Settlers set Palestinian car on fire

Palestinians inspect the damage done to their cars after settlers set fire to them in the West Bank on 20 December 2019 [Nedal Eshtayah/Anadolu Agency]
Palestinians inspect the damage done to their cars after settlers set fire to them in the West Bank on 20 December 2019

A group of extreme right-wing settlers vandalised the Palestinian village of Asira Al-Qibiliya, based in the south of Nablus city in the occupied West Bank, for the second time within a month in a suspected hate crime, reported Wafa news agency.

Residents of Asira Al-Qibliya found a damaged vehicle that was set on fire and racist slogans calling for the ethnic cleansing of Arabs graffitied on a nearby wall.

Ghassan Daghlas, a Palestinian official in charge of the settlements file in the northern West Bank, told Wafa that a group of Israeli settlers sneaked into the village in middle of the night, torched a vehicle owned by a local citizen, Abdul-Qader Asayrah, and graffitid racists slogans calling for the ethnic cleansing of Arabs.

A wall was also found strewn with the phrase “Jewish blood isn’t cheap” –  a slogan commonly used by right-wing settlers.

Rights group Yesh Din said the car belonged to a family and was set alight while they slept in their home nearby.

Attacks, assaults and acts of vandalism are frequently carried out on Palestinian towns and villages in the Israeli-occupied West Bank both by illegal settlers and soldiers.

READ: Israeli settlers set up outpost near Hebron to expand illegal settlement

According to the Times of Israel, earlier this month, residents of Asira Al-Qibliya reportedly discovered that a tractor located in the quarry between their village and a neighbouring village, Urif, had been set alight, causing heavy damage.

Recent months have seen a surge in racist attacks against Palestinians and their property allegedly by far-right settlers, in so-called price tag attacks, Yesh Din explained.

Asira Al-Qibliya is close to the West Bank settlement of Yitzhar and its surrounding outposts, which are seen as an epicenter of settler violence and have often been linked to attacks on Palestinians and their property.

Despite such violence becoming increasingly common in the West Bank, the Israeli government still refuses to label the Price Tag group as a terrorist organisation, viewing it simply as an organised group of vandals.

(Source / 29.08.2020)

UN: Israel demolishes 25 Palestine structures, displaces 32 people in 2 weeks

A Palestinian family was forced by Israeli authorities to demolish their own home to avoid paying demolition fees in Jerusalem on 2 May 2020 [Alkharouf/Anadolu Agency]
A Palestinian family was forced by Israeli authorities to demolish their own home to avoid paying demolition fees in Jerusalem on 2 May 2020

The Israeli occupation demolished 25 Palestinian structures in occupied territories and displaced 32 Palestinians in two weeks, the United Nations (UN) Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) revealed on Thursday.

The Israeli demolition, according to OCHA, was carried out under the pretext of lacking building permits.

“Fifteen of these structures, all but two of which were livelihood-related, were demolished in eight communities in Area C of the West Bank, which is under full Israeli military control,” OCHA confirmed.

“Two of them in the communities of Mughayyir Al-Abeed and Al-Fakheit, both in southern West Bank district of Hebron,” disclosed OCHA, stating that the Israeli occupation demolished them because they were close to an Israeli military training zone.

READ: Israel soldiers orders Palestinian families to demolish their home

The bi-weekly OCHA report, a copy of which was sent to MEMO, also communicated: “Six livelihood structures were demolished in one incident in Area C Al-Isawiya neighbourhood of occupied East Jerusalem.”

It pointed out that: “Five of the structures in East Jerusalem were demolished by their owners, who were forced to do so to avoid heavy fines.”

The latest demolitions in occupied East Jerusalem brought the total number of Palestinian structures destroyed this year to 118: “Half of them were carried out by the owners,” reported OCHA.

READ: Israel’s destruction protested in East Jerusalem

(Source / 29.08.2020)

Israeli rights group calls on Israel to stop punishing measures against Gaza

A group of volunteer youth carry out disinfection work during the coronavirus pandemic in Gaza on 29 March 2020 [Mustafa Hassona/Anadolu Agency]
A group of volunteer youth carry out disinfection work during the coronavirus pandemic in Gaza on 29 March 2020

An Israeli rights group on Thursday called for Israeli occupation authorities to immediately stop the punishing measures against the besieged Gaza Strip and to allow the entry of fuel, commodities and essential equipment needed to fight COVID-19.

The Legal Centre for Freedom of Movement (Gisha) confirmed that the authorities in Gaza: “Have extended the general lockdown in the strip by 72 hours, ending Sunday. Movement between Gaza’s districts is forbidden.”

Amidst the difficult situation, Gisha announced: “Only medical facilities and essential services, such as bakeries and water distribution centres, are open. Schools, businesses, mosques and public institutions are all shut. Residents have been instructed to wear masks when leaving their homes to shop for essentials. Kerem Shalom Crossing has been [partially] reopened.”

Gisha stated that Israel continues its unjustified punishment against Gaza. “At this time of great alarm and uncertainty, Israel continues to block entry of fuel into Gaza, including the power plant, which has been shut down since 18 August,” the rights group disclosed.

Red Cross: Gaza will not be able to deal with coronavirus pandemic

It reiterated that the lack of electricity: “Jeopardises hospitals, quarantine centres, waste disposal and water desalination and distribution services, and basic household tasks, including refrigeration of goods, at a time when residents are forced to stay in their homes.”

Meanwhile, the group explained: “Israel is also continuing to enforce a full maritime closure, in effect since 16 August, harming an important source of food and income in Gaza. Since 11 August, it has also barred entry of construction materials.”

Concluding its statement, the Israeli rights group urged: “Israel must immediately reverse its measures of collective punishment and allow access to fuel, essential goods and all that is needed to protect food security for Gaza’s residents, and enable economic activity to the greatest possible extent at this time.”

(Source / 29.08.2020)

Renewed Israeli Aggression in the Besieged Gaza Strip

The Israeli air force launched, Friday morning, two rounds of airstrikes on different areas of the besieged Gaza Strip, according to local sources.

Sources told the Palestinian Information Center’s reporter that Israeli warplanes and tanks bombed mainly agricultural lands and resistance posts, in Gaza City in the central Strip, and Rafah city in the south.

Israeli jet unleashed new air raids on more targets near Gaza City, causing partial damages, but no human casualties were reported.

PIC further stated that Palestinian resistance groups responded to the Israeli aggression, by firing crude rockets towards Israeli settlements, along border with the Gaza Strip.

Palestinian WAFA News Agency correspondent stated that Israeli jets fired 3 missiles that destroyed an outpost, west of Gaza City.

Meanwhile, Israeli tanks stationed along the Israeli perimeter fence, fired three artillery shells, at an agricultural land east of Gaza City, a short time later three missiles were fired, causing significant damage to civilian property.

Two missiles were fired at a location west of Nusseirat refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip, destroying it and damaging Palestinian civilian property.

(Source / 29.08.2020)

Israeli Forces Destroy Palestinian Bedouin Village in the Negev Desert

The Israeli authorities, on Thursday, demolished tents and makeshift homes in the Palestinian Bedouin village of al-Araqeeb in the Negev desert in Israel, for the 177th consecutive time the Palestinian WAFA News Agency reported.

Local sources said that Israeli bulldozers, escorted by Israeli police forces stormed the village and leveled all the tents and makeshift homes, displacing the residents.

Israeli authorities consider the Palestinian Bedouin village to be illegal, refusing to recognize them as Palestinian communities, arguing that they cannot prove their ownership of the lands.

Article 17 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights states;

(1) Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
(2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1232546897085480&extid=fdsGHpvU8D2Becrh

(Source / 29.08.2020)

Israeli Bulldozers Demolish Bakery in West Bank, Level Lands in Gaza

The Israeli army, Thursday morning, demolished a Palestinian-owned under construction bakery, and delivered a demolition notice to a carpenter shop in Arraba town, near Jenin, under the pretext of unlicensed construction, the Palestinian Information Center reported.

Local sources said that an Israeli bulldozer, accompanied by soldiers, demolished the under construction bakery, owned by local, Mustafa Hammadan.

The Israeli army also delivered a demolition notice to another local citizen, announcing the occupation authorities intent to demolish his carpenter shop.

In the besieged Gaza Strip, Israeli military bulldozers, Thursday morning, executed a limited incursion into the southeastern border area of the coastal territory.

According to a reporter for the Palestinian Information Center (PIC), five armored bulldozers advanced from behind the security fence, into a border area to the east of Rafah, in the southern Strip, and proceeded to dig and level large areas of Palestinian-owned land.

Two Merkava tanks were stationed on mounds of dirt behind the border fence, to provide protection for the bulldozers.

(Source / 29.08.2020)

Israeli Court Annexes 525 Dunams of Land, Settlers Set up New Outpost

The Israeli army, on Wednesday, delivered demolition orders against 3 Palestinian-owned homes and stop-work orders against 6 others in Nahalin town, west of Bethlehem, in the southern occupied West Bank, the Palestinian Information Center reported.

Nahalin mayor, Subhi Zaidan, said the Israeli army notified 3 locals of its plan to demolish their homes and 2 received demolition notices against their retaining walls.

The army also handed stop-work orders to the owners of six under construction homes.

The Israeli authorities annexed 525 dunams (130 acres) of Palestinian-owned lands in Nahalin town, registering it as property of the Jewish National Fund.

Israeli occupation courts rejected all documents filed by Palestinian locals proving their ownership of the annexed area. The land will be utilized for the expansion of the Gush Etzion settlements south of Bethlehem.

Illegal Israeli settlers, Thursday, set up a new illegal outpost on land belonging to the village of Obwein, north of Ramallah, in the central West Bank, according to a local official.

Mayor of Obwein, Naji Hamad, told Palestinian WAFA News Agency that Israeli settlers set up 4 caravans on privately-owned Palestinian land between Obwein, Jaljilia, and Sinjil villages.

Hamad noted that the land belongs to the local Palestinian residents, who can produce official deeds proving ownership.

(Source / 29.08.2020)

Israeli Forces Prepare to Demolish Home of Palestinian Prisoner

On Thursday morning, Israeli forces invaded the village of Rojib, east of Nablus in the northern part of the West Bank, and took measurements of the home of Palestinian prisoner Khalil Dweikat in order to demolish the home.

According to the Palestinian News Agency Wafa, the soldiers also interrogated Dweikat’s family members, including his brother, his wife, and his six children.

Dweikat was abducted Wednesday and accused of killing an Israeli man in the Israeli town of Petah Tikva. His family has had no contact since he was abducted, and do not know his whereabouts.

Israeli forces frequently demolish the homes of Palestinians accused of crimes, as a form of collective punishment against the families of the accused. Such collective punishment is a violation of international human rights law and the Fourth Geneva Convention.

The crime that Dweikat is accused of is the stabbing of Shai Ohayon, 39, on Wednesday. The Israeli man died of multiple stab wounds after a stabbing attack that was allegedly carried out by a Palestinian worker in Petah Tikva, in central Israel.

Victim: Shai Ohayon, 39

Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu announced to the nation that his government, “will work to demolish the terrorist’s house and carry out the most severe punishment.”

(Source / 29.08.2020)

Israeli rights group calls on Israel to stop punishing measures against Gaza

Israeli NGO: Israeli occupation continues its crimes against Gaza Strip amidst outbreak of covid-19

An Israeli rights group called for Israel to immediately stop punishing measures against besieged Gaza Strip and to allow entry of fuel and essential equipment needed to fight COVID-19.

The Legal Centre for Freedom of Movement (Gisha) confirmed that the authorities in Gaza: “Have extended the general lockdown in the strip by 72 hours, ending Sunday. Movement between Gaza’s districts is forbidden.”

Amidst the difficult situation, Gisha announced: “Only medical facilities and essential services, such as bakeries and water distribution centres, are open. Schools, businesses, mosques and public institutions are all shut.

“Residents have been instructed to wear masks when leaving their homes to shop for essentials. Kerem Shalom Crossing has been [partially] reopened.”

Gisha stated that Israel continues its unjustified punishment against Gaza. “At this time of great alarm and uncertainty, Israel continues to block entry of fuel into Gaza, including the power plant, which has been shut down since 18 August,” the rights group disclosed.

It reiterated that the lack of electricity: “Jeopardises hospitals, quarantine centres, waste disposal and water desalination and distribution services, and basic household tasks, including refrigeration of goods, at a time when residents are forced to stay in their homes.”

Meanwhile, the group explained: “Israel is also continuing to enforce a full maritime closure, in effect since 16 August, harming an important source of food and income in Gaza. Since 11 August, it has also barred entry of construction materials.”

Concluding its statement, the Israeli rights group urged: “Israel must immediately reverse its measures of collective punishment and allow access to fuel, essential goods and all that is needed to protect food security for Gaza’s residents, and enable economic activity to the greatest possible extent at this time.”

(Source / 29.08.2020)

UN: Israel killed 2 Palestinians, including child in 2 weeks

These two deaths brought to 19 the number of Palestinians killed by Israeli occupation in West Bank since the beginning of 2020

Israeli occupation forces killed two Palestinians, including child and wounded 84 others during the past two weeks in occupied Palestinian West Bank, UN report has said.

On 17 August, Israeli occupation forces shot and killed a 30-year-old Palestinian at one of the gates leading to Al Aqsa Mosque in the Old City of Jerusalem.

Following the incident, Israeli forces restricted movement inside the Old City and prevented Palestinian medical sources from offering first aid to the Palestinian before he was pronounced dead.

A Palestinian woman bystander was injured in the same Israeli aggression, but sustained light wounds.

In a separate incident in Deir abu Mash’al of Ramallah, the UN report said, a 16-year-old Palestinian child was killed by the Israeli occupation forces on 19 August, and two other children were injured.

The UN reported eyewitnesses saying that there were no clashes or burning of tires in the area where and when the boy was shot dead.

“Both bodies are still withheld by the Israeli occupation forces,” the UN report said, stating that the two deaths brought to 19 the number of Palestinians killed in the West Bank since the beginning of the year.

According to the report, 81 Palestinians were shot and wounded during the same period as they were protesting against the UAE-Israeli normalisation deal.

(Source / 29.08.2020)