Israel to transfer 1m covid vaccines to Palestine in exchange deal

Paramedics vaccinate elderly people nursing home in Tel Aviv on 13 January 2021 [Nir Keidar/Anadolu Agency]
Paramedics vaccinate people in Tel Aviv on 13 January 2021

The new Israeli government said it would transfer over a million Pfizer coronavirus vaccines to Palestine on condition of having the same number returned later this year, local media reported.

The deal would see the Palestinian Authorithy (PA) providing Israel with doses when it receives its share from the pharmaceutical company in September or October.

Up to 1.4 million doses could be exchanged, the government said in a statement.

“We will continue to find effective ways to cooperate for the benefit of people in the region,” Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid tweeted after the deal was announced.

Israel, which has fully reopened after vaccinating some 85 per cent of its adult population, has faced criticism for medical apartheid and not sharing its vaccines with the 4.5 million Palestinians living under its occupation in the West Bank and Gaza.

Rights groups have said that Israel, as an occupying power, is obliged to provide vaccines to the Palestinians.

Israel denies having such an obligation, pointing to interim peace agreements reached with the Palestinians in the 1990s.

READ: Go back to my country? As a Palestinian, I wish I could

(Source / 18.06.2021)

Israel continues violation of Gaza ceasefire

Flames are seen after an Israeli air strike hit Hamas targets in Gaza City, Gaza on 15 June 2021. [Ali Jadallah - Anadolu Agency]
Flames are seen after an Israeli air strike hit Hamas targets in Gaza City, Gaza on 15 June 2021

Israel yesterday continued its aerial bombardment of the Gaza strip, breaking a fragile ceasefire for the second time since its 11-day assault last month. Israel carried out the first series of air raids on Wednesday, targeting what it said were Hamas facilities in Khan Younis. Palestinian sources said that the strikes caused property damage, but there were no immediate reports of casualties.

Palestinian sources on the ground said Israeli missiles hit several sites belonging to armed groups in the northwest of Gaza City and north of Beit Lahia. The missiles also targeted a civil administration building located to the east of the northern city Jabaliya, as well as an agricultural field east of the southern town of Khan Younis.

Israeli media reported that the army attacked Hamas targets within the Gaza Strip in retaliation for the launching of balloons by activists in the area. The balloons, which were launched early Thursday, are reportedly rudimentary devices intended to set fire to farmland around Gaza. The balloons ignited eight fires near the fence between Gaza and Israel, all of which were subsequently put out with no casualties reported.

According to Al Jazeerathe army said it will “continue to destroy Hamas’ military capabilities and structures and hold it responsible for what is happening in the Gaza strip.”

Gaza had barely begun to recover from the 11-day war last month, where at least 257 Palestinians, including 66 children, were killed by Israel. The ceasefire came into effect on 21 May.

Gaza’s Health Sector: Challenges in War and Peace

(Source / 18.06.2021)

Islamic Jihad: Next Jerusalem battle will be ‘regional war’

Member of the Islamic Jihad Movement Khaled al-Batsh makes a speech during a protest against U.S. President Donald Trump’s Middle East plan in Gaza City, Gaza on Februay 21, 2020 [Ali Jadallah/Anadolu Agency]
Member of the Islamic Jihad Movement Khaled Al-Batsh in Gaza City, Gaza on 21 February 2020

The next battle over Jerusalem will be a “regional war”, a senior member of the Islamic Jihad Movement’s political bureau warned yesterday.

“It is enough to hear five prominent leaders in the region expressing their readiness to defend Jerusalem,” Khaled Al-Batsh told reporters.

He described those forces as “capable of waging war and leading a regional battle for Jerusalem.”

Last month Israel bombed the Gaza Strip, killing over 250 Palestinians, after resistance factions declared support for Palestinians in occupied East Jerusalem who are at risked of forced displacement to make way for illegal settlers.

READ: Joint List urges major powers to stop provocative rallies by Israel’s far-right

(Source / 18.06.2021)

Israel issues demolition orders to 8 Palestinian families

An Israeli soldier and border guard stand by as an excavator demolishes a Palestinian house located within the area C southeast of Hebron in the occupied West Bank on March 8, 2021 [HAZEM BADER/AFP via Getty Images]
An Israeli soldier and border guard stand by as an excavator demolishes a Palestinian house located within the area C southeast of Hebron in the occupied West Bank on March 8, 2021

Israeli occupation forces today issued demolition orders against eight Palestinian structures in the village of Jawaya, based near Hebron, reported Wafa news agency.

Coordinator of the National and Popular Committee in southern Hebron, Rateb Al-Jbour, said that Israeli forces barged their way into the village and handed six villagers demolition orders for their property.

Among the properties slated for demolition are three houses, including a two-storey house, an agricultural room and a shed besides four wells.

The soldiers also delivered demolition orders against five Palestinian houses, including some built using brick and tin sheets, to the east of Yatta city, which will displace three families consisting of 40 members.

Al-Jbour noted that Israel demolishes Palestinian houses and structures almost on a daily basis as a means to achieve “demographic control” of the occupied territories, a practice described by Palestinians and human rights activists as a form of ethnic cleansing.

READ: Israel demolishes Bedouin homes in the West Bank

Israel occupied the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, during the 1967 Six Day War. It justifies the demolition of Palestinian homes by saying that they lack building permits, despite the fact that Israel very rarely issues such permits to Palestinians.

The Zionist state, meanwhile, approves the construction of thousands of residential units within illegal settlements built on occupied Palestinian land.

Israel’s widely practiced policy of home demolitions targeting entire families are acts of illegal collective punishment and come in direct violation of International Human Rights Law.

(Source / 18.06.2021)

Israel shoots, kills 15-year-old Palestinian in Nablus

Israeli forces fire at Palestinians in Jerusalem on 24 December 2019 [Mostafa Alkharouf/Anadolu Agency]
Israeli forces fire at Palestinians in Jerusalem on 24 December 2019

A 15-year-old boy yesterday succumbed to his injuries after being shot with live ammunition by Israeli occupation forces in Beita, a village south of Nablus.

Ahmad Zahi Ibrahim Bani Shamsa spent a day in intensive care before being pronounced dead by the Palestinian Health Ministry.

The occupation forces claimed Bani Shamsa had approached the illegal Israeli outpost in Beita with a group of friends, one “hurled a suspicious object at him, which exploded adjacent to the soldier.”

The soldier then fired at the teenager who was hit and critically injured. There were no Israeli casualties.

As Palestinians continue to hold weekly protests against the building of an illegal Jewish settlement near Beita, the occupation forces have opened fire on demonstrators. Three other residents of Beita were killed by Israeli fire in the last week, including another teenager, 15-year-old Mohammad Hamayel.

Colonization is everyday. In Bieta, near Nablus, Israelis are building a colony on Palestinian land. For weeks, Beita’s indigenous population has been defending their lands against Zionist settlements & military rule. The IOF has killed 4 Palestinian men. Many wounded.

Afbeelding

The announcement of Shamsa’s death came on the same day that an Israeli police officer was charged with reckless homicide one year after the murder of an autistic Palestinian in Jerusalem’s Old City.

READ: Israeli army shoots Palestinian youth in head

(Source / 18.06.2021)

Renewed Israeli Airstrikes against the Gaza Strip

The Israeli army bombarded, on Thursday night, several sites in the besieged Gaza Strip, the Jerusalem Press reported.

Quds Press correspondent stated,

Israeli warplanes bombed a site of the Palestinian resistance in the town of Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip.”

Israeli fighter jets targeted sites in the northern region of Beit Lahia and Beit Hanoun, in addition to an alleged resistance site in Khan Younis, southern Gaza.

No injuries were reported at the time of this report.

Israeli warplanes fired missiles into the southern besieged Gaza Strip, early on Wednesday morning, breaking the ceasefire which brought the most recent eruption of violence to an end.

Between May 10 and May 21, Israel bombarded the tiny coastal enclave, killing 230 Palestinians, until an Egypt brokered ceasefire was imposed on May 21, 2021.

(Source / 18.06.2021)

680 Individuals Call for US to Uphold Palestinian Rights

An open letter the US Biden administration was published, Thursday, demanding the provision of basic human rights for the people of Palestine, with 680 signatures, the New Arab (Al-Araby) reports.

Signatories of the letter include Israeli expatriate, author and historian, Ilan Pappé and US academic, Noam Chomsky, in addition to religious and other civil society groups, demand President Biden to put “human rights at the centre of US foreign policy”.

“More and more people are acknowledging that a sustained peace will not be possible until the Israeli government ends its institutionalized domination and oppression of the Palestinian people and starts being held accountable for all violations of international law committed against them. And this will not happen without US leadership,” said Sandra Tamari, executive director of US-based Palestinian advocacy organization, Adalah Justice Project.

The individuals, from 75 different countries, called on President Biden to secure the accountability of Israeli authorities, to apply “diplomatic pressure” on the occupation state to end its “discrimination and oppression” of the Palestinians.

The signatories pressed the US Administration for an end to the decades long policy of maintaining the “political status quo, devoid of justice and accountability“.

(Source / 18.06.2021)

Israeli Paramilitary Settlers Attack Palestinian Village

In the village of Qusra, south of Nablus in the northern West Bank, Israeli paramilitary settlers on Wednesday night attacked Palestinian homes and vehicles, according to local sources.

A member of the Qusra Municipal Council, Imad Jamil, told the Palestinian Wafa News Agency that a group of settlers sneaked into the southern part of the village, attacked the houses of at least two villagers and smashed the windshields of a villager’s vehicle.

The settlers came to the village heavily armed, as are all Israeli colonial settlers living illegally on stolen Palestinian land in the West Bank.

According to Jamil, local Palestinian villagers came out of their homes to try to stop the paramilitary settlers from damaging homes and property. But Israeli soldiers stationed nearby began shooting at them with live ammunition. No injuries were reported, however.

The settlers came from the nearby colonial outpost of Esh Kodesh, in the northern West Bank.

(Source / 18.06.2021)

Breaking| Israel strikes targets in Gaza for second night in a row, breaking ceasefire

Gaza Strip (QNN)- The occupation state has launched a series of airstrikes on several targets in the Gaza strip on Thursday night.

The Israeli jets struck targets in Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip, no injuries have been reported yet, as all targets were empty.

The Israeli military also struck locations in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip.

The Israeli jets also struck an empty agricultural land in Jabalia camp in the northern Gaza Strip.

‘Israel’ launched a series of airstrikes on several targets in the Gaza strip in the early hours of Wednesday this week, as the Palestinian resistance warned the occupation state against the settlers’ raid in Jerusalem on Tuesday, which was approved despite the warnings.

The raids early on Wednesday come less than a month after Israel’s 11-day bombardment of Gaza in May and followed a march in occupied East Jerusalem by Israeli nationalists that drew Palestinian condemnation and anger.

Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip started on May 10 and ended with a ceasefire brokered by mediator Egypt on May 21, killing at least 279 Palestinians, including 69 children and 40 women and injuring 1,910 others.

19 families in the Gaza Strip have been wiped off the population civil registry during Israel’s 11-day aggression, the Palestinian Health Ministry said, including 41 children and 25 women.

More than 90,000 Palestinians were displaced from their homes, and much of Gaza’s infrastructure and many residential buildings were completely destroyed or levelled.

Health centres, media offices, as well as schools were among the structures targeted during the 11-days of constant bombardment.

(Source / 18.06.2021)

Breaking| Palestinian resistance downs Israeli drone in Gaza

The Palestinian resistance in the Gaza Strip shot down an Israeli drone as it was overflying the western areas of the Gaza Strip on Thursday night.

The resistance fighters opened fire at a drone (quadcopter) and seized it after it fell down in a western area of Gaza.

The occupation state has launched a series of airstrikes on several targets in the Gaza strip on Thursday night.

The Israeli jets struck targets in Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip, no injuries have been reported yet, as all targets were empty.

The Israeli military also struck locations in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip.

The Israeli jets also struck an empty agricultural land in Jabalia camp in the northern Gaza Strip.

‘Israel’ also launched a series of airstrikes on several targets in the Gaza strip in the early hours of Wednesday this week, as the Palestinian resistance warned the occupation state against the settlers’ raid in Jerusalem on Tuesday, which was approved despite the warnings.

The raids early on Wednesday come less than a month after Israel’s 11-day bombardment of Gaza in May and followed a march in occupied East Jerusalem by Israeli nationalists that drew Palestinian condemnation and anger.

Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip started on May 10 and ended with a ceasefire brokered by mediator Egypt on May 21, killing at least 279 Palestinians, including 69 children and 40 women and injuring 1,910 others.

19 families in the Gaza Strip have been wiped off the population civil registry during Israel’s 11-day aggression, the Palestinian Health Ministry said, including 41 children and 25 women.

More than 90,000 Palestinians were displaced from their homes, and much of Gaza’s infrastructure and many residential buildings were completely destroyed or levelled.

Health centres, media offices, as well as schools were among the structures targeted during the 11-days of constant bombardment.

(Source / 18.06.2021)