Pakistan Taliban claim deadly attach on TV channel

The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for a deadly attack on a private television channel in the southern city of Karachi.

The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility on Saturday for a deadly attack on a private television channel in the southern city of Karachi and threatened further violence against media outlets.

A spokesman said in a statement that militants had attacked an Express News van on Friday night, killing three employees, because the station had acted as a “propagandist”.

“We claim the responsibility… The reason of the attack is that in the war of ideologies all media channels including Express News are acting as propagandist and as rival party” Ehsanullah Ehsan said.

“We will attack all the media houses that are involved in carrying out propaganda against us” he said.

A technician, driver and security guard were killed when gunmen attacked a van belonging to the paper in the western part of the port city late Friday.

The Pakistani Taliban had attacked Express News in December. “We had not incurred any loss of life so we attacked them again” Ehsan told AFP in a phone call from an undisclosed location.

Media rights watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said last month that Pakistan was among the world’s five deadliest countries for the media in its annual round-up of press freedom violations.

Rangers are currently taking part in a joint operation with police in Karachi aimed at cleansing the city of terrorists and other hardcore criminals including hired killers, gun runners and drug peddlers.

Karachi, a city of 18 million people which contributes 42 percent of Pakistan’s GDP, has been plagued by sectarian, ethnic and political violence for years.

Also in Karachi on Friday, unknown gunmen shot dead a senior Sunni religious leader and two of his associates.

A police spokesman said attackers sprayed bullets at the car of Usman Yar Khan, the provincial deputy chief of Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam, a religious party headed by Sami Ul Haq known in the West as “father of the Taliban”.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

(Source / 18.01.2014)

Radicale moslimbeweging dreigt Atomium af te breken

De radicale moslimbeweging Sharia4Belgium heeft er in een internetfilmpje mee gedreigd het Atomium af te breken. Dat schrijven De Morgen en de kranten van Sud Presse.

In het filmpje roept Abu Imran, de roerganger van Sharia4Belgium, moslims op om ‘zich te bevrijden van afgoden, zoals het Atomium’. Imran, voor de gelegenheid gekleed in legerkledij, houdt zijn toespraak op de Heizel, vlak voor het Atomium. ‘Wij dienen deze monumenten, deze afgoderij, af te breken’, luidt het.

De directeur van het Atomium, Henri Simons (PS), neemt de bedreigingen au sérieux en verscherpt alvast de bewaking.

(www.standaard.be / 17.12.2011)

Eerste aanslag op moskee Indonesië

Politie-agenten bewaken de toegang tot de moskee in Cirebon waar eerder vandaag een bom ontploftePolitie-agenten bewaken de toegang tot de moskee in Cirebon waar eerder vandaag een bom ontplofte
In Indonesië is voor de eerste keer een moskee doelwit geweest van een terreuraanslag. In de stad Cirebon op West-Java blies een zelfmoordterrorist zichzelf in een moskee op, waarbij 28 mensen gewond raakten.

De moskee staat op een politieterrein en de meeste gewonden zijn politiefunctionarissen, onder wie de plaatselijke politiechef.

Wie er achter de aanslag zit is nog niet bekend.

Jemaah Islamiyah

In 2002 kreeg Indonesië voor het eerst te maken met moslimterrorisme, toen twee discotheken op Bali werden aangevallen. De daders waren leden van Jemaah Islamiyah, de Indonesische tak van al-Qaida.

Anders dan in Irak, Pakistan en Afghanistan werden in Indonesië nooit moskeeën aangevallen. Experts zien daarin een teken dat de terreur zich verhardt.

(nos.nl / 16.04.2011)