Soldiers Desecrate Graves in Jerusalem, Injure Three Palestinian Protesters

Israeli soldiers injured, Sunday, three Palestinians during a protest against the desecration of the historic Al-Yusufiya historic Islamic cemetery, and the bulldozing graves, to establish a public garden.

The Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) said the soldiers injured three Palestinians, including one of its medics, after shooting them with concussion grenades.

The incident took place when dozens of Palestinians gathered in and around the graveyard to protest its ongoing desecration, especially after the Israeli bulldozers removed and scattered the bones in one of the graves.

Hajj Mustafa Abu Zahra, the head of the Islamic Cemeteries Committee in Jerusalem, said the soldiers bulldozed sections of the al-Yousifiyya graveyard near the Al-Aqsa Mosque and added that the bulldozers dug into a grave and exposed the skeletal remains of one of the graves.

Abu Zahra added that the Palestinians then managed to remove the Israeli bulldozers, and reburied the bones in the grave.

Dozens of Palestinians gathered in the area and started chanting against the desecration of graves and holy sites, and condemned the ongoing Israeli attempts to change the historic and demographic nature of occupied Jerusalem.

                                                      

Last month, the army destroyed parts of the same cemetery, including the destruction of its wall and staircase, in addition to a similar violation in December 2020.

It is worth mentioning that the cemetery also contains the graves of Jordanian and Iraqi soldiers, who were killed by the Israeli army in the year 1967.

During Sunday’s attack by the Israeli soldiers, the bulldozers also destroyed a wall leading to Bab al-Asbat Gate.

In the year 2004, the Israeli authorities prevented the Palestinians from burying their dead in the northern part of the cemetery, as part of the constant work to establish what Israel calls a “National Garden,” and removed the remains of twenty Jordanian soldiers who were killed in 1967.

(Source / 11.10.2021)

Israeli Army Abducts Six Palestinians In Jenin, Bethlehem, and Jerusalem

Israeli soldiers abducted, Sunday, six Palestinians in Jenin Bethlehem and Jerusalem, and summoned for interrogation two Palestinians, including the Khatib of the Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied Jerusalem.

The Palestinian Prisoners Society (PPS) has reported that the soldiers invaded Beit Fajjar town, south of Bethlehem, searched homes, and abducted two teenage boys, identified as Mohammad Rami Taqatqa 16, and Rida Hashem Deeriyya, 16.

It added that the soldiers also invaded Beit Jala city, northwest of Bethlehem, and abducted Hisham Khatib from the al-Jadawel area.

In Jenin, in northern West Bank, undercover Israeli soldiers infiltrated the center of the city and kidnapped Baha’ Ibrahim Abu al-Haija in Abu Bakr Street,  and moved him to a nearby military base.

Also in Jenin, the soldiers installed several roadblocks leading to the city and surrounding towns, before stopping and searching dozens of cars and interrogated the residents while inspecting their ID cards.

Most of the roadblocks were installed near the towns of Kafrit, Ya’bad, Arraba, Qabatia, and Kafr Qud.

In occupied Jerusalem, the soldiers detained Sheikh Ekrima Sabri, the Khatib of the Al-Aqsa Mosque and the head of the Higher Islamic Committee in Jerusalem, after storming his home at six in the morning.

The Sheik was moved to the al-Maskobiyya interrogation and detention facility, where he was interrogated for several hours.

The soldiers also invaded the home of Jamal Amro, an expert in Al-Aqsa Mosque affairs and history, and summoned him for interrogation.

The soldiers also abducted two young men, identified as Qais Sharha and Naim al-Ammouri, in the al-Misrara area in Jerusalem, in addition to assaulting dozens of residents in Bab al-Amoud.

The attack led to a few injuries, and the soldiers prevented medics from the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) from providing treatment to the injured Palestinians.

The soldiers also invaded several neighborhoods in Silwan, and the at-Tour, before firing gas bombs and concussion grenades.

In related news, the soldiers injured three Palestinians during a protest against the desecration of the historic Al-Yusufiya historic Islamic cemetery, and the bulldozing graves, to establish a public garden.

(Source / 11.10.2021)

WAFA: “Six Palestinian Detainees Continue Hunger Strike Against Administrative Detention”

RAMALLAH, Sunday, October 10, 2021 (WAFA) – A total of six Palestinian prisoners in Israeli detention currently remain on hunger strike in protest of their unfair administrative detention without a charge or trial, according to the Detainees Affairs Commission.

The longest hunger-striker of the six prisoners is prisoner Kayed Fasfous, who has been on hunger strike for 88 days in protest of his detention without a charge or trial, followed by Muqdad Qawasmeh (81 days), Alaa Aaraj (64 days), Hesham Abu Hawwash (55 days), Rayeq Besharat (50 days), and Shadi Abu Akr (47).

Hasan Abed Rabbo, an attorney of the Commission, said the health condition of Qawasmeh has significantly deteriorated, and that he has lost 20 kg of weight as a result of the hunger strike.

He said Kayed al-Fasfous is also hospitalized in the Israeli Kaplan Medical Center due to deteriorating health conditions.

Israel’s widely condemned policy of administrative detention allows the detention of Palestinians without charge or trial for renewable intervals usually ranging between three and six months based on undisclosed evidence that even a detainee’s lawyer is barred from viewing.

Currently, Israel is holding over 500 Palestinians in administrative detention, deemed illegal by international law, most of them former prisoners who spent years in prison for their resistance of the Israeli occupation.

Over the years, Israel has placed thousands of Palestinians in administrative detention for prolonged periods of time, without trying them, without informing them of the charges against them, and without allowing them or their counsel to examine the evidence.

Palestinian detainees have continuously resorted to open-ended hunger strikes as a way to protest their illegal administrative detention and to demand an end to this policy which violates international law.

(Source / 11.10.2021)

Army To Demolish Building Designated To Be A Clinic In Northern Plains

The Israeli army invaded, Sunday, the Wadi al-Maleh area in the Northern Plains of the Jordan Valley in the occupied West Bank, and delivered a demolition order targeting an under-construction building designated to be a clinic.

Human rights activist Aref Daraghma said several army jeeps invaded the area and handed the demolition order to the Palestinians.

Daraghma stated that the Palestinians are trying to build a small clinic to serve the community Wadi al-Maleh, however, the Israeli army is refusing to permit its construction despite the difficulties the Palestinians face in the area.

He added that the demolition order came just a month after the army issued demolition orders targeting educational facilities in the same area.

The area is subject to constant Israeli violations, including the destruction of property, in addition to the ongoing construction and expansion of illegal segregated colonies in various parts of the Jordan Valley, and the military drills the army carried out in the Bedouin communities, displacing entire families, in addition to leading to dozens of casualties, including fatalities.

(Source / 11.10.2021)

Israeli Soldiers Abduct Six Palestinians From Nablus

Israeli soldiers abducted, on Monday at dawn, six Palestinians, including a former political prisoner, from Beita and Kafr Qalil towns, south of the northern West Bank city of Nablus.

The deputy mayor of Beita town, Mousa Hamayel, said several Israeli military jeeps invaded the town, before the soldiers stormed and ransacked many homes, and interrogated several Palestinians.

Hamayel added that the soldiers abducted five Palestinians from their homes, identified as Arafat Mohammad Shorafa, Ahmad Abdul-Hadi Shorafa, Abdul-Salam Rayyan, Suleiman Anis Khdeir, and Rami Jamal Abu Ayyash.

In addition, the soldiers abducted a former political prisoner, identified as Assem Amer, from Kafr Qalil town, after stopping him at a military roadblock near Jericho, in northeastern West Bank.

(Source / 11.10.2021)

Army Abducts Eight Palestinians In Bethlehem And Hebron

Israeli soldiers abducted, on Monday at dawn, six Palestinians, including two former political prisoners and one child, from Bethlehem, and two from Hebron, in the occupied West Bank.

Media sources in Bethlehem, south of occupied Jerusalem in the West Bank, said the soldiers invaded and ransacked many homes in the al-Khader town and Um Salmouna village, south of the city, before abducting six Palestinians, including two former political prisoners and one child.

They stated that the soldiers abducted Mohammad Khader Sbeih, 21, Mohammad Hamad Sbeih, 16, Saleh Rezeq Mousa, 22, Ahmad Khaled Mousa, 19, and a former political prisoner, identified as Jihad Omar Salah, 22, from their homes in the al-Khader town.

The soldiers also abducted a former political prisoner, identified as Anas Mohammad Taqatqa, 30, from his home in Um Salmouna village.

The soldiers also invaded Yatta town, south of the southern West Bank city of Hebron, searched several homes before abducting Issa Mohammad al-Amour and Sofian Ahmad al-Amour.

In addition, the soldiers invaded Deir Samit village, southwest of Hebron, before breaking into a few homes and searching them.

The soldiers also installed roadblocks on roads leading to Hebron city, in addition to the nearby towns of Beit Ummar, Sa’ir, and Halhoul, before stopping and searching dozens of cars and interrogated many Palestinians while inspecting their ID cards.

In related news, the soldiers abducted six Palestinians, including a former political prisoner, from Beita and Kafr Qalil towns, south of the northern West Bank city of Nablus.

(Source / 11.10.2021)

Israel Forces A Palestinian To Demolish His Home In Kafr Qassem

The Israeli authorities forced, Monday, a Palestinian citizen from Kafr Qassem, east of Tel Aviv, to demolish his under-construction homes after refusing to grant him a permit.

The Arabs48 news website said the Palestinian was forced to demolish his under-construction property to avoid the excessively high fines and fees if the Israeli authorities use their equipment and workers in the destruction of his property.

It added that the Palestinian paid high costs to construct his home and tried to obtain the needed permits but to no avail.

It is worth mentioning that many Palestinian cities and towns in historic Palestine have been facing increasing violations, especially the refusal to grant them construction permits to build homes, industrial workshops, and stores even though they are citizens of Israel and are supposed to be granted equal rights.

The violations are taking place in various areas, especially in Ein Mahil, Haffa, Shefa-Amr, Qalansawe, Kafr Yasif, Ar’ara, Um al-Fahem, Jaffa, Lod, Hurfeish, and Sakhnin, in addition to many communities in the Negev.

The Bedouin communities in the Negev, especially those designated as “unrecognized villages” although they predate Israel, are subject to frequent demolitions of homes, tents, and structures, including barns, land confiscation, the uprooting and bulldozing of farmlands, along with various other violations.

(Source / 11.10.2021)

Army Prevents Palestinians From Picking Olive Trees, Abduct Three, Near Salfit

The Israeli army prevented, Monday, dozens of farmers and volunteers from reaching Palestinian orchards to pick the olive trees in the ar-Ras area west of Salfit in the central West Bank, and declared the area a “closed military zone,” before abducting three young men, in addition to causing dozens to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation.

The Palestinians, including activists of the Wall and Colonization & Wall Resistance Commission and members of various national factions and social groups, in addition to community institutions, tried to enter the ar-Ras area to pick the trees in the olive orchards, but the soldiers refused to allow them through after declaring the entire area a “closed military zone.”

The soldiers also fired many gas bombs at the Palestinians, causing dozens to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation, and abducted three young men.

The orchards are in an area where Israel is planning to illegally annex large swaths of Palestinian lands to continue the construction and expansion of the illegal colonies in direct violation of International Law.

Walid Assaf, the head of the Colonisation & Wall Resistance Commission, said the soldiers were heavily deployed in the ar-Ras area, and prevented the Palestinians from reaching the olive orchards.

“More volunteers are joining us, and we will remain steadfast on our lands,” Assaf stated, “We will continue to support the farmers, and will not leave them to face the Israeli aggression on their own.”

(Source / 11.10.2021)

672 European financial firms had relations with businesses involved in Israeli settlements

A Palestinian stands on his property overlooking the Israeli settlement Har Homa, West Bank, February 18, 2011. U.S. President Barack Obama called Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Thursday in an attempt to prevent the upcoming vote on an United Nations resolution condemning Israeli settlements. The Palestinian Authority and other Arab nations have pushed for the UN Security Council to vote on the resolution which is scheduled to take place today

672 European financial institutions, including banks, asset managers, insurance companies, and pension funds, had financial relationships with 50 businesses that are actively involved with illegal Israeli settlements, a report has found.

The new research published by “Don’t Buy into Occupation”, a cross-regional coalition of 25 Palestinian and European organisations, shows that, between 2018 and May 2021, 672 European financial institutions, including banks, asset managers, insurance companies, and pension funds, had financial relationships with 50 businesses that are actively involved with Israeli settlements.

During the analysed period, US$ 114 billion was provided in the form of loans and underwritings. As of May 2021, European investors also held US$ 141 billion in shares and bonds of these companies, the research revealed.

The 50 companies for which the research found financial relationships with European financial institutions, are involved in one or more of activities that raise particular human rights concerns, which constitute the basis for inclusion in the UN database of business enterprises that are involved in Israeli settlements, which was published in February 2020, including Airbnb, TripAdvisor and General Mills.

France’s BNP Paribas, Germany’s Deutsche Bank and the UK’s HSBC were among the institutions said to have provided $114bn in the form of loans and underwritings, and held investments to the amount of $141bn in shares and bonds of such businesses.

Along with BNP Parabas ($17.30bn), Deutsche Bank ($12.03bn) and HSBC ($8.72bn) in the top ten creditors to the 50 businesses were, the UK’s Barclays ($8.69bn), France’s Societe Generale ($8.20bn) and Credit Agricole ($5.55bn), Spain’s Santander ($4.75bn), the Netherland’s ING Group ($4.60bn), Germany’s Commerzbank ($4.37bn) and Italy’s Unicredit ($3.58bn).

Israeli settlements are illegal under international law and constitute acts which incur individual criminal liability as war crimes and crimes against humanity under the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The “Don’t Buy into Occupation” (DBIO) coalition is a joint project between 25 Palestinian, regional and European organisations based in Belgium, France, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain and the United Kingdom (UK), including FIDH and its member leagues Al-Haq and the Cairo Institute for Human Rights.

The coalition investigates the financial relationships between businesses involved in the illegal Israeli settlement enterprise in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT) and European Financial Institutions (FIs).

(Source / 11.10.2021)

Israeli soldiers join settlers in harvesting grapes in illegal settlement

Occupied West Bank (QNN)- Israeli forces soldiers joined extremist settlers from settlement of Yitzhar, an illegal settlement built on Palestinian land, in harvesting grapes, Kan news reported.

Kan news reported that Israeli soldiers, stationed in the area, from the paratrooper commandos joined extremist settlers in harvesting grapes at a vineyard belonging to the illegal settlement of Yitzhar.

The newspaper claimed that the soldiers volunteered to help harvest as part of an “education and heritage” session.

A military source, however, told the newspaper that no one was forced to participate and it was “voluntary.”

The source added that the “mistake was in the bureaucracy, the approvals were not obtained from the required levels. It’s a learning problem.”

The IOF officially acknowledged this was against the orders, and said that procedures were “refreshed”, because the forces should not be blending with the settlers.

Following the reports, MK Bezalel Smotrich, leader of Religious Zionism party, stated that this vineyard was planted by a soldier injured by “terrorists during his reserve service,” and that “security and settlement always went together since Zionism’s early days”.

He also claimed that IOF soldiers support the settlements and are deeply connected to the settlers, adding “they are not from the UN – they serve in Judea and Samaria in order to protect settlements and the Jewish state of Israel.”

Dror Etkes, a left-wing anti-settlement activist, however, replyed to the reports and said this vineyard is on private Palestinian land and that it was cultivated by the owners till the second intifada, when the Israeli occupation prevented them from accessing it, adding between 2007-2008, a settler invaded the plot and planted the grapevines.

Etkes also confirmed that the settler who invaded the plot received a loan from the WZO’s settlement division the same year for planting a vineyard.

The Settlement Division is a private body that acts under the World Zionist Organization, but is wholly financed by Israeli public funds. It acts as a government agent in assigning land to Israeli settlers in the occupied West Bank.

Yitzhar settlement is widely known as a hotbed of Israeli settler violence against Palestinians. The illegal settlement was founded in 1983 as a military outpost that soon turned into a settlers settlement. Nearby Palestinian villages previously used the land for agricultural purposes, and Palestinian villagers are frequently targeted with violence by Yitzhar settlers.

There are nearly 700,000 Israeli settlers living in 256 illegal settlements and outposts scattered across the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem. Israeli settlements are illegal under international law.

(Source / 11.10.2021)