Israeli occupation forces on Wednesday morning shot and killed a Palestinian woman at Qalandiya checkpoint, north of Occupied Jerusalem.
Eyewitnesses said that the Israeli forces stationed at Qalandiya checkpoint shot a Palestinian woman in her fifties and left her to bleed for allegedly possessing a knife and plotting a stabbing attack.
The woman was moved to the Israeli hospital Hadassah where she was announced dead.
The Israeli forces later closed the checkpoint and blocked the movement of Palestinian citizens and vehicles.
A video posted on social media showed Israeli soldiers shooting the Palestinian woman although she was several meters away from them.
Israeli soldiers chopped down on Wednesday scores of Palestinian-owned olive trees in Burqin village, west of the occupied West Bank district of Salfit, according to Marwan Abdul Rahman, head of Burqin village council.
He said soldiers chopped more than 100 olive trees in Khirbet Qarqash area located in the northeastern part of the village.
No reason was given for the destruction of the trees.
A horde of Jewish settlers on Monday evening attacked a number of Palestinian homes in the south of Nablus in the occupied West Bank.
Local official Ghassan Daghlas said that dozens of settlers attacked the homes of citizens with stones in the northern area of Einabus village, south of Nablus, adding that local residents managed to fend off the assailants.
In another incident, another group of settlers stormed Duma village in southern Nablus, slashed tires of some cars and spray-painted death threats and racist slurs on a house’s wall.
The Israeli occupation authority (IOA) on Monday evening kidnaped a Palestinian businessman at the Beit Hanoun (Erez) crossing in the north of the Gaza Strip.
A Palestinian official from the crossings and border authority told Quds Press that Israeli intelligence officers arrested a businessman called Jawad Hassan after he went to the crossing for an interview.
He added that Hassan had submitted a request asking to allow him to travel through the crossing.
The arrest of a passenger at the crossing was not the first such incident since the beginning of the current year. The IOA had arrested four citizens after they applied for permission to travel through the crossing for medical and commercial purposes.
The Euro-Mediterranean Human Right Monitor and the International Institute for Rights and Development – Geneva (IRDG) have expressed their deep concern over the Saudi authorities’ illegal detention of dozens of Palestinians and cases of forced disappearance.
This came in a joint statement by Euro-Med and IRDG read during the 42nd ordinary session of the Human Rights Council (HRC) in Geneva on Monday.
Their statement said that dozens of Palestinians are victims of enforced disappearance in Saudi Arabia, which is a crime under international law.
In early September, the Euro-Mediterranean Human Right Monitor documented the testimonies of 11 Palestinian families whose relatives had been detained or forcibly disappeared in recent months during their stay or visit to Saudi Arabia. They were isolated from the outside world without specific indictments or without being brought before the competent legal authorities. Also, they were not allowed to communicate with their families or contact their lawyers.
The two organizations underlined that the Saudi Authority has no legal basis for detaining these people without informing their families about their whereabouts.
The human rights groups called on HRC to strongly condemn the abduction and forced disappearance of innocent civilians and to make efforts to ensure their release.
They also called on all international parties to act immediately to save the Palestinians, including the elderly who have been subjected to enforced disappearance in the Kingdom, whose executive authorities have committed a long series of human rights violations.
The groups also urged the UN to open an urgent investigation into such incidents of enforced disappearance in Saudi Arabia and to work on prosecuting those responsible.
A Palestinian prisoner on hunger strike was hospitalized, while the health of another has seriously deteriorated, according to a statement released today by Prisoners and Ex-Prisoners Affairs Commission.
It said that hunger-striking prisoner Ramadan Mashahra, 44, was moved to hospital after his health deteriorated.
Mashahra, from Jabal al-Mukabber neighborhood of occupied East Jerusalem, has been in prison for 18 years for resisting the occupation. He was sentenced to 20 life terms. He has been on hunger strike since September 8 in protest against the installation by the prison administration of jamming devices, which prisoners insist cause cancer.
Additionally, the commission noted in the statement that another prisoner, Sultan Khlouf, 38, from Burqin village in the north of the West Bank, and who has been on hunger-striking for 61 days in a row in protest against his administrative detention, is going through a serious deterioration in his health, according to Khlouf’s lawyer.
She said that Khlouf has entered a critical and difficult stage and that he now suffers from brain dysfunction, severe mouth sores, vision impairment, pain throughout his body, and significant weight loss.
Several prisoners started earlier this month an open-ended hunger strike in protest against installation of jamming devices in the prison, which they fear cause cancer, and demanding better conditions mainly for women prisoners. Several Palestinians held in administrative detention without charge or trial for long periods of time are also observing hunger strike demanding an end to their incarceration.
Israeli forces demolished early today a house and two greenhouses and razed a road in the village of al-Walaja, northwest of the southern West Bank city of Bethlehem, said a local activist.
Ibrahim Awadallah, an activist in al-Walaja, told WAFA that Israeli forces escorted a bulldozer as they raided two areas in the village known as Ain Jawaizeh and Khalet al-Hoor and embarked on demolishing a two-story house that belonged to Mustafa Abed Rabbo and two greenhouses belonging to Halimeh Araj under the pretext they were built without permit.
He added that the bulldozer has also destroyed an access road to Ain Jawaizeh, whose land was confiscated by Israel for the construction of the separation barrier and Israeli settlements of Har Gilo and Gilo and made part of the Israeli municipal lines of West Jerusalem.
Awadallah said owners of 180 houses in Ain Jawaizeh have received demolition orders also under the pretext of unpermitted construction.
Clashes erupted between youth and Israeli forces following the latter’s incursion into the village. Soldiers fired teargas, stun grenades and rubber-coated steel rounds at the youths but without causing any bodily harm, said witnesses.
Israel does not allow Palestinian construction in most of al-Walaja, which is originally part of Beit Jala in the Bethlehem district, but particularly in Ain Jawaizeh area of the village, which it has annexed after the 1967 occupation of the West Bank.
Its time to end the Israeli culture of impunity that permitted the Sabra and Shatila massacre to happen 35 years ago
By Nabil Mohamed
On September 16, 1982, following the Israeli invasion of Lebanon, the right-wing Christian Phalange militia stormed the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps in West Beirut and began a massacre which ended in the deaths of hundreds, maybe thousands, of mostly Palestinian civilians. I was 19 years old at the time. By chance and by luck I managed to survive. My mother and five younger sisters and brothers; and my uncle, his wife and eight kids did not.
Israel’s invasion began June 6, 1982. After much destruction, the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), which had defended the camps since its inception, agreed to leave Lebanon in August. They were given American assurances that civilians left behind would be protected. The president-elect of Lebanon, and the leader of the Phalange, was assassinated on September 14th. The Israeli army proceeded to invade and occupy West Beirut.
Israeli troops surrounded the camps to prevent the refugees from leaving and allowed entry of the Phalange, a known enemy of the Palestinians. The Israelis fired flares throughout the night to light up the killing field – thus allowing the militiamen to see their way through the narrow alleys of the camps. The massacre went on for two days. As the bloodbath concluded, Israel supplied the bulldozers to dig mass graves. In 1983, Israel’s investigative Kahan Commission found that Ariel Sharon, the Israeli Defense Minister, bore “personal responsibility“ for the slaughter.
The massacre at Sabra and Shatila was a direct consequence of Israel’s violation of the American-brokered ceasefire and the impunity bestowed on Israel by the US and the international community. This tragic anniversary is a reminder that the international community continues to fail to hold Israel accountable for its violations of international law and to defend the basic human rights of the Palestinian people.
If the international community is obliged to remedy its moral responsibility to the victims of the Sabra and Shatila massacre, by working to end Israel’s occupation and other abuses of Palestinian rights, then the lives of my family members and the others we remember on this 35th year will not have been lost in vain.
Thirty-five years after the massacre, Israel continues to abuse Palestinian rights without consequence and to enable the violence of its proxies, whether it is the Phalange as in the past or today, illegal Israeli settlers living on occupied Palestinian land. Settler attacks on Palestinian property, lands, and persons have terrorised thousands and killed almost entire families, such as last year’s arson attack on a Palestinian home that killed a mother, father, and their 18-month baby. Palestinian complaints filed against settlers go unindicted by Israel. In fact, as documented by Israeli human rights organisation B’Tselem, “the [Israeli] military serves the settlers by allowing the attackers to simply walk away”. When they do take action, Israeli soldiers are more likely to support the settlers, often allowing them to continue attacking Palestinians rather than shielding innocent civilians.
And the Israeli military itself continues to commit war crimes with impunity, as evidenced by Israel’s repeated attacks on the tiny besieged Gaza Strip over the past decade, which have killed thousands of innocent Palestinians with disproportionate and indiscriminate force.
The dehumanisation of Palestinians by Israel also continues. It was this same dehumanisation that led Israel to allow vengeful militiamen to enter the Sabra and Shatila camps and that permits Israelis to occupy another people for fifty years and inflict humiliation and injury. That indifference to the fate of the Palestinians does not belong solely to Israel. Israel’s 69 years of dispossession and half-century of military rule is supported by unconditional American military aid and diplomatic backing. International bodies like the UN Security Council have repeatedly made note of Israel’s human rights violations, but done nothing more.
A fourth generation is now growing up in the squalid refugee camps in Lebanon. In Sabra and Shatila, most living spaces consist of two very small rooms: a bedroom, where the entire family sleeps, and a living room of sorts. There is no ventilation, and hardly any electricity. Most families use battery-powered lighting. Drinking tap water is prohibited, as it is full of bacteria and very salty – it actually corrodes pipes. There are poor sanitary conditions. Medications for all illnesses are in short supply. Narrow alleyways – some with sewage running through – wind through the camps. When it rains these small paths become muddy. Electrical wires hang from dwellings. Young men connect and reconnect wires; from time to time, someone is electrocuted. Foul odours emanate from those crowded conditions. Illness is rampant. The Palestinian refugees in Lebanon long to return from exile to the homeland they were expelled from but are not permitted to do so by Israel, simply because they are not Jewish.
If the international community is obliged to remedy its moral responsibility to the victims of the Sabra and Shatila massacre by working to end Israel’s occupation and other abuses of Palestinian rights, then the lives of my family members and the others we remember on this 35th year will not have been lost in vain.
At least 55 Palestinians were injured today by live bullets and many others by rubber-coated rounds as Israeli forces attacked thousands of protesters taking part in the weekly Great March of Return at Gaza border.
The Ministry of Health reported that The Israeli Forces shot 55 Palestinian non-violent protesters, twenty- nine (29 )were wounded with live ammunition,east of Gaza Strip in the 74 th Friday of the GMRBS.
Dozens of protesters sustained inhalation from teargas fired by the Israeli forces.
Some of the wounded were moved to hospital and many others were treated in the field hospitals.
Over 300 Palestinians have been killed and more than 30,000 injured by Israeli forces since the outbreak of the Great March of Return protests at Gaza border on March 30, 2018.
The weekly protests call for lifting the Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip and for the return of the Palestinian refugees to their ancestral homes in pre-1948 Palestine.