A number of paediatricians in the Palestine Medical Complex in Ramallah yesterday submitted their resignation en masse after they were offended by the Palestinian Authority (PA)’s Health Minister Mai Keela, Al Watan Voice reported.
The paediatricians reiterated that they were offended by the minister’s claims that there is mismanagement in the children’s department in the complex without providing any evidence.
According to the doctors, the department was recognised four years ago by the specialisation programme which is part of the Palestinian Medical Council.
They said that dozens of well-qualified paediatricians graduated from this department, which receives many critical cases and helped reduce medical transfers outside the ministry’s hospitals.
In their resignation letter, the doctors said that the only problem in the department is the lack of sufficient facilities for premature babies, stressing this is the responsibility of the ministry.
Bernie Sanders joins Jewish activists in opposing the occupation on 1 July 2019
US Vice President Mike Pence has claimed that US presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders is siding with Israel’s enemies as a result of his support for Palestinian rights.
At a speech at controversial American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) conference, Pence claimed that US President Donald Trump should remain in the White House because of his pro-Israel stance.
He said: “In the days ahead, we must ensure the most pro-Israel president in history must not be replaced by one who would be the most anti-Israel president in the history of this nation. That’s why we need four more years of President Trump in the White House.”
Pence, who is an Evangelical Christian and staunch Israel supporter, then went on to falsely claim that Sanders supported the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel and had “slandered” AIPAC conference after he refused to attend, saying it was a platform for leaders who “express bigotry”.
Pence said: “Those who side with Israel’s enemies must never be allowed to call themselves friends of Israel. It is wrong to boycott and slander Israel. It is wrong to boycott and slander AIPAC.”
He went on to equate anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism.
Sanders has expressed support for Palestinian rights during the Democratic primary debates, but has not said he backs BDS.
In a tweet on Sunday he reiterated his reasons for skipping the AIPAC conference.
Sanders said: “The Israeli people have the right to live in peace and security. So do the Palestinian people. I remain concerned about the platform AIPAC provides for leaders who express bigotry and oppose basic Palestinian rights. For that reason I will not attend their conference.”
Bernie Sanders ✔@BernieSanders
The Israeli people have the right to live in peace and security. So do the Palestinian people. I remain concerned about the platform AIPAC provides for leaders who express bigotry and oppose basic Palestinian rights. For that reason I will not attend their conference. 1/2104K23:34 – 23 Feb 2020Twitter Ads information and privacy
Sanders himself volunteered at a kibbutz in northern Israel in 1963 for several months, and lost his father’s side of the family in the holocaust.
He has previously said that the centuries long history of suffering endured by the Jewish people was one of the reasons he supports the rights of Palestinians.
Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh press conference in Gaza, on 10 November 2019
Head of Hamas’ Political Bureau Ismail Haniyeh arrived in the Russian capital Moscow on Sunday along with a delegation of senior officials from the movement and met with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and other senior officials, the Palestinian group said in a statement yesterday.
During the meeting, Lavrov welcomed Hamas to Russia and highlighted its importance at “this critical time”.
Lavrov reiterated that Russia rejects the US “peace plan” for the Middle East and does not think it is a plan that achieves peace and security in the region.
Lavrov reiterated the importance of Palestinian unity and pointed out that Russia is ready to help Palestinians unite in order to stand strong against the “deal of the century”.
He hailed Hamas and its coordination and consultation with Moscow on different issues.
Meanwhile, Haniyeh thanked Russia for supporting Palestinian rights at different regional and international platforms.
He also expressed his appreciation for Russia over its position towards the “deal of the century”.
Haniyeh told Lavrov that he had phoned the Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and told him he is ready for Palestinian unity, and ready to meet Abbas along with the other Palestinian factions under the auspices of Russia, Egypt or both.
He expressed Hamas’ interest in developing strong relations with Russia in order to support Palestinian rights and achieve stability in the region.
Both sides discussed the humanitarian aid that Russia can provide to the Palestinian people in Gaza or in the refugee camps in the diaspora.
Settlers spray racist graffiti on Palestinian homes in West Bank on 3 May 2019
Palestinian Authority (PA) said yesterday that the US’ so called “deal of the century” led to illegal Israeli settlers increasing their “terror” and incited against Palestinians and encouraged them to “steal” more Palestinian land.
In a statement issued by the PA’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates, the government condemned settler “terror”, blaming the Israeli government and the Trump administration for it.
The PA warned of “campaigns by settlers aiming to seize Palestinian lands south and south-west of Nablus and create a huge settlement there which will separate the north of the West Bank from its middle and the south.”
These actions, the statement said, damage the farms of the Palestinians and destroy their property, noting that all of this is being carried out under the Israeli and American political protection “and this is covered by the terms of the deal of the century”.
Israeli occupation forces abducted nine Palestinian citizens from the West Bank, including two teen boys, on Tuesday night. This was accompanied by searches and vandalism of homes, attacks on citizens, and the issuing of summonses to a number of Palestinians.
The Palestinian News Agency Wafe said that two citizens were abducted from Tulkarem, namely: Youssef Muhammad Zaqout (40 years), and Basil Essam Eid (20 years) from the town of Iktaba, where they were later released.
In addition, two boys were abducted from Ain Al-Sultan camp in Jericho, identified as: Raed Saed Ibrahim (15 years old), and Amir Marwan Khamis (16 years old) .
From the town of Al-Issawiya in Jerusalem, the occupation forces arrested Muhammad Esmat Ubaid, Muhammad Ayman Ubaid and Ali Muhammad Ubaid, and summoned another citizen .
To the detainees are added Jihad Ali Al-Sheikh from Aida camp in Bethlehem, and Majdi Abu Aker, who was later released.
It is worth noting that the occupation forces abducted yesterday Jawdat Abu Asnina, the father of the two captives, Malik and Anas, after he was severely beaten, and was wounded before he was arrested, and other citizens of Jerusalem were also arrested.
On Monday, 226 Israeli Settlers stormed the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque while accompanied by a squadron of Israeli police. In 2016, protests erupted at the embattled area after Israeli sSettlers invaded the compound during the last 10 days of Islam’s holy month of Ramadan, in contravention of tradition.
The Islamic Endowments Department in Jerusalem reported that the intruders wandered brazenly in the courtyards of the mosque.
The Settlers entered the area through the Mughrabi Gate and made their way to the courtyard of the chapel of Mercy.
They wandered the al-Aqsa Mosque courtyards, attended presentations on what they cal the “Temple Mount” and then left the site through al-Silsila Gate.
Meanwhile, Israeli police forces imposed tight restrictions on the Palestinian worshipers entering the site and ordered many of them to stay outside. This not an isolated incident.
On February 23rd, Israeli police had killed a young Palestinian man in the grounds of al-Aqsa.
The Israeli army imposed a comprehensive closure on the West Bank and Gaza due to the Israeli elections on Monday.
The closure was imposed from midnight on Sunday until early Tuesday morning, due to the Israelis going to the polls for the Presidential and “Knesset” elections.
The Israeli army said in a statement that “according to an assessment of the security situation and instructions at the political level, a comprehensive closure will be imposed on the Judea and Samaria area [the current Israeli government’s name for the West Bank, based on a biblical translation that they say justifies their claim to control the Palestinian land] and the crossings in the Gaza Strip will be closed, starting from 2 March 2020 at midnight.”
The army statement added that “the opening of the crossings and the lifting of the closure will be carried out on Tuesday, 3 March 2020, according to an assessment of the situation and normal working hours.”
The army stated that “during the closure, only exceptional humanitarian and medical cases will be allowed to cross, after the approval of the government’s coordinator in the occupied territories.”
Gaza (QNN)- Several Israeli vehicles on Tuesday intruded into the Gaza strip in eastern Rafah.
Local sources said that five bulldozers entered through Mutebeq military entry, intruding into 50 meters of eastern Rafah.
The vehicles started putting barbed wires in the area, taking over more land of the strip.
Israeli soldiers fired tear gas canisters at farmers in Sreij in eastern Khan Yunis. Meanwhile, Israeli gunboats opened fire at fishing boats off the coast of Beit Lahya in northern Gaza, no casualties were reported.
Nablus (QNN)- Israeli forces on the morning of Tuesday brutally attacked local Palestinians during Israeli leveling operations of agricultural lands in the village of Qusra in southern Nablus.
The head of the village council, Abdel Azim Wadi, said that Israeli heavy vehicles and troops of the Israeli army stormed the village this morning and started a large-scale leveling operation in Mount Najma.
He told QNN that the Israeli army has been holding nearly 100 locals in two groups. They also attacked two young men and beat them with rifles.
He added that medical teams took both young men, who were identified as Mahmoud Owdeh and Thaer Hasan, to one of Nablus’ hospitals while the Israelis continued to level the lands.
Israeli soldiers intensively fired tear gas and rubber-coated metal bullets at the locals, causing injuries. Meanwhile, locals from the village and other neighboring villages continue to flock into the area in solidarity with the owners of the lands.
The occupation state, according to Wadi, plans to construct a park for illegal settlers on the leveled agricultural lands, which are estimated to 70 dunums.