Yemen security forces fire on protesters

At least one person reported dead and others injured as crackdown on anti-government protests in Taiz continues.

Yemeni security forces have opened fire on protesters outside a government building in the southern city of Taiz, reportedly killing one man and wounding at least 10 others.

A medical official said the body of a protester shot dead had been received at the local hospital while dozens of injured people had been admitted, among them five with bullet wounds, one in a serious condition, according to the AFP news agency.

He identified the dead protester as Mohammed Abdelhaq, 35.

The attack early on Monday came after two protesters were killed a day earlier when government troops tried to break up the same demonstration, which has blocked the main Jamal Road near the regional education ministry.

Thousands of teachers demanding better pay and the postponement of final exams have been staging a sit-in outside the ministry building for weeks, but they were joined on Sunday night by hundreds of anti-regime protesters who set up tents and stayed the night.

The teachers, joined by some students, had also chanted slogans against Yemen’s longtime president, Ali Abdullah Saleh.

“A large force of police and army attacked protesters and then chased them in residential areas. They opened fire and used tear gas heavily,” said Bushra al-Maqtari, an activist in Taiz. The security forces also used armoured vehicles, witnesses said.

Many demonstrators across Yemen, who include students, tribesmen and activists, have vowed to stay on the streets until Saleh, who has clung to power despite three months of protests, steps down. Around 150 people have been killed in the unrest.

(networkedblogs.com / 09.05.2011)

Geef een reactie

Het e-mailadres wordt niet gepubliceerd. Vereiste velden zijn gemarkeerd met *