Sick Palestinian subjected to renewed sentence in Israeli jail

Renewed sentence

The Israeli occupation authorities on Monday renewed the administrative sentence of prisoner Naser Abu Khdeir for another six-month term, four days before the end of his 16-month sentence.

Abu Khdeir was slated to be released on Thursday from the Ramon desert jail. However, the Israeli prison authorities arbitrarily renewed his administration term, issued with neither charge nor trial.

Abu Khdeir had been arrested on 11 occasions by the Israeli occupation forces and spent a total of 16 years in Israeli dungeons.

(Source / 20.08.2018)

Israeli forces tear down tent, assault Palestinians in al-Khalil

Tent in Masafer Yatta

Israeli forces and settlers removed on Monday a tent in Masafer Yatta, south of the southern occupied West Bank city of al-Khalil, and assaulted Palestinian locals.

According to Rateb Jabour, coordinator of the Popular Anti-Settlement Committee in south of al-Khalil, said that Israeli soldiers along with settlers raided an area in Masafer Yatta where Yousef Abu Arram had set up a tent to shelter his family.

The Israelis destroyed the tent and seized construction material and wood.

Jabour added that the settlers attempted to seize a residential room owned by Arram.

Israeli soldiers also assaulted Basem Abu Arram, who tried to stop them, causing him injuries and bruises all over his body.

(Source / 20.08.2018)

Israel renews administrative detention of 9 prisoners

Renew adm detention 9

The Israeli Occupation Authorities (IOA) extended the administrative detention of nine Palestinian prisoners including the leader in the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) Nasser Abu Khudeir.

Family sources told PIC reporter that Abu Khudeir was scheduled to be released next Thursday as he completed his 16-month prison term before Israeli authorities renewed his administrative detention.

Abu Khudeir, who suffers many health problems including asthma and sharp back pains, was arrested more than 11 times by Israeli forces where he spent nearly 16 years behind bars.

Israel’s widely condemned policy of administrative detention allows detention of Palestinians without charge or trial for renewable intervals usually ranging between three and six months based on undisclosed evidence that even a detainee’s lawyer is barred from viewing.

(Source / 20.08.2018)

PPS: “Israeli Soldiers Abduct 14 Palestinians In The West Bank”

20 AUG
2:40 PM

The Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) has reported that Israeli soldiers abducted, on Monday at dawn, fourteen Palestinians, including a former political prisoner who was imprisoned for 15 years, in several parts of the occupied West Bank.

The PPS office in Nablus, in northern West Bank, said the soldiers invaded the al-Ein neighborhood and Younis Street, on the western entrances of the city, searched homes and abducted Wafa Damouni, a former political prisoner, who was detained for 15 years.

It is worth mentioning that Wafa is the nephew of Jamail Salim Damouni, who was assassinated by Israeli soldiers in 2001.

In related news, the soldiers invaded the home of Osama Herzallah, in Nablus, and injured two young men with rubber-coated bullets during protests against the invasion.

Furthermore, the soldiers abducted Zakariya al-Bakri and Abdullah Najeeb, from their homes in the Old City of Nablus.

In Jenin, in northern West Bank, the soldiers invaded Sielet ath-Thaher town, south of the city, searched homes and abducted Ahmad Hasan Hantouli and Nidal Mohammad Hantouli.

In Ramallah, in central West Bank, the soldiers abducted Mohammad Hasan Oleyyan, from his home in the al-Jalazoun refugee camp, after invading it along with many other homes owned by members of Oleyyan, Makhlouf and Awwad families.

The soldiers fired several rubber-coated steel bullets, gas bombs and concussion grenades at local protesters during the invasion.

They also searched homes in the al-Mughayyir village, northeast of Ramallah, causing property damage.

In addition, the soldiers invaded the home of Aahed Alqam in Shu’fat refugee camp, north of occupied East Jerusalem, and abducted his sons Othman and Mahmoud, in addition to Yazan Arar, who was also taken prisoner from his home.

In Bethlehem, the soldiers abducted Ibrahim Hasan Salah, 22, from his home in the al-Khader town, south of Bethlehem, in addition to Mahmoud Salem Atallah, from Harmala village, east of the city.

(Source / 20.08.2018)

Detainee Receives An Administrative Detention Order For 6 Months After Serving A 16-Month Prison Term

20 AUG
3:02 AM

On Sunday, the Israeli Authorities informed detainee Nasser Abu Khdeir, from Shu’fat town, in occupied East Jerusalem, that he will be held under Administrative Detention for six months, instead of being released this coming Thursday, after finishing a 16-month prison sentence.

The detainee suffers from a number of chronic diseases, which are largely untreated, while his family called on legal and human rights groups to intervene, and pressure Israeli into releasing him.

Palestinian journalist, author and former political prisoner, Rassem Obeidat, said the detainee was repeatedly abducted and imprisoned by Israel, and spent a total of fifteen years in Israeli prisons.

He added that Abu Khdeir, and his family, have been frequently targeted by Israel, adding that Nasser’s wife, Abeer, his daughters Asala and Somoud, in addition to his son, Anan, were all previously abducted and imprisoned.

Nasser was supposed to be released on Thursday, August 23rd, 2018, but the arbitrary Administrative Detention order will keep him held, without charges, for six additional months.

(Source / 20.08.2018)

Israel forces Palestinian to demolish his home on his wedding day

A Palestinian man can be seen demolishing his home on his wedding day after he was forced to do so by Israeli forces [Quds TV/Twitter]

A Palestinian man can be seen demolishing his home on his wedding day after he was forced to do so by Israeli forces

Israeli occupation police on Saturday evening forced a Palestinian man in the Negev to demolish his home on his wedding day, Arab48 reported.

Faisal Abu-Binniyah in Wadi Al-Naam village was forced to raze the property in which he planned to start his new family, his brother Jalal said, leaving “him without an alternative”.

“The demolition of my brother’s house ended our happiness at his marriage as we were subject to repeated raids by Israeli police and repeated threats to pay high fines if we did not demolish the house,” Jalal told Arab48.

Jalal described the measures of the Israeli police against his family as a “revenge policy”, stating that this is “intentionally planned against Arabs.”

Wadi Al-Naam is the largest unrecognised Arab villages in the Negev with a population estimated to be more than 13,000.

Israel demolishes Al-Araqeeb for 132nd time, arrests residents

Most of the residents in this village were forced out of their homes by the Israeli occupation forces in 1953. Like all other unrecognized villages they lack the basic infrastructure including access to running water and connection to the national grid.

According to the Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), more than half of the approximately 160,000 Bedouins in the Negev reside in unrecognised villages.

The unrecognised Bedouin villages were established in the Negev soon after the 1948 Arab-Israeli war following the creation of the State of Israel.

Right groups say that the demolition of unrecognised Bedouin villages is a central Israeli policyaimed at removing the indigenous Palestinian population from the Negev and transferring them to government-zoned townships to make room for the expansion of Jewish Israeli communities.

Israel demolishes Al-Araqeeb Village - Cartoon [Sabaaneh/MiddleEastMonitor]

(Source / 20.08.2018)

Bennet: ‘Lieberman chose to surrender’ to Hamas

Israeli Education Minister, Naftali Bennett

Israeli Education Minister Naftali Bennett on Saturday accused Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman of choosing to “surrender” to Hamas, Ynet News reported.

“Lieberman chose surrender that will lead to war,” Ynet News reported Bennet as saying. “His irresolution and the delusional belief—that talking to Gaza residents will bring down Hamas and bring security to the residents of the Gaza border—are complete nonsense and irresponsible.”

Bennet added: “The same Lieberman who declared he would bring down Hamas and eliminate [Hamas leader] Ismail Haniyeh is now giving them rewards at the expense of Israel’s security.”

He continued: “The weak policy he is leading under the guise of responsibility and pragmatism has been allowing Hamas to burn the south for 140 days and dictate to the residents there when to run for shelter and when to come out.”

Bennet added: “Lieberman’s attitude endangers the State of Israel and will lead to an inevitable conflict under terms Hamas will dictate and at a time of its convenience.”

Lieberman hit back at the claims, saying: “Bennett is willing to sacrifice the blood of our soldiers with his recklessness.”

Israel reopens Kerem Shalom crossing with Gaza

(Source / 20.08.2018)

Khan Al-Ahmar not illegal, lawyer evidence shows

Palestinian schoolchildren and make shift tents can be seen at Bedouin village of Khan Al-Ahmar, east of Jerusalem in the occupied West Bank on 16 July 2018

The legal representative for Khan Al-Ahmar, Tawfiq Jabareen, yesterday presented evidence that the Bedouin village slated for demolition is not illegal because the erection of tents in the area is legal.

The evidence consisted of a map dating from 1942, during the British Mandate era, which showed that Khan Al-Ahmar is located in an area called the Judean Desert Zone. Jabareen explained that “in this area the law says that you are not [prohibited] from building tents and it is still valid today,” the Jerusalem Post reported.

This evidence means that Khan Al-Ahmar is not located in an agricultural zone declared Israeli “state land,” the key argument put forward by the State in an attempt to declare the village illegal and justify its efforts to demolish the homes of the village’s 180 inhabitants. Jabareen, who has submitted three petitions to Israel’s Supreme Court in an attempt to prevent the demolition of the village, presented the map during a committee meeting of the Civil Administration near the illegal Israeli Beit-El settlement north of Ramallah.

READ: Israeli Jewish settlers raze Palestinian lands near Ramallah

Many efforts have been made by Jabareen and other lawyers to save Khan Al-Ahmar since it was slated for demolition earlier this year. Israeli occupation forces visited the site on 2 July, taking measurements, inspecting the village’s school made of tyres and counting livestock in preparation for the demolition. Residents of Khan Al-Ahmar were then told to leave after the area was declared a closed military zone, and mobile homes were installed in nearby Al-Azariya to relocate them. On 5 July, following international outcry, Israel’s Supreme Court delayed the planned demolition.

In July it emerged that Israel had planned the demolition of Khan Al-Ahmar 40 years ago to make way for a “Jewish corridor” of illegal settlements cutting through the occupied West Bank. The demolition of this and several other Palestinian villages would make way for Ma’ale Adumim and Kfar Adumim, two illegal Jewish-only settlements situated on the Jerusalem-Jericho road.

Khan Al-Ahmar is home to Al-Jahhalin Bedouins, who are refugees from the Negev desert and have lived in the area since their displacement by the Israeli army in 1967. Israel has refused to recognise Al-Jahhalin Bedouin communities or grant them building permits, a strategy often used by Israel to term any Bedouin home illegal.

Land Law in the occupied Palestinian territories is derived from a mix of older legal systems, including that of the Ottoman empire which collapsed in 1917 and that of the British Mandate which governed Palestine from 1923 to the 1948 Nakba. Israel often utilises these overlapping laws to declare private Palestinian land “state land”, thus enabling the State to forcibly transfer its Palestinian inhabitants. Israeli human rights organisation B’Tselem estimates that “by employing these tactics, between 1979 and 2002, Israel declared more than 900,000 dunums [222,349 acres] as state land. This figure represents a 170% increase in the amount of state land in the West Bank prior to the Israeli occupation.”

READ: UN chief suggests deploying UN-mandated armed forces to protect Palestinians

(Source / 20.08.2018)

Israel approves new settlement units near Bethlehem

Settlement constructions by Israel continue in east of Jerusalem

The Israeli authorities approved the construction of new settlement units in the illegal Israeli settlement of Efrat, in southern Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank.

Activist Hassan Breijieh said today that Israeli settlers of Efrat rejected a plan, previously approved by the Israeli civil Administration’s Higher Planning Council, to construct 40 new housing units in the settlement and demanded the construction of 106 units; their demand has been approved by the council.

Breijieh pointed out that settlement expansion will be at the expense of those landowners and farmers of the Al-Khader and Artas villages in southern Bethlehem district.

All settlements in the West Bank are illegal under international law however their construction and expansion have been pursued as a policy by the State of Israel since it occupied the territory in the 1967 Six Day War, along with the Gaza Strip, Jerusalem, the Golan Heights and the Sinai Peninsula. Israeli human rights organisation B’Tselem states that, as of the end of 2015, there were 127 Israeli government-sanctioned settlements in the West Bank (not including occupied East Jerusalem and Hebron). When combined with 100 non-recognised outposts and 15 Israeli neighbourhoods inside the Jerusalem Municipality, these settlements are inhabited by approximately half a million illegal settlers.

Israel settlement project to annex 4 Palestinian villages

(Source / 20.08.2018)

Israeli Jewish settlers raze Palestinian lands near Ramallah

Israeli Jewish settlers raze private Palestinian lands in the village of Ras Karkar, West Bank [Ma’an News Agency]

Israeli Jewish settlers raze private Palestinian lands in the village of Ras Karkar, West Bank

A group of illegal Israeli Jewish settlers started razing private Palestinian lands in the village of Ras Karkar in the east of occupied West Bank city of Ramallah yesterday, Quds Press reported.

Local sources told the news site that the settlers’ bulldozers arrived in the area of Jabal Al-Risan in the Palestinian village and started to raze Palestinian lands without prior warning.

Palestinian anti-settlement activist Ayid Al-Mazloum said that the targeted Palestinian land is owned by the Nofal, Fkhida and Samhan families, stressing that they had never received any Israeli demolition orders.

Al-Mazloum added: “Razing the lands stopped after the villagers stood up against the Israeli bulldozers, which are still in the area under the protection of the Israeli occupation forces.”

Read: Israel’s Culture Ministry funds settlers ‘squatting illegally’ in Palestinian home

Villagers would not have remained silent if a demolition order had been issued by the Israeli occupation authorities, he said.

There has been an increase in the number of attacks by settlers against Palestinian property in the past few weeks. Palestinian vehicles have been sabotaged and racist graffiti has been sprayed in Arab areas calling for the death of Palestinians.

(Source / 20.08.2018)