Israel extends detention of 4 Palestinians caught after jailbreak

Israeli security forces take a Palestinian inmate into custody, one of the 6 escapees from Gilboa prison, after being arrested in Umm al-Ghanam town, Israel on September 11, 2021 [Israeli Police / Anadolu Agency]
Israeli security forces take a Palestinian inmate into custody, one of the 6 escapees from Gilboa prison, after being arrested in Umm al-Ghanam town, Israel on September 11, 2021

The Israeli Magistrate’s Court in the northern Nazareth city has extended the detention of four Palestinian inmates, who had escaped from a high-security prison earlier this week, reported Anadolu Agency.

The Israeli General Prosecution had requested during a session held late Saturday to extend their detention for 13 days, but the court approved a 9-day extension, the state-owned KAN news TV reported.

Last week’s prison break had left Israel confounded, as six inmates dug their way out of the maximum security Gilboa prison and managed to escape without detection. Of the six, Israeli authorities have thus far re-arrested four of the inmates – members of Islamic Jihad  Mahmoud Aradeh and Yakub Kadari; Zakaria Zubeidi, commander of Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, and Mohammed Aradeh , the younger brother of Mahmoud Aradeh.

Israeli police claim that the four Palestinians had allegedly planned to a carry out a “serious terrorist act”, a crime that is punishable to 15 years in prison, according to Haaretz newspaper. Israeli prosecutors also accuse the four of jailbreak and incitement for others to escape from prison, a felony that is punishable to 20 years.

The remaining two escapees have thus far evaded capture.

The jailbreak has been hailed as a “big victory” by Palestinians, while Israelis decried it as a major security and intelligence failure.

Read: Who are Palestinian escapees from Israel’s Gilboa prison?

The six escapees dug the hole over a period of time with nothing but a rusty spoon, and hid the entrance point with a loose floorboard.

The six Palestinians left at around 1:00am local time, and emerged directly beneath the watch tower, where, according to security sources, the guard in the watch tower had fallen asleep.

The six men then continued on foot to a waiting vehicle, where some got in and others continued walking.

The alarm was initially raised by a citizen on Israel’s Route 71, who claimed to have seen figures running through fields, arousing suspicions of a prison break. Subsequent reports included that of one from a gas station attendant who had seen a strange man apparently passing through.

Three prisoners were reported missing by prison staff at around 03:30am, which was then increased to six unaccounted for at 4am.

The Gilboa prison break is believed to be Israel’s most successful instance of escaping a high security jail.

Opinion: Israel’s inevitable failure

(Source / 12.09.2021)

Israel strikes Gaza in retaliation for rocket fire related to Gilboa prison escape

An Israeli F-16 fighter jet releases flare near Sderot, in southern Israel on the border with the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip, on May 14, 2021 [JACK GUEZ / AFP via Getty Images]
An Israeli F-16 fighter jet releases flare near Sderot, in southern Israel on the border with the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip, on May 14, 2021 

Israel carried out air strikes in the Gaza Strip on Sunday, allegedly in response to Palestinian rocket fire into its territory, the Israeli military said.

Tension between Israel and the Palestinians has risen over the past week, after six Palestinians escaped from a maximum security Israeli jail on Monday. Israeli forces have since captured four of the inmates.

Drawing Israeli air strikes, Gaza militants allegedly  fired a rocket into Israel on Friday when two of the prisoners were apprehended and then again on Saturday, after two more escaped inmates were caught. The Israeli military said it struck targets belonging to Hamas. There were no reports of casualties.

A fragile truce between Israel and Hamas ended 11 days of fierce fighting in May in which at least 250 Palestinians and 13 in Israel were killed.

Read: Who are Palestinian escapees from Israel’s Gilboa prison?

Last week’s prison break had left Israel confounded, as six inmates dug their way out of the maximum security Gilboa prison and managed to escape without detection.

The six escapees dug the hole over a period of time with nothing but a rusty spoon, and hid the entrance point with a loose floorboard.

The six Palestinians left at around 1:00am local time, and emerged directly beneath the watch tower, where, according to security sources, the guard in the watch tower had fallen asleep.

The six men then continued on foot to a waiting vehicle, where some got in and others continued walking.

The alarm was initially raised by a citizen on Israel’s Route 71, who claimed to have seen figures running through fields, arousing suspicions of a prison break. Subsequent reports included that of one from a gas station attendant who had seen a strange man apparently passing through.

Three prisoners were reported missing by prison staff at around 03:30am, which was then increased to six unaccounted for at 4am.

The Gilboa prison break is believed to be Israel’s most successful instance of escaping a high security jail.

(Source / 12.09.2021)

Israeli Jets Fire Missiles Several Sites in Gaza

Israeli aircraft fired missiles, early Saturday morning, at several locations in the besieged Gaza Strip, causing damage, the Palestine News And Information Agency (WAFA) reported.

WAFA correspondent stated that the occupation targeted sites west of Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, with two missiles, causing damage to the site and civilian homes.

Israeli warplanes also fired a missile at a site in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip, causing damage to the site and adjacent civilian homes.

In the north, at least one missile was fired at farm land east of Beit Hanoun town, there were no reports of any casualties.

The Israeli army spokesperson alleged that the bombing was in response to a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip, Quds News Network reported.

The Gaza Strip has become a humanitarian catastrophe, due to the strict air, land, and sea blockade imposed by the Israeli occupation on the inhabitants of the tiny coastal enclave.

Breaking: On Saturday night, an army spokesperson claimed that Palestinian resistance factions fired a rocket at an Israeli settlement nearby, Quds News Network reported.

It added that sirens sounded in the colony, and the Iron Dome missile defense system repelled the rocket, there were no reports of damage or casualties.

(Source / 12.09.2021)

Fact-check service says Israeli narrative on rearrested Gilboa breakers is false

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- A local fact-check service revealed that the Israeli narrative on the recent re-arrest of four out of six Gilboa prison breakers was false.

“Tayaqqun” said that Israeli media circulated a picture of a young man, who has been identified as a Palestinian man who reported on two of the freed prisoners. However, it turned out that the young man, Imad Iddin Jabbarin from Umm Al Fahem, was arrested by Israeli forces while he was taking part in a protest in solidarity with prisoners.

It added that in another report, a picture of an Israeli officer was published with an Arabic name, claiming that the officer is a Palestinian man from Druz who also serves as a policeman. However, the mentioned name does not match with the name on the officer’s uniform.

Tayaqqun also said that Israeli media reported that a Palestinian family from occupied Nazareth informed on two prisoners when they asked the family for food and that they were in a very bad condition due to the lack of food and shelter. However, the Israeli narrative is baseless and contradicted, as pictures and video footage of the prisoners during their arrest show them in clean clothes and in very good condition.

(Source / 12.09.2021)

After being re-arrested, ‘Israel’ remands four of Gilbou’s six breakers for 9 days

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- An Israeli court in the Nazareth on Saturday remanded four of Gilbou’s six breakers for nine days, after being rearrested by the Israeli occupation forces, the Palestinian Commission of Detainees’ and ex-Detainees’ Affairs said.

The four Palestinian prisoners have been rearrested by the Israeli occupation on Friday night and Saturday dawn, after five days of large-scale sweep operations throughout occupied Palestine using high-tech system.

The four who were rearrested are Mahmoud Arda, Zakaria Zubaidi, Yaaqob Qadri and Mohammad Arda, and all now held amid concerns of torture and human rights abuses

The prisoners are now facing a set of charges issued by the Israeli court yesterday, including jailbreak, planning an armed attack, conspiring to escape the prison, and associating with a prohibited organization, the Commission of Detainees’ and ex-Detainees’ Affairs said.

The Israeli Court also denied the four rearrested Gilbou’s prison breakers visitations by their lawyer.

Six Palestinian prisoners managed to free themselves on September 6 2021, from Gilbou prison, a high-security Israeli prison, through a secret tunnel they had reportedly dug beneath the prison.

Gilbou’s six breakers were identified as:

Mahmoud Arda, 46 years old, from Arraba town in Jenin, imprisoned since 1996, sentenced to life and 15 years and belonging to the Islamic Jihad movement.

Mohammad Arda, 39 years old, from Arraba town in Jenin, imprisoned since 2002, sentenced to life and belonging to the Islamic Jihad movement.

Yaaqob Qadri, 49 years old, from Beir al-Basha town in Jenin, imprisoned since 2003, sentenced to life and belonging to the Islamic Jihad movement.

Ayham Kamanji, 35 years old, from Kufr Dan town in Jenin, imprisoned since 2006, sentenced to life and belonging to the Islamic Jihad movement.

Zakaria Zubaidi, 46 years old, from Jenin refugee camp, imprisoned since 2019, was not sentenced, and is a former commander of Fatah’s Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades.

Munadel Infeiat, 26 years old, from Yabad town in Jenin and imprisoned since 2019, was not sentenced and belonged to the Islamic Jihad movement.

(Source / 12.09.2021)

One of Gilbou’s six breakers transferred to hospital after being tortured by Israeli forces

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Zakaria Zubaidi, one of the Gilbou’s six breakers, has been transferred to an Israeli hospital to get urgent medical treatment after being tortured and beaten by Israeli occupation forces after they rearrested him.

Israeli Kan 11 reported on Sunday that Zubaidi has been taken to Rambam Medical Center in Haifa for treatment.

46-year-old Zubaidi is one of Gilbou’s six breakers who managed to free themselves on September 6 2021, from Gilbou prison, a high-security Israeli prison, through a secret tunnel they had reportedly dug beneath the prison.

Zubaidi is from Jenin refugee camp, imprisoned since 2019, was not sentenced, and is a former commander of Fatah’s Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades.

He was arrested by the Israeli occupation on Saturday dawn, along with three of his inmates, after five days of large-scale sweep operations throughout occupied Palestine using a high-tech system.

The other three prisoners who were rearrested with Zubaidi are Mahmoud Arda, Yaaqob Qadri and Mohammad Arda, and all now held amid concerns of torture and human rights abuses.

The Israeli court in the Nazareth on Saturday remanded the prisoners for nine days, and they are now facing a set of charges issued by the court, including jailbreak, planning an armed attack, conspiring to escape the prison, and associating with a prohibited organization, according to the Palestinian Commission of Detainees’ and ex-Detainees’ Affairs.

(Source / 12.09.2021)

For 2nd day in row, ‘Israel’ strikes locations in Gaza, causes damage

Besieged Gaza Strip (QNN)- Israeli warplanes bombarded several locations across the Gaza strip at the dawn of Sunday, for the second day in a row, causing damage.

Israeli warplanes fired at least 6 missiles at a location in Al-Maghazi camp in the center of the Gaza Strip.

The Israeli warplanes also shelled a location in Khan Younis city in the southern Gaza Strip.

The Israeli missiles also targeted an empty agricultural land in Rafah, causing damage to a poultry farm near the location, and targeted another location in the city of Rafah with over 4 missiles.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

The Israeli occupation forces claimed that the shelling was in response to missiles fired from Gaza at settlements near Gaza last night.

This came after a warning by the resistance to escalate the situation if the Israelis continue to assault Palestinian prisoners in its jails. It also comes shortly after a statement by Abu Ubaida, Al Qassam’s spokesperson, in which he promised not to leave Palestinian prisoners alone.

(Source / 12.09.2021)

Investigators believe Gilbou’s six breakers received no help, Israeli media reports

Occupied Palestine(QNN)- Israeli media reported that investigators believe Gilbou’s six breakers who managed to free themselves from Gilbou prison, a high-security Israeli prison, earlier this week, received no help.

After interrogating the four Palestinian prisoners, Israeli police and Shin Bet security service investigators concluded they had no accomplices on the outside, or assistance from within Gilbou Prison, Israeli Channel 12 reported on Saturday night.

The report said the six breakers may have received minor assistance from passersby, such as offers of rides or clothing, none of which was premeditated.

Israeli Police sources told Israeli Ynet news site on Saturday that despite earlier claims that the six breakers had outside help and that a getaway vehicle had driven them away, the occupation authorities now believe they acted alone and traveled on foot the entire time.

The six breakers apparently first walked together to the Arab town of Na’ura and split up from there, according to Channel 12.

Investigators believe that while the six breakers meticulously plotted their escape from the prison, they had relatively few clear plans upon getting out.

Four Palestinian prisoners have been rearrested by the Israeli occupation on Friday night and Saturday dawn, after five days of large-scale sweep operations throughout occupied Palestine using high-tech system.

The four who were rearrested are Mahmoud Arda, Zakaria Zubaidi, Yaaqob Qadri and Mohammad Arda, and all now held amid concerns of torture and human rights abuses.

As the court extended their remands by nine days, the prisoners are now facing a set of charges issued by the Israeli court on Saturday, including jailbreak, planning an armed attack, conspiring to escape the prison, and associating with a prohibited organization.

Six Palestinian prisoners managed to free themselves on September 6 2021, from Gilbou prison, a high-security Israeli prison, through a secret tunnel they had reportedly dug beneath the prison.

Gilbou’s six breakers were identified as:

Mahmoud Arda, 46 years old, from Arraba town in Jenin, imprisoned since 1996, sentenced to life and 15 years and belonging to the Islamic Jihad movement.

Mohammad Arda, 39 years old, from Arraba town in Jenin, imprisoned since 2002, sentenced to life and belonging to the Islamic Jihad movement.

Yaaqob Qadri, 49 years old, from Beir al-Basha town in Jenin, imprisoned since 2003, sentenced to life and belonging to the Islamic Jihad movement.

Ayham Kamanji, 35 years old, from Kufr Dan town in Jenin, imprisoned since 2006, sentenced to life and belonging to the Islamic Jihad movement.

Zakaria Zubaidi, 46 years old, from Jenin refugee camp, imprisoned since 2019, was not sentenced, and is a former commander of Fatah’s Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades.

Munadel Infeiat, 26 years old, from Yabad town in Jenin and imprisoned since 2019, was not sentenced and belonged to the Islamic Jihad movement.

(Source / 12.09.2021)

Video| Palestinians in 1948-occupied territories protest in solidarity with Gilboa prison breakers

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Hundreds of Palestinians in 19948-occupied cities protested in front of the Israeli court in occupied Nazareth on Saturday in solidarity with Gilboa prison breakers, who were rearrested earlier on Friday and Saturday after a five-day-long manhunt.

Hundreds of protesters chanted slogans praising the four prisoners and showing solidarity with them and calling for the resistance to free them.

The protesters raised the flag of Palestine and the Palestinian Kufiyyeh, while they refused to talk to Israeli media.

In the same context, Palestinians also protested in Wadi Ara and closed road number 65 in solidarity with the prisoners.

In Baqa Al Gharbiyyah, dozens protested in solidarity with the prisoners as well.

(Source / 12.09.2021)

Israeli PM promises not to freeze illegal settlements building

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Israeli occupation Prime Minister Naftali Bennett has promised not to freeze the construction of illegal settlements in the occupied West Bank, but said there will be no annexation.

During a meeting held on Thursday with leaders from the Yesha Council, the main settler advocacy group, Bennett discussed the development of illegal settlements in the occupied West Bank.

According to Israeli media reports, the leaders from the Yesha Council agreed to continue working with Bennett to advance those issues.

An unsourced report from the Israeli Kan public broadcaster said that Bennett told the settler leaders that he was “committed” to illegal settlements and won’t freeze construction there, and repeated his statement that there will be no annexation.

Bennett told The New York Times in an interview published last month — a day before his arrival in Washington to meet the US President Joe Biden — his government “will neither annex nor form a Palestinian state, everyone gets that.”

He told The New York Times that he would continue “natural growth” expansion of the illegal settlements in the occupied West Bank.

In the last few weeks, settler leaders have held protests outside Bennett’s office warning that he was “drying out the settlements.

Bennett is known for being an outspoken advocate of Israeli annexation of parts of the occupied West Bank, and he is strongly associated with the settlements, having led the Yesha Council.

Bennett also vowed that his government will back the expansion and construction of illegal settlements in all areas of the occupied West Bank.

Last July, Israel Hayom reported that Bennett had placed a “de facto freeze” on the building of illegal settlements and their expansion under US pressure, as he had refused to allow members of Israel’s Supreme Planning Council in the occupied West Bank to convene, thus preventing it from approving new construction and settlement expansion plans.

The newspaper wrote that this decision means a “complete freeze on future construction” of illegal settlements in the occupied West Bank as long as the Supreme Council is prevented from meeting.

Thursday’s meeting was the first meeting with the Yesha Council since Bennett took office in May.

The previous government, under then-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, was supposed to set a date for a meeting of the committee, but Benny Gantz prevented it from doing so, insisting only the new government should do so, the newspaper said.

It also said that although Bennett has been in power for over a month, no date has been set, “this time due to American pressure.”

The Supreme Planning Council is responsible for approving construction plans for settlements’ expansion and infrastructure.

There are nearly 700,000 Israeli settlers living in 256 illegal settlements and outposts scattered across the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem. Israeli settlements are illegal under international law.

(Source / 12.09.2021)