Gaza: New Corona injury recorded, hundreds of quarantined

The Ministry of Health in the Gaza Strip announced today, Thursday, the registration of a new injury, bringing the number to 4 today.

Ashraf Al-Qidra, a spokesman for the Ministry in Gaza, said during a press conference that the number of registered cases reached 70, including one death for a 77-year-old woman, and 18 cases recovered.

He pointed out that the new cases discovered today were transferred to the Isolation Hospital at the Rafah crossing.

And that the ministry ended the quarantine of 577 hosted in the quarantine centers among the returnees recently through the Rafah crossing, indicating that the ministry continues to work to end another batch during the coming hours.

Al-Qudra pointed out that the central laboratory is conducting a laboratory examination of hundreds of samples to complete the quarantine termination protocol for the hosts.

He said: “The spread of the epidemic in the region constitutes a constant threat to the Gaza Strip, and requires full commitment to the full preventive measures at the level of citizens and sectors that will be allowed to re-operate in accordance with established health controls.”

He pointed out that the Ministry has a plan to deal with the different scenarios and stages of the Corona epidemic, and requires the provision of $ 59 million to cover its invasions of medicines, medical consumables, laboratory supplies, laboratory examination materials, intensive care beds, ventilators, crew training and community outreach.

He stated that the Ministry of Gaza received today two machines for virus scanning, within the previously announced Turkish grant, through the World Health Organization.

He pointed out that what has reached the Ministry in Gaza as part of its plan to confront the Corona pandemic until the moment is only $ 1.8 million through partner institutions, calling on all concerned to take serious steps to strengthen the capabilities of the health system in the face of the pandemic.

(Source / 05.06.2020)

Minister Of Health: Four New Cases Of Coronavirus Confirmed In Palestine; Total 640

Photos File

Four new cases of coronavirus were confirmed in Palestine today, raising the total to 640, Minister of Health Mai Alkaila said in a statement.

The four cases include three children aged 2, 5 and 6 years, of a woman from the northern West Bank village of Barta’a who yesterday tested positive for the disease.

The fourth case is of 63-year-old woman in the Gaza Strip.

Out of the 640 cases, 394 are in the West Bank, 67 in the Gaza Strip and 179 in occupied Jerusalem. A total of five corona patients have died, including two in the West Bank, two in Jerusalem and one on Gaza.

Recoveries reached 372 in the West Bank and Gaza and 155 in Jerusalem, which is 85% of the total.

(Source / 05.06.2020)

5 cases of “Corona” among the detainees inside the quarantine in Gaza

The Ministry of Health in the Gaza Strip announced, this evening, the registration of 5 new infections with the Corona virus in the Strip, among those who were quarantined.

Dr. said. Ashraf Al-Qedra, a health spokesman in Gaza: This brings the total number of cases registered with the Corona virus in the Gaza Strip since last March to 66, including one death for an elderly woman, 18 cases recovered, and 47 cases are still under treatment in the isolation hospital.

He added: “483 new samples were performed during the past 24 hours, and the total number of samples examined for the suspected cases reached 10565, of which 10504 were negative and 66 were positive.”

(Source / 04.06.2020)

Two New Coronavirus Cases Confirmed In West Bank; Total Reaches 630 In Palestine

Photos File

Two new coronavirus cases were confirmed this morning in the northern West Bank district of Qalqilya, bringing the total in Palestine to 630, according to Minister of Health Mai Alkaila.

The new cases were in the village of Azzoun, where recent cases were discovered, and they were for a two-year-old child and a 25-year-old woman, said the minister in a statement, who got the disease after coming in contact with infected people.

Alkaila said 84 percent of the coronavirus cases in Palestine have recovered and only 23 active cases remain in the Jerusalem district, 17 in the Hebron district, 16 in Qalqilya district, and 42 in the Gaza Strip.

Out of the 630 cases, 390 are in the West Bank, 61 in the Gaza Strip and 179 in occupied Jerusalem. A total of five corona patients have died, including two in the West Bank, two in  Jerusalem and one on Gaza. Recoveries included 372 in the West Bank and Gaza and 155 in  Jerusalem.

(Source / 02.06.2020)

World Bank: Palestinian economy struggles as Coronavirus inflicts losses

The economy’s potential remains confined by restrictions on the movement of people and goods imposed by the Israeli occupation

An abrupt decline in economic activities and pressure on the Palestinian Authority (PA)’s finances have placed Palestinian livelihoods at high risks, due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), World Bank revealed on Sunday.

After growth of a mere 1 per cent in 2019, the economy is projected to contract by at least 7.6 per cent in 2020, the World Bank said.

Beyond the immediate crisis, lifting restrictions on the development of digital infrastructure and fostering better regulations could play an important role in stimulating an already faltering economy, it suggested.

“With the COVID-19 pandemic in its third month, the crisis is affecting Palestinian lives and livelihoods. The Palestinian Authority has acted early and decisively to save lives,” the World Bank said in a statement a copy of which sent to Palestine Post 24.

“However,” Kanthan Shankar, World Bank Country Director for West Bank and Gaza, said, “several years of declining donor support and the ed economic instruments available have turned the ability of the government to protect livelihoods into a monumental task.

“Hence, external support will be critical to help grow the economy during this unprecedented period.”

The new World Bank economic monitoring report highlights critical challenges facing the Palestinian economy. The economy may shrink by at least 7.6 per cent, based on a gradual return to normality from the containment, and by up to 11 per cent in the case of a slower recovery or further restrictions.

The PA’s fiscal situation is expected to become increasingly difficult, due to a decline in revenues and substantial increase in public spending on people’s medical, social, and economic needs.

Even with reallocations of some expenditures, the financing gap could increase alarmingly, from an already high $800 million in 2019 to over $1.5 billion in 2020 to adequately address these needs.

Even prior to the Coronavirus pandemic, more than a quarter of Palestinians lived below the poverty line. The share of poor households is now expected to increase to 30 per cent in the West Bank and to 64 per cent in Gaza.

Even more striking is the youth unemployment rate of 38 per cent, well beyond the Middle East & North Africa’s regional average.

The economy’s potential remains confined by restrictions on the movement of people and goods imposed by the Israeli occupation.

The report will be presented to the Ad Hoc Liaison Committee (AHLC) during a virtual meeting on June 2, 2020. This will be a policy-level meeting for development assistance to the Palestinian people.

(Source / 01.06.2020)

Health of Hamas representative in Saudi deteriorates in prison

Palestinians take part in a protest in solidarity with prisoners in Saudi jails, in front of the Red cross office, in Gaza city on on 16 October 2019. [Ashraf Amra/Apaimages]
Palestinians take part in a protest in solidarity with prisoners in Saudi jails, in front of the Red cross office, in Gaza city on on 16 October 2019

The health condition of Hamas representative in Saudi Arabia, Dr Mohamed Al-Khodari, 81, has dramatically deteriorated while inside Saudi prison, Quds Press reported on Friday.

According to Quds Press, “Prisoners of Conscience”, a Twitter account which documents the situation of political prisoners in Saudi Arabia, revealed that Al-Khodari, who has been detained since April 2019, lost his ability to move due to severe illness.

Saudi Arabia arrested dozens of Palestinian students, academics and residents arbitrarily a year ago, including Al-Khodari, the official representative of Hamas in the kingdom.

No formal charges have been made against them.

READ: Hamas reveals the hidden aspects of its relations with Saudi Arabia 

(Source / 30.05.2020)

New Coronavirus Case Confirmed In West Bank Raising Total In Palestine To 626

Photos File

A new coronavirus case was confirmed today in the West Bank raising total in Palestine to 626, said Minister of Health Mai Alkaila.

The new case was discovered in the village of Hajja in the northern West Bank district of Qalqilya of a 56-year-old man who got the disease after interacting with an infected person in the same area.

The Qalqilya district has recently witnessed more than a dozen new cases of coronavirus.

With the new case, a total of 386 cases were confirmed in the West Bank since the outbreak of the disease in early March and 61 cases in the Gaza Strip, most confirmed this month. In addition, 179 cases were reported in occupied East Jerusalem.

Five patients have died from the disease, including two in the West Bank, two in occupied Jerusalem and one in the Gaza Strip.

Recoveries reached 368 in the West Bank and Gaza Strip in addition to 155 in Jerusalem.

(Source / 30.05.2020)

Fears mount as Gaza reports first COVID-19 death

In a worrying development, Gaza confirmed its first COVID-19 (coronavirus) death on Saturday 23 May. The woman, identified as 77-year-old Fadila Muhammad Abu Raida, died at a quarantine hospital after returning from Egypt a few days before. Over the last week, the Ministry of Health have also reported 41 new cases of COVID-19 in quarantine centres in Gaza, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 61.

Medical Aid for Palestinians (MAP) is greatly concerned that a widespread outbreak in Gaza could be catastrophic for the two million inhabitants. In one of the most densely populated places in the world, social distancing measures are near impossible to maintain. Israel’s illegal 13-year closure has left 80% of the population dependent on humanitarian aid, particularly food assistance, and accelerated the de-development of healthcare such that it lacks the essential equipment, drugs, supplies and human resources needed to treat a widespread outbreak of coronavirus.

Beyond Gaza, in the West Bank and the Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon, Palestinian communities also remain extremely vulnerable to the global COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dr Andy Ferguson, MAP’s Director of Programmes, has warned: “We’ve all seen the number of cases and number of deaths from COVID-19 rise exponentially throughout the world. Every death is a tragedy. In the occupied Palestinian territory and refugee camps of Lebanon our greatest fear remains the rapid and uncontrollable spread of the infection through communities almost defenceless as a result of overcrowding, poverty, malnutrition, a high prevalence of chronic disease and health systems already at breaking point. We must do all we can to mitigate those risks.”

MAP is continuing to do our utmost to prevent the further spread of the disease and avoid the nightmare scenario of the Palestinian health systems becoming totally overwhelmed. Our emergency response is prioritising infection control and the provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for health workers. Meanwhile, we are helping hospitals prepare to care for more patients with severe COVID-19 disease through the supply of critical care drugs and consumables.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, MAP has provided to Gaza 430 hygiene kits, 4,552L of disinfectant alcohol gel, 2,000 PPE suits, 10,500 sterile gowns, 84,000 face masks, 65 eye protection glasses and 500,000 latex gloves.

In the West Bank we have delivered 204 PPE kits for health workers to the Ministry of Health. In Lebanon MAP has provided 287 PPE kits to five Palestine Red Crescent Society Hospitals and procured face masks, antiseptic lotions, and gloves so our community midwives can safely conduct individual health education sessions.

These infection control and hygiene measures have helped prevent widespread outbreaks of COVID-19 that would inevitably overwhelm Palestinians’ healthcare services. But with the crisis predicted to last for many months, such interventions will need to be sustained to avert disaster.

(Source / 29.05.2020)

Human rights watchdogs call for intervention to save life of cancer-patient prisoner

Jenin (QNN)- Several human rights watchdogs called for an intervention to save the life of the cancer-patient prisoner Kamal Abu Wa’r after a serious deterioration in his health.

The Palestinian Prisoners’ Association stated that the condition of Abu War, from Qabatya in Jenin, has deteriorated.

Abu Wa’r, who suffers from throat cancer, has been subjected to radiotherapy. New tests revealed that his tumor’s size has increased. He has also lost weight and lost his ability to talk.

The association noted that Abu Wa’r’s suffering started in later 2019. The Israeli Prison Service (IPS) allowed him to have radiotherapy but according to his lawyer, he was handcuffed during the thereby and he suffered a great deal while being sent to a hospital on prisoner transport vehicles.

The head of the association held the occupation state responsible for the life of Abu Wa’r and the lives of nearly 700 sick prisoners, including at least ten cancer-patients.

For its part, the Committee of Prisoners’ Affairs warned of the ongoing Israeli policy of medical negligence against Abu Wa’r.

Palestinian prisoners had issued a statement calling on international and Palestinian institutions, as well as the Palestinian leadership and the Palestinian resistance to urgently intervene to save the life of Abu Wa’r.

Kamal Abu Wa’r (46 years old) is serving a court sentence of 6 life imprisonments and 50 years. He was arrested in 2003 and he has been jailed in Jalbou’ jail.

(Source / 27.05.2020)

Gaza: two new cases of the Corona virus recovered

The Ministry of Health in the Gaza Strip announced today, Sunday, the recovery of two new cases of the Corona virus.

According to the ministry’s daily report, the number of recovering cases has reached 18 since last March, of whom 5 are still in the Isolation Hospital at the Rafah crossing, and 13 of them have left their homes.

The ministry indicated that the number of injuries so far is 55, of whom 38 are active, while one death was recorded for an elderly yesterday.

She noted that no new tests were conducted during the past 24 hours, and without any additional injuries recorded.

She pointed out that there are 1668 hosts in 18 quarantine centers distributed in the various governorates of the sector.

(Source / 26.05.2020)