IOF teargases Palestinian olive collectors in Beit Ummar town

teargas attack

AL-KHALIL, (PIC) – A number of Palestinian farmers on Saturday suffered from their exposure to tear gas when the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) attacked them in Beit Ummar town, north of al-Khalil city.

Local activist Mohamed Awad said that the IOF expelled the family of Mohamed al-Salibi and their friends from their olive grove in Wadi Abul-Reesh area of the town near the illegal settlement of Bat Ayin and Gush Etzion block of settlements.

He added that the IOF showered activists and farmers with tear gas canisters and pointed guns at them as they were getting prepared to collect olives from the trees on the land of al-Salibi.

In recent weeks, Israeli settlers — with the help of the Israeli occupation army — started to sabotage the Palestinian olive harvest season through destroying and burning olive trees or stealing crops.

(Source / 31.10.2020)

Ir Amim: 2020 is record year for Israeli demolitions in J’lem

demolition policy

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC) – Despite two months still left in the year, 2020 has surpassed previous years with a record total number of Israeli home demolitions in east Jerusalem, Ir Amim, an Israeli activist group, said in a report released recently.

“This week, Israeli authorities [carried out] several demolitions in east Jerusalem bringing the total number of housing units demolished since the beginning of the year to 125. Thus, with still two months left in the year, 2020 is the worst year in terms of demolition of housing units. Previously, 2016 was the year with the highest number of housing units demolished in East Jerusalem at 123.”

“Along with the 125 housing units, 64 other units (shops, storerooms etc.) have also been demolished,” the Israeli organization noted.

According to its report, “this record number of home demolitions was reached despite the fact that Israeli authorities froze demolitions for three months earlier during 2020. The freeze only happened after persistent demands from human rights organizations pointing to the significant risk that displaced families face during the COVID19 crisis.”

“The freeze on demolitions took place during the two periods of lockdown in Israel: From March 24 to May 25 and from September 18 to October 18. Still, the record number of demolitions demonstrates that the Israeli authorities chose not to take the necessary steps in order to prevent families from losing their homes during the pandemic.”

“The main reason for the spike in demolitions is the full enactment of Amendment 116 to the Planning and Building Law which resulted in an unprecedented number of 84 housing units (and 30 other units), out of the 125, being self-demolished by the families who owned them.”

“Amendment 116 increases enforcement and penalties against unpermitted construction and also limits the court’s ability to intervene on behalf of families who try to legalize their homes. The amendment came into full effect at the very end of 2018. And indeed, 2019 saw a sharp rise to a yearly total of 40 self-demolitions of housing units in comparison to 10-15 housing units in previous years. Now, in less than a year since January 2020, this record number has more than doubled.”

Ir Amim also accused Israel of discriminating against the Palestinians in east Jerusalem regarding building plans and permits for long decades.

“Israel’s long term policy of refusing to initiate or approve new detailed outline plans for Palestinian neighborhoods in east Jerusalem lies at the root of unpermitted construction. Last year, for example, out of over 21,000 housing units advanced in detailed outline plans in Jerusalem less than 8 percent were for Palestinian neighborhoods of the city (Palestinians comprise 38 percent of Jerusalem’s population),” Ir Amim said.

“The combined impact of discrimination in planning and increased home demolitions has been described and analyzed in ‘Ir Amim’s report on home demolitions in east Jerusalem during 2019,’” its report pointed out.

Ir Amim is an Israeli NGO whose activities include “monitoring” and “exposing” the Israeli government’s Judaization practices in east Jerusalem.

(Source / 31.10.2020)

Three boys were wounded by Israeli bullets in northern Jenin

Tonight, three boys from Jenin camp were wounded by bullets from the Israeli occupation forces, and one of them was critically wounded.

An eyewitness told the Palestinian Press that the boys were passing by a local vehicle on the bypass road north of Jenin. They were surprised by the exit of a force of soldiers from among the trees, where they were setting up an ambush, and started shooting at the vehicle, hitting him, but the driver managed to control the vehicle and fled towards Martyr Khalil Suleiman Governmental Hospital in the city.

Doctors in the emergency room described the condition of the wounded, Muhammad Ahmad Musa Halajiya (15 years), as critical. The bullet penetrated the back from the left side, and settled inside, and he was transferred to Al-Najah Hospital in Nablus.

Doctors said the condition of the other injured was slight.

(Source / 31.10.2020)

3 Civilians were shot and dozens were suffocated during the occupation´s suppression of the Beit Dajan march, east of Nablus

Deze afbeelding heeft een leeg alt-atribuut; de bestandsnaam is phpThumb.php

Today, Friday, three civilians were injured by rubber-coated metal bullets, and dozens of people suffocated, during the Israeli occupation forces’ suppression of the march of Beit Dajan village, east of Nablus.

Our correspondent reported that the occupation forces fired live bullets and rubber-coated metal, stun grenades, and tear gas heavily at the marchers, wounding three of them with metal bullets, and dozens of them suffocated.

The occupation forces stormed, in the morning hours, Beit Dajan, to prevent a march called by the People’s Committee for the Defense of the Lands Threatened by Seizure, and the National Action Factions, which will be established on the lands threatened by settlement in the east of the village, where clashes erupted as a result with the citizens, who tried to confront them .

(Source / 31.10.2020)

The outbreak of clashes with the occupation in Kafr Qaddum

Clashes broke out in the village of Kafr Qaddum, east of Qalqilya, with the occupation soldiers, which impeded the start of the weekly march after the end of Friday prayers.

Eyewitnesses confirmed to the Palestinian Press that the occupation forces suppressed the participants in the march and tried to arrest them by setting up ambushes among the olive trees. The soldiers also fired tear gas canisters and rubber, metal and sponge bullets.

It is noteworthy that the weekly march begins on Fridays and Saturdays every week, and has entered its tenth year, demanding the opening of the main entrance to the village.

(Source / 31.10.2020)

8 Deaths and 623 new infections of coronavirus

The Palestinian Ministry of Health announced, Thursday, 8 deaths, 623 new cases of Coronavirus, and 463 patients recovered.

The ministry said that it examined 4,228 samples, noting that the rate of recovery from the Corona virus in Palestine reached 88.4%, while the rate of active infections reached 10.8%, and the death rate was 0.8% of all infections.

She added that 7 deaths were recorded in West Bank (84-year-old citizen from Silat Al-Harithiya in Jenin, 67-year-old citizen from Tulkarm, 75-year-old citizen from the city of Tulkarm, a 50-year-old citizen from Beit Furik, and the other 77-year-old from Al-Fara’a in the Nablus governorate, and a 68-year-old citizen from the city of Ram Allah, an 87-year-old citizen from Hebron), in addition to a 63-year-old citizen from Gaza Strip.

Regarding recovery cases, 467 cases were recorded inWest Bank (Hebron 35, Bethlehem 115, Nablus 63, Tulkarm 50, Qalqilya 16, Jenin 32, Salfit 7), in addition to 145 cases in Gaza Strip.

She added that the new casualties were distributed according to the following: Hebron Governorate (52), Nablus Governorate (79), Bethlehem Governorate (47), Qalqilya Governorate (7), Ramallah and Al-Bireh Governorate (54), Jenin (38), Jericho and Al-Aghwar (26) ), Salfit (15), Tulkarm (18), Tubas (2), Gaza Strip (276), and the suburbs of Jerusalem (9).

The Minister of Health indicated that there are 39 patients in the intensive care rooms, including 6 patients on artificial respirators.

(Source / 31.10.2020)

Clashes break out with the occupation in central Hebron

Deze afbeelding heeft een leeg alt-atribuut; de bestandsnaam is phpThumb.php

Clashes broke out between citizens and the Israeli occupation forces, today, Friday, in the Bab Al-Zawiya area, in the center of Hebron.

And the official news agency reported that the occupation forces stationed at the entrance to Al-Shuhada Street fired stun grenades and tear gas at the citizens, which led to the outbreak of clashes, without injuries reported until this moment.

He added that the occupation soldiers closed all gates leading to the Tomb of the Patriarchs, and prevented citizens from reaching it.

(Source / 31.10.2020)

Israel asks Italy to persuade PA to return to negotiating table

Gabi Ashkenazi during the final stage of Blue and White election campaign in Tel Aviv, Israel, 15 September 2019 [Faiz Abu Rmeleh - Anadolu Agency]
Gabi Ashkenazi during the final stage of Blue and White election campaign in Tel Aviv, Israel, 15 September 2019

Israeli Foreign Minister Gabi Ashkenazi has asked his Italian counterpart Luigi Di Maio to persuade the Palestinian Authority (PA)’s leadership to return to the negotiating table, news agencies reported on Thursday.

“The Abraham Accords are a window of opportunity to renew talks with the Palestinians in order to find a just and lasting solution of peace and mutual respect,” Ashkenazi told Di Maio during a visit to Jerusalem.

“Unfortunately,” he claimed, “the ones who continue to refuse to take advantage of the window of opportunity is the Palestinian Authority leadership.”

The Times of Israel reported Ashkenazi stating that he had asked Di Maio, before visiting Ramallah on Friday, to help persuade PA leadership to return to the negotiating table with Israel.

Meanwhile, Italian news agency ANSA reported Di Maio welcoming the Abraham Accords. “The signing of the Abraham Accords is a positive contribution towards peace and stability in the Middle East,” he affirmed.

Israel: bill to revoke Arab prisoners’ citizenship if they receive PA aid 

Di Maio added: “The gradual rapprochement of the Arab world and Israel will contribute to regional stability and to the recognition of Israel’s right to exist in security. This is one of the cardinal points of our foreign policy in the Middle East.”

He continued: “We hope that the Abraham Accords can give a push to relaunching the peace process with the resumption of direct negotiations between the Israelis and the Palestinians in view of a two-state solution that is just, sustainable and practicable.”

Meanwhile, during Di Maio’s visit to Ramallah, he met with the PA’s Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh and discussed the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Shtayyeh, according to Wafa news agency, called on Di Maio’s country to: “Break the status quo by recognising the Palestinian state in light of the systematic destruction of the two-state solution as a result of Israeli settlement and the decisions of the US administration that violate international law.”

He also confirmed: “This is the right time for the European Union and its members to work to fill the void left by the US administration in the political process by its bias towards Israel.”

Opnion: The world is endorsing Palestine’s disappearance in the name of ‘peace’

(Source / 31.10.2020)

Thousands at Al-Aqsa Mosque protest Macron’s remarks

Palestinians seen during a protest against comments by French President Emmanuel Macron defending cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, held after the Friday Prayer outside the Dome of the Rock in the Al-Aqsa Mosque Compound, in the Old City of Jerusalem, on October 30, 2020 [Mostafa Alkharouf / Anadolu Agency]
Palestinians seen during a protest against comments by French President Emmanuel Macron defending cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, held after the Friday Prayer outside the Dome of the Rock in the Al-Aqsa Mosque Compound, in the Old City of Jerusalem, on October 30, 2020

Thousands of Palestinians gathered on Friday at the Al-Aqsa Mosque complex in Jerusalem to protest French President Emmanuel Macron’s anti-Islamic remarks.

Preacher at Al-Aqsa Mosque Sheikh Ekrima Sabri condemned the republication of caricatures insulting the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), as well as Macron’s statements.

“The French president has declared his hostility towards Muslims around the world,” Sabri announced.

After Friday prayer, thousands of worshippers gathered at the Al-Aqsa complex, holding banners praising the Prophet Muhammad, criticising Macron and calling for a boycott of French products.

Israeli police prevented thousands of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank from reaching Al-Aqsa Mosque, impeding them from performing Friday prayer.

Following the demonstrations, eyewitnesses told Anadolu Agency that Israeli police chased the worshippers and arrested one of them, in addition to a cameraman.

Opinion: The humiliation of Arabs

Earlier this month, Macron described Islam as “a religion in crisis” and announced plans for tougher laws to tackle “Islamist separatism” in France.

French Muslims have accused him of trying to repress their religion and legitimising Islamophobia.

Turkey has also condemned Macron’s attitude towards Muslims and Islam, with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stating that the French leader needed a “mental health check”.

Macron’s attitude towards Islam, the republication of caricatures insulting the Muslim Prophet Muhammad and their projection on the walls of buildings have triggered boycotts of French products in several countries including Qatar, Kuwait, Algeria, Sudan, Palestine and Morocco.

Read: Turkey’s Erdogan calls for boycott of French products

(Source / 31.10.2020)

Three children wounded by Israeli fire near Jalameh checkpoint

Jenin (QNN)- Three children were wounded on the early morning of Friday, including one with critical wounds after Israeli soldiers opened fire at their car near the Jalameh military checkpoint in Jenin.

Local sources said Israeli forces, stationed at the Jalameh military checkpoint, randomly opened fire at the vehicle, wounding Taha Shadi Al Samen (16 years old) with shrapnel in his back, Muhammad Zubeidi (16 years old), and Mahmoud Halaijeh (15 years old) with a bullet in his head.

All children were taken to hospitals in Nablus and Jenin.

After the Israeli attack, Israeli forces raided Jenin and carried out a security sweep in the area.

(Source / 31.10.2020)