Belgium demands Israel compensation for the demolition of Palestinian homes

Deze afbeelding heeft een leeg alt-atribuut; de bestandsnaam is phpThumb.php

Belgium requested the Israeli authorities to pay compensation for the demolition of Palestinian buildings that were built with Belgian support, as part of the humanitarian aid that is being carried out in the West Bank.

In a press release issued by the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, she expressed her concern about the alarming increase in the number of demolitions and seizures by the Israeli authorities of buildings and humanitarian projects in Area C in the West Bank.

The ministry said, “Belgium is horrified by the destruction of about 76 homes, facilities and Brixa, in the village of Khirbet Humsa al-Fawqa in the Jordan Valley, and this has a great impact on the local population and on the assistance provided by humanitarian partners.”

Belgium called on the Israeli authorities, in accordance with international humanitarian law, to put an end to the demolition of humanitarian aid, affirming its support for these infrastructure projects, because they meet urgent humanitarian needs, which are always implemented in accordance with international humanitarian law.

It also condemned the demolition of four homes in the occupied Palestinian territories in the village of Al-Rukayz, south of Hebron, last month, by the Israeli authorities, as this basic infrastructure was built with Belgian funds, as part of the humanitarian aid implemented by the West Bank Protection Union, and demanded compensation or compensation from Israel. About demolitions.

In its statement, the ministry reiterated that the demolition of infrastructure and housing in the West Bank is inconsistent with international humanitarian law, especially the Fourth Geneva Convention, Israel’s obligations as an occupying power and the United Nations Security Council resolutions.

And she continued: Belgium is not the only international donor facing demolition, since 2017, and at the initiative of Belgium, a group of affected partner countries have systematically communicated with the Israeli authorities to demand that they stop the demolitions, repair the damaged projects, or compensate them for damages.

Belgium, in its capacity as a member of the UN Security Council, also expressed its concern about the demolition of schools, affirming the right of Palestinian children like all other children in the world to education, a right guaranteed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, and the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Belgium also called on the Israeli authorities not to implement the demolition orders for the schools of Ras al-Tin, Jana and Khirbet al-Fakhit, as well as to protect 52 schools in the West Bank that are at risk of demolition.

(Source / 08.11.2020)

Palestinians happy with Trump’s election loss

Nabil Shaath, an adviser to Palestinian president, speaks during a meeting with Russian Foreign Minister in Moscow on 19 December 2017. [VASILY MAXIMOV/AFP via Getty Images]
Nabil Shaath, an adviser to Palestinian president, speaks during a meeting with Russian Foreign Minister in Moscow on 19 December 2017

US President Donald Trump’s departure from the White House will be a relief for Palestinians under Israeli occupation, the nation’s leaders said Sunday, Anadolu reports.

Nabil Shaath, Palestine President Mahmoud Abbas’ special envoy, told Anadolu Agency that the Trump administration was the worst for Palestinians.

“For us, it is a gain to get rid of Trump. However, we don’t expect an essential strategic change in America’s stance towards the Palestinian cause,” he said.

Hanan Ashrawi, a senior member of the Palestine Liberation Organization’s Executive Committee, called for a re-adjustment of balances in and out of the US.

Mustafa Barghouti, General Secretary of Palestinian National Initiative, expressed happiness about US election results and said Trump was the worst American president civilization encountered in modern times.

“Trump shattered international relations and politics. The so-called ‘Deal of the Century’ was the worst thing he did for Palestinians,” he said.

Mujahideen Movement, part of the Palestinian resistance, also commented on election results and said Trump’s downfall was tantamount to the collapse of all systems that have betrayed their own people and Palestine.

Israel occupied Palestinian territories, including the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip in 1967.

Palestinians want the territories for the establishment of a future Palestinian state.

READ: Biden’s victory to put Netanyahu in crisis

(Source / 08.11.2020)

Arab nations slam Israel for razing Palestinian village

People are seen at a makeshift shelter after the raids by Israeli forces on the homes of Palestinian Bedouins in Tubas, West Bank, on 6 November 2020. [Issam Rimawi - Anadolu Agency]
People are seen at a makeshift shelter after the raids by Israeli forces on the homes of Palestinian Bedouins in Tubas, West Bank, on 6 November 2020

Palestine, the Arab League, Qatar, and Jordan on Saturday strongly condemned Israel’s demolition of a village in occupied West Bank, Anadolu reports.

Israel’s recent aggression is “a blatant violation of the rules of international law and international covenants,” Ambassador Saeed Abu Ali, the Arab League’s assistant secretary-general for Palestine and the Occupied Arab Territories told Palestinian news agency WAFA.

“The international community must confront this continuous and escalating Israeli aggression which not only targets the Palestinian people and their rights, but also violates the will of the international community, its charters, and laws,” he said.

Israeli forces raided a village in occupied West Bank this past Tuesday and razed 11 houses belonging to 23 families.

In a statement, Qatar’s Foreign Ministry said the demolition was “an illegal act that aims to displace Palestinians and destroy their land in severe violation to international agreements.”

READ: Jordan’s Queen Noor criticises Israel’s demolition of Palestine homes 

The ministry stressed the need for the international community to “move swiftly to protect the Palestinian people from the dangers of forced and mass displacement, and hold the occupation accountable for these severe violations.”

Palestine’s Foreign Ministry slammed Israel’s demolitions as acts of ethnic cleansing and crimes to expand its colonial project.

The ministry urged the International Criminal Court to initiate an investigation against Israel and hold it accountable for its crimes.

Jordan’s Foreign Ministry also strongly criticized the demolition and called on the international community to pressure Israel to end its illegal aggression.

Israel occupied Palestinian territories, including the West Bank, East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip, in 1967.

Palestinians want these territories for the establishment of a future Palestinian state.

(Source / 08.11.2020)

Hamas chief urges Biden to scrap ‘deal of the century’

Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh informs Hanna Nasser, head of the Palestinian Central Election Commission, that Hamas agrees to the plan for holding Palestinian elections [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh (C) in Gaza on 26 November 2019

Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh has called on US President-elect Joe Biden to pull back outgoing President Donald Trump’s so-called “deal of the century”, Anadolu reports.

In a statement, Haniyeh asked the Biden administration to abolish the US recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and the embassy move to the holy city.

Trump’s “deal of the century” refers to Jerusalem as “Israel’s undivided capital” and recognizes Israeli sovereignty over large parts of the West Bank.

The plan, which has invited a storm of condemnations from the Palestinians, calls for the establishment of a Palestinian state in the form of an archipelago connected by bridges and tunnels.

Haniyeh urged Biden “to correct the path of US unfair policies towards our [Palestinian] people which made the US a partner [to Israel] in oppression and aggression”.

The Hamas leader went on to call on the new US administration to “respect the will of the Palestinian people and their democratic choices… and to refrain from the policy of pressure on the peoples and countries of the region to normalize ties with the [Israeli] occupation.”

Projected by major US media outlets, Biden, 77, was announced as the 46th US President after defeating Trump.

Kamala Harris: US will reverse Trump-era policy, restore relation with Palestine

(Source / 08.11.2020)

Israel to build new settlement near Gaza

New buildings in the Israeli settlement of Efrat south of the city of Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank on 14 October 2020 [HAZEM BADER/AFP via Getty Images]
New buildings in the Israeli settlement of Efrat south of the city of Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank on 14 October 2020

The Israeli cabinet on Sunday approved the construction of a new settlement near the border with the Gaza Strip, according to Israeli Channel 12Anadolu reports.

Ahead of the cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the government will approve the building of a new settlement near Gaza.

“This is a great news for Israel, this is great news for the communities in the Gaza border area,” Netanyahu said.

Israeli daily Yediot Ahronoth reported that the new settlement will house around 500 families and it will be named as “Hanun”.

The Israeli government said it will allocate one million NIS ($ 296,000) for the development of the infrastructure in the new settlement, which will be within the area of Israel’s Sdot Negev Regional Council.

There was no comment from the Palestinian authorities on the report.

The West Bank, including East Jerusalem, is regarded as occupied territory under international law, thus making all Jewish settlements there illegal.

READ: UN records 33 Israel settler attacks on Palestinians picking olives last month 

(Source / 08.11.2020)

OCHA: Protection of Civilians Report (Oct. 20 – Nov. 2, 2020)

Deze afbeelding heeft een leeg alt-atribuut; de bestandsnaam is AmerSnobar-e1603604033951.jpg

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)

Highlights from the Reporting Period

  • On 25 October, a 16-year-old Palestinian boy died during an Israeli search-and-arrest operation in Turmus’ayya village (Ramallah). According to the Israeli authorities, the boy fell and hit his head on the ground while being chased by soldiers, along with other Palestinian stone-throwers. Palestinian eyewitnesses indicated that he was severely beaten by Israeli forces and, according to the director of the hospital where he was admitted, his body showed signs of violence.
  • On 31 October, a Palestinian man was killed and six others were injured during a family dispute that triggered widespread clashes with Palestinian forces in the Balata refugee camp (Nablus). The death resulted from the detonation of an explosive device the man killed was carrying. The clashes led to the closure of schools and shops in the camp through the end of the reporting period.
  • The olive harvest season, which started on 7 October, continued to be disrupted by people known or believed to be Israeli settlers. In nine incidents (compared with 19 in the previous reporting period), Palestinians were injured, trees were damaged and produce was stolen. Five of the incidents took place in the Nablus governorate, near Burin village, where two olive pickers were stoned and injured; olive produce and agricultural tools were stolen in Burin, Deir al Hatab, and Jalud; and a tractor used for the harvest was vandalised in Qaryut. About 130 olive trees were vandalized near Turmus’ayya (Ramallah) and produce from about 200 others was stolen in Kufur Qaddoum (Qalqilia).
  • In numerous cases, the access of farmers to their olive groves in the closed area behind the Barrier was impeded. Israeli forces delayed the opening of certain agricultural gates, and in some cases prevented farmers from crossing with vehicles, leading some to refrain from accessing their groves, many of which are located away from the gate.
  • Two additional settler-related incidents resulted in injury or damage, both in the Nablus governorate. A Palestinian man was injured when hit by a stone in clashes that erupted between Palestinians of ‘Asira al Qibliya and Israeli settlers who had entered their village; Israeli forces intervened by firing tear gas canisters at Palestinians. In the Palestinian village of As-Sawiya, assailants believed to be settlers cut electricity poles and water pipelines.
  • Twenty-five Palestinians and one Israeli soldier were injured in multiple clashes across the West Bank. Eighteen of the injuries were sustained in the weekly protests against access restrictions and settlement activities in Kufur Qaddoum (Qalqilia), and four others in a protest against settler attempts to establish an outpost near Beit Dajan (Nablus). A boy was injured during clashes in Hebron city, and another Palestinian was physically assaulted while trying to enter Israel through a breach in the Barrier in the Tulkarem governorate. In Al-‘Isawiya (East Jerusalem), a Palestinian was physically assaulted and injured during a search-and-arrest operation. While no live ammunition injuries were recorded, four Palestinians were shot by rubber bullets and two were physically assaulted, while the remaining were treated for tear gas inhalation. An Israeli soldier was injured with a stone in clashes at the entrance of Al ‘Arroub refugee camp (Hebron).
  • On 30 October, Israeli soldiers opened fire at a Palestinian vehicle travelling near Qabatiya village (Jenin), resulting in the injury of three children (aged 13, 15, and 16) by shrapnel. The circumstances of the incident remain unclear.
  • Israeli forces carried out 161 search-and-arrest operations and arrested 126 Palestinians across the West Bank. A total of 37 operations were recorded in East Jerusalem, followed by Hebron (23) and Tulkarem (21).
  • On 20 and 22 October, a Palestinian armed group in Gaza allegedly fired three rockets at southern Israel and subsequently Israeli forces targeted military sites and open areas in Gaza. The rockets either fell in open areas or were intercepted. On at least 19 occasions, Israeli forces opened fire near Israel’s perimeter fence with Gaza, and off its coast, apparently to enforce access restrictions. None of these attacks resulted in injuries.
  • A total of 41 structures were demolished or seized due to lack of Israeli-issued building permits, displacing 19 people and otherwise affecting over 1,200. All the displacements and 37 of the structures targeted were in 15 communities in Area C, while the other four structures demolished were in East Jerusalem. On 28 October, the Israeli authorities cut a donor-funded pipe supplying water to 14 herding communities in the Masafer Yatta area of Hebron, home to about 1,400 people, including over 600 children; among other consequences, this is expected to undermine hygiene practices and people’s ability to cope with the ongoing pandemic. Three structures were demolished in two of the 18 Bedouin communities in the Jerusalem governorate located within or nearby the E1 area, where settlement expansion is planned.
  • One home was demolished and a room in another home was sealed on punitive grounds, displacing 18 people, including 11 children. The demolished house, in Rujeib (Area B of Nablus), was home to a Palestinian accused of stabbing to death an Israeli civilian last August. The sealing was carried out in Ya’bad (Area A of Jenin), at the home of a Palestinian charged for the killing of an Israeli soldier during a search-and-arrest operation last May.
  • One Israeli was injured and 11 Israeli-plated vehicles travelling inside the West Bank were damaged, when assailants (alleged to be Palestinians) threw stones at them, according to Israeli sources.

(Source / 08.11.2020)

Israeli Soldiers Shoot A Palestinian Near Hebron

Deze afbeelding heeft een leeg alt-atribuut; de bestandsnaam is soldershoot-e1604819189432.jpg

Israeli soldiers shot, on Sunday morning, a young Palestinian man at the entrance of the al-Fawwar refugee camp, south of Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank.

The soldiers shot the Palestinian, from Doura town south of Hebron, after he reportedly approached the fortified military town at the entrance of the al-Fawwar refugee camp.

The Israeli army claimed the soldiers shot the Palestinian “because he attempted to stab soldiers.”

The soldiers abducted the Palestinian after shooting him, and took him to an unknown destination.

His condition was still unknown at the time of this report.

(Source / 08.11.2020)

Soldiers Abduct Three Palestinians, Assault One, Near Jenin

Israeli soldiers abducted, earlier Sunday, three Palestinians from the al-Jalama town, and assaulted one in al-Yamoun, in addition to storming the home of a political prisoner, in Jenin governorate, in northern West Bank.

Media sources said the soldiers abducted Mohammad Yasser Shaban, Mohammad Zakariya Hamdan, and Fadi Yahia Abu Farha while walking near a section of the annexation wall, which was built on Palestinian lands in al-Jalama.

In addition, the soldiers assaulted a young man, identified as Karam Eyad Sammar, from the al-Yamoun town, west of Jenin, while walking near the Annexation Wall on Palestinian lands in Rommana village, west of Jenin.

The wounded man suffered various cuts and bruises and was moved to the Jenin governmental hospital.

In addition, the soldiers stormed the family home of a detainee, identified as Nathmi Abu Bakr, 49, and searched the property.

It is worth mentioning that, on October 21st, 2020, the army poured sponge finished concrete into Abu Bakr’s home, sealing approximately %40 of the property; the soldiers repeatedly invade the property to inspect it.

The army claims Nathmi is responsible for the death of an Israeli soldier, identified as Staff Sgt. Amit Ben Ygal, 21, after he reportedly dropped a large stone on his head from a rooftop when the soldiers invaded Ya’bad town, on May 12, 2020.

In related news, the soldiers shot a young Palestinian man at the entrance of the al-Fawwar refugee camp, south of Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank.

(Source / 08.11.2020)

Israeli Soldiers Abduct A Palestinian Near Jerusalem

Israeli soldiers abducted, on Saturday evening, a young Palestinian man from Anata town, northeast of occupied East Jerusalem.

Local nonviolent activist, Mohammad Oleyyan, stated that the abducted young man has been identified as Hamza Tamimi, 22.

He added that Tamimi was summoned, along with his father, for interrogation at a facility in occupied Jerusalem, and was taken prisoner once they arrived there.

It is worth mentioning that Hamza’s wedding was scheduled to be held, Sunday.

On Sunday morning, the soldiers abducted three Palestinians from the al-Jalama town, and assaulted one in al-Yamoun, in addition to storming the home of a political prisoner, in Jenin governorate, in northern West Bank.

(Source / 08.11.2020)

Video| Young man shot, arrested by Israeli soldiers in Hebron

Occupied Hebron (QNN)- A young man was wounded on Sunday morning by Israeli fire before being arrested at the entry to Al Fawwar refugee camp in southern Hebron.

Local sources said Israeli forces opened fire at the young man under the pretext of approaching a military tower adjacent to the refugee camp.

The sources added the young man was arrested after being shot. The Israeli army claimed that the young man carried a knife and that he planned to stab Israeli soldiers stationed inside the military tower.

(Source / 08.11.2020)