In video: Syrian Army ambushes militants, seizes weapons destined for Al-Nusra

Security authorities in Al- Salamiyah city seized a cargo of ammo and weapons en route to jihadi groups in Jabal Al-Zawiyah, Idlib province.

The cargo contained AK-47 assault rifles, automatic machine guns, sniper rifles, light as well as medium – caliber ammunition.

A source told Al Masdar News that a security force ambushed several trucks and motorcycles on the strategic Salamiyah – Ithriya road, killing and wounding most of the guards

(Source / 12.08.2016)

 

Hamas: Palestinian refugees in Lebanon committed to right of return

On the 40th anniversary of the Tel al-Zaatar massacre

BEIRUT, (PIC)– Hamas Movement reiterated Palestinians’ commitment to their right of return to their motherland. Hamas’s department of refugee affairs said in a statement to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the notorious Tel al-Zaatar massacre in Lebanon, Palestinians’ existence in Lebanese refugee camps is provisional and their return is just a matter of time. “The Palestinians will never forfeit their right to return to their native soil and liberate their land despite all the massacres perpetrated against the Palestinian people,” the statement read. “The destruction of the Tel al-Zaatar refugee camp and the slaughter of its refugees served Israeli interests,” Hamas added. “Palestinian refugees have the right to inspect the deal following which the UNRWA gave up the shelter and never tried to bring back the refugees,” the group further stated. Hamas called for returning the bodies of slain refugees and burying them in “decent places.” Over 3,000 Palestinian refugees were slaughtered in a horrendous massacre at the Tel al-Zaatar refugee camp, to the northeast of Beirut on August 12, 1976.

(Source / 12.08.2016)

Haaretz unveils Israeli intents to raze homes in Muslim Quarter of J’lem

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC)– Haaretz newspaper has revealed Israeli plans to demolish Palestinian homes in the Muslim Quarter in the Old City of Jerusalem in order to expand al-Buraq (wailing) Wall. According to the newspaper, the plan emerged at first in 1972 when the Israeli authorities discovered that one of the Palestinian houses’ walls there was part of the so-called “little wailing wall.” This incident led the authorities to find out later that other parts of this wailing wall were hidden inside the Muslim quarter, according to the Israeli claims.

(Source / 12.08.2016)

Israeli court rejects request to remove handcuffs of bedridden hunger striker Bilal Kayid

Bilal Demo

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — An Israeli court Friday rejected a request by hunger-striking Palestinian prisoner Bilal Kayid to remove handcuffs which have strapped him to a hospital bed in Israel’s Barzilai Hospital in Ashkelon since last month when he was hospitalized after his health deteriorated.An Israeli court in Beersheba reportedly rejected Kayid’s request for removing the handcuffs, including allowing a doctor from outside the hospital to check on his health condition, according to Israeli media. The request was submitted by his lawyers, representing Physicians for Human Rights, to the court on ThursdayKayid’s lawyer is set to present an appeal against the Beersheba court decision to the Israeli Supreme Court, Israeli media reported.Israel’s Supreme Court has set a hearing session on October 5 regarding an appeal presented by Kayid’s lawyers challenging his sentence.In a statement issued on Friday by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), the left-wing political group Kayid is affiliated with, the movement said Israel was fully responsible for keeping Kayid in “inhumane conditions,” while continuing to cuff his hands and legs despite his critical health condition.The Israel Prison Service (IPS) told Israeli newspaper Haaretz last week that Kayid remained handcuffed to his bed in order to “prevent an attempt to free him.”Kayid, who entered the 60th day of his hunger strike on Friday, is a prominent member of the PFLP. After being sentenced to six months of administrative detention — an Israeli policy of internment without charge or trial — on the day he was expected to be released from a 14-year prison sentence, he declared an open hunger strike.PFLP-affiliated prisoners from across Israel’s prisons launched solidarity hunger strikes to support Kayid, with more than 80 Palestinian prisoners participating as of Sunday.

Kayid’s health has severely suffered over previous weeks, with the Palestinian Ministry of Healthwarning last week that his health was worsening, as doctors warned of “sudden death.”
Kayid is one of the most high-profile hunger strikers since Palestinian journalist Muhammad al-Qiq came near death during a 94-day hunger strike before he was finally released in May.Other Palestinian prisoners also joined the strike in protest of being placed in administrative detention:Muhammad and Mahmoud Balboul have been on hunger strike for almost 40 days, prominent Palestinian journalist Omar Nazzal declared his strike on August 4, while Ayyad al-Hreimi and Malik al-Qadi are also on hunger strike in protest of being held without charge or trial.
Israel’s policy of administrative detention, almost exclusively used against Palestinians, has been widely criticized by rights group which have accused Israel of using the policy to erode Palestinian political and social life by detaining scores of Palestinians without proof of wrongdoingWalid Masalmeh is also on hunger strike in protest of being held in solitary confinement.The large-scale solidarity movement among prisoners has resulted in an equally massive crackdown on mostly PFLP prisoners by the IPS, which has conducted multiple raids, cell block closures, confiscations of personal property, and transfers of detainees in attempts to quell the strikes.Israeli authorities have also blocked hunger-striking prisoners from visiting their lawyers, claiming their health conditions could not permit the visitations.While IPS in Israel’s Mehgiddo prison banend 15 hunger-striking prisoners from receiving visits from their lawyers, IPS also reportedly banned 35 other hunger-striking prisoners from receiving lawyer visits at Israel’s Gilboa prison for the same reasons, while an order was also issued to ban lawyers from visiting hunger-striking Palestinian prisoners at Israel’s Jalbou prison.Meanwhile, Israeli authorities have recently banned at least 54 Palestinians from family visitations. IPS has repeatedly denied family visitation for scores of Palestinian prisoners held in in prisons across the state of Israel, and some families have reported being held at Israeli checkpoints and forced to return to their homes in the occupied territory, despite being granted visitation permits.The incidents came amid widespread protest over the ICRC’s recent cuts to family visitations, reducing arranged visits for male Palestinian prisoners from two days a month to just one.However, the Palestinian Authority announced its plans on Tuesday to cover the financial expenses of the second family visit for Palestinian prisoners, while ICRC would still be responsible for arranging the visits with Israeli authorities.
(Source / 12.08.2016)

Russian bombers destroy ISIS chemical weapons plant near Raqqa, Syria

Tu-22M3 supersonic, variable-sweep wing, long-range strategic and maritime strike bomber © Russian Defense Ministry

Tu-22M3 supersonic, variable-sweep wing, long-range strategic and maritime strike bomber

Russian Tu-22M3 strategic bombers have destroyed an Islamic State chemical weapons factory and killed numerous personnel with concentrated high-explosive munitions airstrikes around the terrorist stronghold Raqqa in Syria.

Six long-range Tu-22M3s (NATO reporting name: Blinder) took off from airfields in Russia and, having passed through the airspace of several countries, attacked Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) terrorist installations southeast, north, and northwest of the city of Raqqa.

The bombers were escorted by Sukhoi Su-35C fighter jets and Su-30SM fighter-bomber jets that took off from Khmeimim airbase in Syria’s Latakia province.

All of the aircraft successfully returned to their respective bases.

 

The bombers carried out devastating airstrikes in several locations, eliminating a plant producing chemical munitions in a northwestern suburb of Raqqa, as well as a large warehouse containing weapons, munitions and fuel close to the city, and a large Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) field training camp.

The airstrikes inflicted multiple casualties on the terrorist forces, Russia’s Defense Ministry reports, citing drone surveillance.

READ MORE: Russian long-range bombers destroy ISIS targets near Palmyra, Syria (VIDEO)

On Monday, August 8, long-range Russian bombers destroyed IS targets near Palmyra, Syria. Six Tu-22M3s carried out airstrikes near the settlements of Es Sukhne and Arak, eliminating a terrorist control center, an underground munitions and weaponry dump, fighting infantry vehicles, and off-roaders mounted with heavy machine guns, along with a large number of enemy personnel.

(Source / 12.08.2016)

Israel to seize 231 dunums of Palestinian land for Amona settler

RAMALLAH, (PIC)– The Israeli occupation authority (IOA) on Thursday decided to seize 231 dunums of Palestinian-owned land in Silwad town, northeast of Ramallah, in order to build a settlement outpost. The IOA published an announcement in the Palestinian newspaper al-Quds stating its intention to annex an abandoned plot of land in the town. Palestinian official sources said that this plot of land belongs to absent Palestinians who do not live in the West Bank and that the IOA intends to use the law of absentee property to relocate the settlers of Amona outpost to it. For its part, the Israeli group Peace Now condemned Israel’s intent to seize an abandoned private land as a serious violation of previous governments’ policy that refrained from seizing absentee property for settlers.

(Source / 12.08.2016)

Palestinian Hospitalized After Israeli Soldiers Assaulted Him In Jerusalem

12 AUG
10:40 AM

A Palestinian man was moderately injured, on Thursday evening, after Israeli soldiers repeatedly assaulted him in Ein al-Louza neighborhood, in Silwan town, in occupied East Jerusalem.

The Wadi Hilweh Information Center in Silwan (Silwanic) said dozens of soldiers invaded Ein al-Louza, the al-Wista neighborhood, and Torbet as-Sawahra area, attacked many young men, and questioned them in a provocative manner.

Shortly after that, some youngsters hurled fireworks at the invading soldiers, while the army closed Ein al-Louza and all main roads in the area, causing a traffic jam.

Qarain Injured

Silwanic added that the soldiers stopped a young man, identified as ‘Ala Qara’in, 45, and started beating him up, in addition to clubbing and kicking him, causing various cuts and bruises, in addition to shortness of breath, eventually causing him to faint.

Many Palestinians tried to rush to the rescue of the wounded Palestinian, but the soldiers assaulted them before an ambulance arrived at the scene and took him to Hadassah Ein Karem Hospital.

The soldiers also broke into many homes belonging to al-Abbassi and Rajabi families, and assaulted several young men, in addition to hurling concussion grenades into the alleys.

(Source / 12.08.2016)

Relative calm reported north of Sirte, Libya

[File photo]

A period of cautious relative calm was been reported in Libya’s northern city of Sirte yesterday following fierce battles between forces loyal to the government of National Accord and Daesh.

Sources close to Al-Bunyan Al-Marsoos, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told the Anadolu Agency: “Calm continues in all the fighting axes in the residential neighbourhoods, north of Sirte.”

A spokesman for Misrata Central Hospital, Akram Kulaiwan told the news agency that 17 soldiers were killed in yesterday’s fighting, while 86 others were wounded.

He did not have information on losses among Daesh fighters.

On Wednesday, pro- government forces backed by the United States said they had seized the Islamic State’s last stronghold in the country, in the seaside city of Sirte.

(Source / 12.08.2016)

Army Jeep Rams A Child Near Jenin

10 AUG
9:31 PM

An Israeli military jeep rammed, on Wednesday evening, a Palestinian child, south of the northern West Bank city of Jenin, before the soldiers detained and interrogated him instead of providing him the needed medical aid.

Palestinian medical sources said the child, identified as Islam Sabaghna, 16, was struck by an Israeli military jeep on the main road linking between Qabatia town, Sanour and Msalya villages, south of Jenin.

They added that the soldiers detained and interrogated the wounded child, and did not allow him access to medical attention.

The child was released later, and was instantly moved to a hospital in Jenin suffering moderate but stable wounds.

(Source / 12.08.2016)

ICC-based Palestinian human rights worker receiving death threats

icc-international-criminal-court-2

A Palestinian employee of human rights organisation Al-Haq, who serves as their permanent representative at the International Criminal Court (ICC) is receiving death threats from a potential state actor, it has been revealed.

According to a report in Dutch newspaper NRC, Nada Kiswanson – who is based in The Hague – has been receiving the threats for around six months. Kiswanson is there in the context of providing evidence related to possible Israeli war crimes in Palestine.

Because the threats relate to her work at the ICC, and citing the advanced techniques used by those sending the threats, the Dutch paper notes suspicions that the Israeli security services may be involved. The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it did not wish to respond to such allegations.

The Dutch authorities are taking the issue very seriously, with the Foreign Affairs and Security and Justice ministries, as well as the National Coordinator for Counterterrorism all aware of the issue.

Amnesty International in The Netherlands has released a statement condemning the “constant death threats” and “intimidation” being received by Kiswanson. In a further twist, Amnesty revealed that “Nada Kiswanson and her family were threatened through the hacking of a personal email account of one of Amnesty’s senior staff members in The Netherlands.”

The Amnesty statement goes on to urge “the Dutch government, at the highest level, to publicly state that these grave threats, which may be international in origin, are unacceptable on Dutch territory.”

On Twitter, Amnesty International UK Campaigns Manager Kristyan Benedict said the threats were “designed to silence this Palestinian human rights NGO.”

Israeli officials have made no bones about the fact they view the possibility of an ICC investigation into war crimes committed in the Occupied Palestinian Territory as a serious threat.

In 2014, a senior legal official at Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs warned that the “challenge” of the ICC would be “potentially a very significant one”, describing the ICC as “a specific delegimitisation challenge that concerns us a great deal.”

‘Delegitimisation’ is a term often used by Israeli officials to refer to international campaigns for Palestinian human rights or accountability for violations of international law.

(Source / 12.08.2016)