‘Israel’ arrested countless Palestinians for ‘no reason’, says ex-top Shin Bet officer

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- A former senior member of Israel’s security service Shin Bet said the agency would arrest Palestinians in Lebanon during the Lebanon War in the 1980s “for no reason.”

Haim Rubovitch, who served for 25 years in the Shin Bet in posts ranging from case officer to head of a directorate, made the remarks in a series of conversations with Israeli newspaper, Haaretz, and published earlier this week.

Rubovitch was a case officer at the time of the Lebanon War, in charge of one of the largest Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon at the time, the Rashidiya refugee camp.

“We made arrests in crazy numbers. We filled the Ansar detention camp to capacity,” the ex-top Shin Bet officer stated.

“Throw a stone and you would hit a wanted person. We arrested countless people for no reason,” he said.

“The truth is that the only way to survive in Lebanon in those years was for someone to join an armed militia,” Rubovitch said of the situation for Palestinians at refugee camps.

‘Israel’ made a “mistake” when it did not ally itself with Lebanese figures linked to Amal, then the biggest and most influential Shia militia in Lebanon, he said.

Rubovitch said he left the agency in 2005 because he had grown tired of the security sector, and had progressed as far up the chain of command as he possibly could have.

On recent events, Rubovitch said “a line was crossed” when the Israeli occupation government last year allowed Shin Bet to use mobile phone tracing to locate persons who came into contact with victims of COVID-19.

Shin Bet used the same technology to track down Palestinians amid unrest over Israeli incursions on the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.

Text messages were sent to Palestinians, warning: “We will hold you accountable”.

Speaking with Haaretz about his experience, he said, “If the goal is to continue to control [Palestinians] fate, then we have had great success. If we had any aspiration for a permanent solution, though, we didn’t move forward by even a millimeter…The situation that has been created [in which Israel controls the fate of the West Bank Palestinians] is not moral, not Jewish, not principled and not anything. Do you think the Palestinians will get used to it? That will never happen.”

(Source / 22.02.2022)

For 198th time, Israeli forces demolish Al-Araqib Bedouin village

Al-Araqib (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces demolished Al-Araqib village in the Al-Naqab Desert earlier on Tuesday for the 198th time, despite the severe weather conditions.

Reports said Israeli occupation forces raided the village, which is rebuilt by its residents after each time it has been demolished, and removed all the tents and destroyed the tin shelters placed on the land by the residents to provide a roof over their heads in the cold weather, leaving them homeless.

Translation: A Palestinian documenting how Israeli occupation forces demolish his own shelter in Al-Araqib village

Al-Araqib was demolished for the first time in 2000. Today’s demolition is the 198th so far and the second since the start of 2022. In 2021, it was demolished 14 times.

‘Israel’ does not “recognise” the village, but its residents point out that they own the land and have done, since the Ottoman period, decades before ‘Israel’ was created in occupied Palestine.

Despite the repeated demolitions, every time the residents of Al-Araqib rebuild their tents and small homes. However, the occupation forces return to raze them, sometimes several times in a month. There are 22 Palestinian families living in the village.

Al-Araqib village is one of 35 “unrecognised” Arab villages in the area, and is constantly targeted for demolition by Israeli bulldozers, for which Bedouins are then charged.

Lately, the Al-Naqab Desert villages have been under the Israeli threat of demolition and bulldozing works.

Last month, for over three days, hundreds of peaceful Palestinians took part in large demonstrations in several villages of the Al-Naqab against Israel’s demolition and bulldozing works in their lands.

The Higher Follow Up Committee of Arabs in the Naqab, a local umbrella body that represents Palestinians in the area, also announced a general strike in response to the Israeli demolitions.

“We took the decision to undertake proactive measures, beginning with adopting a cumulative resistance programme over a period of six months that will lead to a regional general strike and a massive demonstration outside the prime minister’s office, and the internationalisation of the issue to expose the racist practices [of Israeli authorities] before international institutions,” the committee said in a statement.

The general strike was announced in villages facing the threat of Israeli demolition including al-Atrash, al-Sawa, al-Zarnouq, al-Ruwais, Beir Haddaj and Khirbet Watan.

However, the Israeli occupation forces stormed the Palestinian villages in the Al-Naqab desert and started violently attacking and arresting the peaceful protesters who gathered to denounce the demolition work.

The Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters and sound bombs directly and intensively towards the protesters to disperse them, resulting in the suffocation of dozens of them due to gas inhalation.

They also used skunk water cannons to disperse the nonviolent protesters.

This all started on January 9, when the Jewish National Fund (JNF) began several days of the so-called “planting trees” on disputed land in the Al-Naqab.

For over three days, the Israeli bulldozers carried out demolitions on lands of local Bedouins used for cultivation.

The forces closed off the villages and prevented the residents from entering their lands. Thus, the Palestinian residents moved their protests to the entrance of the villages.

During and following the protests, Israeli forces arrested over 140 Palestinians from the Al-Naqab, including minors.

The Israeli demolitions in al-Naqab are part of a controversial Israeli plan, led by the JNF, to plant trees across some 40,000 dunams (15 square miles) of the Naqab.

In December, Israeli forces attacked Palestinians in six villages: al-Mashash, al-Zarnouq, Bier al-Hamam, al-Ruwais, al-Gharaa, and Khirbet Watan, destroying crops and excavating soil.

The JNF and the Israel Land Authority (ILA) were planning to plant hundreds of trees on lands from the six Bedouin villages, which had all received demolition orders and faced the displacement of thousands of residents “in the name of developing the area.”

‘Israel’ has used the forestation projects as a tactic for land grabs and to prevent Palestinians from returning to lands from which they have been displaced.

The residents say that such policies are an attempt to pressure them into being internally displaced despite Bedouins having lived on or near these lands prior to Israel’s establishment in 1948.

There are almost 100,000 Palestinians live in 35 Bedouin villages in the Al-Naqab and are all unrecognized by the Israeli occupation government who views the Bedouin residents of these villages as illegal squatters and does not provide them with basic services or infrastructure, including electricity, water, sewage systems, roads, schools or hospitals.

(Source / 22.02.2022)

Israeli Army Abducts Two Palestinians Near Jenin

On Tuesday at dawn, Israeli soldiers abducted two young Palestinian men from the towns of Jaba’ and Anza, south of the northern West Bank city of Jenin, and also invaded Faqqu’a village, northeast of Jenin, leading to protests.

Media sources said the soldiers invaded and searched several homes in Jaba’ and abducted a young man, identified as Yousef Zayyad Shqeirat.

They added that the soldiers also searched homes in Anza, and abducted Abdul-Rahman Barahma.

In addition, protests took place when the soldiers invaded Faqqu’a village; the soldiers fired several live rounds, concussion grenades, and gas bombs.

(Source / 22.02.2022)

Soldiers Abduct Ten Palestinians, Shoot One, Near Ramallah

Earlier Tuesday, Israeli soldiers invaded the al-Jalazoun refugee camp, north of the central West Bank city of Ramallah, searched homes, and abducted ten Palestinians, in addition to wounding one during ensuing protests.

Medical sources said the soldiers injured one Palestinian in the face before local medics rushed him to a hospital in Ramallah.

The soldiers invaded and ransacked several barbershops owned by Ahmad Sharaka and Ahmad Fahmi Tahaina, causing damage.

The soldiers also invaded and violently searched many homes in the refugee camp and interrogated dozens of residents before abducting ten.

The abducted Palestinians are Mahmoud Wajdi Safi, 27, Ma’rouf Bajes Nakhla, 32, Hotheifa Jalal al-Biyari, 17, Mohannad Fawzi al-Allam, 15, Fayez Shehda Tirawi, 18, Eyad Anwar Dalaysha, 24, Talha Mustafa Salama, 35, Mohammad Marwan al-Kanash, 34, Mohammad Sami Hamdan, 21, and Yousef Abu Sharifa, 16.

In related news, the soldiers abducted two young Palestinian men from the towns of Jaba’ and Anza, south of the northern West Bank city of Jenin, and invaded Faqqu’a village, northeast of Jenin, leading to protests.

(Source / 22.02.2022)

Israeli Soldiers Abduct Seven Palestinians In Hebron

Israeli soldiers abducted seven Palestinians, including a former political prisoner, from their homes in the al-‘Arroub refugee camp, north of Hebron city, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank.

Local sources said several army jeeps invaded the refugee camp and surrounded many homes before invading and violently searching them.

The abducted Palestinians have been identified as:

  1. Former political prisoner Hamza Jaber Abu Sill.
  2. Anas Amjad Jawabra.
  3. Saed Mohammad Halayqa.
  4. Moayyad Sami Sharbi.
  5. Ezzeddin Mohammad al-Hoor.
  6. Rabah Bilal Ribah al-Fdeilat.
  7. Aysar Bilal Ribah al-Fdeilat. (Rabah’s brother)

In related news, the soldiers invaded Tubas, in northeastern West Bank, before storming and ransacking the home of Bashar Mohammad Abdul-Razeq, and informed him they were looking for his son, Fadi, but he wasn’t at home. The soldiers told Mohammad that Fadi needed to turn himself in or face the consequences.

Also, the soldiers invaded the al-Jalazoun refugee camp, north of the central West Bank city of Ramallah, searched homes, and abducted ten Palestinians, in addition to wounding one during ensuing protests.

The soldiers also abducted two young Palestinian men from the towns of Jaba’ and Anza, south of the northern West Bank city of Jenin, in addition to Faqqu’a village, northeast of Jenin, leading to protests.

(Source / 22.02.2022)

Israeli Army Demolishes Al-Arakib Bedouin Village

Dozens of Israeli soldiers and police officers invaded, on Tuesday morning, the Bedouin village of al-Arakib, in the Negev and demolished it.

Media sources said the soldiers forced the Palestinians out of their dwellings and tents before demolishing the entire community.

The village’s demolition is the second this year, and the 198 time since the year 2000, including when it was demolished fourteen times in 2021.

Each time the community is demolished, the Palestinians rebuild their dwelling with wood, nylon tarps, and tin to shelter themselves from the cold winters and the extreme summer heat.

They remain determined to counter all attempts to uproot and displace them as part of Israel’s ongoing violations against them in the Negev.

Approximately twenty-two families consisting of around eight hundred Palestinian inhabit al-Arakib and make their living by raising livestock and agriculture; however, Israel keeps displacing them.

In the 1970s, the residents proved ownership of only 1250 Dunams of the thousands of Dunams the Palestinians own in the area.

Al-Arakib is one of the fifty-one villages that predate Israel and remain unrecognized due to the Israeli plans to remove the indigenous people to replace them with settlements, shopping centers, and for military purposes.

It is located to the north of Be’er as-Sabe’ (Beersheba) in the Negev desert, in the southern part of historic Palestine.

Al-Arakib was first established during the Ottoman era and has been subject to constant Israeli violations since the year 1951. It was first demolished, and its residents were displaced on July 27th, 2010.

In 2005, Israel approved the so-called “Negev Development Plan” aiming at building shopping centers and tourist areas, but at the same time displacing around some 65.000 Bedouins living in what Israel refers to as “unrecognized villages.”

Al-Arakib village in the Negev is one of the most impacted “unrecognized villages” in the Negev.

The plan calls for annexing more than 700.000 Dunams (185329 acres) and displacing the residents by demolishing 14 villages in the area.

All unrecognized villages in the Negev are under continuing Israeli attacks and violations, as Tel Aviv does not recognize the residents’ right to live on their land — land they inhabited long before the 1948 creation of the state of Israel in historic Palestine.

The Bedouin communities in the Negev, especially those designated as “unrecognized villages,” although they predate Israel, are subject to frequent demolitions of homes, tents, and structures, including barns, land confiscation, the uprooting and bulldozing of farmlands, along with various other violations.

About 240,000 Palestinians live in the Negev desert, half of whom live in villages and Bedouin camps, some of which have been in place for hundreds of years.

The Israeli occupation authorities refuse to provide them with basic services such as water and electricity and try by all means and methods to push the Palestinian Arabs to despair and frustration to uproot and displace them.

Moreover, many Palestinian cities and towns in historic Palestine have been facing increasing violations, especially the refusal to grant them construction permits to build homes, industrial workshops, and stores even though they are citizens of Israel and are supposed to be given equal rights.

|Adalah: The Illegality of Israel’s Plan to Transfer Palestinian Bedouin Citizens into ‘Refugee Displacement Camps’ in the (Negev)|

The violations occur in various areas, especially in Ein Mahil, Haffa, Shefa-Amr, Qalansawe, Kafr Yasif, Ar’ara, Um al-Fahem, Jaffa, Lod, Hurfeish, and Sakhnin, in addition to many communities in the Negev.

Article 17 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights states in section 1: Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others, and in section 2: No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

(Source / 22.02.2022)

Settlers and Soldiers Obstruct Children from Reaching School Near Nablus

Israeli colonists, under the protection of occupation soldiers obstructed, on Tuesday, Palestinian schoolchildren form reaching their school in Al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya village, south of Nablus in the northern West Bank, the Palestinian News & Information Agency (WAFA) reported.

In a similar event which occurred on Monday, settlers, along with soldiers blocked Palestinian students from being able to attend their school by obstructing the main entrance to the village, according to the head of the village council, Yacoub Awais.

Awais added that the settlers and soldiers also obstructed Palestinian civilians from reaching their workplaces, sparking protests by the Palestinians, which soldiers responded to with tear gas, causing civilians to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation.

Soldiers Injure Dozens Of Schoolchildren near Nablus |

Soldiers Assault, Injure Three Journalists near Nablus |

Israeli Settlers Storm Village Near Nablus Under Full Protection of the Army |

Army Fires Tear Gas at School Children near Nablus |

(Source / 22.02.2022)