Permanent Observer of the State of Palestine to the United Nations, minister Riyad Mansour, warned on Friday against Israeli attempts to take advantage of the coronavirus pandemic to expropriate Palestinian land through its settlement activities and the annexation plans of occupied Palestinian land.
Mansour said the Israeli occupation approved construction of 1739 new illegal settlement units in the occupied territories.
He also explained through sending three identical letters to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, China, this month’s President of the Security Council, and UN General Assembly president that the critical situation in Palestine is continuing to deteriorate.
Mansour also pointed out that Israel is establishing a new ‘apartheid’ road neal the illegal settlement of Ma’ale Adumim.
Moscow (QNN)- In a race to discover a vaccine that will immunize people from the novel coronavirus, President Vladimir Putin revealed on Tuesday morning that Russia registered the world’s first Covid-19 vaccine marking a milestone in the fight against the deadly virus after less than two months of human testing.
Addressing a government meeting on state television, the Russian President insisted the vaccine was safe and it had even been administered to one of his daughters. “As far as I know, a vaccine against the coronavirus infection has been registered this morning (in Russia) for the first time in the world,” he said.
A vaccine developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute highlights Russian determination to win the global race for an effective product, and it may be putting national prestige before sound science and safety as proof of its scientific prowess According to the Health Ministry website, Its registration certificate notes that the vaccine, an injection solution called “Sputnik-V,” will enter civilian circulation on Jan. 1, 2021.
The World Health Organization last week urged Russia to follow established guidelines and go “through all the stages” necessary to develop a safe vaccine.
To gain triumph against covid-19 more than 100 possible vaccines are being developed all over the world trying to put an end to the lethal pandemic, four of which achieve a final Phase III human trials according to WHO data.
Issa Qattash, 40, still remembers what happened to him last April 16, when he and his brother were wounded, after they were severely beaten by a group of Israeli settlers, while they were on a picnic with their families in a forested area outside a village Pocket, north of Ramallah (central occupied West Bank).
“One of the settlers was carrying a gun and another was an ax. My brother Moses managed to escape to seek help … I lay on the ground while I was injured for a while, and then the settlers began to drag me out of the area … but then the Israeli soldiers arrived and released me,” said Issa. And they let the settlers go their way.
His mother Fatima Qattash, who witnessed the incident, who is 70 years old, added: “We were all shocked and we were afraid … and children still have nightmares.”
In a report, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs “OCHA” documented 143 attacks attributed to Israeli settlers during the first five months of the year 2020, causing 38 injuries to Palestinians, or damage to their property, to 105 incidents.
These accidents resulted in the injury of 63 Palestinians, including 13 children, injured and damaged more than 3,000 and 700 trees and seedlings, various field crops, and more than 100 vehicles.
Hotbeds of settler violence According to the “OCHA” report, the outpost that was established about two years ago was formed as a cattle farm east of the settlement “Halmish” near Ramallah, one of the hot spots during the first five months of the year 2020.
The residents of three nearby Palestinian villages (Jibya, Copper, and Umm Safa) reported that this settlement is a source of intimidation and systematic violence, which has increased over the past year.
In terms of damage to agricultural property, the most significant incidents were recorded in the Gush Etzion settlement area, west of Bethlehem (south) and near the Adi ‘Ad settlement outpost, northeast of Ramallah, where more than 60 percent of the total of 3,000 and 700 trees are located. Settlers destroyed it between January and May in these two regions.
The settlement area in the city of Hebron, where around 7,000 Palestinians have been affected by the long-standing restrictions on access (which have nothing to do with the epidemic), constituted an additional hot spot, with 18 attacks recorded between January May 2020.
These incidents represented a continuation of the increasing frequency of settler violence, which has been recorded since the beginning of 2019 after the departure of the Temporary International Presence Mission in the city of Hebron (south).
Other hotspots included the “Yitzhar” settlement and the surrounding settlement outposts in Nablus (north), where 22 incidents were recorded that damaged the residents of five villages, and the settlement of Homesh (also in Nablus), which was evacuated in 2005 and the settlers resumed in recent years, where It was the source of seven attacks that affected the residents of Burin village; The center of Hafat Ma’on settlement, south of Hebron, where six attacks were launched and damaged the residents of Al-Tuwani village.
The report of the UN office confirmed that the settlements established in the Occupied Palestinian Territory in contravention of international law are a major source of the vulnerability of Palestinians, depriving them of their property and livelihoods, leading to restrictions on access and producing a range of threats to their protection, including It includes violent attacks, such as this article.
Impunity policy He added that this phenomenon is exacerbated by the long-standing loopholes in law enforcement by the Israeli authorities on violent settlers, as it has created a “prevailing climate of impunity”, as reported by the United Nations Secretary-General.
According to a report published by Yesh Din, an Israeli human rights organization, among 273 investigation files opened by the police against settlers who assaulted Palestinians and monitored by the organization between 2014 and 2019 and reached its final stages, only 25, or 9 percent, resulted Among them was the pursuit of settler violence, while the other 248 files were closed without anyone being indicted.
For his part, B’Tselem, the Israeli Information Center for Human Rights said: The settler violence is not “exceptions”, but rather is part of a strategic activity that the state allows, participates in, and benefits from its consequences.
He added that the long-term result of these actions is the theft of more and more land from the hands of the Palestinians throughout the West Bank, which makes it easier for the state to control the West Bank and its resources.
As of early 2019, the number of settlers in the occupied West Bank, including the city of Jerusalem, reached 670,000, of whom 228,000 and 500 were in the city of Jerusalem.
In mid-2019, the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics estimated the number of Palestinians in the West Bank at about 3 million.
By an overwhelming majority, the international community considers the settlements illegal, and this is partly based on the Fourth Geneva Convention, which prevents the occupying power from transferring Israelis to the occupied territories.
This comes after Israel’s Supreme Court ruled last week that Palestinian prisoners have no right to social distancing protection against coronavirus.
Israel’s top court rejected a petition made by the Adalah -The Legal Centre for Arab Minority Rights, which called on Israel to implement COVID-19 protective guidelines for inmates at Gilboa prison, a facility in northern Israel housing about 450 Palestinians classified by Israel as “security prisoners”.
Around 222 Palestinian detainees are estimated to have died in Israeli prisons since 1967, five of them died this year.
Over 5,500 Palestinians are currently languishing in prisons located throughout Israel, according to Palestinian official figures.
Medical sources in Tulkarem province announced this afternoon that 11 new cases of the coronavirus have been reported.
According to local sources, the mostly injured were drivers working on the Taybeh commercial crossing line and contacts.
Four casualties were reported in the town of Attil, north of Tulkarem, and others in Tulkarem, Tulkarem, Shuweika, Safarin and Anabta, the sources said.
Medical sources called on contacts to adhere to the quarantine, while preventive medicine teams began to restrict the contact department in preparation for the necessary tests.
The governor of Tulkarem Issam Abu Bakr, chairman of the emergency committee, said that as part of the follow-up to the measures to counter the outbreak of the coronavirus, the town of Attil was closed until Monday evening, at the request of the emergency sub-committee and the municipality of Ateel, and the residents of the town, so that the teams of preventive medicine and the relevant authorities can follow the epidemiological map, in order to preserve the health and safety of citizens.
Governor Abu Bakar stressed in a press statement the need for citizens to abide by the health protocol and preventive measures to counter the threat of the outbreak of the coronavirus, wishing safety to all citizens.
Two Palestinians have died today from coronavirus in the occupied West Bank, bringing the death toll since the outbreak of coronavirus pandeim in Palestine to 77, announced the Palestinian Ministry of Health.
The two Palestinian people were aged 83 and 82, according to the Ministry.
The Ministry announced, earlier, that 382 new cases of coronavirus and 627 recoveries were recorded in the West Bank.