Head of Reporters Without Borders says Israel shot journalists intentionally

Palestinian journalist and Palestinian protesters gather during clashes with Israeli troops following a protest against the United States decision to stop funding and backing the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) at the Erez crossing with Israel in the northern Gaza Strip on 4 September, 2018 [Dawoud Abo Alkas/Apaimages]

Israeli forces attack Palestinian journalists and protesters in the Gaza Strip on 4 September 2018

The director-general of Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said yesterday that the Israeli army had deliberately targeted journalists in the occupied Gaza Strip.

Christophe Deloire was speaking to the Jerusalem Post, having received the Dan David Prize in Tel Aviv on behalf of the international press freedoms watchdog.

“It is a war crime to target journalists because they are journalists,” Deloire told the paper. “When Israel shot those journalists [during the Great Return March protests], it was intentional.”

“The journalists could be clearly identified as journalists, with cameras and jackets and it could not be just by chance,” he added.

Referring to the United Nations’ Commission of Inquiry into the Gaza protests, Deloire pointed out that the report “confirmed what we already considered a fact”.

READ: 19 Palestinian journalists are still imprisoned by Israel

According to the Jerusalem Post, last week RSF formally asked the International Criminal Court (ICC) to investigate suspected war crimes by the Israeli military against Palestinian journalists covering protests in Gaza since 30 March 2018.

Palestinian Journalists Arrested by Israel - Cartoon [Sarwar Ahmed/MiddleEastMonitor]

At the time, Deloire stated that “the Israeli authorities could not have been unaware of the presence of journalists among the civilian demonstrators, and therefore failed in the elementary duty of precaution and differentiation when targeting these protected persons with live rounds.”

“These deliberate and repeated violations of international humanitarian law constitute war crimes,” the statement continued.

The RSF chief also had a warning for Israelis about deteriorating press freedoms at home.

“I am sure it does not happen in many countries that you have billboards with faces of journalists mentioning that they will not decide,” Deloire told the paper, a reference to Likud election posters.

Deloire also criticised the prohibition on Israeli journalists entering the Gaza Strip, and added: “There is freedom in Israel… but editorial independence is not guaranteed.”

Israel’s war against press freedom: The plight of Palestinian journalists

(Source / 21.05.2019) 

Israel blocked access roads to 4 Palestinian villages in March-April

Israeli security forces block the road and take security measures after an armed assault at Barkan industrial zone near Ariel Israeli settlement located in Salfit, West Bank on October 7, 2018 [Issam Rimawi / Anadolu Agency]

Israeli security forces block the road and take security measures in the West Bank on 7 October 2018

Israeli occupation forces blocked access roads to four Palestinian villages in the West Bank over the course of March and April, human rights organisation B’Tselem reported yesterday.

According to the NGO, the army closed gates it had placed at the entrances to the villages for periods of between five and 20 days at a time.

The affected communities were ‘Azzun, east of Qalqiliya, Kifl Hares, northwest of Salfit, Deir Istiya, east of Salfit and Tuqu’, southeast of Bethlehem.

The measures were taken, the army claimed, following various allegations that Palestinian residents from the villages had “thrown stones or Molotov cocktails” at settler vehicles on local roads.

READ: Two Palestinian children killed in blaze after Israel blocks fire brigade

In response – and in what B’Tselem described as a “a routine method of oppression” – the army “punishes the entire population of that and nearby villages by closing the gates it had installed at their entrances over the years”.

B’Tselem added that

even when open, the very fact that the gates are there serves as a constant reminder that Palestinians’ freedom of movement is entirely subject to arbitrary Israeli decisions made in complete disregard for the needs of the residents.

As documented by the organisation, “the road closures severely disrupt residents’ lives, undercuts their ability to make a living, get to school, farm their land, receive medical treatment, or simply maintain a reasonable routine.”

Such policies constitute prohibited “collective punishment”, B’Tselem stated, “forcing residents to live in a state of uncertainty, causing frustration, wasting precious time, and depriving thousands of Palestinians of their freedom of movement.”

“The road closures constitute arbitrary abuse of power by the military. There is absolutely no moral or legal justification for inflicting this harm.”

READ: Israel blocks road to 20 Palestinian villages for over a month

(Source / 21.05.2019) 

Israel evicts Palestinians worshippers from Al-Aqsa

The Dome of the Rock is viewed at the Al-Aqsa mosque compound in the Old City on 27 November 2014 in Jerusalem [Spencer Platt/Getty Images]

The Dome of the Rock is viewed at the Al-Aqsa mosque compound in the Old City on 27 November 2014 in Jerusalem 

Israeli occupation forces stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in the Old City of Jerusalem early on Monday and evicted dozens of Muslim worshippers.

Eyewitnesses told Ma’an that heavily armed Israeli forces and police stormed the compound following the end of the Tarawih night prayers and forced dozens of worshippers who have remained in Al-Aqsa out of the compound.

Sources added that this is the fourth time that Israeli police have stormed the compound and forced worshippers out during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Settler incursions at Al-Aqsa have increased during Ramadan with almost daily raids.

READ: Awqaf warns of increasing settlers attacks on Al-Aqsa Mosque

(Source / 21.05.2019) 

Daar waar echte geluk is

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم 

Dit leven heeft Allah geschapen als beproeving. Wie dit nog niet doorheeft en denkt dat er voortdurende geluk bestaat, heeft niks begrepen van dit wereldse leven.

Ben je de ene dag gelukkig, is er de volgende dag wel weer iets dat dit geluk dwarsboomt.

Ben je zelf gelukkig, dan is er altijd wel iemand van je dierbaren die minder gelukkig is vanwege ziekte en ander tegenspoed waardoor jij weer minder gelukkig bent.

Ben je gelukkig, dan is er altijd wel iemand die hier jaloers op is en jou dit geluk niet gunt. 

Het echte geluk dat daadwerkelijk geluk te noemen is en wat blijvend is en door niets wordt beïnvloed, is het geluk in het paradijs beste broeders en zusters. Dat is een geluk wat enkel toeneemt!

Dat geluk doet je al het ongeluk van het wereldse leven in één keer vergeten. De profeet vrede zij met hem zei (betekenis):

Op de dag des oordeels wordt een persoon naar voren gehaald die het meeste ellende van alle mensen op aarde heeft meegemaakt. Hij wordt dan in het paradijs gedompeld en gevraagd: ‘Heb je ooit een moeilijke tijd meegemaakt?’

Zijn antwoord: ‘Nee, mijn Heer. Ik heb nog nooit een moeilijke tijd meegemaakt!’

Streef naar dit geluk beste broeders en zusters door altijd bezig te zijn met datgene waar de Schenker van geluk, Allah, van houdt en tevreden mee is. Alleen Hij kan je met dit eeuwig geluk eren.

Moge Allah ons allen het eeuwige geluk in het paradijs schenken.

(Kennisviamail.nl / 21.05.2019) 

Israeli Soldiers Invade Beit Forik

21 MAY3:01 AM

Israeli soldiers invaded, on Monday at night, Beit Forik town, east of the northern West Bank city of Nablus.

Media sources said several army jeeps invaded the town, especially its center, and drove around its streets and alleys.

They added that many Palestinians protested the invasion, and hurled stones at the military vehicles, while the soldiers fired gas bombs, concussion grenades and flares, causing a fire in a land in the western part of Beit Forik.

Furthermore, the soldiers closed the military roadblock at the entrance of the town, and prevented the Palestinians from crossing.

(Source / 21.05.2019) 

Palestinian Dies From Wounds Suffered In April Of 2018

21 MAY1:28 PM

A young Palestinian man died, on Tuesday morning, from complications resulting to wounds he suffered in April of the year 2018, after Israeli soldiers shot him during the Great Return March processions in the Gaza Strip.

His family said their son, Mohammad Abdul-Jawad Zo’rob, 30, from Rafah in the southern part of the Gaza Strip, was shot by Israeli army fire on April 27th, 2018.

They added that he suffered various complications since then, and developed tumors that eventually led to his death, especially amidst the lack of medical supplies in the besieged and impoverished Gaza Strip.

He was shot with an expanding bullet, and underwent several surgeries, but also suffered several infections in the wound area, leading to cancer.

Israeli soldiers have killed 307 Palestinians, including medics and journalists, and injured more than 29000, since the Great Return March procession started in the Gaza Strip, on Palestinian land Day, March 30th, 2018.

(Source / 21.05.2019)                                                       

Amnesty Urges Action against Israeli Firm behind WhatsApp Breach

21 MAY7:42 PM

Amnesty International says that the Israeli firm behind a recent security breach, which targeted human rights activists using the WhatsApp messenger app, must be held into account for its close ties with repressive regimes.

In a statement, Amnesty urged the Israeli regime to revoke export licenses of the notorious Israeli IT firm NSO, which designed the spyware linked to the WhatsApp breach.

The London-based rights group told Reuters that the company’s deeds “resulted in human rights abuses.”

PNN reports that WhatsApp, a unit of Facebook, admitted that hackers had managed to use the security breach on its messaging app to target human rights activists.

Eva Galperin, director of cybersecurity at San Francisco-based Electronic Frontier Foundation, said WhatsApp had informed human rights groups that the spyware was likely developed by Israel’s NSO. This was also confirmed by another person familiar with the matter.

In an emailed statement to Reuters, Amnesty asserted that NSO has “again and again demonstrated their intent to avoid responsibility for the way their software is used.”

It said only the Israeli regime at its highest ranks could intervene and stop the company.

NSO said, after the WhatsApp breach, that it would investigate any “credible allegations of misuse” of its technology which “is solely operated by intelligence and law enforcement agencies.”

WhatsApp, one of the world’s most popular messaging tools which is used by 1.5 billion people monthly, said it had fixed the exploit in its latest update and asked the US Department of Justice to help with an investigation into the breach.

(Source / 21.05.2019) 

Israel to Raze Playground in Rakhma Village

21 MAY8:27 PM

Israeli authorities have issued a demolition order against a crude playground, used by local children in the Bedouin village of al-Rakhma, in the Negev.

The village is one of the Palestinian Bedouin communities in the Negev that are not recognized by Israel.

Lawyer Talab Abu Arar denounced the Israeli decision to demolish the playground as persistence in the violation human rights and the rights of children.

Abu Arar, a former Knesset member, pointed out that the Israeli authorities reneged on a pledge to build a school in the village.

“The village of Rakhma is targeted by the extremist pro-setter Regavim society and the Bedouin areas development authority,” he said.

“Minister Ariel also denied the intention to recognize the village, although the district planning and building committee agreed to recognize it,”  the former MK added.

“There is no doubt that the Negev people are living in a very dangerous stage, especially in light of the presence of an extremist right-wing government that has many displacement plans,” he said.

(Source / 21.05.2019)