Rasulullah (SAW) said, ‘A Mu’ min is a mirror for a Mu’min.’ (Abu Dawud)
The qualities of a mirror:
1) For it to show the actual image of a person, a mirror must be clean and clear itself. Thus a Mu’min/ah is required to purify his/her heart, thoughts and actions, to qualify to be a mirror of her/his brother/sister.
2) A mirror always shows us our actual image. It doesn’t hide our imperfections (May Allah forgive me for using this term for His perfect creation). The mirror isn’t in a quest to make us happy or sad by showing us otherwise. It simply reflects how we are. It is that honest and truthful.
3) Once we move away from the mirror, on our return it doesn’t remind us of the situation it saw us before. If we had just woken up from sleep, and looked at it with disheveled looks, once well groomed, it will not tell us of our past. It is forgiving. It doesn’t hold grudges. It doesn’t remind us of our shameful past.
4) The mirror keeps secrets. Once we moved away from it, our image is gone with us. It will not display our image to the next person that comes along. No matter how much time we have spent in front of it, and how many secrets we have told it. It shall bury our secrets in itself, and never tell others.
5) Along with our faults, the mirror shows us our beauty and perfection. Thus it is fair and encouraging. When we smile at it, it tells us what a healthy habit you have.
“O’Allah give us the wisdom to be a mirror to our brothers/sisters. O’Allah surround us with those who want to be mirrors. O’Allah! Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Aameen Thuma Aameen”
(amuslimsistermaria200327.wordpress.com / 28.05.2011)