Two Jerusalemites arrested, others assaulted in O. Jerusalem

Yusufiya cemetery

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC) – The Israeli forces arrested on Friday two Jerusalemites, after brutally attacking a group of Jerusalemites stationed at the entrance to the Yusufiya Cemetery, in Occupied Jerusalem.

The Israeli police forces heavily fired sound bombs at the residents stationed in the vicinity of the Yusufiya cemetery to protest Israeli attacks on the cemetery.

Meanwhile, Israeli municipality and Israel’s Nature Reserve Authority crews continued Friday morning to destroy graves of dead Palestinians and level land at Al-Yusufiyah cemetery, located just below the historic wall of Occupied Jerusalem, despite strong protests from families of those buried there.

The Israeli municipality crews destroyed several headstones and graves in the cemetery since the start of the week as they proceed to level it as part of Israel’s efforts to change the Arab and Islamic character of the occupied holy city.

Last week, the Israeli municipality demolished part of the cemetery, exposing human remains buried in a section where Arab soldiers killed during the 1967 war were buried.

The municipality seeks to turn the cemetery into a park and paths as part of its plan to build multiple Talmudic parks and trails for Jewish settlers and tourists around the walls of the Old City.

In December 2020, the municipality demolished a stairway and a fence at the cemetery.

In 2014, it prevented Jerusalemite citizens from burying their relatives in the cemetery’s northern area and removed 20 graves of Jordanian soldiers who were killed in the 1967 war.

(Source / 29.10.2021)

School boy among 9 Palestinians arrested by IOF

Arrest campaign

RAMALLAH, (PIC) – The Israeli occupation forces (IOF) arrested at dawn Friday four Palestinians, including a member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

The arrests were carried out during a large-scale raid campaign in Nablus and Ramallah in the occupied West Bank.

Local sources said that clashes erupted in Askar camp, east of Nablus, after being stormed by Israeli troops.

The IOF also arrested Bashir al-Khairy, a member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, after violently storming and searching his family house in Ramallah.

Two other youths were arrested in Qalqilya, while two more arrests were reported in Jenin.

Earlier Thursday, Israeli police forces arrested a Palestinian school boy in al-Aqsa Mosque.

The Palestinian student was in a school trip in al-Aqsa Mosque when he was rounded up by the Israeli officers.

The Israeli occupation army often carries out campaigns against Palestinians in the West Bank and Jerusalem, claiming to arrest wanted Palestinians.

(Source / 29.10.2021)

UK trade unions urge government to challenge Israel’s ‘draconian’ blacklist

Israeli forces in East Jerusalem, on 18 October 2021 [Mostafa Alkharouf/Anadolu Agency]
Israeli forces in East Jerusalem, on 18 October 2021

UK’s largest trade unions have joined the growing international backlash against Israel’s blacklisting of six Palestinian human rights and civil society groups as terrorist organisations with a damning joint letter to the government calling on Number 10 “to challenge this repressive move.”

“We strongly condemn the Israeli government’s outrageous decision to criminalise six Palestinian human rights and civil society groups by designating them as ’terrorists’,” said the letter signed by TUC, ASLEF, BFAWU, NEU, PCS, RMT, UCU, UNISON and Unite the Union.

The group of unions denounced Israel’s authoritarian crackdown. “This attack is a brazen attempt to further restrict Palestinian rights and to silence and punish Palestinian human rights defenders already working against incredible odds,” said the letter.

They noted that the six organisations targeted by the Israelis are amongst those most effectively documenting Israel’s systematic violations of Palestinian rights, including the building of illegal settlements on stolen Palestinian land, attacks on Palestinians’ right to food sovereignty, and the illegal arrest and detention of Palestinians, including children.

“These organisations have made their voices heard internationally, including in the International Criminal Court and in UN forums, and they are undoubtedly targeted for that reason,” the group continued.

READ: Germany ‘concerned’ over Israel’s terrorist designation of Palestinian NGOs

“Smearing, attacking, and banning the most vocal proponents for accountability and justice is a classic move for repressive regimes,” the unions explained while warning Israel’s authoritarian step not only posed a “threat” to the Palestinian people but also “to human rights defenders everywhere”.

Israel’s designation as an apartheid regime was also highlighted. “In the past year, human rights experts including Human Rights Watch and B’tselem have echoed what Palestinians have been saying for decades: that Israel’s control over Palestinians includes elements of the crime of Apartheid,” the letter added.

Calling on the UK government to publicly oppose what the unions described as a “draconian measure” they urged Number 10 to demand that Israel reverses it, and further, to begin to fulfil its own obligations to uphold international law and Palestinian rights, including the right to self-determination, and the right to oppose apartheid.

Their letter to the UK government coincides with a growing international backlash against Israel’s decision to blacklist the six Palestinians organisations. A group of US lawmakers entered a resolution condemning the decision as has the UN.

Israelis Against Apartheid, which has over a thousand signatories, also slammed the move. “Criminalising any form of dissent and resistance by indigenous Palestinians, by labelling them as terrorists while at the same time calling its own colonial practices, of oppression and dispossession, ‘self-defense’ is essential in order to sustain Israel’s settler-Apartheid system,” the group said.

(Source / 29.10.2021)

Israel’s ‘dubious’ interrogation method is at odds with most democracies, report finds

Israeli police a Palestinian man in East Jerusalem on 19 October 2021 [Mostafa alkharouf/Anadolu Agency]
Israeli police arrest a Palestinian man in East Jerusalem on 19 October 2021

Innocent people are being jailed because of the dubious interrogation methods used by Israeli police. The stark finding was one of many that were uncovered by a recent report compiled by Israeli academic researchers, details of which were reported by the Haaretz newspaper.

Israel is one of only two countries that are said to be using interrogation techniques that include lying to suspects to get a confession. Interrogators in Israel are allowed to lie to suspects about testimony, recordings, fingerprints and video clips.

In stark contrast, Belgium, Italy, Britain, Germany and the Netherlands forbid interrogators from lying to suspects in interrogation rooms. France and Switzerland don’t forbid it unequivocally, but interrogators don’t do it, the report says. Israel also does not recognise the suspects’ right to be interrogated in the presence of their lawyers.

READ: Minors make up 67% of detainees at one Israeli detention centre

Apparently, the main interrogation model in the US and in Israel, known as the Reid Technique, is more aggressive than in other democracies. Under this model, the interrogators try to extract a confession of guilt from the suspect at almost any cost. Moreover, the presumption of innocence is replaced with the presumption of guilt.

The Reid Technique is said to be unacceptable in most of the other countries in the study. In Belgium, Britain and Germany, for example the interrogation method, called Peace, is used. It is much softer and consists of the interrogator encouraging the suspect to tell his version. The interrogator must ask open-ended questions and avoid complicated questions as much as possible to avoid confusion.

Israel’s favoured technique has led to false convictions, the report found. Several examples of miscarriages of justice were cited where the Supreme Court acquitted the perpetrator. In 2018 a committee to examine wrongful convictions was set up to avoid similar miscarriages of justice.

(Source / 29.10.2021)

EU will not recognise new Israel settlements in Jerusalem

An aerial view of Pisgat Ze'ev, an illegal Israeli settlement in East Jerusalem and the largest residential neighbourhood in Jerusalem with a population of over 50,000 on October 04, 2018 [Mostafa Alkharouf /Anadolu Agency]
Israeli settlement units in Jerusalem on 4 October 2018 

The EU today reiterated its call for Israel to halt its plans to expand settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories, warning that any new changes to the pre-1967 borders that are not agreed upon by the parties will be rejected by the bloc.

“Settlements are illegal under international law and constitute a major obstacle to the achievement of the two-state solution and a just, lasting and comprehensive peace between the parties,”  a statement from the office of EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said.

Underlining that the EU strongly rejects the expansion of settlements, the statement said the union will not recognise any changes to the pre-1967 borders, including those pertaining to Jerusalem, that are not agreed upon by the parties.

The statement urged the Israeli government to revoke the recent approval of new illegal settlement units in the occupied West Bank, which are totally incompatible with ongoing efforts to reduce tensions, and instead focus on furthering meaningful re-engagement between the conflicting parties.

READ: Germany slams Israeli settlement expansion

“The EU will continue to play its part supporting steps towards sustainable peace between Israelis and Palestinians,” it added.

On Sunday, Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh called the plans “a blatant aggression on our lands.”

However, despite Shtayyeh’s condemnation, Israel’s Higher Planning Council moved forward the construction of 3,144 settlement units in the West Bank on Wednesday.

There were 13 illegal Jewish settlements in occupied East Jerusalem and 253 others in the West Bank. More than 660,000 Jewish settlers live in these settlements. Under international law, the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, is regarded as “occupied territory,” making all Jewish settlements there illegal.

(Source / 29.10.2021)

Israeli Forces Stop Construction of Palestinian Home near Bethlehem

On Thursday, Israeli forces stopped the construction of a home in Nahalin town, west of Bethlehem, and seized equipment including a concrete pump and mixer.

The troops were accompanied by members of the ‘Israeli Civil Administration’, which serves as the unelected government that inflicts martial law upon the Palestinian living under Israel’s military occupation in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Golan Heights.

The ‘Israeli Civil Administration’ members issued a notice to the Palestinian landowner, ordering him to stop construction of the home – despite the fact that it was being constructed on the Palestinian owner’s land, and in accordance with all construction regulations.

Israeli authorities in this case, as in thousands of other cases, claimed that the home was being “constructed without a permit”. But Israeli authorities have not issued permits for any Palestinian home construction since they began their military occupation of the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Golan Heights in 1967.

The Deputy head of the Nahalin Municipal Office, Hani Fonoun, told reporters from the Palestinian news agency Wafa that the notice was issued to stop construction on the 120 square-meter house, located east of the town.

He added that the soldiers also seized a concrete pump and a mixer from the construction site.

The area in question is an area that Israeli authorities hope to annex as part of the ‘Jerusalem E1’ Plan, which involves the takeover of hundreds of acres of Palestinian land in order to create a ‘circle of settlements’ around Jerusalem, to attempt to take over the city of Jerusalem in violation of international law and signed agreements.

(Source / 29.10.2021)

Israeli Troops Abduct Three Palestinians, Including a Teenager, in Pre-Dawn Raids

Israeli troops in night raid (archive image)

Israeli forces invaded several parts of the West Bank on Thursday before dawn. They detained at least three Palestinians, including a teen, from various places, according to local sources.

The Palestinian News Agency Ma’an reported that Israeli forces pulled a 17-year-old teen out of his bed in the middle of the night and took him away for unknown charges. That incident took place in Qalqilia.

In Ras al-Far’a town, southwest of Tubas, a former Palestinian political prisoner was also abducted while asleep in bed, according to the Director of the local office of Palestine Prisoner’s Society (PPS), Kamal Bani-Odeh.

Meanwhile, Israeli soldiers manning Jaba‘ checkpoint, north of Jerusalem, re-arrested a former prisoner as he attempted to cross the checkpoint of Jaba, northeast of Jerusalem.

According to local sources, the detained young man is Mahmoud al-Lawzi from Qalandia refugee camp in east Jerusalem.

In a separate incident, the Israeli police on the same day summoned five Jerusalemite young men from Silwan district for interrogation. They were identified as Firas al-Atrash, Ahmed at-Taweel, Adnan al-Karki, Ibrahim Samreen and Ziyad Sharaf.

(Source / 29.10.2021)

Israeli Forces Shoot, Injure Palestinian Worker in Jenin

Al-Yamun village (image from Global Communities (Formerly CHF) on Flickr

On Thursday night, Israeli forces invaded the al-Yamun village west of Jenin, in the northern part of the West Bank. The troops shot a young man in the shoulder near the Israeli Annexation Wall.

The Palestinian worker has been identified as Muhanad Hushiya. He suffered a bullet injury in his shoulder as he was returning home from work on the Israeli side of the Annexation Wall.

Muhanad was rushed to the main hospital in Jenin, where he was treated for the bullet wound in his shoulder. No information was available about his condition.

The shooting attack comes less than a month after Israeli forces shot and killed Ala’ Nasser Zayyoud, 21, in Burqin town, west of the northern West Bank city of Jenin

The incident took place when a large Israeli military force, including undercover soldiers, invaded Burqin, leading to protests, and an exchange of fire between the army and armed resistance fighters.

Eyewitnesses said a large military force also invaded an area, between the towns of al-Yamoun and Burqin towns, before surrounding a home.

They added that Ala’ ran towards the area of the invasion carrying his weapon, but did not know the soldiers were deployed around the corner and came face to face with them when they shot him with several live rounds, and even fired several rounds at him after he dropped onto the ground.

(Source / 29.10.2021)

Israeli Soldiers Injure Many Palestinians Near Hebron

Israeli soldiers injured, on Thursday evening, many Palestinians in Beit Ummar town, north of the southern West Bank city of Hebron.

Local media activist Mohammad Awad said several Israeli army jeeps invaded the ath-Thaher area in Beit Ummar, leading to protests.

Awad added that the soldiers fired many gas bombs and concussion grenades, causing dozens of residents to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation.

The invaded area is not far from the illegal Karmie Tzur colony which was built on stolen Palestinian lands.

It is worth mentioning that the soldiers frequently invade Beit Ummar and the surrounding communities, and repeatedly attack farmers and shepherds who are also subject to constant violations by the illegal Israeli colonizers.

(Source / 29.10.2021)

Israeli Colonizers Install An Outpost On Palestinian Lands Near Hebron

Israeli colonizers installed, on Thursday evening, an outpost on Palestinian lands near Yatta town, south of Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank.

Rateb Jabour, the coordinator of the National and Popular Committees against the Annexation Wall and Colonies, said the colonizers installed at least three mobile homes on the Palestinian lands and added that Israeli soldiers also accompanied them.

He stated that the new outpost was installed not far from the illegal Susya colony which was installed on stolen Palestinian lands.

Jabour also said that the colonizers and the soldiers are ongoing with the illegal takeover of Palestinian lands, in addition to the repeated attacks on the farmlands, including uprooting and burning them, in addition to the violations against the shepherds.

These violations aim at forcing the Palestinians out of their lands so that Israel can build and expand its illegal colonies, in direct violation of International Law, the Fourth Geneva Convention, and various United Nations and Security Council resolutions.

Also on Thursday evening, Israeli soldiers injured many Palestinians in the ath-Thaher area in Beit Ummarin Beit Ummar town.

(Source / 29.10.2021)