Palestinian factions condemn PA crackdown on West Bank protests

Gaza's Ministry of Prisoners held a protest outside the headquarters of the International Committee of the Red Cross in Gaza City in support of hunger striking prisoner Maher Al-Akhras who is now on the 78th day of his strike on 12 October 2020 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
Gaza’s Ministry of Prisoners held a protest outside the headquarters of the International Committee of the Red Cross in Gaza City in support of hunger striking prisoner Maher Al-Akhras who is now on the 78th day of his strike on 12 October 2020

Palestinian factions condemned on Wednesday the Palestinian Authority’s “violent” crackdown on protests at Red Cross offices across the occupied West Bank in solidarity with a Palestinian hunger striker held by Israel. Maher Al-Akhras is being held indefinitely with neither charge nor trial and has been on hunger strike for 80 days.

“Despite the positive atmosphere of reconciliation and talks about a united leadership for the popular resistance,” said the factions, “the PA has gone ahead with its non-patriotic behaviour by cracking down on people protesting in solidarity with Palestinian prisoners.”

The movements insisted that the “violent” dispersal of the protests is not acceptable. They pointed out that the crackdown is proof that the PA is still involved in security cooperation with Israel.

“No PA leaders have supported Al-Akhras at a time when they should be putting pressure on the Israeli occupation authorities to end his suffering, not cracking down on the people protesting in solidarity with him.”

In conclusion, the factions called on the people to organise widespread protests and action in solidarity with the hunger striker, whose health is deteriorating rapidly. They also called upon regional and international bodies to put pressure on Israel to release him.

Hamas: Resistance will force Israel to meet demands of hunger striking prisoners 

(Source / 15.10.2020)

Israel arrested 341 Palestinians in September

Palestinian activists take part in a protest in solidarity with Palestinian prisoners in Israeli prisons [File photo]
Palestinian activists take part in a protest in solidarity with Palestinian prisoners in Israeli prisons [Twitter]

Israeli forces arrested 341 Palestinians, including 32 children and three women, in September, local rights groups revealed yesterday.

In their joint report, Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, the Commission of Detainees and Ex-detainees Affairs, and the Wadi Hilweh Centre in East Jerusalem said that those arrested included 117 Palestinians from Jerusalem, 80 from Hebron, 25 from Ramallah, and 15 from Gaza. The others were spread across the occupied West Bank.

“There are about 4,400 Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails,” the report pointed out, “including 39 women, 155 children and 350 under the occupation’s administrative detention policy.” So-called administrative detention allows Israel to keep Palestinians in prison indefinitely with neither charge nor trial.

READ: Palestinian, Israeli rights groups fear for life of Palestinian hunger striker

(Source / 15.10.2020)

Palestinian Primary School Demolished by Israeli Forces

On Wednesday afternoon, Israeli forces used D9 Caterpillar Armored bulldozers (manufactured in Illinois, in the US) to demolish a Palestinian primary school east of Ramallah.

The school had recently been constructed with the assistance of international aid from the Norwegian Refugee Council and the European Council, and was located in the village of Ras al-Teen.

The youth of Ras al-Teen had been excited about the opening of their new school last month. Without the school, the 50 young students it was serving will now have to walk 5 kilometers to the nearest primary school in al-Mughayyir village.

The international aid organizations had managed to construct the school in time for the start of the school year, and it was serving 1st through 6th graders.

However, Israeli military forces, which govern the Palestinians in the West Bank under martial law, decided that the school must be destroyed. Their justification for the destruction was that the school had been ‘constructed without a permit’.

However, Israeli military authorities in the West Bank have not issued permits for Palestinians to be able to construct anything on their own land since 1967.

The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) said it is concerned about the Israeli military government’s destruction of the school.

The European-funded Palestinian primary school was the first school in Ras al-Tin herding community in the central West Bank.

According to NRC Regional Director Carsten Hansen, “These are some of the most vulnerable children, whose life is already extremely hard, and Israel as the occupying power has a duty to ensure that they get their education and basic service. Instead, it uses its power to do the opposite, denying them their fundamental right to education and paving the way for illegal settlement expansion.”

Ramzy Baroud noted in the Palestine Chronicle, “Israel’s strategy in destroying the infrastructure of the Palestinian schooling system is a brutal logic, that has guided the Israeli government strategy regarding Palestinian education for 70 years. It is a war that cannot be discussed or understood outside the larger war on Palestinian identity, freedom, and, in fact, the very existence of the Palestinian people.”

(Source / 15.10.2020)

Israeli Navy Ships Attack Palestinian Fishing Boats In Northern Gaza

Deze afbeelding heeft een leeg alt-atribuut; de bestandsnaam is fishermen_boat_navy-e1536830326676.jpg

Israeli navy ships opened fire, on Wednesday evening, at Palestinian fishing boats in Gaza territorial waters in the Beit Lahi Sea, in the northern part of the coastal region.

Eyewitnesses said the navy fired many live rounds at the Palestinian fishing boats near the Shore of the Sudaniyya and the al-Waha areas, west of Beit Lahia.

They added that the fishermen had to sail back to the shore in fear of additional Israeli attacks without being able to fish and provide for their families.

The attack is one of the ongoing violations by the Israeli navy and the army against the impoverished Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip.

There are around 4,160 fishermen and 700 workers in professions associated with the fishing sector, they are the main providers for their families (a total of 27,700 persons) and are all directly impacted by the ongoing Israeli violations. (Data from the Palestinian Center For Human Rights)

(Source / 15.10.2020)

Israeli Colonizers Chop & Destroy 300 Palestinian Olive Trees

Uprooted olive tree (archive image)

A group of right-wing Israeli colonial settlers attacked and destroyed hundreds of Palestinian olive trees in al-Jabaa village, west of Bethlehem on Wednesday, at the height of the harvest season.

Diab Mashaleh, head of the al-Jabaa village council, told the Palestinian Wafa News Agency that the Israeli colonial settlers invaded the Palestinian-owned olive orchards around the village and began chopping and uprooting trees, preventing the Palestinian farmers from harvesting their olives.

This is the second time this week that the colonizers invaded and destroyed olive trees. In this instance, the colonizers killed 300 olive trees in the northern areas of the village.

For Palestinians, the olive harvest is an extremely important season, as a large part of the Palestinian economy is based on the export of olive oil.

Israeli colonizers frequently destroy Palestinian olive orchards in an attempt to undermine the Palestinian economy, as well as to take over Palestinian farmland for the expansion of their colonial settlements. All Israeli settlements are considered illegal under international law.

(Source / 15.10.2020)

Soldiers Abduct Two Palestinians; Colonists Invade Olive Orchard, Harvest Palestinian Trees, In Sebastia

Israeli soldiers invaded, on Thursday at dawn, Sebastia town, west of the northern West Bank city of Nablus, while illegal colonists invaded olive orchards and harvested many trees before steeling the produce.

Mohammad Azem, the head of Sebastia Town Council, said several army jeeps invaded the town before the soldiers stormed and ransacked many homes.

He added that the soldiers abducted Ayham Nahedh Aqel, after frequently assaulting him, causing various injuries, while violently searching his home leading to excessive damage.

The soldiers also abducted another Palestinian, identified as Shahed Arafat, before moving him to Shavei Shomron illegal colony, which was built on stolen Palestinian lands, west of Nablus.

In related news, a group of Israeli colonists invaded a Palestinian orchard, owned by Majd Shehada, and harvested many olive trees before stealing the produce.

On Wednesday, a group of colonists destroyed hundreds of Palestinian olive trees in al-Jabaa village, west of Bethlehem.

(Source / 15.10.2020)

Sixty Palestinian Detainees Join Hunger Strike

The Palestinian Detainees Committee has reported that thirty detainees in Israeli prisons have joined the hunger strike, two days after thirty detainees started the strike in solidarity with Maher al-Akhras.

Hasan Abed-Rabbo, the media consultant of the Palestinian Detainees Committee, has reported that thirty detainees, members of Fateh Movement, and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) have joined the strike.

He added that the Israeli Prison Authority also forced three detainees, identified as Wael al-Jaghoub, Hatem al-Qawasmi, and Omar Kharwat into solitary confinement.

Two days ago, thirty detainees declared a hunger strike in solidarity with Maher al-Akhras, who continues his hunger strike for the 81st consecutive day, demanding an end to his illegal Administrative Detention, without charges or trial, despite his seriously deteriorating health condition, nearing death.

More detainees in various Israeli prisons and detention camps are planning to join the strike.

(Source / 15.10.2020)

‘Israel’ launches incitement campaign against Gazan Arab Idol and UNRWA Youth Ambassador

Ramallah (QNN)- The occupation state launched an incitement campaign against the Arab Idol and UNRWA Regional Youth Ambassador for Palestine Refugees, Mohammad Assaf, preventing him from visiting the occupied territories and working on expelling him from The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA).

‘Israel’ is also examining the possibility of calling for the cancelation of all Assaf’s events in the UAE, where he lives with his wife.

Israeli Maariv on Thursday quoted Avi Dechter, a member of the Israeli Knesset, saying that the Israeli authorities decided to prevent the young well-known singer from visiting occupied territories.

The Israeli decision depended on a study by The Center For Near East Policy Research, which slammed Assaf over praising martyrs and resistance against occupation.

As if it was a crime, the study described Assaf as the new Mahmoud Darwish and slandered him over singing for the Palestinian Kufiyyeh, the rifles of the resistance, and his wishes to go back to Al Aqsa mosque.

It also censured hosting a mother of six young men, one of them has been martyred by Israeli soldiers while the other five are held in Israeli jails.

Responding to the Israeli decision, the young Arab Idol said, “Being a part of the Palestinian people, I’m proud of my love for my country and adherence to our national principles.”

“The reports about preventing me from visiting the occupied territories, Jerusalem, and Gaza are only a continuation of the repression and stifled freedoms from which my people have been suffering”, he said. “I belong to these people in my heart and soul and nothing will ever prevent me from loving my country and singing to it wherever I go… You’re in my heart my beloved home.”

(Source / 15.10.2020)

‘Israel’ to ban Mohammed Assaf from visiting occupied territories

Ramallah (QNN) – The Israeli occupation authorities have withdrawn the travel permit that the Palestinian singer, Mohammed Assaf carries, which allows him to enter the occupied Palestinian territories, under a pretext of incitement.

The Israeli Knesset member, Avi Dichter said today that “Israel” will no longer allow Assaf to enter the occupied territories, and will ask the UAE authorities, where Assaf and his wife live, to stop his activities and concerts.

Dichter added that the occupation state will propose a request to the United Nations Relief and Work Agency (UNRWA) to stop Assaf’s activities as its Youth Ambassador.

The Israeli newspaper of “Makor Rishon” said in a report that the extremist Israeli centre of “Badin” alleged that the Palestinian singer incites against the occupation through his songs that encourage resistance, glorify the martyrs and call for an armed uprising against the occupation.

Assaf (31) is well known for being the winner of the second season of Arab Idol, broadcast by the MBC network. He has produced several singles and albums since then.

(Source / 15.10.2020)

UN: Israel demolished 555 Palestinian structures in 2020

The demolitions resulted in forcibly displacement of 747 Palestinians, including 382 children, and adversely affecting 2,722 others

Israeli occupation has demolished 555 Palestinian structures in occupied territories since the start of 2020, United Nations reported has revealed.

The demolitions, the UN report stated, were located in the occupied West Bank and east Jerusalem.

According to the report, the structures included 217 residential properties and 45 water, sanitation and hygiene facilities.

It also pointed out that the demolitions resulted in forcibly displacement of 747 Palestinians, including 382 children, and adversely affecting 2,722 others.

The demolition, Israeli occupation says, are being carried out due to the lack of building licenses.

Rights groups, including Israeli ones, have always said that obtaining a building license from Israeli occupation authorities is a dream that a Palestinian unlikely to get it achieved.

(Source / 15.10.2020)