EU: Forced displacement of Palestinians breaches Israel’s legal obligations

Residents of eight Palestinian villages, located in southern part of the firing zone, are at risk of forced displacement

Hebron (QNN)- The European Union warned on Tuesday that forced displacement of Palestinian families in the Hebron Hills would be a breach of Israel’s obligations under international law.

“The residents, many of whom also exposed to settler violence, are at risk of forcible transfer,” EU Delegation to the Palestinians tweeted yesterday.

“Beyond a devastating impact on children, women and families, expulsion would be in breach of Israel’s obligations as the occupying power.”

It also said this would be “a violation of international law and basic human rights.”

Yesterday, the EU representatives, member states and like-minded countries attended Israel’s Supreme Court hearing on the permanent expulsion of more than 1,300 Palestinians from their homes in Masafer Yatta in the South Hebron Hills.

1/2 Today, EUREP, Member States & like-minded countries attended the Supreme Court hearing on the permanent expulsion of more than 1300 Palestinians from their homes in Masafer-Yatta in South Hebron Hills, declared part of a firing zone for Israeli military purposes.

Masafer Yatta: “Firing Zone 918”

Situated in “Area C,” Masafer Yatta is under full Israeli military and civil control.

There are 20 small Palestinian villages in this area, with ancient cave structures built into the rock alongside newer homes built in recent decades as the communities have grown.

In the early 1980s, ‘Israel’ declared an area of about 3,000 hectares in the South Hebron Hills known as Masafer Yatta a restricted military zone.

It also dubbed it ‘Firing Zone 918’.

Dozens of Palestinian families had been living in the area for years, since before ‘Israel’ occupied the West Bank in 1967.

They lived in 12 small villages, in natural or man-made caves, some all year round and others only seasonally.

The 12 Palestinian villages are: Jinbeh, Al-Mirkez, Al-Halaweh, Halat a-Dab’a, Al-Fakheit, A-Tabban, Al-Majaz, A-Sfai, Megheir Al-Abeid, Mufagara, A-Tuba, and Sarura.

In 1999, the military expelled all 700 or so residents of these communities on the grounds that they were “illegally living in a firing zone”.

In response to an appeal by the Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), the Supreme Court issued an interim injunction according to which the residents were allowed to return to their villages until a final decision is made by the court.

In 2012, ‘Israel’ sent an updated stance to the High Court, saying it plans to expel eight out of the 12 villages from the firing zone.

Residents of these eight villages, located in the southern part of the firing zone, are at risk of forced displacement.

This has left the residents’ lives on hold for two decades, as ‘Israel’ bars them from any development, including building homes and essential public structures or connecting to power or water networks.

(Source / 16.03.2022)

Palestinian administrative detainees continue to boycott Israeli Military Courts

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Around 490 Palestinian administrative detainees in Israeli prisons continue to boycott Israeli Military Courts for the 75th day in a row.

Palestinian prisoner advocacy groups said this move came in protest against Israel’s administrative detention without charges or trials.

The Palestinian detainees have been boycotting the Israeli Military Courts since January 1, 2022.

The boycott includes initial hearings to uphold the administrative detention order, as well as appeal hearings and later sessions at the Supreme Court.

“Our Decision is Freedom … No to Administrative Detention”

Under the banner, “Our decision is freedom … no to administrative detention,” the detainees said their move comes as a continuation of longstanding Palestinian efforts “to put an end to the unjust administrative detention.”

They noted that Israel’s use of this policy has expanded in recent years to include women, children and elderly people.

“Israeli military courts are an important aspect for the occupation in its system of oppression,” the detainees said.

They also described courts as a “barbaric, racist tool.”

This tool “has consumed hundreds of years from the lives of our people under the banner of administrative detention, no through nominal and fictitious courts.”

Since March 2002, the number of Palestinians in administrative detention has never fallen below 100.

In 2015 alone, ‘Israel’ issued 1248 administrative detention orders.

There are now 4,400 Palestinians in Israeli prisons, including around 490 administrative detainees.

‘Israel’ issued 1,114 administrative detention orders in 2020.

In 2021, however, ‘Israel’ issued 1,595 administrative detention orders against the Palestinians.

In January 2022, ‘Israel’ issued 96 administrative detention orders while 107 in February.

Since the start of 2022 till the end of February, ‘Israel’ has issued 203 administrative detention orders against Palestinians.

(Source / 16.03.2022)

Palestinian factions condemn Israel’s Tuesday killings

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Several Palestinian factions condemned Israel’s Tuesday killings of three Palestinians, including a child.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine said, “Comprehensive resistance is the most effective way to resist the Zionist enemy.”

“The continuation of our people in confronting the Israeli occupation forces is a call to unite more in face of this continuous Zionist aggression.”

Hamas spokesman Abdullatif al-Qanou also said, “The blood of the martyrs will continue to fuel our people’s revolution against the Zionist occupier.”

The Palestinian Presidential spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeineh said, “Our people will not accept the continuing occupation measures against them.”

“They have all options to act in any way and anywhere to preserve their rights and confront the occupation.”

Earlier on Tuesday, IOF shot dead three Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and Al-Naqab.

The three are: Nader Haytham Rayan (17), Alaa Shaham (22), and Sanad Salem al-Harbad (27).

Israeli occupation forces have shot and killed 21 Palestinians since the start of 2022.

(Source / 16.03.2022)

PCHR: “IOF Kill Two Palestinian Civilians, Including Child, and Wound Others in Balata and Qalandia Refugee Camps in West Bank”

The Palestinian Center For Human Rights: Tuesday morning, Israeli occupation forces (IOF) moved into Balata refugee camp in eastern Nablus and Qalandia refugee camp in northern occupied East Jerusalem, where they killed two Palestinian civilians, including a child, and wounded 9 others during clashes with civilians at both camps. In the two incidents, IOF used excessive force to disperse the civilian protestors.

According to investigations conducted by the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) and an eyewitness statement, at approximately 06:00 on Tuesday, 15 March 2022, an Israeli special force from “Yamam Unit” sneaked into al-Quds Street adjacent to Balata camp, east of Nablus, via white Volkswagen “Shuttle” vehicle and surrounded ‘Ammar ‘Arafat (22)’s house.

A few minutes later, several Israeli backup patrols moved into the camp, while “Yamam Unit” arrested ‘Arafat and slowly withdrew towards Huwwara military checkpoint. During their withdrawal, Palestinian young men chased the patrols and threw stones at them, while IOF opened fire at the Palestinians, wounding 3 of them, including a child. At around 06:30, a motorcycle carrying two children was passing behind the Israeli patrols and traveling on the left side of al-Quds Street near al-Quds School.

IOF opened fire at the motorcycle, so the two children got off and ran towards a sloping area near the school while IOF continued to open fire at them. After IOF’s withdrawal, the body of Nader Haitham Fathi Rayan (16) was found and taken to Rafidia Hospital in Nablus. It turned out later that Rayan sustained wounds in his abdomen after being shot with a live bullet that entered his abdomen and exited his chest. Also, he was shot with another live bullet that penetrated his chest from the right side.

According to PCHR’s investigations and eyewitnesses’ testimonies regarding another murder crime in Qalandia camp, at approximately 07:30 on Tuesday, 15 March 2022, a large Israeli force moved into Qalandia camp, north of occupied East Jerusalem, from two sides. During which, Israeli snipers topped the roofs of houses and residential buildings while IOF raided and searched several houses and arrested Wesam ‘Ataa Abu Latifa and Mohammed Hasan Abu Latifa.

Afterwards, dozens of Palestinian young men gathered on the streets of the camp and topped the roofs of the houses. They threw stones and empty bottles at the soldiers, who fired heavy live bullets at them. As a result, 7 civilians sustained live bullet wounds; one of them was ‘Alaa Mohammed al-Shahaam (24), who was shot with several live bullets in his head and all over his body while topped one of the houses’ roof. All the wounded were taken a Medical Complex in Ramallah, where medical sources announced the death of al-Shahaam upon his arrival at the hospital while the health condition of the other wounded was stable.

PCHR points out that IOF murder crimes against Palestinian civilians have been on the rise, including the use of snipers and direct shooting to kill, harm, and cause severe injuries, ascertaining that these crimes are done without justification So far in 2022, IOF have killed 16 Palestinian civilians, including 4 children, and wounded tens of others, including women and children; all of them are residents of the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem.

(Source / 16.03.2022)

Israeli Colonizers Attack A Palestinian Home Near Nablus

On Tuesday, illegal Israeli colonizers attacked a Palestinian home in Burqa village, northwest of Nablus in the northern part of the occupied West Bank.

Ghassan Daghlas, a Palestinian official who monitors Israel’s illegal colonialist activities in the northern West Bank, said the colonizers attacked the home of Eyad Ragheb Salah.

Daghlas said the colonizers hurled stones at the Palestinian home and tried to invade it before the locals rushed to help the family and forced the Israeli assailants to leave.

The colonizers, who gathered in the dozens in a nearby area, also closed many roads with big rocks and prevented the Palestinians from crossing and reaching their lands.

Burqa is subject to constant Israeli violations by the soldiers and the colonizers coming from the illegal Psagot, Givat Assaf, and Migron.

In related news, Israeli colonizers invaded the Ein Samia area near Kafr Malek village, east of the central West Bank city of Ramallah, and stole several sheep.

In addition, the colonizers uprooted at least two hundred Palestinian olive saplings and stole them in the Khallet Hassan area, west of Bidiya, west of the central West Bank city of Salfit.

(Source / 16.03.2022)

Soldiers Injure Dozens Of Palestinians In Nablus

On Tuesday evening, Israeli soldiers injured several Palestinians with rubber-coated steel bullets and caused dozens to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation after the Israeli army invaded Nablus in northern West Bank, to accompany groups of illegal colonizers into Joseph’s Tomb area, east of the city.

Local sources said several army jeeps accompanied the colonizers who came in a few buses and closed roads to Palestinian traffic before heading towards Joseph’s Tombs.

They added that the invasion led to protests before the soldiers shot several Palestinians with rubber-coated steel bullets and caused dozens to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation.

Joseph, the patriarch, is revered by Jews, Muslims, Christians, and Samaritans alike; however, the Israeli military allows Jews to visit as part of organized pilgrimages, despite the site being in Area A, where the PA has complete control and prohibits Muslims from worshiping at the site.

Ultra-orthodox and nationalist Jews regularly try to visit the shrine without approval, as many Jews believe the tomb to be the final resting place of the biblical figure in the Old Testament.

Palestinians believe that Joseph’s Tomb is the funerary monument to Sheikh Yousif Dweikat, a local religious figure.

|Israeli Army Kills Palestinian Young Man Near Jerusalem|

In related news, illegal Israeli colonizers attacked a Palestinian home in Burqa village, northwest of Nablus.

In addition, the colonizers uprooted at least two hundred Palestinian olive saplings, and stole them in the Khallet Hassan area, west of Bidiya, west of the central West Bank city of Salfit.

|Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Teen In Nablus|

On Tuesday morning, Israeli soldiers invaded the Balata refugee camp in eastern Nablus and Qalandia refugee camp in northern occupied East Jerusalem, killed two Palestinian civilians, including a child, and wounded nine others.

(Source / 16.03.2022)

Israeli Army To Demolish Seven Homes Near Jericho

On Tuesday, Israeli soldiers invaded the ad-Dyouk at-Tihta village, west of Jericho, in northeastern West Bank, and posted demolition orders targeting seven Palestinian homes.

Media sources said several army jeeps invaded the village before posting the demolition orders on seven homes the occupation army alleges were built “state lands.”

Issam Samrat, the secretary of the Fateh movement in Jericho, said the seven Palestinians owned the recently constructed homes and are on lands they privately own.

Four of the homeowners have been identified are Raed Samrat, Arafat Mleihat, his brother Hisham, and Maher Qonbar.

Five days ago, the soldiers invaded the same area and handed one home a demolition order. The invasion came just a day after the army issued demolition orders against twenty Palestinian homes in the village.

Ein ad-Dyouk, to the northern of Noweima and ad-Douka al-Foqa villages, west of Jericho, is inhabited by about 1300 Palestinians, mainly farmers.

(Source / 16.03.2022)

Soldiers Shoot A Palestinian, Abduct Two, In Jenin

On Wednesday at dawn, Israeli soldiers invaded Jenin of Qabatia town in the northern part of the occupied West Bank, abducted two Palestinians, and shot one.

The soldiers invaded Jenin, stormed and ransacked a home in the Kharrouba neighborhood, and abducted a young man, Adham Mohammad Turkman.

Many Palestinians protested the invasion before the soldiers attacked them with live rounds, rubber-coated steel bullets, and gas bombs.

Medical sources said the soldiers shot a young man with a live round in the back and caused several others to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation.

In addition, the soldiers invaded Qabatia town, south of Jenin, searched homes, and abducted a teenage boy, identified as Wael Zakarna.

On Tuesday evening, Israeli soldiers injured several Palestinians with rubber-coated steel bullets and caused dozens to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation after the Israeli army invaded Nablus in northern West Bank, to accompany groups of illegal colonizers into Joseph’s Tomb area, east of the city.

(Source / 16.03.2022)