Rohingya Muslims passing the time in their home at Aung Mingalar quarter in Sittwe on August 13, 2013. Sittwe’s last remaining Muslim-dominated quarter, Aung Mingalar, is locked down by the police and soldiers who patrol all streets leading in and out. Muslims can’t leave without written permission from the local authorities, which Muslims say is almost impossible to secure
YANGON (AP) – Hundreds of Muslims trapped in ghetto-like conditions in western Myanmar after their homes were torched by Buddhist-mobs last year have been moved to a camp for internally displaced people.
Government spokesman Win Myaing said the relocation on Saturday from Aung Mingalar quarter in Sittwe township was voluntary. But a well-known activist Aung Win said many of the families were unhappy about the move.
Mr Win Myaing said 577 people who lost their homes during June 2012 sectarian violence were taken to camps outside of Sittwe, with more relocations planned for Sunday.
He said thousands of people who did not lose their homes would remain in Aung Mingalar.
(Source / 24.08.2013)