Emergency recollections: Palestine refugee recount her survival story

This refugee was one among more than 200,000 internally displaced persons due to the heavy Israeli bombardment that caused massive havoc across the besieged Gaza Strip

Yaffa is a 33-year-old displaced Palestine refugee in Gaza. During recent airstrikes that left harrowing human costs in its wake, Yaffa found shelter at the UNRWA Abu Hussein School.


Displaced by airstrikes, Palestine refugees are left to seek shelter at UNRWA schools, such as UNRWA Jabalia Preparatory Girls “A” School, locally known as Abu Hussein School, one of around 50 shelters of its kind in the Gaza Strip.

These UNRWA schools are designated as shelters to be used during times of conflict. During the recent conflict, over 66,000 Palestine refugees were displaced at UNRWA schools. Other tens of thousands did not have anywhere to go. Some stayed at homes of their relatives.

“My family and I spent the first day of Eid al Fitr (a day of celebration marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan) in a shelter,” Yaffa said. “My house and the rest of the homes in the neighbourhood were crushed by the indiscriminate and intense bombings.”

She recalled: “My four children and I ran for more than one kilometre to reach a shelter, away from the brutal bombings. I am nine months pregnant! I was so terrified that night; it was like a horror movie. I did not think that I would survive the night.”

Fifty-eight Agency schools-turned shelters provided emergency refuge to more than 66,000 Gazans during Israel’s eleven-day offensive on the besieged Strip.

“In our rush to escape the airstrikes, I lost my eight-year-old Maya,” Yaffa painfully recounts. “We spent the rest of the night looking for her! We found her in the Al-Tawam area of north Gaza. She had been picked up by an ambulance transporting two dead bodies.

“When I found her, she was in shock and was unable to speak. I later found out that seeing the bodies of the deceased up close had terrified her. Maya told me that blood was everywhere.”

Yaffa continued: “UNRWA provide us with shelter, protection services and food. They even brought clothes for the children because we were unable to gather anything before we fled our homes.

“When the Israeli offensive was over and a ceasefire declared, we went back to our home. It was completely levelled to the ground. Then, my children started crying.”

Describing the feelings of her traumatised daughter, Yaffa said: “Maya said that all her toys were dead like the bodies in the ambulance. My children were asking me all the time to go back to the school, fearing that the bombing would happen again.”

Concluding her story, Yaffa said: “I have started to get contractions and expect to go into labour in a few days. I do not know how I’ll be able to prepare myself or the baby for our reality.

“I hope we will be able to return to a safe and stable home soon. We do not want to be displaced anymore.”

(Source / 08.06.2021)

Hamas renews call for Saudi Arabia to release Palestinians in its prisons

Days of Palestine – Gaza – The Islamic Resistance Movement “Hamas” today, Tuesday, renewed its call to the Saudi authorities to release Palestinian detainees, especially the detainee Muhammad al-Khudari, who is over eighty years old and suffers from several diseases.

This came in a press statement by the movement’s leader, Raafat Mora, in conjunction with the holding of a session to try Palestinian detainees in Saudi Arabia, including the representative of the “Hamas” movement in the kingdom, Muhammad al-Khudari.

Read More: The Prisoners Association: 18 journalists are in the Israeli occupation prisons

He stated that the continued detention of al-Khudari and others is a great injustice, and an insult to the Palestinian people and their just cause, and to the Palestinian-Saudi relationship.

The Hamas leader called on the kingdom’s leadership to take a decision to end this trial, and the return of the detainees to their families, especially since there is no violation committed by the detainees.

Read More: Mass demonstrations in World call to stop aggression on Palestine

In this regard, he pointed out that Dr. Al-Khodari and his detained brothers and their families have been subjected to severe injustice and suffering for more than two years, and this injustice and the suffering of families must be put to an end.

On September 9, 2019, Hamas announced Saudi Arabia’s arrest of “Al-Khudari” and his son and said that he was responsible for managing the relationship with the Kingdom for two decades, and he also held high leadership positions in the movement.

They added that his arrest comes as part of a campaign that targeted many of the Palestinian people residing in Saudi Arabia, without further clarification.

For its part, the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor based in Geneva, said in a statement issued on September 6, 2019, that Saudi Arabia is forcibly disappearing 60 Palestinians; Including Al-Khudari and his son.

Since the beginning of the discussion on the issue of Palestinian detainees in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh has not issued any comment or clarification.

(Source / 08.06.2021)

Hamas condemns US Secretary of State recent statements

Days of Palestine – Gaza – Hamas condemned the recent statements Antony Blinken, US Secretary of State, gave as he granted Israel the green line to continue its attacks against the Palestinian people. 

“Israel has no right to self-defense; its duty, according to international law, is to end its occupation of our homeland,” Hamas said in a statement. 

Read More: Shamali: Israeli army killed 200 civilians in Gaza, and I apologize for my statements

Blinken said yesterday in an interview with Axios that Hamas is involved in terrorism and that Israel has the right to self-defense. 

Hamas also condemned the US administration’s ongoing military support to the Israeli occupation and providing it with all kinds of advanced weapons, which makes the United States a part of the aggression on Gaza. 

Read More: Hamas condemns UNRWA director’s defending Israeli aggression on Gaza

“We were expecting for Blinken to send his messages in the right direction; to remind the Israeli occupation of its duties according to international law, to respect those duties, and to enable the Palestinians to enjoy their basic rights,” Hamas said. 

“We hoped that Blinken and his new administration learned the lesson after the great failure of their intervention in the Israel-Arab conflict for decades as a result of their bias to the Israeli position, and their failure to eliminate the Palestinians’ powers by not allowing the elections to be conducted,” Hamas added. 

Hamas confirmed in the statement that it is a Palestinian, national movement of resistance, democratically elected, and practices its legal rights to resisting the Israeli occupation with all possible tools, including the armed resistance. It is terrorism. The Israeli occupation itself is terrorism. 

“The humanitarian disaster the people in Gaza live in is because of the Israeli occupation and its blockade imposed on Gaza and supported by the US,” Hamas said. 

Hamas headed a letter to the US Secretary of State and his administration, saying “if you are concerned about achieving stability in the region, you have to respect our people’s free will, commit to the international law, and implement the international decisions that confirm the Palestinians’ right to freedom, independence and return to their homelands.” 

(Source / 08.06.2021)

Mayor of Gaza: Siege of Gaza, which destroyed everything in it, must be ended

Days of Palestine – Gaza – Yahya Al-Sarraj, Mayor of Gaza, stressed the importance of ending the Israeli siege imposed on the Gaza Strip, noting that the siege destroyed everything beautiful in the Strip.

In a brief interview with the Palestinian Information Center, during fieldwork to clean up neighborhoods south of Gaza City, as part of the “H’an Amerha” “We will rebuild it” campaign, Al-Sarraj said: “This campaign is the largest volunteer work campaign in the Gaza Strip, in which all national institutions and factions participated.”

Read More: Gaza Economy: Israel destroys 16 factories in Gaza during the aggression

He added that we are proud of these struggling people, who announced that he will not wait for anyone, and will start by himself with all the ingredients he possesses to rebuild his country.

He called for the importance of concerted efforts to start a serious process of rebuilding what was destroyed by the Israeli occupation during the recent aggression on the Gaza Strip, and throughout the years of the siege.

Read More: Israel keeps up bloody aggression on Gaza

He added that the Israeli occupation has destroyed everything that is beautiful in the Gaza Strip, and this campaign continues until the governorates of the Gaza Strip are reconstructed, saluting all participants in the campaign.

(Source / 08.06.2021)

Israeli court extends the detention of Sheikh Kamal Al-Khatib

Days of Palestine – Jerusalem – The so-called Zionist “magistrate’s court” today, Tuesday, extended the detention of Sheikh Kamal Al-Khatib, head of the Freedoms Committee, which is part of the Higher Follow-up Committee for Arabs inside the Palestinian territories, until the end of the judicial procedures.

The defence team of Sheikh Al-Khatib considered this decision, as a “judicial precedent.”

Read More: Israeli forces storm house of “AlKurd” family, arrest Muna in Sheikh Jarrah

Lawyer Omar Khamaiseh, Sheikh Al-Khatib’s lawyer, told reporters after the court session, “We are in front of a judicial precedent. We are used to being released in such files, and as much as the courts were strict in terms of release.”

He added, “We are surprised that the judge today issued a political decision because the trial from the beginning is political.”

Read More: Israeli police suppress peaceful sit-in in Sheikh Jarrah and arrest Al-Jazeera correspondent

He continued: “Sheikh Kamal al-Khatib is in very high spirits and is not afraid of such a decision, and it was expected that there would be malicious dealings from the judge.”

Lawyer Khamaiseh referred to the defence team’s intention to petition against the decision to the Israeli District Court.

He said: “We will study the reasons for the decision, and we will appeal it as soon as possible before the Central Court, and we are aware that such files reach the Supreme Court, with the importance of the so-called space for the expression of opinion, if there is still space for opinion when you are an Arab Palestinian.”

Israeli occupation police arrested Sheikh Al-Khatib from his home in the village of Kafr Kanna last month, and later, charged him with belonging to a banned organization, the Islamic Movement, and publishing posts claiming to support what it calls violence, while Sheikh Al-Khatib denied the accusations against him.

(Source / 08.06.2021)

Israeli forces launch campaign of arrest in West Bank and Jerusalem

Days of Palestine – Ramallah – Last night and at dawn today, the Israeli occupation forces launched a campaign of arrests in separate areas of the West Bank and occupied Jerusalem, targeting a number of citizens, including ex-prisoners.

In Bethlehem, the Israeli occupation forces arrested five citizens, including an ex-prisoner, after raiding and searching the homes of their relatives, all of them from the Dheisheh camp in the south.

Read More: Israeli massive arrest campaign in the West Bank and Jerusalem

Local sources reported that during the storming of the Dheisheh refugee camp, clashes erupted between the youths and the occupation forces, which opened fire, as a result of which a young man was wounded with live bullets in the leg, and his injuries were described as moderate.

In Ramallah, the Israeli occupation forces arrested the freed captive Muhammad Huda Al-Asmar (41 years), after raiding his house and tampering with its contents in the town of Beit Rima, northwest of Ramallah.

Read More: Massive campaign of arrests in the West Bank and occupied Jerusalem

The Israeli occupation forces arrested the ex-prisoner Yousef Odeh, after raiding and searching his house in Deir Ammar village, west of Ramallah.

In Nablus, the Israeli occupation forces arrested the young man, Anas Al-Khanfa, from the town of Beit Iba, west of Nablus, while the Israeli occupation forces raided the house of the prisoner, Ahmed Awad, in the city of Nablus at dawn today and destroyed its contents.

In occupied Jerusalem, the Israeli occupation forces arrested the young men, Oraib Mohsen Abu Khdeir, Muhammad Walid Abu Khdeir, and Saif Walid Abu Khdeir, after they raided and searched their homes in the Old City of Jerusalem.

Separate areas of the West Bank and occupied Jerusalem witness daily incursions by the Israeli occupation forces, including raids and searches of homes, sabotaging their contents, and terrorizing their residents, especially women and children.

(Source / 08.06.2021)