2 Gazans arrested for allegedly attempting to cross into Israel

A police officer stands guard at the Palestinian Authority (PA) side of the Erez Crossing in Beit Hanoun in the northern Gaza Strip, on April 23, 2022

Israeli forces detained two Palestinians for allegedly attempting to cross from the Gaza Strip into Israel, according to the military on Sunday, Anadolu Agency reported.

A military statement said the two were taken into custody while attempting to cross a security fence in the southern Gaza Strip into Israel.

According to the statement, two knives and a hand grenade were seized from the two men.

There was no comment from the Palestinian authorities on the allegation.

Israel announced the detention of dozens of Palestinians along Gaza’s border areas in past months.

Israel restricts the movement of Palestinians along Gaza’s border area and its forces sometimes shoot or arrest any Palestinian approaching the security fence between Israel and Gaza.

READ: Hamas hails UN report on Israel’s siege on Gaza

(Source / 03.07.2022)

Israel continues to violate rights of Palestinian journalists: NGO

Egyptian journalists gather to commemorate Al-Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, who died as a result of fire opened by Israeli soldiers in the Jenin refugee camp, in Cairo, Egypt on May 17, 2022

An Arab NGO has documented 44 Israeli rights violations against Palestinian journalists in the occupied Palestinian territories during the month of June, Anadolu Agency reported.

In a statement on Sunday, the Journalists Support Committee said Israeli forces deliberately assassinated female journalist Ghufran Warasnah, 31, in the city of Hebron last month.

The Beirut-based NGO added that 17 journalists working for local, Arab and international media agencies were injured in attacks by Israeli forces and settlers in June.

READ: Journalists beware — telling the truth should carry a health warning 

According to the NGO, the Israeli violations varied from verbal and physical assaults, shooting using live or rubber-coated bullets to using pepper gas spray.

It cited that two journalists were detained by Israeli forces in the West Bank last month but were later released, and one female reporter was banned from entering the flashpoint Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied East Jerusalem.

The NGO added that 27 social media accounts for Palestinian journalists were closed by Israeli forces in June for allegedly violations of publication rules.

There was no comment from Israeli authorities on the NGO’s report.

(Source / 03.07.2022)

Palestinian Authority hands over bullet that killed Shireen Abu Akleh to US

People light candles during a vigil in memory of Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- The Palestinian Authority on Saturday handed over to US forensic experts the bullet that killed Palestinian-American journalist of Al Jazeera Shireen Abu Akleh during an Israeli military raid in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin in May.

Akram al-Khatib, general prosecutor for the Palestinian Authority, told Al Jazeera that officials had “agreed to transfer the bullet to the Americans for examination”.

However, conflicting reports over who would conduct the tests on the bullet emerged on Sunday.

An Israeli military spokesman told Israeli occupation Army Radio: “The test will not be American. The test will be an Israeli test, with an American presence throughout.”

Israeli occupation officials said they expect the results of the ballistics test will be ready on Sunday.

Al-Khatib, meanwhile, told Voice of Palestine radio that officials had received “guarantees” from the US “that the examination will be conducted by them and that the Israeli side will not take part”.

In the last five weeks, the Biden administration has pressed the Palestinians to hand over the bullet, U.S. and Israeli officials told Axios. After refusing for weeks, the Palestinians in recent days signaled they might be willing to change course.

On Thursday, Secretary of State Tony Blinken spoke on the phone with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and asked him again to give the bullet to the US, a State Department official said, before US President Joe Biden visits ‘Israel’ and the occupied West Bank on July 13.

51-year-old Palestinian-American journalist Shireen Abu Akleh was shot and killed by Israeli forces in the head while she was covering an Israeli military raid into the Jenin refugee camp despite wearing a press vest on May 11, sparking international outrage and calls for accountability for attacks on journalists. The slain journalist covered events and Israeli aggressions in the occupied Palestinian territory for 25 years.

Multiple witnesses said that Israeli forces killed the veteran journalist. Reports by the investigative group Bellingcat, The Associated Press, CNN, The Washington Post and The New York Times have also come to the same conclusion.

On June 24, the UN’s OHCHR also announced that information it had gathered showed that the bullets that killed Abu Akleh were fired by Israeli forces.

Spokesperson for the UN’s OHCHR, Ravina Shamdasani, told reporters in Geneva, “All information we have gathered is consistent with the finding that the shots that killed Abu Akleh and injured her colleague Ali Sammoudi came from Israeli security forces and not from indiscriminate firing by armed Palestinians.”

The CNN investigation in May said evidence suggests that the veteran journalist was killed in a “targeted attack by Israeli forces”.

Al Jazeera Media Network also announced on May 26 that it had assigned a legal team to refer the killing to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague.

A probe by the Palestinian Authority found that Abu Akleh was deliberately shot by Israeli forces.

The Israel military operational investigation determined, however, that there was a possibility that Abu Akleh was shot by an Israeli soldier, but it was not possible to determine who fired the fatal shot without a ballistics test of the bullet against the guns that were used by the soldiers in the area. It claimed that if an Israeli soldier did shoot her, it was not intentional.

(Source / 03.07.2022)

Palestinian female detainee dies in Israeli occupation prison due to medical negligence

Picture of 68-year-old Palestinian female detainee Saadia Matar who died in Israeli occupation prison of Damon on July 2, 2022

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- 68-year-old Palestinian female detainee, Saadia Matar died on Saturday in an Israeli occupation prison, rising the number of Palestinian detainees who died in Israeli captivity to 230.

The Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS) announced that Saadia Matar died yesterday in the Israeli occupation prison of Damon. Matar was one of 32 Palestinian female detainees held in Israeli prison of Damon near occupied Haifa.

The PPS accused the Damon prison administration of medical negligence as Matar’s health condition had recently been in decline due to multiple chronic illnesses, including high blood pressure and diabetes.

The PPS confirmed that Matar lost consciousness after performing her ablutions for morning prayers. Fellow detainees had immediately transferred her to the prison’s clinic, where she died.

On December 18, 2021, Matar was brutally beaten and arrested by Israeli occupation forces near a military checkpoint in Hebron’s old city for allegedly attempting to carry out a stabbing operation, and this had aggravated her already weak health.

Matar, a mother of eight from Idna town in Hebron, was the oldest Palestinian female detainee. With her death, the total number of Palestinians who have died in Israeli prisons since 1967 rises to 230.

The PPS also said that Matar attended a court hearing in a wheelchair on 28 June, when the prosecution sought a five-year prison sentence and 15,000 shekel ($4,200) fine.

The PPS said that the female Palestinian detainees at Damon face particularly harsh conditions and suffer from ongoing neglect.

Several Palestinian prisoners’ advocacy groups stated they will seek to open an investigation to reveal the circumstances surrounding Matar’s death.

The Palestinian commission of detainees and ex-detainees affairs has called today the occupation authorities to hand over Matar’s body to her family in order to uncover the reasons led to her death.

There are currently 4,700 Palestinians held in Israeli prisons, including 32 women and 170 children, according to Palestinian prisoners’ rights group of Addameer.

Of those, more than 600 Palestinian detainees suffer from a wide range of illnesses and lack of access to proper medical care, 200 of them have been diagnosed with chronic diseases, including 22 who have been diagnosed with cancer, Al-Haq, an independent Palestinian human rights organisation has recently said.

(Source / 03.07.2022)

Palestinian teenager succumbs to serious injuries sustained by Israeli gunfire in Jenin

Palestinian teenager, Kamel Alawneh, who succumbed on July 3 to wounds he sustained by the Israeli occupation gunfire in Jenin. Kamel was named after his brother Kamel who was shot also dead by the Israeli occupation forces in 2003

Jenin (QNN)- A Palestinian teenager succumbed on Sunday to critical injuries sustained by Israeli gunfire during confrontations erupted yesterday in Jaba’a town, south of occupied West Bank city of Jenin.

The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed that 18-year-old Kamel Alawneh succumbed today to injuries he sustained in the belly and right arm by the Israeli occupation gunfire on Saturday during confrontations in the Jaba’a town.

The slain Palestinian was named after his brother Kamel who was also shot dead by the Israeli occupation forces in 2003 at the age of 18.

The West Bank city of Jenin has been the centre of Israeli aggressions and military operations since the few past months, as 28 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since the start of this year in Jenin alone, including Al Jazeera’s veteran journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry.

On June 17, three Palestinian youths were all assassinated by Israeli forces during a military operation in the eastern neighbourhood of the Jenin refugee camp. Yousef Salah, 23, Bara Lahlouh, 24, and Laith Abu Srour, 24, all from Jenin, were killed when about 30 Israeli military vehicles raided Jenin at 2am local time, surrounded a vehicle in al-Marah area in the east of the city, and opened heavy fire at the three youths sitting inside.

(Source / 03.07.2022)

Updated: Israeli Soldiers Abduct Eleven Palestinians In Ramallah

On Sunday, Israeli soldiers abducted eleven Palestinians from several parts of the Ramallah governorate in the central West Bank.

In Ein Yabroud town, northeast of Ramallah, the soldiers abducted Suleiman Qatash from Ein Yabroud town, northeast of Ramallah, after invading and violently searching his home.

The soldiers also abducted Abbas Abdul-Hakim Hammad, 35, Mahmoud Bashit Hammad, Thalji Majdi Awwad, 18, Mohammad Dirar Hamed, 17, and Samer Ali Hamed, 40, after invading and ransacking their homes in Silwad town, east of Ramallah.

In Nabi Saleh village, northwest of Ramallah, the soldiers abducted Qussai Mahmoud Tamimi, 20, Ahmad Mohammad Tamimi, Soheib Samih Ramimi, 19, and Abada Nasser Tamimi, 20, from their homes.

In addition, the soldiers abducted Abdul-Hafeth Dar Ayyash, from Kafr Malek town, northeast of Ramallah, while crossing the al-Karama Border Terminal between the West Bank and Jordan.

In related news, the soldiers invaded Hindaza town and Beit Sahour city, east of the West Bank city of Bethlehem, searched homes, and summoned Hamza al-Ajjouri and Abdul-Rahma Shu’aibat for interrogation.

Updated From:
Israeli Soldiers Abduct Six Palestinians Near Ramallah
Jul 3, 2022, at 09:39

The soldiers also invaded the home of Ghassan Hermas in the Khalayel al-Louz area in Bethlehem and violently searched it.

On Sunday dawn, Israeli soldiers abducted six Palestinians from their homes in Silwad and Yabroud towns, east and northeast of Ramallah, in the central part of the occupied West Bank.

Several army jeeps invaded Silwad before the soldiers stormed and ransacked homes and abducted five Palestinians.

The abducted Palestinians have been identified as Abbas Abdul-Hakim Hammad, 35, Mohammad Mahmoud Hammad, 19, Thalji Majdi Awwad, 18, Mohammad Dirar Abu Hamed, 17, and Samer Ali Hamad.

The soldiers also invaded Yabroud town and searched a few homes before abducting Suleiman Qatash.

(Source / 03.07.2022)

Israeli Army Attacks Woman’s Funeral In Hebron

On Sunday, Israeli soldiers attacked the funeral procession of a Palestinian woman in Beit Ummar town, north of Hebron in the southern part of the occupied West Bank.

Media sources said the soldiers attacked the Palestinian mourners, including those carrying the coffin of the deceased woman, Nayfa at-Tous, and struck them with batons.

The soldiers also fired gas bombs at the mourners and tried to prevent them from reaching the local cemetery.

Omar al-Aloul, a relative of the deceased woman, told Palestine TV that the mourners were trying to reach the cemetery at the entrance of Beit Ummar, near the permanent military roadblock, when the soldiers attacked them.

Omar added that Nayfa is the sister of Mohammad at-Tous, 65, from al-Jab’a town near Bethlehem, who was taken prisoner by the army on October 6th, 1985, after the soldiers shot him with several live rounds and repeatedly assaulted him. He survived the attack and was sentenced to life in prison.

Mohammad was the only survivor of an armed resistance group assassinated by the Israeli army in an ambush in Hebron. At the time, the soldiers killed Mohammad Hasan Sa’id, Mahmoud Adwan, Mahmoud Najjar and Ali Khalayla.

(Source / 03.07.2022)