Titel Category

This category

Categorie archief Revolution Libye

3-Libyan rebels says Gaddafi forces fight each other

Gunfight between security force units at Misrata: rebels

* Government spokesman says reports of mutiny are “rubbish”

* Resident says city calm by nightfall (updates with quote from resident)

By Mariam Karouny

DJERBA, Tunisia, March 13 (Reuters) – An assault on Libya’s rebel-held city of Misrata was stalled on Sunday by renewed fighting between members of Muammar Gaddafi’s security forces, rebels said, but the government denied reports of a mutiny.

Residents said fighting broke out on Saturday after some units of the Libyan leader’s force refused to attack Misrata, Libya’s third-biggest city and the only place in the west of the country still openly defying Gaddafi’s rule.

The reports of a mutiny could not be verified because Libyan authorities have not allowed reporters access to the city of 300,000 which is 200 km (130 miles) east of the capital.

“From the early morning they (the security forces) are fighting among each other. We hear the fighting,” Mohammed, one of the rebel fighters, told Reuters by telephone on Sunday.

“This division between them came to us from God. Just when we thought the end was coming, this happened. Now we are waiting to see what will happen.”

MUTINY REPORTS “RUBBISH”

Asked about reports of a mutiny in Misrata, government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim said: “This is rubbish. It is not true.”

“The army has surrounded the centre of Misrata. They are in the city. Tribal elders are talking to them (the rebels) to surrender,” he said in Tripoli.

Misrata residents said they could hear the sound of heavy fighting from a military airfield to the south of the town, where pro-Gaddafi forces have been based.

They said there were no clashes between rebels and security forces on Sunday. By nightfall, the city was calm, even though fearful locals said they were bracing for a government assault.

“It’s quiet, the streets are empty, but we are expecting an attack at any moment,” said Mohammed, a resident, adding there was a shortage of emergency medical supplies in the city.

Earlier Gemal, a rebel spokesman, said that during fighting between Gaddafi’s forces a house and a shop had been hit by shelling. He did not know whether there were any casualties.

He said during the day shops had opened as normal, adding: “Of course there is tension as everybody is waiting to see what will happen.”

Reports of a mutiny in Misrata, though unconfirmed, will raise questions about the ability of Gaddafi’s security forces to press an offensive in the country’s east, where the rebels have their biggest stronghold.

Residents had said the main force preparing to attack Misrata was the 32nd Brigade. This is commanded by Gaddafi’s son Khamis and, according to military analysts, is the best trained and equipped force available to the Libyan leader.

Gaddafi, in power for four decades, lost control over large swathes of the oil exporting country last month in a revolt against his rule that took some of its inspiration from uprisings in neighbouring Tunisia and Egypt.

But in the past week, the momentum has shifted back towards Gaddafi. His forces crushed a rebellion in Zawiyah, 50 km west of Tripoli, and drove the rebels in the east out of the oil towns of Ras Lanuf and Brega.

(www.af.reuters.com / 13.03.2011)

Al Jazeera staffer killed in Libya

Cameraman Ali Hassan Al Jaber was returning to eastern city of Benghazi from filing report when he was shot and killed.

An Al Jazeera cameraman has been killed in what appears to have been an ambush near the rebel-held city of Benghazi in eastern Libya.

Ali Hassan Al Jaber was returning to Benghazi from a nearby town after filing a report from an opposition protest when unknown fighters opened fire on a car he and his colleagues were travelling in.

Two people including Al Jaber were shot. Al Jaber was rushed to hospital, but did not survive.

Al Jazeera’s Tony Birtley, reporting from Benghazi, said Al Jaber was hit by three shots and was wounded through the heart.

“This is an extension of the campaign against Al Jazeera, and Al Jazeera Arabic particularly – because everyone here watch Al Jazeera Arabic. Their work has been heroic, and it has been a great shock to lose a colleague.”

‘Cowardly crime’

Wadah Khanfar, the director-general of Al Jazeera, said the network “will not remain silent” and will pursue those behind the ambush through legal channels.

He said that the killing came after “an unprecedented campaign” against the network by Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

Wadah Khanfar said Al Jazeera will not remain silent in the wake of Al Jaber’s killing

“Al Jazeera condemns the cowardly crime, which comes as part of the Libyan regime’s malicious campaign targeting Al Jazeera and its staff,” the network said in a statement.

“Al Jazeera reiterates the assault cannot dent its resolve to continue its mission, professionally enlightening the public of the unfolding events in Libya and elsewhere.

“Al Jazeera stresses it will relentlessly prosecute and bring to justice all perpetrators and their accomplices.”

Al Jaber, a Qatari national, was born in 1955 and received his bachelor and master’s degrees in cinematography from the Academy of Arts in Cairo. He was the director of CNBC Arabiya TV bureau in Qatar.

He also served as a supervisor in the National Olympic Committee between 2002 and 2005 and held the office of Head of Filming Section in Qatar Television for more than 20 years.

During his tenure, he produced a number of documentaries including one on Qatar and another on Kuwait entitled “Plight and Tribulation”.

His death marks the first report of a journalist killed in the current conflict in Libya.

(english.jazeera.net / 12.03.2011)

Arabische Liga vraagt om no-flyzone Libië

CAÏRO – De Arabische Liga heeft de Veiligheidsraad van de Verenigde Naties gevraagd een no-flyzone boven Libië in te stellen. De 22 landen tellende organisatie – waarvan de ministers van buitenlandse zaken zaterdag spoedoverleg voerden – kan de zone niet zelf instellen, maar goedkeuring betekent de regionale steun die de Verenigde Staten en andere westerse mogendheden nodig zeggen te hebben om het vliegverbod door te voeren.

De opstandelingen die de Libische leider Moammar Kadhafi proberen af te zetten hebben ook om de no-flyzone gevraagd. Door een vliegverbod worden ze beschermd tegen luchtaanvallen door de regeringstroepen.

Volgens de Amerikaanse regering heeft een no-flyzone echter weinig impact en de internationale gemeenschap is dan ook nog verdeeld over de kwestie.

In een verklaring vraagt de Arabische Liga ‘de Verenigde Naties hun verantwoordelijkheid te nemen door een no-flyzone boven Libië in te stellen’. (AP)

(www.parool.nl / 12.03.2011)

Thousands of Libyan women march for ‘no-fly zone’

BENGHAZI, Libya (AFP) – Several thousand Libyan women marched through the streets of rebel-held Benghazi on Saturday, demanding a no-fly zone to stop Moamer Kadhafi from bombing rebel fighters.

“No-fly zone! No-fly zone!” chanted the crowd in English and in unison, waving Libyan flags and flashing victory signs as they marched along the seafront corniche in the country’s rebel-held second city.

Students, mothers, grandmothers, children and toddlers walked hand in hand, most of them wearing headscarves and some with flags painted on their cheeks and Libyan flags wrapped around their foreheads, bandana-style.

They held up framed photographs of male relatives killed since the uprising began in mid-February and banners scrawled with slogans such as: “Is oil more expensive than the blood of our sons?”

One demonstrator held up a poster depicting Kadhafi as a vampire, with fangs, fuzzy hair, blood dripping from his mouth and a pirate’s eyepatch.

“We want a no-fly zone because we are dying, we are dying, we are dying. We need help from the UN,” shouted one woman in a headscarf.

“We don’t want foreign intervention, we just want a no-fly zone and our boys will do the rest. But they have light weapons in the face of air strikes,” said Nada el-Turki, an economics student walking hand in hand with a toddler.

At the beginning of the protest, witnesses said a man tried to ram the march with a car stocked with grenades, but was detained by volunteer guards, some of whom were carrying rifles and one a rocket-propelled grenade.

An AFP reporter saw a car with its windscreen smashed in.

(www.maannews.net / 12.03.2011)

Libië verbreekt contacten met Frankrijk

De Libische overheid heeft vrijdag officieel alle diplomatieke relaties met Frankrijk opgeheven. Frankrijk is het enige westerse land dat de groep rebellen in Benghazi erkend heeft.

In een toelichting gaf de adjunct-minister van Buitenlandse Zaken Khaled Kaim aan dat Frankrijk er alleen op uit is ‘om Libië te verdelen’.

De overige Europese landen hebben het voorbeeld van Frankrijk tot dusver niet gevolgd. Op een EU-top werd vandaag ook geen uitspraak gedaan over het al dan niet steunen van een no-flyzone boven Libië.

(www.nieuwsblad.be / 11.03.2011)

Libyan military forces sock key oil port

Ras Lanuf, Libya (CNN) — The military forces of Moammar Gadhafi on Friday pounded Ras Lanuf, the key oil port once in the hands of rebel forces, and its leadership confidently vowed the retake all territory from the opposition.

Pro-Gadhafi forces cranked up an intense and steady bombardment of the city, believed to be by rocket, artillery and tank fire. A refinery was hit and a storage tank is on fire. Huge plumes of thick, black smoke can be seen.

Dozens of pickup trucks and cars belonging to the opposition are heading away from the city amid fear that Libyan forces are advancing as the bombardment continues. The rebels evacuated to a checkpoint outside the town but that and other rebel positions were targeted by airstrikes.

Rebels claim the eastern city has been essentially empty as civilians fled and opposition forces retreated from sustained attacks. On Thursday, state media claimed that the town was “cleansed” of the fighters.

This reflects the turn in fortunes for Gadhafi’s well-equipped military, who have gained an upper hand after rebel fighters seized ground across Libya.

Along with its offensive in Ras Lanuf, government soldiers beat back rebels Thursday in Zawiya east of the capital, Tripoli.

Zawiya’s Martyrs’ Square was littered with the bombed-out, scorched carcasses of army tanks and other military vehicles. Workers swept up the evidence as Gadhafi supporters chanted slogans and waved green flags.

Saif al-Islam Gadhafi, one of Gadhafi’s sons and a spokesman for the regime, vowed on Thursday to retake other areas in eastern Libya that were controlled by the opposition and warned the international community that Libyans won’t welcome NATO and Americans. NATO is contemplating the establishment of a no-fly zone, but says it needs a clear U.N. mandate to do it.

“I receive hundreds of calls from the east daily and they are saying, ‘Save us.’ They are begging us and pleading for us to save them and my answer is two words. Listen to me and I want those armed groups to listen to me real well, and I want our people in the east to hear this as well: We’re coming,” he said.

Saif al-Islam Gadhafi is one of two Moammar Gadhafi sons who share the first name Saif.

On the diplomatic front, international opposition to Moammar Gadhafi has gained momentum.

The French government on Thursday recognized the newly created Libyan opposition movement as the sole representative of the country and the British foreign secretary spoke to an opposition representative over the phone.

On Friday, the Libyan ambassador to the United States and to the United Nations will call on the United States to follow France’s lead and recognize the opposition as the legitimate representative of Libya.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has announced plans to meet with opposition leaders when she visits Tunisia and Egypt next week. She said the United States was suspending relations with the Libyan Embassy in Washington, and an administration official added the embassy “must shut down.”

Protests against the 68-year-old Gadhafi began February 15 as anti-government demonstrators sought his ouster after nearly 42 years of rule, and the discontent devolved into a fierce and bloody civil war.

Death toll estimates earlier this week ranged from more than 1,000 to as many as 2,000.

As of Thursday morning, the war had forced out nearly 250,000 people, many of them poor migrant workers who have been stranded at both the Tunisian and Egyptian borders, the U.N. refugee agency said.

(www.cnn.com / 11.03.2011)

VN wacht op Arabische wereld voor no-flyzone

De VN-Veiligheidsraad wil nog niet stemmen over het instellen van een no-flyzone boven Libië. De Raad wacht op de vergadering van de Arabische Liga en de Afrikaanse Unie.

‘Er is een diepe kloof’ binnen de VN-Veiligheidsraad, geeft een Arabische diplomaat aan. China en Rusland zijn tegen een militaire interventie, al maakt Rusland een opening door te zeggen de ‘optie te onderzoeken’.

Frankrijk en Groot-Brittannië hebben een ontwerpresolutie opgesteld, maar die is nog niet verspreid onder de dertien andere leden.

‘De volgende dagen zijn heel belangrijk, want er zijn vele vergaderingen op hoog niveau binnen de Arabische Liga en de Afrikaanse Unie. We zullen zien wat het resultaat ervan zal zijn’, luidt het.

‘Ik denk dat we tegen begin volgende week zeker zullen zien wat mogelijk is en wat niet’, voorspelt de diplomaat nog.

Op 26 februari legde een VN-resolutie al een reeks sancties op aan het land, zoals een wapenembargo, een reisverbod voor Kadhafi en het bevriezen van zijn bezittingen.

(www.nieuwsblad.be / 10.03.2011)

Grieks vliegtuig haalt Nederlandse militairen op

Een vliegtuig van de Griekse luchtmacht is op weg naar Tripoli om de drie Nederlandse militairen uit Libië op te halen. Dit heeft het Griekse ministerie van Defensie donderdagavond laten weten. Vliegtuigspotters hebben gemeld dat er vanuit Nederland een Fokker-50 van de Koninklijke Luchtmacht onderweg is naar Athene. Het ministerie van Defensie wil daar niets over zeggen.

Saif al-Islam, een zoon van de Libische leider Moammar Kadhafi, zei eerder vandaag tegen het Britse persbureau Reuters dat de drie militairen worden overgedragen aan Griekse en Maltese bemiddelaars.

Niet terugkomen
‘Vandaag zullen we de Nederlandse soldaten overhandigen’, aldus de belangrijke zoon. ‘Wij hebben tegen ze gezegd: kom niet terug zonder onze toestemming. Wij hebben de eerste NAVO-soldaten gevangengenomen, wij sturen hen terug naar huis. Maar wij houden nog steeds hun helikopter.’

Het ministerie van Defensie in Den Haag kan nog niets zeggen over de mogelijke vrijlating van het drietal. Ook het ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken gaat er nog niet op in.

Evacuatie
De drie militairen zitten sinds eind februari vast in Libië nadat ze tijdens een evacuatie in de stad Sirte waren overmeesterd door een regeringsgezinde Libische militie. Ze wilden daar met een boordhelikopter van de Hr. Ms. Tromp twee evacués oppikken. Deze twee mochten het land wel verlaten.

Minister Hans Hillen van Defensie stelde maandag dat de drie Nederlanders in goede conditie verkeren en goed worden behandeld, nadat de Nederlandse ambassadeur in Libië de drie had bezocht en gesproken.

Sinds de mislukte evacuatie is de Nederlandse regering in overleg met Libië geweest. Over de aard van de gesprekken werd niets vrijgegeven, vanwege de veiligheid van de betrokken militairen.

Qatar
Staatssecretaris Ben Knapen (Buitenlandse Zaken) heeft vandaag met de premier en de minister van Buitenlandse Zaken van Qatar gesproken over de drie gevangen Nederlandse militairen in Libië. Dat zei hij tijdens het staatsbezoek van koningin Beatrix aan het emiraat. ‘Qatar kent de regio erg goed en kan dus van nut zijn.’ Verder wilde Knapen niets kwijt over de gesprekken.

Minister Rosenthal van Buitenlandse Zaken noemde het vandaag de ‘allereerste prioriteit’ de drie Nederlanders terug te krijgen.

(www.volkskrant.nl / 10.03.2011)

Nederland erkent oppositie Libië niet

Frankrijk erkent de Nationale Overgangsraad in Libië en wil ambassadeurs uitwisselen met de oppositiebeweging. Dat maakte de regering in Parijs donderdag bekend. Frankrijk is het eerste land dat is overgegaan tot erkenning van de Libische oppositie. Nederland zal de oppositie in Libië niet erkennen. Dat heeft minister van Buitenlandse Zaken Uri Rosenthal (VVD) donderdag gezegd na een informeel overleg met zijn Europese collega’s in Brussel.

Eerder op de dag liet Frankrijk weten dat het de Nationale Overgangsraad in Libië wel erkent. De Franse minister van Buitenlandse Zaken Alain Juppé dringt er bij zijn Europese collega’s op aan om in gesprek te gaan met de Libische Overgangraad. Duitsland zou al akkoord zijn gegaan met gesprekken.

Frankrijk is het eerste land dat is overgegaan tot erkenning van de Libische oppositie. Nederland gaat dit niet doen. De reden hiervoor is het feit dat de overgangsraad geen land is, maar een groepering. “Nederland erkent alleen staten, en een overgangsraad is geen staat”, licht Rosenthals woordvoerder toe. Nederland is ‘zeker niet de enige’ die er zo over denkt binnen Europa. De bewindsman was volgens de zegsman ‘verrast’ door het Franse besluit.

Ook het Europees Parlement wil dat de lidstaten overgaan tot erkenning van de Libische oppositie. Het parlement dreigt hiermee in aanvaring te komen met EU-buitenlandchef Catherine Ashton. Die zei woensdag in Straatsburg dat erkenning van de Nationale Raad een zaak is van de lidstaten.

Mochten de Verenigde Naties besluiten tot het instellen van een vliegverbod boven Libië dan zal Nederland dat ook steunen, ofschoon nog steeds drie Nederlandse militairen gevangen worden gehouden door het regime van kolonel Moammar Gadhafi.

(www.trouw.nl / 10.03.2011)

Kaddafi waarschuwt voor inmenging in Libië

TRIPOLI – De Libische leider Muammar Kaddafi heeft dinsdag gedreigd dat buitenlandse inmenging in Libië grimmige consequenties zal hebben voor de veiligheid in Noord-Amerika, Europa en het Middellandse Zeegebied. Hij zei dit tijdens een telefoongesprek met de Griekse premier George Papandreou, meldde het Libische staatspersbureau Jana.

”Griekenland is een vriend van Libië en kan deze informatie doorspelen aan de Europese Unie”, aldus Kaddafi, die Papandreou had opgebeld.

De internationale gemeenschap is druk bezig met overleg over de situatie in Libië en hoe Kaddafi moet worden aangepakt. De Amerikaanse minister van Buitenlandse Zaken, Hillary Clinton, riep de VN-lidstaten op een vliegverbod boven Libië te steunen. Een Amerikaanse delegatie sprak in het Egyptische Caïro met de Libische oppositie. (ANP/AFP)

(www.parool.nl / 08.03.2011)