to stop paying salaries and social welfare to hundreds of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, including many Fateh members, local sources say.

Abbas and senior PA officials recently warned that they would impose severe sanctions on the Gaza Strip unless Hamas agreed to relinquish security and civilian control over the coastal enclave, under his conditions.

The salaries of 400 hundred ex-detainees and 20 detainees being held in Israeli jails were suspended by the PA, in Ramallah, the Palestinian Detainees and Ex-Detainees Affairs Commission in Gaza said.

The salaries of 262 employees of the Ministry of Health were also slashed by the PA without reason, the Ministry of Health in Gaza reported.

Seventy-one specialized physicians, 59 nurses and other health professionals, 75 administrative and service workers, technicians, engineering and maintenance technicians, and 41 other professions were among the categories covered by the halt of salaries procedures, the Ministry added.

Gazans are calling upon the international community and human rights organizations to immediately intervene in stopping Abbas’s sanctions against the enclave, local sources said, according to Days of Palestine.

(Source / 18.02.2019)

Israeli Soldiers Bulldoze Palestinian Lands In Nablus And Qalqilia

18 Feb 2:39 PM

Israeli soldiers bulldozed, Monday, large areas of Palestinian lands in the northern West Bank governorates of Nablus and Qalqilia, in order to expand illegal colonies, built on private lands.

Ghassan Daghlas, a Palestinian Authority official who monitors Israel’s illegal colonialist activities in northern West Bank, said the soldiers invaded hundreds of Dunams of Palestinian lands, planted with almond trees, and bulldozed them.

Daghlas added that the army is bulldozing the lands to expand the illegal Givat Ronim colony, which was built on private Palestinian lands, east of Burin village southwest of Nablus.

In addition, the soldiers bulldozed large areas of Palestinian lands, owned by villages from Sanniriya and Masha villages, south of the northern West Bank city of Qalqilia.

Mohammad Sheikh, a member of Sanniriya village council, said the bulldozing of the Palestinian lands aims at linking four illegal colonies, which were built on private lands, in order to expand them by constructing more units and facilities.

He added that the illegal colonies Israel is trying to expand are Etz Efraim, Sha’arei Tikva, Elkana and Oranit.

(Source / 18.02.2019)

ISRAEL DESTROYS FAMILY’S HOME FOR A SECOND TIME

Israel’s occupation forces destroyed a house belonging to Mohammad Mousa Zreina and his family in the West Bank town of Beit Jala on the morning of Wednesday February 13th. According to Zreina occupation forces assaulted the family and forced them out of their home, situated in shadow of the illegal Apartheid and Annexation Wall in the Bir Ouna neighbourhood, and demolished it. Israel’s occupation troops claimed that the 80-square-meter house was built without permission from Israeli occupation authorities. This is a second time that Israel has destroyed the family’s house; first time it did so was in 2016.   

  (Source / 16.02.2019)

Hamas’ Haniyeh to conduct international tour

Chairman of the political bureau of Hamas, Ismail Haniyeh speaks during the funeral of Palestinian teenagers Louay Kahil and Amir Al-Namara, who were killed in an Israeli air strike at a mosque during their funeral in Gaza City on 15 July, 2018 [Ashraf Amra/Apaimages]

Chairman of the political bureau of Hamas, Ismail Haniyeh speaks during the funeral of Palestinian teenagers Louay Kahil and Amir Al-Namara, who were killed in an Israeli air strike at a mosque during their funeral in Gaza City on 15 July, 2018

Senior Hamas leader Mohammad Nazzal has revealed that his movement is preparing for an international tour for its chief Ismail Haniyeh.

Nazzal pointed to arrangements with Egypt to facilitate this, Al-Ray News Agency reported yesterday, reiterating that Egypt has pledged not to close the Rafah Crossing – the only civilian exit point from the besieged Gaza Strip – because Egypt is keen not to punish the Palestinian people.

He also confirmed previous reports that Hamas is following up on the issue of Palestinian prisoners in Egyptian jails, stating that the issue of four Palestinians kidnapped after while travelling through Rafah Crossing a couple of years ago is on top of Hamas’ agenda.

“There are important promises to release Palestinian prisoners from Egyptian jails and Hamas is following up the issue of all Palestinian prisoners in Egypt, not only those affiliated with Hamas,” he said.

Israel’s Lieberman: Next confrontation with Gaza must be the last

Regarding the truce with Israel, Nazzal said that there have been clear understandings but Israel continues to violate them “due to the internal Israeli conflict”. He noted that Hamas’ efforts to stabilise the truce would not stop until an agreement was reached and enforced.

Nazzal added: “The protests of the Great March of Return and the use of different methods by protesters is linked to the progress of the truce understanding,” noting that Hamas had pressured the UN’s Middle East Envoy Nicolay Mladenov to uphold its responsibility in this regard, given that the UN had promised to lift the Israeli siege on Gaza.

Nazzal stated that his movement is cooperating with several parties, including the UN, Qatar and Egypt in order to lift the suffering inflicted on the Palestinian people in Gaza. He revealed there are certain sides which do not want the siege to be lifted, but rather want Gaza to surrender to the Israeli occupation, though he did not elaborate on which sides thought as such.

Read: Israel preparing major new attack on Gaza

(Source / 16.02.2019)

PA refuses participation in Israel-Arab railway

This picture taken on September 25, 2018 on the outskirts of Jerusalem shows a new high speed train travelling between Jerusalem and Israel's Ben Gurion International Airport with the Palestinian village of Beit Iksa in the background [AHMAD GHARABLI/AFP/Getty Images]

This picture taken on September 25, 2018 on the outskirts of Jerusalem shows a new high speed train travelling between Jerusalem and Israel’s Ben Gurion International Airport with the Palestinian village of Beit Iksa in the background

The Palestinian Authority (PA) has refused to participate in an Israeli project which will see a railway connect Israel to Arab states.

The PA Minister of Civil Affairs and Member of Fatah Central Committee, Hussein Al-Sheikh, said yesterday that the PA has refused to join the project, Al-Wattan Voice reported. “We refused this completely,” Al-Sheikh wrote on his Facebook page. “No to normalising ties with Israel and no to economic solutions which reinforce the occupation,” he added, stressing that a “crumb of bread is not an alternative for a free country”.

Israeli reports have recently noted progress in the project, which became known as the Railway of Peace, after the visit of the Israeli Transport Minister Yisrael Katz to Oman in November.

The railway aims to connect Israel with Jordan and the Gulf States in order to “achieve peace and economic cooperation”, according to Katz, who has called for affording the budget for the project. The Palestinians, however, have lambasted the idea, seeing it as part of the Gulf’s increasing willingness to ignore their cause in order to further normalise ties with Israel.

Bahrain FM: Confronting Iran is more important than Palestine

(Source / 16.02.2019)

UN Report: Israel continues to kill Palestinian children

RAMALLAH, PALESTINOW.COM — Two Palestinian children were killed by Israeli forces during the ‘Great March of Return’ protests in the blockaded Gaza Strip without posing a threat to the soldiers, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has reported.

The two boys (14 and 17-years-old) were shot with live ammunition and killed on Friday, 8 February in two incidents near the fence.

According to human rights groups, both incidents occurred between 60-250 meters from the fence and the two boys posed no threat to Israeli forces. On the same day, according to Israeli sources, Palestinians threw explosive devices at Israeli forces and attempted to breach the fence into Israel, resulting in no Israeli injuries.

OCHA said another two Palestinians died of wounds sustained previously, and 530 were injured.

The other two fatalities, both men, succumbed to wounds sustained in previous demonstrations on 18 and 29 January, including a demonstration at the beach held to protest the naval blockade; one of the fatalities was shot with live ammunition and the other one was struck by a tear-gas canister.

These incidents bring the number of Palestinian fatalities sustained during the Gaza protests since March 2018 to 263, including 49 children, OCHA added.

Of those injured during the reporting period, 248 were hospitalized, including 64 people hit by live ammunition; the remainder were treated in the field, according to the Ministry of Health in Gaza.

On at least 40 occasions outside of the protests, Israeli forces opened warning fire on land and at sea in Gaza. One Palestinian was injured in one of the incidents. Additionally, five Palestinian boys were detained, reportedly as they were attempting to infiltrate into Israel. On three other occasions, Israeli forces entered Gaza and carried out land-leveling and excavation operations in the vicinity of the perimeter fence.

In the West Bank, two Palestinians, including a girl, were shot and killed, and one boy was injured, by Israeli forces in two alleged attacks near Israeli checkpoints. On 30 January, an Israeli private security guard shot and killed a 16-year-old Palestinian girl at the al-Zaayyem checkpoint (Jerusalem), allegedly after she attempted to carry out a stabbing attack; her body has been withheld by Israeli forces.

On 4 February, Israeli forces shot and killed a 20-year-old man and injured a 16-year-old boy. Since the start of 2019, three Palestinians, including one child, have been killed by Israeli forces in alleged anti-occupation attacks carried out in the West Bank.

In the West Bank, 35 Palestinians, including at least eleven children, were injured by Israeli forces during protests and clashes. Almost half of the total injuries (16) were recorded during the weekly demonstration against settlement expansion on Palestinian land in al-Mughayyir village (Ramallah).

Of the total injuries during the reporting period, 34 per cent were caused by live ammunition, 31 per cent by tear gas inhalation requiring medical treatment, 31 per cent by rubber bullets, and the remaining 4 per cent by other means.

At the same time, fifteen structures were demolished or seized in occupied Jerusalem and Area C on the grounds of a lack of Israeli-issued building permits, displacing 39 Palestinians and affecting the livelihoods of some 70 others. Seven of the ten structures targeted in occupied Jerusalem, all residential, were demolished by their owners following the receipt of final demolition orders, reportedly to avoid incurring additional fines. The other five structures were located in Area C. Overall, 48 structures have been demolished or seized by Israel in the West Bank since the start of 2019.

On 6 February, Israeli forces displaced, for up to 14 hours, some 400 Palestinians in the northern Jordan Valley during Israeli military training exercises. This disrupted the livelihoods and access to services of two herding communities located in an area designated as a “firing zone”: Khirbet al-Ras al Ahmar and Hammamat al Maleh. Communities located in such zones are affected by a coercive environment placing their residents at risk of forcible transfer.

Also in Area C of the northern Jordan Valley, the Israeli authorities uprooted approximately 500 trees, leveled four dunums of cultivated land and caused damaged to an irrigation network, on the grounds that the area is ‘state land’.
Around 425 additional trees and 14 vehicles were vandalized, and one Palestinian was injured, in attacks by Israeli settlers, OCHA further stated.

(Source / 16.02.2019)