Clashes broke out Friday near the northern crossing of Qalqilya with Israeli soldiers firing tear gas and rubber bullets at youths in the area. Witnesses said israeli soldiers chased the youths to the entrance to the zoo and rained them with metal and rubber bullets and gas canisters, causing terror among the parking park.
The Israeli occupation forces prevented citizens from holding Friday prayers on the lands of Haris village in the Salfit governorate, which is threatened with being seized and is subject to repeated attacks by settlers.
The occupation soldiers tightened their military measures in the vicinity of the village and set up several flying checkpoints, after closing its main entrance with an iron gate.
The secretary of the Fatah movement in Salfit, Abd al-Sattar Awad, said that this event will continue in the village of Haris and the town of Bidya, with the participation of all PLO factions and the activities of the governorate, in order to reach the lands of citizens seized by the occupation in favor of settlement, indicating that settlers are taking advantage of the spread of the Corona virus. To continue their terror against our people, by protecting the occupation forces.
For his part, anti-settlement activist Nazmi Al-Salman said that the weekly participation in this event comes to affirm our right to our land, which we will never give up.
It is noteworthy that this event is being held for the sixteenth consecutive week, at the invitation of the PLO factions, the institutions of Salfit Governorate, the Wall and Settlement Resistance Commission, and the Popular Resistance Committees.
Facebook, as well as several Israeli mass media outlets, is the most common media platform used to deliver anti-Palestinian racism and incitement, a specialist report has concluded.
A quantitative report conducted in August by the Arab Centre for Media Freedom, Development and Research (I’LAM) found that Facebook accounted for 30 per cent of the racism and incitement, followed by Israel Hayom with 18 per cent, Maariv with 14 per cent, Yedioth Ahronoth with 12 per cent, ending with Twitter with ten per cent.
Meanwhile, the report revealed: “The targets of racist or incendiary content are changing with local political and security developments,” pointing out that the Palestinian Authority (PA) was the most targeted segment of Palestinian society in August.
After targeting the PA, Israeli media delivered racist messages against the Palestinians through content relating to Israel’s annexation plans and the United Arab Emirates (UAE)-Israel normalisation deal.
During the last week of August, Israel media, I’LAM disclosed, was full of incitement against the Israeli High Court after its decision to evacuate an illegal Jewish settlement built on private Palestinian land, and the decision to prevent the demolition of a Palestinian citizen in Jenin.
The report conveyed that the type of incitement varied between calling for imposing collective punishment, the demonisation of Palestinians and legitimising the use of force against Palestinians, adding that this provocative content portrays Israel as a victim.
Most articles that included incitement and racism usually contained more than one type of provocation.
The Palestinian resistance movements have called for the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) to withdraw its membership from the Arab League after its disavowal to support the Palestinian cause and fight normalisation with Israel, Anadolu Agency reported.
Palestinian factions accused the Arab League of implementing US and Zionist agendas, expressing their rejection to the normalisation and considering it a “treachery” for the Palestinian cause and a “stab in the back” of the Palestinian and Arab sacrifices.
Head of the political department of the Islamic Jihad movement Mohamed Al-Hindi indicated: “The Arab League represents states that gave up Palestine and stood beside Israel. This organisation does not represent the Arab people which are loyal to Palestine.”
In a statement sent to mass media, Hamas asserted: “The Arab League’s discarding of a resolution that condemns normalisation of ties with Israel encourages the US administration and Israeli occupation to continue their projects aiming to liquidate the Palestinian cause.”
Saeb Erekat, secretary of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), attacked Jared Kushner, special advisor to US President Donald Trump, for his recent statements regarding the deal of the century and promising to proceed with its implementation.
Erekat conveyed that many Arab countries objected to the actions of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) at the meeting of foreign affairs ministers, and that Abu Dhabi’s supporters will be known when they participate in the ceremony of the signing of the agreement in Washington.
“Kushner claims that President Trump’s plan was put forward to preserve the two-state principle,” according to Erekat, considering Kushner’s statements as “disregarding humanity”.
He described the plan as: “Adopting Israeli colonial settlement and apartheid, and proposing annexation of 33 per cent of the West Bank and East Jerusalem.” Erekat stressed that the goal of Kushner’s plan was not peace, but rather: “Legitimising settlement, annexation and apartheid.”
Kushner claimed that the US administration’s plan is an attempt to “save the two-state solution” because it prevents Israel from continuing to expand its presence in the West Bank.
He added: “What we did with our plan is that we tried to save the two-state solution because if we continued with the current situation, at the end of the day, Israel would have devoured all the land in the West Bank.”
He explained that, at the present time, there is land that could create a Palestinian state. It is possible to connect them, but the land on which the Israeli settlers reside is land controlled by Israel, and the possibility that they would abandon it are unlikely. He also insisted that any plan that ignores this reality will be doomed to fail. Addressing the Palestinians, Kushner said that the US administration: “Will not run after them. ”
In the same context, Erekat revealed that during the Arab foreign ministers’ conference, some Arab countries condemned what the UAE had done in terms of normalisation with the occupation. He added: “But the rejection of some Arab countries of this clause does not mean that all Arab countries have agreed to what the UAE is doing. We will know that very well when we see who will attend the signing of the UAE-Israeli peace treaty in the White House. ”
Erekat assured that all the terms of the Palestinian project had been adopted in the Arab League, including the rejection of the deal of the century and the adoption of President Mahmoud Abbas’s plan in the Security Council.
It is expected that the final peace agreement will be signed within days at the White House, in the presence of the leaders of the Emirates and Israel.
Erekat emphasised in radio statements that the actions of the UAE were “not a simple thing”, adding: “It is a clear departure from the Arab initiative. The normalisation of the UAE is a strong blow. We cannot deny that Kushner was able to achieve a breakthrough and he is right that this is a change in the Middle East.”
Erekat insisted: “But Kushner is fully aware that the deal of the century, occupation and settlement will end, and the one with which peace must be concluded is the Palestinian people, on the basis of ending the occupation and embodying the independence of the State of Palestine on the 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital, and resolving all final status issues based on international law and international legitimacy. There will be no security, peace nor stability in the region as long as the Israeli occupation continues.”
He continued: “We have been suffering for decades, and we will not compromise our rights, and everyone should remember that the PLO’s acceptance of the principle of the two-state solution on the 1967 borders was a response to the international consensus and international legitimacy.”
Kushner welcomed the Arab League’s abrogation of the decision to condemn normalisation and the agreement that the UAE concluded with Israel.
Kushner added: “The Arab League’s failure to condemn the normalisation agreement between the UAE and Israel is evidence of an important shift in the Middle East,” considering that the patience of the countries supporting the Palestinians: “Has run out and that they are seeking normalisation with Israel in a way that serves their interests. ”
The Palestinian leadership confirmed that the UAE agreement with Israel represented a “stab in the backs” of the Palestinians, describing it as a “hostile and treacherous” agreement.
At the internal level, Erekat expressed: “There is a unified Palestinian position, and President Mahmoud Abbas gave full and clear authorisation to all factions on any outputs of the committees that were formed at the meeting of the general-secretaries of the PLO factions.”
The meeting of the general-secretaries was held between Ramallah and Beirut, during which it was agreed to form a committee in order to develop a plan to end the division and implement national reconciliation, in order to confront the plans that plague the Palestinian cause.
Ismail Haniyeh, head of the political bureau of Hamas, condemned the Arab League’s rejection of the Palestinian draft resolution rejecting the Emirati normalisation agreement with the occupation.
He asserted: “The Arab League’s dropping of the Palestinian draft resolution is in the interest of the Zionist enemy, and normalisation is a blatant assault on the nation and its rights,” warning of the “dangers of normalisation that aims to bring the nation to its knees. “
Machsom Watch, an Israeli rights group, has revealed that the Israeli occupation authorities use three strategies to erase Palestinian religious sites, Al-Quds Al-Araby reported on Friday.
In a lengthy report, the rights group disclosed that many Islamic sites are spread across Israel and the occupied territories, named after prophets and scholars.
The Israeli NGO conveyed that pilgrims used to visit the sites for prayer during the religious holidays or for recovery from illnesses. Sometimes, they visited these places to organise family gatherings.
According to Machsom Watch, since the start of the occupation, Israeli authorities have double standards in dealing with these sites, giving more attention to the sites named after prophets mentioned in the Torah, whether in Israel or the occupied territories.
To erase these sites and their identities, Israeli authorities declare them as part of military zones. The NGO describes these zones as settlements or areas for military training, which Palestinians are prevented from accessing.
The rights group mentioned names of tens of such holy sites, pointing out the Salman Al-Farisi Tomb, which is located on top of Salman Al-Farisi Mountain. This place was given to the Israeli settlement of Yitzhar, which turned it into a nature reserve.
Machsom Watch indicated that extremist Jewish settlers live in this settlement, provoking Palestinians by destroying their trees and preventing them from praying at Salman Al-Farisi Mosque.
Concluding its report, Machsom Watch reported that the settlers who live in this settlement have “criminal tendencies”, once shooting a woman while she was working.
Beirut (QNN)- The Head of Hamas political bureau Ismail Haniyeh said that Egypt is mediating between Hamas and ‘Israel’ to reach a new prisoners’ exchange deal, reported the AA.
During a statement addressing journalists in Beirut on Friday, Haniyeh added that “we welcome Egypt’s role to reach a new [prisoners’] exchange deal and we hope to achieve something in this regard.”
“Our brothers in Egypt are following up on several issues, including the reconciliation, the site, Rafah border crossing, and the prisoners’ exchange”, he added, noting that the relationship between Hamas and Egypt is “strong and stable and Cairo’s role is pivotal in the Palestinian cause.”
Haniyeh did not mention if there is any progress in the prisoners’ exchange issue.
The occupation state, as well as Hamas, had hinted that Hamas has been holding four Israeli soldiers since the latest war on the besieged Gaza strip in 2014.
A delegation from the Egyptian intelligence had left the strip heading to ‘Israeli’ on Friday.
Occupied West Bank (QNN)- The PLO’s National Bureau for Defending Land and Resisting Settlements revealed that the Israeli government started to construct big residential buildings in illegal West Bank settlements in order to settle more settlers in Palestine.
In its weekly report, the bureau said that the occupation state started in the recent weeks to construct 10-story buildings in several West Bank settlements.
The report quoted a statement by the CEO of the Israeli Kadima firm, Gabriel Klugman, confirming that his firm is constructing two modern 10-story buildings in the illegal settlement of Beit El in northern Ramallah.
He added that the Israeli government approved to increase its budget to 11 billion NIS, most of it goes to the occupation army and settlement.
The Israeli minister of war, Benny Gantz, had previously approved the construction of 5000 settlement units in the West Bank.
Occupied Palestine (QNN)- The Israeli army on Saturday arrested a Palestinian young man in Qalqilya and attacked several others in eastern Jenin.
Israeli forces arrested Amjad Othman Far (25 years old) at a new military checkpoint that was set at the entrance to Qalqilya, reported Wafa.
Israeli soldiers also attacked Saddam Sa’di and Kamal Sa’di from the neighborhood of Halima As Sa’diyyah in Jenin. Both young men were attacked and severely beaten before being held. Israeli soldiers stole the motorbikes of the young men.
According to Wafa, the young men were held for over eight hours before being released.
US sanctions on the ICC prosecutor came in response to investigations announced by the court into US war crimes in Afghanistan and Israeli war crimes in West Bank and Gaza Strip
By Asa Winstanley
Last week, US President Donald Trump’s administration announced that it was imposing economic sanctions on the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The decree was announced by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who reported that the US would: “Not tolerate [the ICC’s] illegitimate attempts to subject Americans to its jurisdiction.”
This is the US’ vindictive response to investigations announced by the court into US war crimes in Afghanistan, and Israeli war crimes in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.
These ICC investigations are still at an early stage, but the US has already acted in a most draconian manner in order to evade justice.
It has also acted to protect Israel – one of the world’s worst human rights abusing countries, and a key ally.
The Trump administration’s new move has been described by my colleague Maureen Murphy at The Electronic Intifada as Trump’s nuclear option against the international court.
The ICC was established with the hope that human rights abusers the world over could be held to account in the most concrete terms – not merely condemned, but actually put on trial and jailed for their crimes.
But so far, the court has failed to live up to that lofty ideal. To date, it has prosecuted African nationals only.
As soon as the court was established, the US opted out. As the world’s biggest superpower since at least 1945, the US is the leading perpetrator of war crimes anywhere.
The US’ almost-unending series of imperialist wars for the control and dominance of the globe has been the direct cause of millions of uncounted deaths.
In helping to sustain, fund, train, arm and encourage a racist, violent regime such as Israel, the US empire is also a world order of torture and injustice – much like the British empire was before it.
It is little surprise then, to find that much of the impetus for US sanctions against the ICC is the court’s decision (finally, after long years of prevarication) to prosecute Israel for its war crimes.
With the Zionist regime playing a key ideological role in US world order, successive US administrations have ramped up the county’s levels of support for Israel – especially in the decades since 1967.
Trump is no exception in this regard. He is merely the latest example of the same trend: every successive US president – whether a Democrat or Republican – manages to be more pro-Israeli than the last. Joe Biden, if he manages to win the upcoming election – which is by no means guaranteed –will certainly not buck that trend. He will be even more pro-Israeli than Trump.
When Biden was vice-president, after all, President Barack Obama concluded his final year in office by overseeing a promise to gift a staggering $38 billion in military aid to Israel over the course of the following decade.
The level of US-Israeli fanaticism against the ICC, and the prospect of facing accountability for their violence, is quite staggering.
The director of Mossad’s legal front group Shurat HaDin once called for Israel to literally invade the Hague in retaliation, for attempts by lawyers to bring its military personnel to justice.
Israel should: “Utilise all necessary force to resist any effort to arrest IDF [Israeli military] officers accused of war crimes anywhere in the world. Foreign countries should be made to understand we mean business,” Nitsana Darshan-Leitner wrote in an Israeli paper.
The threat of being made to face up to their crimes in a court of law is a very real one for Israeli officers. They are acutely aware of their peril.
Until European countries began rewriting their universal jurisdiction laws in order to protect Israel, it was not an uncommon event for Israeli war criminals to have to avoid places like London.
British police had been planning to arrest him for a war crimes case, but somehow, the Israeli embassy was tipped off and warned him not to vacate the plane. It still remains unclear who betrayed this confidence.
A judge had decided he had a case to answer over his role in leading the Israeli occupation forces which were enforcing a brutal military regime on the Palestinians of the Gaza Strip, during the early years of the second Intifada.
Almog oversaw the vindictive and systematic destruction by bulldozer of many Palestinian homes there – even crushing people to death in the process, including American solidarity activist Rachel Corrie.
Some years after he had fled Heathrow Airport, it was revealed by reporters that British police had only made the decision not to board the plane because they were afraid they would be shot at by armed Israeli personnel protecting Almog.
It’s long past time for Israeli, US and British impunity to end.