Israel court refuses to release Palestinian prisoner after 124-day hunger strike

Fawzia Fasfous, the mother of Palestinian prisoner Kayed Fasfous, in Hebron, West Bank on November 1, 2021. [Hisham K. K. Abu Shaqra - Anadolu Agency]
Fawzia Fasfous, the mother of Palestinian prisoner Kayed Fasfous, in Hebron, West Bank on November 1, 2021

The Israeli High Court yesterday rejected an appeal submitted by the Detainees and Ex-Detainees Affairs Commission calling for the immediate release of a Palestinian prisoner who has been on hunger strike for 124 days.

Kayed Al-Fasfous, who who launched the strike in protest against his continued administrative detention, is facing the risk of death.

This is the fourth time the High Court has rejected appeals for his release.

Al-Fasfous, 34, from the southern West Bank town of Dura, has been on an open-ended hunger strike to demand an end of his indefinite detention without charge or trial by the Israeli occupation authorities.

On Saturday, doctors at the Israeli Barzilai Medical Centre, where he is being held, told his family that he was close to death.

Hamas: We must save the 5 hunger striking Palestinian prisoners

Al-Fasfous is experiencing an intermittent loss of consciousness, irregular heartbeats, tingling in the chest, a decrease in blood pressure, kidney and heart problems, a shortage of fluids in his body and recurring pains and aches across his body, which makes him vulnerable.

Four other prisoners are also on hunger strike calling for an end to their administrative detention, including Alaa Al-Araj who has been on strike for 100 days, Hisham Abu Hawwash, 92 days, Louay Al-Ashkar, 36 days, and Ayyad Al-Harmi, 54 days.

Rights groups say that as of October more than 500 Palestinian prisoners have been held on administrative detention.

Last week, Palestinian prisoner Miqdad Al-Qawasmi agreed to end his hunger strike, which was ongoing for 113 days, after Israeli prison authorities agreed to release him in February.

(Source / 16.11.2021)

Undercover Soldiers Kidnap A Palestinian, Injure Dozens, In Nablus

Undercover Israeli soldiers infiltrated, on Monday, into a residential building in the Aseera Street, in the northern area of the northern West Bank city of Nablus, and kidnapped one Palestinian, in addition to wounding dozens, including three with live fire, during ensuing protests.

Local sources said the undercover soldiers were driving a civilian car before invading a residential building, and kidnapped Abdul-Hakim Shahin, from his home.

After kidnapping the young man, dozens of soldiers invaded the area, leading to protest, before the army fired many live rounds, rubber-coated steel bullets, gas bombs, and concussion grenades.

Ahmad Jibril, the head of the Emergency Department of the Nablus branch of the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) said the soldiers shot three young Palestinian men with live ammunition, before the medics rushed them to Radia hospital, in Nablus, for treatment.

Jibril added that more than 20 Palestinians suffered the effects of tear gas inhalation, and a few others sustained cuts and bruises.

(Source / 16.11.2021)

Israeli Soldiers Uproot 250 Olive Trees In Salfit

Israeli soldiers uprooted, Monday evening, at least 250 Palestinian olive trees in the al-Ras area in Salfit, in the central West Bank.

Resident Fayez Abdul-Dayem said the soldiers invaded large tracts of farmlands before bulldozing and uprooting more than 250 trees, that were planted by the Palestinians between 7 and 10 years ago, on their lands.

Abdul-Dayem added that the soldiers also leveled large areas of farmlands, in addition to demolishing at least one retaining wall.

It is worth mentioning that the soldiers loaded many of the uprooted trees onto trucks, and took them to an unknown destination.

The lands are in Area C of the occupied West Bank, under full Israeli control, and witness frequent violations by the soldiers and the illegal colonizers.

(Source / 16.11.2021)

Killed By The Army On October 15; Israel To Release Corpse Of Slain Child

The Palestinian Detainees and Ex-Detainees Committee has reported, on Monday evening, that Israel intends to release the corpse of a Palestinian child from Bethlehem, who was killed by Israeli army fire on October 15, 2021.

The Committee stated that it filed an appeal with an Israeli court to release the corpse of the slain child, and received Monday, a verdict that authorized the release but without setting an actual timeframe.

It is worth mentioning that the child, identified as Amjad Osama Abu Sultan, 15, was killed by Israeli army fire in the Be’er Owna area, in Beit Jala city, west of Bethlehem, in the occupied West Bank.

The soldiers killed Amjad and injured another child, identified as Mohammad Khalil al-‘Arouj, 14, before taking him to an interrogation facility.

After killing Amjad and wounding Mohammad, the army issued a statement claiming that the soldiers fired live rounds at Palestinians when they allegedly tried to throw Molotov cocktails at the “Tunnels Road,” connecting Gush Etzion illegal colony with occupied Jerusalem.

(Source / 16.11.2021)

Updated: Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian In Tubas

The Palestinian Ministry of Health has reported, on Tuesday morning, that Israeli soldiers shot and killed a young Palestinian man during protests that took place after the army invaded Tubas city, in the northeastern part of the occupied West Bank.

The Ministry verified that an Israeli soldier shot Saddam Hussein Bani Odeh, 26, from Tammoun town, south of Tubas, with a live round that went through his left shoulder, then his heart and lung.

The Palestinian was killed during protests that took place at the main entrance of Tubas and surrounding areas, when several army jeeps invaded the city, before the soldiers fired live rounds, tear gas bombs and rubber-coated steel bullets.

The Israeli army claimed that armed resistance fighters exchanged fire with the soldiers during the invasion and added that the slain Palestinian was one of the fighters.

Eyewitnesses said Palestinian medics rushed the Palestinian, who is also a former political prisoner, to Tubas governmental hospital, where he was soon officially pronounced dead.

In addition, the soldiers stormed the home of a former prisoner, identified as Ayser Maslamani, and ransacked the property before abducting him.

The soldiers also invaded and searched the home of Hamza Daraghma, before abducting him.

Saddam Bani Odeh, 26 – shot dead by Israeli forces

(Source / 16.11.2021)

Updated: Israeli Soldiers Abduct Ten Palestinians In West Bank

Israeli soldiers abducted Tuesday, ten Palestinians from several parts of the occupied West Bank, the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) has reported.

The PP said several army vehicles invaded Beit Surik town, northwest of occupied Jerusalem, searched homes, causing damage, before abducting Majd Amjad Sheikh.

The PPS added that the army also invaded Ya’bad and Zababda towns, south of the northern West Bank city of Jenin, searched many homes, and abducted four former political prisoners from their homes.

The PPS identified the abducted young men as Khaled Amro, Abdullah Herzallah, and Mojahed Ezzeddin Amarna, from Ya’bad, in addition to Amir Sharqawi from Zababda.

In addition, the soldiers invaded Beit Dajan village, east of the northern West Bank city of Nablus, searched many homes and abducted Majdi Hasan Amer, Emad Suleiman Ammawi, Farhan Nassim Ismael and Hmeid Hanaisha.

In Tubas, in northeastern West Bank, the soldiers abducted Aysar Maslamani and Hamza Daraghma, after invading and ransacking their homes.

It is worth mentioning that the soldiers killed a young man, identified as Saddam Hussein Bani Odah, 26, from Tammoun town, south of Tubas.

(Source / 16.11.2021)

Israeli Colonizers Injure Three Palestinians Near Nablus

Israeli colonizers, illegally squatting on Palestinian lands, attacked many farmers and cars near Nablus, in the northern part of the occupied West Bank, wounding at least three Palestinians, in addition to causing damage to several cars.

Eyewitnesses said the colonizers attacked many Palestinian farmers while working on their lands near Burqa village, north of Nablus, wounding at least three.

Medical sources said the wounded Palestinians suffered serious lacerations, and bruises, especially to their heads, necks, and shoulders, before they received the needed treatment.

It is worth noting that, over the past several months, the colonizers escalated their violations against the Palestinians in the area, including attacking farmers, shepherds, homes, and cars, causing many injuries in addition to property damage.

(Source / 16.11.2021)

Israeli forces attack, beat Palestinian students in Nablus

Nablus (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces earlier on Tuesday attacked Palestinian students heading to their school in Nablus in the occupied West Bank, injuring a girl student after severly beating her.

In the village of Al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya in Nablus, the occupation forces were seen harassing and intimidating the Palestinian students while they were in their way to their school in the early morning hours.

Over 70 students suffocated with tear gas canisters fired directly and intensively towards them by the occupation forces.

An Israeli soldier severely beat one of the girl students with his gun, causing her bruises and injuries.

Israeli forces’ attacks against Palestinian students has increased lately and such attacks on schools and other education-related incidents, including attacks on educational personnel, threats of attacks, military use of schools, and other interferences with education, significantly impacted Palestinian children’s right to access education.

Between 7 and 20 September, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in the occupied Palestinian territory said that over 55 Palestinian pupils and teachers in six different schools were tear gassed and attacked by the Israeli forces.

In 2019, the United Nations documented 257 education-related incidents in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip that impacted children’s right to access education.

Palestinian children living under Israeli military occupation in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip are routinely denied many rights: right to life, right to education, right to adequate housing, and are denied access to healthcare, among other rights denials inherent in a decades-long Israeli military occupation with no end in sight.

(Source / 16.11.2021)

‘Israel’ rejects appeal to release 125-day-hunger-striking Palestinian detainee

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Israel’s High Court on Monday rejected for the fourth time an appeal to immediately release Palestinian detainee Kayed Fasfous, who has been on an open-ended hunger strike for 125 days.

The Detainees and Ex-Detainees Affairs Commission said yesterday the Israeli High Court rejected an appeal for the fourth time to release Kayed Fasfous, amid fears of sudden death, as he has been on hunger strike for 125 consecutive days in protest against his unfair administrative detention without a charge or trial and to gain freedom.

Kayed is the longest hunger-striker among four other hunger-striker inmates.

He has lost over 40 kilograms of his weight, and suffers from pain all over his body. He occasionally loses consciousness, and he suffers from tachycardia, pains in his chest, and low blood pressure.

The family of Fasfous said that doctors told him that he is close to sudden death and that they noticed signs indicating the formation of blood clots.

32-year-old Fasfous, who is a father of one and from Dura village near Hebron, south of the occupied West Bank, was arrested several times before, the last one was in October 2020.

He has been on an open-ended hunger strike since July 15, 2021.

On October 14, 2021, Israel’s High Court decided to freeze Fasfous’s administrative detention.

Such a decision does not release Fasfous from administrative detention – it simply freezes the order for the period of his treatment and observation, as his health condition has been deteriorating severely.

The court’s decision also means that the administration of prisons and the Intelligence service are not responsible for his life, and turning him into an unofficial prisoner held at the hospital, under the guardianship of the hospital’s security instead of the jailors.

On October 29, Israeli occupation police and intelligence services broke into the Barzilai Hospital where Kayed is held, prevented doctors from seeing him, and handed him an order to reactivate his administrative detention, sentencing him to a new six-month administrative detention.

On November 4, Israel’s High Court decided to freeze the administrative order for the detention of Fasfous again.

Fasfous’s family and relatives are able to visit him at the Barzilai Hospital as a patient, rather than as a detainee, but they are not allowed to transfer him to any place.

He was held before at the Al-Ramla Clinic, but was transferred to the Barzilai Hospital as his health has worsened.

His family said that lately that he is facing “clinical death” after losing feeling in his lower body and spiking a high fever.

According to his brother, Fasfous was recently transferred into a smaller, windowless and unhygienic hospital room.

Kayed’s daughter, Jiwan, has repeatedly urged international human rights groups and concerned people to intervene and save her father.

“My father is very tired,” said Jiwan in an appeal to the US Congress members and human rights groups.

She continued, “I begged the whole world to help my father, but nobody listened or helped my father.”

“But I will keep begging the world to help my father,” Jiwan stressed while the tears started welling up in her eyes.

“For God’s sake, help my father⁩.”

(Source / 16.11.2021)

Pictures & Video| Angry crowd takes part in funeral of Palestinian youth shot dead by Israeli forces

Tubas (QNN)- Hundreds of angry Palestinian mourners participated on Tuesday in the funeral of Palestinian Saddam Bani Odeh who was shot dead by Israeli occupation forces during a raid of the town of Tammun at the dawn today.

26-year-old Palestinian Saddam Bani Odeh was shot dead by Israeli occupation forces during a raid of the town of Tammun at the dawn of Tuesday.

The Ministry of Health said that Saddam was shot with a bullet fired by Israeli forces which penetrated his left shoulder and heart and settled in his left lung.

“I don’t care when and where I’ll die as much as I care for my nation,” Saddam posted on his Facebook account on July 6 with a photo of him being hospitalised for a gunfire injury caused by the Israeli occupation forces.

(Source / 16.11.2021)