Power cuts melt Gaza’s ice cream stocks as heatwave boosts demand

A Palestinian girl uses a gas lamp during a power cut in Gaza on August 18, 2020

Lengthy power cuts in the Gaza Strip have melted stocks of ice cream, forcing shops to stop selling it just when a heatwave has boosted demand, Reuters reports.

With summer temperatures hitting 34 degrees Celsius (93 Fahrenheit), ice cream is a popular and relatively inexpensive treat in Gaza, home to 2.3 million people squeezed into a narrow coastal strip between Israel and Egypt.

But owners of several groceries said they had to stop selling it even as a particularly hot summer has increased demand.

“Half of the ice cream melted. What should we do with it? Losses, losses,” supermarket owner, Fouad Awadallah told Reuters.

Gaza would normally require around 500 megawatts of power per day during the summer months of June, July and August, local officials said. It receives 120 megawatts from Israel while the enclave’s single power plant supplies another 60 megawatts.

The shortfall means residents have only around 11 hours of electricity per day and even that is intermittent.

At the Kazem Ice Cream shop, one of the territory’s best known, owner Mohammad Abu Shaban, said he had to use expensive generators to keep the business going.

“I can’t switch off the generators even for a minute once the electricity goes,” he said.

Saly Abu El-Haj, 25, travelled 13 kilometres (8 miles) from her Nusseirat refugee camp for a taste of Kazem’s ice cream in Gaza City centre because other shops had stopped selling it.

“If you want to buy something cheaper from a supermarket, you won’t find it as owners are afraid ice cream would be wasted once the electricity is off,” she said.

READ: Amputated girl Rafah travels from Gaza to Ankara for treatment

(Source / 28.08.2022)

3 Palestinians injured in Israeli raid in West Bank

Israeli forces intervene Palestinian demonstrators with tear gas canisters during demonstration against the construction of Jewish settlements in Hebron in West Bank on August 26, 2022

Three Palestinians were injured Sunday in an Israeli army raid in the occupied West Bank, according to local medical sources, Anadolu reports.

Israeli forces raided the Jenin refugee camp early Sunday and searched several houses, triggering an exchange of fire with Palestinian gunmen, local residents said.

Medical sources at Ibn Sina Hospital in Jenin said three people were injured in the clashes, including one seriously.

Israeli forces pulled out from the area without making any arrests.

No injuries were reported among Israeli soldiers.

The Israeli army frequently carries out wide-ranging arrest campaigns across the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem on the pretext of searching for “wanted” Palestinians.

READ: Power cuts melt Gaza’s ice cream stocks as heatwave boosts demand

(Source / 28.08.2022)

Protesting Israeli repression, Palestinian detainees in Israeli prisons dissolve regulatory bodies

Palestinian detainees have been boycotting the Israeli Military Courts since January 1, 2022

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Palestinian detainees held in Israeli occupation prisons dissolved on Sunday all regulatory bodies of all factions in protest against repressive measures taken by Israeli Prison Service (IPS).

The Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS) said in a statement today that the Palestinian detainees in Israeli prisons dissolved all the regulatory bodies of all factions; this means that the IPS will have to deal with the detainees as individuals and not through the bodies representing them.

Last week, Palestinian detainees in various Israeli prisons staged a series of protests against IPS’s repressive measures taken against them. Last Monday and Wednesday, the detainees refused to take part in the security check and returned their meals as a first step of their campaign against the Israeli repression. They also organized sit-ins in prison yards.

However, the IPS responded by doubling the repressive measures, including “doubled isolation and removal of electrical devices” from prison cells, according to the PPS and “additional personnel have also been called in at different prisons.”

Thus, the detainees have decided to dissolve all the regulatory bodies.

The Supreme National Emergency Committee for Palestinian detainees, an organizational body that regroups all political factions inside Israeli prisons, has decided that detainees in Israeli prisons will embark on an open-ended hunger strike, starting September 1.

“Our battles with the Israeli occupation will continue until the liberation of land,” the National Emergency Committee for Palestinian detainees said in a statement.

Last Tuesday, the Palestinian detainees in Israeli prisons announced they are preparing for new protest actions against punitive measures taken by the IPS.

The PPS noted that the Supreme National Emergency Committee for Palestinian detainees stated that the detainees, with such protest actions, seek to force IPS to halt their repressive measures and reverse all the unjust decisions they have taken in recent months against the detainees. The PPS added that Israeli punitive policies aim to impact the lives and spirits of the detainees; the goal is to target the daily life of the detainees.

The latest decision to launch protest steps came after IPS failed to respect the understandings reached last March and decided to resume the punitive measures against detainees, especially those serving life terms.

It is worth to mention that Palestinian detainees in Israeli prisons have recently taken a series of actions against restrictions imposed on them by Israeli occupation.

About 650 Palestinian administrative detainees have been boycotting Israeli military court since the start of this year. The boycott includes initial hearings to uphold the administrative detention order, as well as appeal hearings and later sessions at the Supreme Court. Under the banner, “Our decision is freedom … no to administrative detention,” the detainees said their move comes as a continuation of longstanding Palestinian efforts “to put an end to the unjust administrative detention.”

In March, Palestinian Prisoners’ Movement, which represents Palestinian detainees from all the factions, announced a mass hunger strike to begin by the end of the month in protest of restriction measures by Israeli authorities implemented after the Gilboa prison break. However, the strike was called off after an agreement was reached the eve of the first day of the strike.

Such tensions came after the heroic act of six Palestinian detainees who managed to free themselves on September 6 2021, from Gilbou prison, a high-security Israeli prison, through a secret tunnel they had reportedly dug beneath the prison, and they were re-arrested later after over a week of large-scale sweep operations throughout occupied Palestine using high-tech systems.

The IPS took a set of punitive and repressive measures following Gilbou’s prison break.

That time, the detainees demanded the Israeli prisons’ administration to end its policy of repression, abuse, and arbitrary transfers, end the repressive measures imposed on the detainees, release isolated prisoners to regular sections, return detention conditions to what they were before September 6, and to end the policy of arbitrary administrative detention and stop the renewal policy for administrative detainees, among other demands.

There are now around 4550 Palestinian detainees held in Israeli prisons, including 31 women, 175 minors, and over 700 held in administrative detention without charge or trial.

(Source / 28.08.2022)

Israeli Soldiers Shoot Three Palestinians, One Seriously, In Jenin

On Sunday, Israeli soldiers shot three Palestinians, including one who suffered life-threatening wounds, in Jenin city, in the northern part of the occupied West.

Several army vehicles invaded Jenin city, leading to protests before the soldiers fired dozens of live rounds, rubber-coated steel bullets, and gas bombs.

Medical sources said the soldiers shot a young man, 18 years of age, with a live round in the chest, causing life-threatening wounds.

The sources added that the soldiers shot another young man, 20, with live fire in the legs, and a third, 27, with a bullet in the stomach.

Palestinian medics rushed the three wounded Palestinians to Ibn Sina Specialized Hospital in Jenin.

Media sources said Palestinian resistance fighters also exchanged fire with the soldiers in Jenin.

The soldiers also invaded Aneen village, west of Jenin, and closed several streets, in addition to Wad Burqin village.

In addition, the army closed the main Jenin-Nazareth Road and the Jenin-Jaffa Road, blocking traffic and forcing the Palestinians to leave.

(Source / 28.08.2022)

Israeli Soldiers Abduct Two Palestinians In Nablus

On Sunday dawn, Israeli soldiers abducted two Palestinians from Nablus, in the northern part of the occupied West Bank.

Media sources said several army jeeps invaded a few neighborhoods in Nablus, leading to protests before the soldiers fired several gas bombs and concussion grenades.

The sources added that the soldiers invaded and ransacked several homes and interrogated many Palestinians before abducting Ashraf al-Ghanama and al-Basha Street.

(Source / 28.08.2022)

Israeli Soldiers Abduct A Palestinian Near Jenin

On Saturday, Israeli soldiers abducted a young man at a military roadblock near Jenin, in the northern part of the occupied West Bank.

Eyewitnesses said the soldiers abducted Alauddin Ali No’eirat, 30, at Barta’a military roadblock, southwest of Jenin, and took him to an unknown destination.

They added that Alauddin is from Meithalun town, south of Jenin.

The soldiers stopped, searched dozens of cars, and interrogated many Palestinians while inspecting their ID cards.

The Israeli army claimed the Palestinian attempted to stab a soldier, adding that the army closed the roadblock for a few hours.

(Source / 28.08.2022)