PA presidency condemns killing of two intelligence officers

PA spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeinah [Wikipedia]
PA spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeinah

A spokesman for Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has condemned the Israeli attack on the town of Jenin in the occupied West Bank in which two Palestinian military intelligence officers and a Palestinian ex-prisoner were killed.

“The [Israeli] occupation practices and continuous violations of the Palestinian people rights as well as violations of international law will create tension and a dangerous escalation,” said Nabil Abu-Rudeineh. He called on the US and the international community to put pressure on Israel to stop its aggression “so that matters do not reach an uncontrollable stage.”

The incident happened on Thursday. Undercover Israel forces entered Jenin overnight in a civilian car and shot dead at least three Palestinians, including the two PA officers.

The Islamic Resistance Movement praised the Palestinian officers for standing up to the Israeli forces. Their “brave and heroic” act, said Hamas, was the real and required role expected from the security services in the West Bank, which is to “protect and defend our people”.

READ: Palestinians demand the removal of Abbas from his leadership positions

(Source / 11.06.2021)

Report: Egypt blames PA’s Abbas for failure of reconciliation talks

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah, West Bank on 12 May 2021 [Issam Rimawi/Anadolu Agency]
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah, West Bank on 12 May 2021

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas is the reason why reconciliation talks scheduled for this weekend in Cairo have been postponed “indefinitely”, Rai Al-Youm newspaper reported.

According to the paper, Egypt decided to postpone the meeting followed a series of incidents which led them to believe that the talks were destined to “fail”.

The incidents began when Abbas sent a Fatah delegation to Egypt. It was headed by General Jibril Rajoub, Ahmed Helles and Rawhi Fattouh, though Abbas had initially agreed to attend in person.

Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh had already arrived in Cairo as part of his movement’s delegation.

Later, Egyptian officials received information that Abbas had prevented the Palestinian factions in the occupied West Bank from travelling to Cairo to participate in the talks which was the first indication that Abbas is seeking to monopolise or thwart the reconciliations talks.

READ: PA presidency condemns killing of two intelligence officers

The second surprise came when the Fatah delegation in Cairo conveyed a “strict” message from Abbas who had put two conditions for coordinating Gaza reconstruction efforts under the Egyptian auspices.

“The first condition was direct and definitive instructions from Abbas that Hamas must immediately participate in a Palestinian national unity government before elections take place, while the second condition is that the Palestinian elections will not take place without Israel’s approval to include the occupied city of Jerusalem,” the paper said.

Angered with Abbas’s position, the Egyptians are reported to have informed Hamas and other Palestinian figures that they are proceeding with the reconstruction projects in the besieged Gaza Strip in coordination with the “fait accompli” leaders in Gaza, meaning Hamas.

The paper said, both Hamas leaders, Ismail Haniyeh and Yahya Sinwar, agreed to this Egyptian strategy which would also involve coordination with the United Nations.

(Source / 11.06.2021)

Gaza’s economy further crippled by 33-day closure of commercial crossing

The Karm Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom) crossing, which is the economic lifeline of Gaza, has now been closed for 33 days, reducing the work of the main power plant, and aggravating the fuel crisis in the enclave, 11 June 2021 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
The Karm Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom) crossing, which is the economic lifeline of Gaza, has now been closed for 33 days, reducing the work of the main power plant, and aggravating the fuel crisis in the enclave, 11 June 2021
The Karm Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom) crossing, which is the economic lifeline of Gaza, has now been closed for 33 days, reducing the work of the main power plant, and aggravating the fuel crisis in the enclave, 11 June 2021 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
The Karm Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom) crossing, which is the economic lifeline of Gaza, has now been closed for 33 days, reducing the work of the main power plant, and aggravating the fuel crisis in the enclave, 11 June 2021 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
The Karm Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom) crossing, which is the economic lifeline of Gaza, has now been closed for 33 days, reducing the work of the main power plant, and aggravating the fuel crisis in the enclave, 11 June 2021 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
The Karm Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom) crossing, which is the economic lifeline of Gaza, has now been closed for 33 days, reducing the work of the main power plant, and aggravating the fuel crisis in the enclave, 11 June 2021 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]

Israel’s continued closure of Gaza’ sole trade crossing is a form of collective punishment and is exacerbating the human and economic suffering of residents in the Strip, the Popular Committee Against the Siege (PCAGS) said today.

The Karm Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom) crossing, which is the economic lifeline of Gaza, has now been closed for 33 days, reducing the work of the main power plant, and aggravating the fuel crisis in the enclave.

Approximately 4,000 trucks have been banned from entry, they were carrying goods and basic necessities which are now piled in ports and warehouses at a great cost to their owners, PCAGS explained.

Some businesses have been forced to close as they lack the materials to operate, increasing the unemployment rate, which has now reached nearly 65 per cent.

READ: Gaza to rebuild industrial zone to ease unemployment

The import of relief materials, international aid and foodstuffs have also suffered as a result of the closure.

Rights groups have said Israel is using the closure as a means of blackmailing Palestinian factions to agree to its terms in the post truce talks.
The occupation state carried out an air raids campaign across Gaza in May which lasted 11 days and killed 254 people, including 66 children.

Israel killed at least 254 Palestinians, including 66 children, 39 women, and 17 elderly people during the bombardment. More than 1,900 were wounded, including 380 children, 540 women, and 91 elderly
MEMO #Infographic
READ: https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20210601-the-human-and-m…/

(Source / 11.06.2021)

Israel: footage exposes guards beating Palestinian prisoners

Israeli forces brutally arrest a Palestinian man in Jerusalem on 27 May 2021 [Mostafa Alkharouf/Anadolu Agency]
Israeli forces brutally arrest a Palestinian man in Jerusalem on 27 May 2021

A video showing Israeli prison guards brutally assaulting Palestinian inmates in a Negev prison has been published by Haaretz. Described as one of the most violent incidents against prisoners ever seen in an Israeli jail, the incident was reportedly carried out by ten guards on 24 March 2019.

Security cameras documented the assault on 55 shackled Palestinian prisoners linked to Hamas. They can be seen bent over on the floor and restrained, as Israeli prison officers punch, kick and beat them with batons. The prisoners were also ordered not to speak or move for hours.

According to Haaretz, only four of the guards were investigated by the Lahav 433 unit of the Israeli police service which investigates prison officers. Nobody has been arrested. The unit said that the official reason for the escalation was an “unknown offender”. The investigation has now been closed.

At the time of the incident, the prison service claimed that guards tried to restore order in the wing after a riot broke out following the stabbing of two officers by a “Hamas militant”. The footage showed no such disorder.

A Palestinian prisoner who filed a complaint about the incident that night described events as “brutal, random violence by the guards.” He said that a guard beat him seven or eight times with an iron baton.

READ: Israel: police arrest seven for assaulting elderly Arab man

Ali Da’ana, serving a 20-year sentence for attempted murder, said: “I was beaten mercilessly by masked guards as I lay on the floor, for no reason. It was revenge. I told one of them that I had a chronic illness and he said it didn’t matter. They kept hitting.”

According to the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society, about 95 per cent of Palestinian prisoners in Israel experience ill-treatment or torture during their detention and interrogation.

Since Israel began its military occupation in 1967, it has imprisoned almost 800,000 Palestinians. Around 4,500 are being held at the moment, more than 350 of whom are held with neither charge nor trial.

(Source / 11.06.2021)

Israel kills Palestine teenager in West Bank

Israeli police take a Palestinian into custody during a protest against the Israeli court to evacuate the homes of Palestinian families in Jerusalem on 26 May 2021 [Mostafa Alkharouf/Anadolu Agency]
Israeli police take a Palestinian into custody during a protest against the eviction of Palestinian families in Jerusalem on 26 May 2021

A Palestinian teenager was killed on Friday when Israeli soldiers dispersed protests against illegal Israeli settlements, eyewitnesses said, Andadolu Agency reports.

Also, multiple Palestinians were injured in the demonstrations held in the West Bank cities of Nablus, Qalqilya, and Ramallah.

Israeli soldiers dispersed the protests held across the West Bank with live and rubber bullets, and tear gas.

The fatality was confirmed by the Palestinian Health Ministry in a statement, however, no other details were given. The ministry added that six Palestinians were injured by live bullets and taken to a hospital in Nablus.

The Palestinian Red Crescent Society put the figure of injured at nine, adding that six were taken to hospital.

Meanwhile, eyewitnesses said 15-year-old Mohammad Said Hamayil was killed in the Israeli firing.

Tens of protesters also suffered difficulty in breathing after inhaling tear gas, they added.

READ: Has the Sword of Jerusalem uprising slain Netanyahu?

According to Israeli and Palestinian figures, around 650,000 Israeli settlers live in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem in 164 settlements and 116 settlement-outposts.

International law regards both the West Bank and East Jerusalem as occupied territories and considers all Israeli settlement-building activity there illegal.

In 1967 Israel occupied major parts of the Palestinian territories, including the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, the Sinai Peninsula, and the western part of Golan Heights.

The UN Security Council adopted several resolutions, obliging Israel to free the occupied territories, but the latter neglected all of them and continues its expansionists politics.

(Source / 11.06.2021)

Israeli Soldiers Abduct Ten Palestinians In Jerusalem

Israeli soldiers abducted, on Thursday evening, ten Palestinians and attacked several others after they protested a provocative tour by the fanatic right-wing member of Israeli Knesset, Itamar Bin-Gvir, of the Otzma Yehudit party.

Eyewitnesses said the soldiers and police officers chased dozens of Palestinians and assaulted them when they protested the tour and the speech of Bin-Gvir.

The soldiers fired many concussion grenades at the Palestinians and assaulted several with batons in addition to firing gas bombs, before abducting ten, including at least one child.

The eyewitnesses added that the soldiers and the police ignored the racist chants of the colonialist settlers, including when they were hurling insults at women, and assaulted many Palestinians.

(Source / 11.06.2021)

Soldiers Abduct Six Palestinians In Jenin And Bethlehem

Israeli soldiers abducted, on Friday at dawn, six young Palestinian men in Jenin and Bethlehem, in the occupied West Bank.

Montaser Sammour, the head of the Jenin office of the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) said the soldiers installed a sudden military roadblock near the az-zawiya village, south of Jenin.

He added that the soldiers stopped and searched many cars, and interrogated several Palestinians, before abducting Ahmad Ali Mousa and Ali Mohammad Mousa.

The soldiers also invaded Janata town, east of Bethlehem, south of occupied Jerusalem, and searched several homes, before abducting Mousa Ahmad al-‘Arouj, Mousa Rajeh al-‘Arouj, Abdul-Rahman Raed al-‘Arouj, and Saher Hasan al-‘Arouj.

(Source / 11.06.2021)

Army Injures Many Palestinians Near Ramallah

Israeli soldiers injured, Friday, dozens of Palestinians in Silwad town, east of the central West Bank city of Ramallah, as they march protesting the constant Israeli violations and demanding the release of the corpse of a young man who was killed by the army last month.

The soldiers attacked the protesters with a barrage of gas bombs, concussion grenades at rubber-coated steel bullets, causing dozens of injuries.

The Palestinians marched in the town demanding the Israeli army to transfer the corpse of Mohammad Rawhi Hammad, 30, who was fatally shot by the soldiers after claiming her attempted to ram them with his car.

The Palestinian was among ten who were killed by Israeli army fire, on May 14th, 2021, across the occupied West Bank, and more than 500 were injured.

The process today, Friday, was held by hundreds of Palestinians and was organized by civil society institutions and political factions, demanding an end to the Israeli occupation, violations, and calling for the release of the corpses of dozens of Palestinians who were killed by the soldiers this year, and throughout previous years.

They chanted for liberty and independence, and against the escalating Israeli violations against the Palestinian people, their homes, lands, property, and holy sites across occupied Palestine.

Qaddoura Fares, the head of the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) said Israel’s policies of refusing to allow the transfer of the corpses of slain Palestinians is another violation of International Law, and are part of its ongoing immoral and criminal practices against the Palestinian people.

The family of the slain Palestinian called on the International Community to intervene and hold Israel accountable for its crimes and violations.

It is worth mentioning that Israel is still holding the corpses of 315 Palestinians, including 235 who have been buried in the so-called “Numbers Graveyard” for many years. The corpses of 80 Palestinians, including 9 who were killed in May of this year, remain in Israeli morgues.

(Source / 11.06.2021)

Infant Among Several Palestinians Injured In Kufur Qaddoum

Israeli soldiers attacked, Friday, the weekly procession in Kufur Qaddoum town, east of the northern West Bank city of Qalqilia, and fired gas bombs at random, causing an infant to suffer the effects of teargas inhalation in her family’s home.

The Palestinians marched from the center of the town while chanting for liberation and independence, and calling for ending Israel’s escalating violations before the soldiers attacked them with gas bombs, concussion grenades, and rubber-coated steel bullets.

Some of the Israeli gas bombs struck homes, causing an infant, identified as Nourseen Luay Abdullah, 8 months, to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation, before the medics rushed her to a local clinic.

Several Palestinians were also injured during the Israeli invasion and attack.

It is worth mentioning that last Saturday, June 5th, the soldiers attacked the weekly procession in Kufur Qaddoum, injuring a Palestinian child and causing dozens more to suffocate due to the effects of teargas inhalation.

The Palestinians in Kufur Qaddoum hold weekly processions against the closure of the village’s main road, which was blockaded by the army 18 years ago to enable easy access to the illegal colonialist settlers while driving to and from Kidumim colony, which was installed on stolen Palestinian lands.

In related news, the soldiers injured dozens of Palestinians in Silwad town, east of the central West Bank city of Ramallah, as they march protesting the constant Israeli violations and demanding the release of the corpse of a young man who was killed by the army last month.

(Source / 11.06.2021)

Army Injures Seven Palestinians In Nablus

Israeli soldiers shot, Friday, seven Palestinians with live fire, and caused many to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation, during a procession in Beita town, south of the northern West Bank city of Nablus.

Media sources said the soldiers attacked the nonviolent protesters with live rounds, in addition to gas bombs and concussion grenades.

Palestinian medics provided treatment to the Palestinians who suffered the effects of tear gas inhalation and rushed the residents who were shot with live fire to a hospital in Nablus.

It is worth mentioning that the Palestinians have been holding nonviolent processions in Jabal Abu Sbeih Mountain, where illegal Israeli colonialist settlers occupied their lands and installed an outpost.

Also Friday, the soldiers attacked the weekly procession in Kufur Qaddoum town, east of the northern West Bank city of Qalqilia, and fired gas bombs at random, causing an infant to suffer the effects of teargas inhalation in her family’s home.

In addition, the soldiers injured dozens of Palestinians in Silwad town, east of the central West Bank city of Ramallah, as they march protesting the constant Israeli violations and demanding the release of the corpse of a young man who was killed by the army last month.

(Source / 11.06.2021)