Al-Qidrah : The curve of the outbreak of the epidemic in Gaza is passing significantly

Ashraf al-Qidra, spokesman for the Ministry of Health in Gaza, said this evening, Saturday, that the curve of the epidemic is passing very sharply in terms of recording the number of infections, after the curve had flattened earlier, and this poses a great risk to mitigation measures in Those areas

In a radio interview, Al-Qidrah indicated that there has been a significant increase in the number of injuries in recent days, especially in the areas that were declared red zones in the northern Gaza Strip and the Gaza region.

He pointed out that the persistence of the red color in these areas worries the government staff and the epidemiological investigation committee, which continues its work in full swing.

Al-Qidra said, “The Ministry of Health now has the ability to distinguish between regions and the extent of the epidemic within them, and we are working hard to prevent infections from spreading to other areas.”

A spokesman for the Ministry of Health in Gaza added: “The spearhead in this battle is the extent of the citizen’s commitment to safety and prevention measures, and we have noticed an increase in the number of injuries in places where weddings and mourning homes were held.”

He stressed that if the state of inaction continues, this will affect the efforts of the epidemiological investigation committee, and things will get out of control, which pushes us to enter a difficult and cruel phase, he said.

He added, “There is a careful study to relieve the citizens and meet their needs, and all health and preventive controls have been completed to adhere to them in the sectors operating in Gaza.” And safety.

He indicated that the volume of daily checks give indications of the extent of the epidemic in the Gaza Strip, and the deeper we enter society, we will have more accurate data on the extent of the virus spread, he said.

(Source / 25.10.2020)

Red Cross says Palestinian hunger striker entering ‘critical phase’

Palestinian prisoner in Israeli jail Maher Al-Akhras, who is in a hunger strike for 85 days, speaks to media, receiving medical treatment at hospital in Rehovot, Israel on October 14, 2020 [Mostafa Alkharouf/Anadolu Agency]
Palestinian prisoner in Israeli jail Maher Al-Akhras, who is in a hunger strike for 85 days, speaks to media, receiving medical treatment at hospital in Rehovot, Israel on October 14, 2020

A Palestinian prisoner on hunger strike for more than 85 days since his arrest by Israel is entering a medically “critical phase”, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) announced yesterday.

Maher Al-Akhras, 49, is from Jenin in the northern occupied West Bank. He has been held since 27 July under an administrative detention order with neither charge nor trial and can be detained indefinitely. His hunger strike is a protest against such inhuman treatment.

“More than 85 days into the hunger strike, we are concerned about potentially irreversible health consequences,” said Yves Giebens, the head of the ICRC’s health department in Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories. “From a medical perspective, he is entering a critical phase.”

The ICRC said it has been monitoring the situation closely and visited Akhras on Thursday. “The ICRC encourages the patient, his representatives and the competent authorities involved to find a solution that will avoid any loss of life,” the organisation added.

Last month, Akhras was moved to Kaplan Hospital in the Israeli city of Rehovot, where he has been drinking water but refusing solid food, explained his family.

OPINION: The spirit of Palestinian resistance

Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip have launched several demonstrations to demand the prisoner’s release. They have also organised sit-ins and online campaigns to show their support for him.

There are around 5,000 Palestinians being held in Israeli jails, 350 of them under administrative detention. Israeli officials claim that detention without trial is sometimes necessary to protect the identities of undercover operatives.

Palestinians hunger-strikers in Israeli jails – Cartoon 

(Source / 24.10.2020)

86 infections of corona were recorded in Gaza

The Ministry of Health in the Gaza Strip announced this morning, Saturday, that 86 new cases of Coronavirus have been recorded during the past 24 hours.

And the ministry indicated in its daily report, that 85 new recoveries from the virus were recorded.

It stated that the central laboratory examined 1,836 new samples during the same period.

The total number of people infected with HIV in the Gaza Strip since last March reached 4,526, including 1,763 active cases, 2,737 recoveries, and 26 deaths.

(Source / 18.10.2020)

Mosques reopen in virus-hit Gaza Strip

Worshippers are staying away from the usual congregational prayers during Ramadan to avoid the spread of COVID-19 in the Gaza Strip, 6 May 2020 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
Worshippers are staying away from the usual congregational prayers during Ramadan to avoid the spread of COVID-19 in the Gaza Strip, 6 May 2020

Palestinian authorities reopened mosques in the Gaza Strip on Sunday after weeks of closure due to the coronavirus pandemic, Anadolu Agency reports.

The Ministry of Waqf and Religious Affairs, however, decided to keep mosques closed in areas categorized as “red zones,” where high numbers of virus infections were recorded.

A ministry statement said dozens of mosques were disinfected before the reopening.

In August, the ministry shut all mosques across the Palestinian territory following the detection of virus cases in the enclave.

UN: WHO delivers new coronavirus examination kits to Gaza

Mosques, however, were partially reopened in Oct. 4 in some areas in the strip.

The ministry said all preventive measures, including wearing masks, will be observed by worshippers while performing prayers at mosques.

Palestinian health authorities have recorded 4,645 virus cases, including 27 deaths, in the Gaza Strip since March.

(Source / 18.10.2020)

For the first time in 52 days: Zero coronavirus deaths in Palestine

Ramallah (QNN)- The Ministry of Health announced that 312 new coronavirus cases and 241 recoveries were registered during the last 24 hours, while zero deaths were registered for the first time in 52 days.

The Minister of Health, Mai Keleh, said the average of recoveries in Palestine have reached 87.5% while the active cases reached 11.7% and the deaths reached 0.8%.

She added that no deaths have been registered during the last 24 hours for the first time in 52 days.

Al Keleh added that there are 40 cases in the Intensive Care Units, including 6 on ventilators.

(Source / 17.10.2020)

4 deaths and 516 new cases of corona

The Minister of Health, Mai Al-Kailah, announced that the rate of recovery from the Corona virus in Palestine reached 87.4%, while the rate of active infections reached 11.8%, and the death rate was 0.8% of all infections.

In the daily report on the epidemiological situation of the Coronavirus in Palestine, Minister Al-Kaila added, today, Tuesday, that two deaths were recorded in the West Bank (a 72-year-old citizen from Bethlehem, and a 78-year-old citizen from Halhul), in addition to two deaths in the Gaza Strip (a 25-year-old citizen). From Gaza, a 78-year-old citizen from Jabalia), all of them suffer from chronic diseases.

Regarding recovery cases, 536 cases were recorded in the northern governorates (72 Hebron, 43 Jenin, 29 Tulkarm, 10 Qalqilya, 5 Salfit, 43 Nablus, 39 Bethlehem, Ramallah and Al-Bireh 276, Jericho and Al-Aghwar 15, Tubas 4) in addition to 77 A case in the Gaza Strip.

She added that the new casualties were distributed according to the following: Hebron Governorate (67), Nablus Governorate (53), Bethlehem Governorate (54), Qalqilya Governorate (8), Ramallah and Al-Bireh Governorate (31), Jenin (54), Jericho and Al-Aghwar (26) ), Salfit (14), Tubas (15), Tulkarm (104), the Gaza Strip (73), and the suburbs of Jerusalem (17).

The Minister of Health indicated that there are 41 patients in intensive care rooms, including 7 patients on artificial respirators.

(Source / 14.10.2020)

Miladinov announces the delivery of 14,000 corona test swabs to Gaza

The UN envoy for the Middle East peace process, Nikolai Miladinov, announced that the Ministry of Health in the Gaza Strip had delivered 14,000 additional swabs for coronavirus tests.

And Miladinov indicated in a tweet to him on his Twitter account, that the wipes came with the support of British institutions.

He indicated that these swabs were provided as part of the United Nations’ continued assistance to the Gaza Strip to confront the Corona pandemic.

(Source / 13.10.2020)

PLO Secretary General Erekat contracts COVID-19

Saeb Erekat, Secretary-General of the Palestine Liberation Organisation and chief Palestinian negotiator [ABBAS MOMANI/AFP via Getty Images]
Saeb Erekat, Secretary-General of the Palestine Liberation Organisation and chief Palestinian negotiator

Secretary General of the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO)’s Executive Committee Saeb Erekat has contracted COVID-19 and has been rushed to hospital for treatment, a PLO statement announced on Friday morning.

The statement, which was posted on Erekat’s Twitter account, apologised for cancelling all appointments until his recovery.

The statement of the PLO’s Executive Committee and Negotiations Department announced that Erekat had caught COVID-19 and expressed hope for his “speedy recovery”.

Erekat has had a lung transplant in the US and was set to leave for Jordan on Saturday for medical treatment.

Erekat was born in 1955 in Abu Dis and holds a PhD in Peace Studies. He was the minister of local governance in the first Palestinian Authority government.

In 2009, he was elected member of Fatah’s Central Committee and member of the PLO’s Executive Committee, and was later nominated its Secretary General by the PLO President Mahmoud Abbas.

READ: Palestine doctor dies of coronavirus in Hebron

(Source / 10.10.2020)

1200 worshipers perform Friday prayer with social distancing at Al Aqsa mosque

Occupied Jerusalem (QNN)- 1200 worshipers joined Friday prayer with social distancing at Al Aqsa mosque today, while Israeli authorities continued to prevent Palestinians from outside the Old City from performing prayers at the holy mosque, using Jewish holidays and COVID-19 restrictions as a justification.

For the third Friday in a row, Israeli forces continued to close the road to the Old City and closed Bab Al Amoud, preventing worshipers from praying at Al Aqsa mosque.

Israeli forces set dozens of new checkpoints and carried out random searches, preventing dozens of them from reaching the Al Aqsa mosque.

The Israeli restrictions forced dozens of worshipers to perform prayers at the closest area to the holy mosque.

Israeli forces imposed random fines on worshipers in the neighborhood of Al Misrarah after they insisted to perform prayers near Bab Al Amoud.

Israeli authorities prevent Palestinians from performing prayers at the Al Aqsa mosque, while on the other side, allowing dozens of settlers to celebrate holidays in the courtyards of Al Aqsa mosque and the streets of the occupied city.

(Source / 09.10.2020)

The New Battle of the Empty Intestines: Palestinian Hunger Striker al-Akhras

The Palestinian prisoner Maher Al-Akhras has started a new battle with his “empty intestines” for 74 consecutive days in a protest against his administrative detention, amid warnings that he could die at any minute in the Israeli Kaplan hospital.

Read More: Palestinian hunger striker in hospital is in serious health condition

In spite of al-Akhras, 49,  serious health condition, the Israeli Prison Service has constantly refused to agree to his demands.

Maher al-Akhras began his hunger strike after he was arrested and placed into administrative detention in late July.

Read More: Despite 71 days of hunger strike, Israel insists on keeping Palestinian administrative detainee behind bars

The hunger strike is considered as a last resort by the administrative detainees to express their rejection of the administrative detention policy.

According to B’Tselem, “Administrative detention is incarceration without trial or charge, alleging that a person plans to commit a future offense.”

“It has no time limit, and the evidence on which it is based is not disclosed. Israel employs this measure extensively and routinely, and has used it to hold thousands of Palestinians for lengthy periods of time.”

“While detention orders are formally reviewed, this is merely a semblance of judicial oversight, as detainees cannot reasonably mount a defense against undisclosed allegations. Nevertheless, courts uphold the vast majority of orders.”

Maher’s wife has also started a hunger strike to express solidarity with her husband.

(Source / 09.10.2020)