Israel MK seeks to outlaw reopening of US’ Palestine mission in Jerusalem

A general view shows the swearing-in ceremony of Israel's Knesset (parliament) in Jerusalem, on April 6, 2021 [ALEX KOLOMOISKY/POOL/AFP via Getty Images]
A general view shows the swearing-in ceremony of Israel’s Knesset (parliament) in Jerusalem, on April 6, 2021

An Israeli right-wing opposition member of the Knesset is seeking to outlaw the planned reopening of a US mission in Jerusalem that has traditionally been a base for diplomatic outreach to the Palestinians, Reuters reports.

Israel’s new cross-partisan government led by nationalist Prime Minister Naftali Bennett also opposes the reinauguration of the consulate, potentially buoying Likud lawmaker Nir Barkat’s effort to scupper the move, though it would strain relations with Washington.

The consulate was subsumed into the US Embassy that was moved to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv in 2018 by then-US President Donald Trump, steps hailed by Israel and condemned by Palestinians.

With an eye towards repairing US relations with the Palestinians, and rebuilding mutual trust, President Joe Biden’s administration says it will reopen the consulate while leaving the embassy in place.

Barkat’s legislation, filed in parliament last month and with voting as yet unscheduled, would outlaw opening a foreign mission in Jerusalem without Israel’s consent.

READ: Knesset’s winter session began with an acrimonious exchange between Netanyahu and Bennett

“I think that the current Israeli government is weak. It depends on the left, it depends on radicals on our side,” he told Reuters. “We must do everything we can to maintain the unity of the city of Jerusalem.”

Israel regards all of Jerusalem as its capital. East Jerusalem, captured by Israel in the 1967 war along with the West Bank and Gaza Strip, has been earmarked as the capital of the future State of Palestine.

Ahmed Al-Deek, adviser to the Palestinian Foreign Ministry, said Barkat “represents the position of far-right parties in Israel which seek to block any chance of reaching a two-state solution.”

Barkat said polling showed some 70 per cent public support for the bill – enough to garner votes from within the coalition. Asked for Bennett’s position, his spokesman cast the bill as a PR stunt, saying: “We don’t comment on trolling.”

(Source / 07.10.2021)

Jewish settler organisation takes over Palestinian apartment in Jerusalem

A general view of East Jerusalem as Palestinians gather to protest Israel's destruction in the area after a Friday prayer in Silwan neighbourhood in East Jerusalem on August 28, 2020 [Mostafa Alkharouf/Anadolu Agency]
A general view of East Jerusalem as Palestinians gather to protest Israel’s destruction in the area after a Friday prayer in Silwan neighbourhood in East Jerusalem on August 28, 2020

A Jewish settler organisation took over a Palestinian apartment in Silwan neighbourhood in occupied Jerusalem on Wednesday, Wadi Al-Hilwa Information Centre has reported. Members of the Eilad organisation were supported by Israeli occupation police officers when they broke into the apartment owned by Bilal Farroukh.

According to Farroukh, his brother Nidal lives in the apartment with his family. They were away in Akka (Acre) at the time. The illegal settlers changed the locks of the property and placed CCTV cameras around it.

When Farroukh and a number of his relatives arrived at the apartment, the police attacked them and prevented them from going inside.

“They attacked us and prevented us from entering the apartment, and they used pepper spray against us before arresting my relative Mahmoud,” explained Farroukh, who said that he has all of the necessary documents proving his ownership. “The settlers claim that they took over the house due to accumulated debts of millions of shekels, but this is not true because the apartment is mine and my brother lives in it.”

READ: Israel settlers burn Palestinian land in West Bank 

(Source / 07.10.2021)

Israeli Army Abducts Three Palestinians In Jenin And Jerusalem

Israeli soldiers abducted, on Wednesday evening, three Palestinians in Jenin and Jerusalem, in the occupied West Bank.

Media sources in Jenin said undercover Israeli soldiers ambushed a young man, identified as Islam Jamal al-Qonbo’, in front of the ar-Razi hospital in the city, and kidnapped him before taking him to an unknown destination.

They added that the undercover soldiers were using a car with Palestinian license plates when they ambushed and kidnapped the young man, and took him to a nearby military base.

Also in Jenin, the soldiers invaded Arraba town, southwest of the city, and summoned Shaddad and his brother Raddad al-‘Arda for interrogation at the Salem military base.

The two are the brothers of Mahmoud al-‘Arda one of the six detainees who managed to escape the high-security heavily fortified Gilboa Israeli prison, last month, before they were captured a week later.

Furthermore, Israeli soldiers invaded the al-‘Isawiya town, in occupied Jerusalem, and abducted two young men, identified as Luay Ashraf Mahmoud and Ahmad Haitham Mahmoud.

On Wednesday at dawn, Israeli soldiers abducted, nineteen Palestinians, including a child, and three siblings, from their homes in several parts of the occupied West Bank; ten of the abducted are from occupied Jerusalem.

(Source / 07.10.2021)

Soldiers Injure And Abduct A Palestinian Near Nablus

Israeli soldiers injured and abducted, Thursday, a Palestinian after the army attacked many residents defending their lands while the military bulldozers were uprooting them, near Nablus, in northern West Bank.

Ghassan Daghlas, a Palestinian official who monitors Israel’s illegal colonialist activities in the northern West Bank, said the soldiers, accompanied by bulldozers, invaded the lands in the Wad Yasouf area between the towns of as-Sawiya and al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya and started uprooting them.

Daghlas added that the soldiers assaulted a Palestinian, identified as Nael Oweisa, wounding him in the head, before abducting him.

It is worth mentioning that the soldiers and colonialist settlers started uprooting Palestinian lands to pave segregated roads leading to colonies in the area.

(Source / 07.10.2021)

WAFA: “Israel Demolishes House In Jerusalem Neighborhood”

JERUSALEM, Wednesday, October 06, 2021 (WAFA) – The Israeli occupation authorities today demolished a Palestinian house in the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan, according to local sources.

Member of the Silwan Land Defense Committee, Fakhri Abu Diyab, said that Israeli police stormed Ein Lawza and cordoned it off, preventing local merchants from opening their stores.

Police then escorted a bulldozer to the area, where the heavy machinery tore down a one-storey house belonging to Mohammad Matar, purportedly for being built without a license.

Matar had self-demolished parts of his house in last August under the same pretext.

Police also barged their way into al-Bustan neighborhood in Silwan, where they handed three Palestinians orders to demolish their houses, which were built before Israel occupied the West Bank in June 1967.

Abu Diyab cautioned against the occupation authorities’ attempts to tear down several neighborhoods in Silwan, located south of Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, as a means to impose full control on Jerusalem.

While the Israeli occupation municipality refuses to allow Palestinians to build or restore their buildings in Silwan, settlers often are able to re-construct the buildings they take over and expand them with consent from the Israeli municipality of West Jerusalem.

Currently hundreds of Palestinian-owned houses in different areas of Silwan, but mainly in Batn al-Hawa, Wadi Hilweh, and al-Bustan areas, are under threat of demolition by the Israeli municipality for construction without permit.

However, Palestinians believe the demolition orders are part of a large-scale Israeli ethnic cleansing scheme intended to empty Silwan of its Palestinian residents to eventually inhabit it with Israeli settlers and turn it into what it calls the City of David.

(Source / 07.10.2021)

Israeli Soldiers Abduct Nine Palestinians In West Bank

Israeli soldiers abducted, on Thursday at dawn, nine Palestinians, including a father and his son, from several parts of the occupied West Bank, including the occupied capital, Jerusalem.

Media sources in Bethlehem said the soldiers invaded and searched many homes in al-‘Azza and ‘Aida refugee camps, before abducting three Palestinians, identified as Mahmoud Abu Tarboush and his son Mohammad, in addition to Adham Abu Srour.

In occupied Jerusalem, the soldiers and police officers invaded the courtyards of the Al-Aqsa Mosque and abducted Mohammad Abu al-Hummus, a member of the Follow-Up Committee in the al-‘Isawiya town.

Furthermore, the soldiers invaded Tal village, southwest of the northern West Bank city of Nablus, stormed and ransacked a few homes, before abducting Yousef Ibrahim Affana.

The soldiers also invaded the al-Makjhfiyya area in Nablus city, before storming and searching one home.

In Jenin, in northern West Bank, the soldiers invaded the home of a former political prisoner and a teacher, identified as Hasan Mohammad Zaghal, and searched the property before abducting him.

The soldiers also invaded Kafr Dan village, west of Jenin, and searched the homes of Emad and Ahed Kamaji, and interrogated them while threatening to abduct them.

The two are the brothers of Ayham Kamaji, one of the six Palestinian detainees who managed to escape the high-security heavily fortified Gilboa prison before they were captured a week later.

Furthermore, the soldiers invaded the al-Far’a, south of Tubas in northeastern West Bank, searched homes, and abducted three Palestinians, identified as Abdul-Nasser Mustafa Abdul-Razed, the secretary of Fateh movement in Tubas, along with his son Husam, 21, in addition to Ghassan Bashir Abu Kheizaran, 38.

Many Palestinians protested the invasion and hurled stones at the army jeeps, while the soldiers fired gas bombs and concussion grenades.

(Source / 07.10.2021)

There will be no Palestinian state, says Israeli interior minister to Emirati paper

Dubai (QNN)- Israeli minister of interior told an Emirati newspaper that there will be no Palestinian state in the foreseeable future, during her visit to the UAE.

Ayelet Shaked told The National that the Israeli government had agreed not to tackle any issues that could cause rifts, including a Palestinian state.

“The Israeli government won’t deliberate on the establishment of a Palestinian state under the present government of Bennett or Lapid when he comes into office under the rotational agreement,” she told UAE-based outlet The National.

“There is a consensus among the parties not to get involved in the issue, which could cause an internal rift.”

“We believe in economic peace as a means of improving Palestinians lives and to create cooperative industrial zones. But not a state with an army, absolutely not”, Shaked added.

Shaked also rejected the labeling of Israeli settlements as “illegal”, although they are illegal under international law. In the interview, she called the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement against the occupation state “hypocrites.”

“BDS is a new form of antisemitism,” Shaked said.

The visit is the first for Shaked following the normalization deal between the occupation state and the UAE. During the visit, Shaked met her counterpart Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al-Nahyan on the sidelines of the Dubai Expo 2020.

Shaked belongs to the Israeli far-right and she is known for her various racist anti-Palestinian remarks. She had previously described Palestinian children as ‘little snakes’ that need to be killed along with their mothers.

(Source / 07.10.2021)

New detainees’ testimonies on Israeli torture revealed

Ramallah (QNN)- The Commission for Detainees and Former Detainees has revealed new testimonies of three detainees, who said that they were tortured when they got arrested.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, the commission said that Israeli authorities practice different forms of torture against Palestinians as soon as they arrest them.

According to the testimonies, Israeli soldiers surround the houses of those targeted, then they break doors and break into the houses in a brutal way. They also commit vandalism before arresting Palestinians.

Usually, Israeli soldiers beat, slap, and kick detainees during the arrests and use plastic handcuffs. They also beat them with rifles. The assaults continue until reaching interrogation centers.

The commission said that the detainee Ahmad Abu Orrah from the village of Aqaba in Tubas, got fractures in his ribs due to the Israeli savage assaults. Israeli soldiers attacked him in his house and started to beat him and during his interrogation, it has been noticed that he had difficulty in speaking and breathing. After taking him to a hospital, it turned out that he had fractures in his ribs. The Israelis only gave him painkillers without providing any medication.

Muhammad Musa, from the village of Ni’lin in Ramallah, was beaten, dragged, and stepped on during his arrest, as it was midnight and he was asleep. The soldiers did not allow him to put n his shoes. He was taken to a military camp in Aboud, where he was kept blindfolded and handcuffed. Israeli soldiers assaulted him and refused to give him water or to let him use a toilet.

In the same context, Muhannad Abu Malash, from Yatta near occupied Hebron, was brutally beaten along with his family members. His family was also insulted and their house was vandalized.

(Source / 07.10.2021)

Israeli authorities summon brothers of one of Gilbou’s six breakers for interrogation

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Israeli occupation authorities summoned on Wednesday brothers of re-arrested Palestinian prisoner Mohammad Arda, one of Gilbou’s six breakers who managed to free themselves last month from a high-security Israeli prison, for interrogation.

The brothers of Arda, Shadad and Radad, said the occupation authorities summoned them yesterday for interrogation.

The occupation authorities handed Arda’s brothers summons to appear at Salem detention center on Thursday evening.

This detention center can hold up to 40 prisoners and is located at the northern tip of the West Bank near Salem village (north west of Jenin). The site also includes a military court.

About 16 Palestinians who are relatives of the Gilbou’s six breakers, were arrested and summoned last month, as the Israeli forces raided and searched their houses, before interrogating them, as a part of collective punishment.

39-year-old Mohammad Arda, from Arraba town in Jenin, imprisoned since 2002 and sentenced to life, has started on Monday an open hunger strike in protest against Israel’s punitive and repressive measures taken against him and his inmates after being re-arrested.

According to Karim Ajwa, a lawyer in the Palestinian Authority’s Prisoners and Freed Prisoners Committee, Arda has been placed in a small and dirty cell in Ashkelon prison.

He said that Arda is being monitored constantly in solitary confinement, including when he uses the toilet, depriving him of privacy.

The lawyer said last Friday, October 1, that Arda is considering a hunger strike if his prison conditions worsen in the coming days.

On Monday, October 4, Arda started his first day of hunger strike.

The Six Palestinian prisoners who managed to liberate themselves on September 6, from Gilbou prison: Mahmoud Arda, Mohammad Arda, Yaaqob Qadri, Ayham Kamanji, Zakaria Zubaidi and Munadel Infeiat.

Four of the six breakers, Mahmoud Arda, Mohammad Arda, Yaaqob Qadri, Zakaria Zubaidi, were rearrested by the Israeli occupation on September 11, after five days of large-scale sweep operations throughout occupied Palestine using high-tech systems and the two others, Munadel Infeiat and Ayham Kamanji, were rearrested on September 19, after 13 days.

On Thursday, Israel’s Prison Service (IPS) moved Gilbou’s six breakers to solitary confinement.

Khaled Mahajna, the lawyer of Mohammad Arda, wrote on Facebook on Friday that after Israeli authorities concluded the investigations with the prisoners over their successful jailbreak, they were moved to solitary incarceration in different jails. Mahajna described the IPS decision as “arbitrary.”

The PA’s Prisoners Committee said that the occupation state intensified its pressure on Palestinian prisoners inside its jails, viewing them as “dangerous and a source of threat”.

The Committee said the occupation state had started a campaign to transfer prisoners between jails, so each Palestinian prisoner will not spend more than six months in the same cell and no more than a year in the same prison section.

Hundreds of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails have also started on Tuesday a series of protest campagin in response to the punitive and repressive measures taken against them by the Israel Prison Service (IPS), including torture, solitary confinement, interrogations and denying the access of essential services for them.

The recent repression and punitive measures against many of them came as a collective punishment following Gilbou’s break.

(Source / 07.10.2021)

Israeli settlers break into Al-Aqsa mosque, perform “silent prayers”

Occupied Jerusalem (QNN)- Dozens of extremist Israeli settlers broke into the courtyards of the Al-Aqsa Mosque in the occupied city of Jerusalem in the early morning hours of Thursday, performing “silent prayers.”

Under the occupation forces protection, over 60 Israeli settlers broke into the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque during the morning break-in session and their incursions to the mosque continues till this moment.

The settlers entered through the Damascus Gate- which Palestinians call Bab al-Amoud Gate- and they are now provoking the Palestinian worshipers by performing “silent Talmudic prayers” in the courtyards of the mosque.

In an unprecedented decision, an Israeli occupation court said yesterday that the presence of Israeli settlers at the al-Aqsa mosque does not constitute a “criminal act” as long as their prayers remain “silent.”

The judge of the Jerusalem Magistrates Court, Bilha Yahalom, said that the silent prayer in the mosque cannot be considered a “criminal act,” Israeli Channel 7 reported.

This came in an appeal by Rabbi Aryeh Lippo against a police ban on his visits to a flashpoint site.

The judge also ordered the police to shorten the ban and allow the rabbi to return to his prayer there.

“His daily arrival at the Temple Mount indicates that this is a matter of principle and substance for him,” the judge said, using the Hebrew name of Al-Aqsa mosque.

Israeli occupation authorities allow settler incursions to the mosque since 2003 under the forces protection, despite repeated objections and warnings by the Palestinian religious authorities as the visits provoke worshippers of the mosque.

Israeli forces always facilitate and protect the settlers breaking into the holy site while preventing Palestinian worshipers from entering it, assaulting and detaining them.

The Al-Aqsa mosque is one of the holiest sites in Islam. It was also Islam’s first Qibla, the direction towards which Muslims must turn to pray, before it was changed to Mecca.

Jews refer to the area as the Temple Mount, claiming it was the site of two prominent Jewish temples in ancient times. The complex also includes the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, one of the most sacred Christian sites in the world.

(Source / 07.10.2021)