Israel delivers demolition notice to Palestinian home in Hebron

Demolition notice Hebron

HEBRON (Ma’an) — Israeli authorities delivered demolition notices to one Palestinian-owned home in the Masafer Yatta area, in the south Hebron hills, in the southern West Bank district of Hebron, on Sunday.

Rateb al-Jbour, Coordinator of a local settlement against the Israeli separation wall, said that Israeli authorities delivered a demolition notice to Muhammad Yousef Abu Fanous’s home.
Al-Jbour added that the notice was delivered under the pretext of being built without the difficult-to-obtain Israeli permit.
Nearly all Palestinian applications for building permits in Area C — the more than 60 percent of the West Bank under full Israeli military control — are denied by the Israeli authorities, forcing communities to build illegally.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in the occupied Palestinian territory issued a report that the month of July recorded the highest number of Palestinian structures Israel has demolished or seized (54), and of Palestinian civilians displaced (97) in the occupied territories, since January 2017.The report said that the cumulative number of structures targeted so far in 2018 (251) has remained below the figure in the equivalent period of 2017 (286). All of the demolitions carried out during July 2018 took place under the pretext of lack of building permits.
(Source / 18.11.2018)

Israel bans renovations of Palestinian kindergarten in Hebron

Kindergarten banned

HEBRON (Ma’an) — Israeli authorities banned Hebron’s Rehabilitation Committee from renovating a Palestinian kindergarten near the Ibrahimi mosque, in the southern occupied West Bank city of Hebron, on Sunday.

The committee said that as their employees were carrying out renovation work in the kindergarten, which belongs to the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS), Israeli authorities ordered for its halt.
The committee added that Israeli authorities did not provide a reason for the ban.
Hebron’s flash-point Old City has been declared a “closed military zone” by the Israeli army since November 2015, and all non-resident Palestinians have been prevented from entering the area.Palestinians residing in the Old City were required to register under a number system following the declaration in order to pass through the 17 military checkpoints that crisscross the area.Around 800 Israeli settlers are living illegally in the area and area able to move freely unlike Palestinian residents.Despite being located in the center of Hebron city, which is under Palestinian jurisdiction, the Old City is located in an area designated as “H2” and is under full Israeli military control.
(Source / 11.11.2018)

Israeli settlers prevent entry of truckloads into Gaza

Truckloads not in Gaza

GAZA CITY (Ma’an) — Israeli settlers prevented the entry of dozens of truckloads of basic supplies and fuel, on Sunday, into the besieged Gaza Strip through the Kerem Shalom crossing.

According to local sources, dozens of Israeli settlers blocked the main road leading to Kerem Shalom crossing, Gaza’s main commercial crossing, preventing truckloads of merchandise, food, fuel, gas, and construction materials to enter Gaza.
Due to the roadbloack by Israeli settlers, hundreds of trucks still wait on the Palestinian side of the crossing, awaiting discharge of the truckloads coming from the Israeli side.
This is not the first time that Israeli settlers attempted to prevent goods from entering Gaza, during which they blocked a road leading to the Kerem Shalom crossing and demanded that the Israeli government should cancel entry of goods into Gaza, as long as the launching of incendiary kites and balloons continues.
However, Palestinians in Gaza view the incendiary kites as a form of protest against Israel’s nearly 12-year blockade of Gaza and for Palestinian refugees right of return to their homes and lands which are now known as Israel.
There are three crossings into the Gaza Strip; two are controlled by Israel and one by Egypt. The Gaza-Israel crossings are the Erez crossing in the northern Gaza Strip, that is specifically for pedestrians, and Kerem Shalom in the southern Gaza Strip for the entry of goods and fuel. The Gaza-Egypt crossing is the Rafah crossing in the southern Gaza Strip, but is often closed and lacks infrastructure for it to be a main commercial crossing.
(Source / 11.11.2018)

Detentions, injuries reported during Ras Karkar clashes

Clashes Ras Karkar

RAMALLAH (Ma’an) — Israeli forces detained three Palestinians and injured dozens of others, on Friday afternoon, during protests on the outskirts of the Ras Karkar village, in the central occupied West Bank district of Ramallah.

Locals confirmed that Israeli forces attacked and detained three Palestinians, identifying them as Firas Nasser, head of the popular action department at The Wall and Settlement Resistance Committee, Najeh Taamallah, a preacher at the local mosque and Muhammad Manthum.
Palestinian protesters and activists were performing Friday prayers on lands outside of the Ras Karkar village, which Israel has been planning on confiscating in order to build a new illegal Israeli settlement.Israeli forces attacked protesters during prayers, causing clashes to break out.Sources said that Israeli forces were deployed in Jabal al-Risan, Kafr Nimeh, Ras Karkar and Kharbatha and fired rubber-coated steel bullets, stun grenades and tear-gas bombs to suppress protesters.
Dozens of Palestinian protesters suffered from tear-gas inhalation.
Protesters called for revoking Israeli plans to confiscate lands belonging to Palestinians from Ras Karkar and surrounding villages for settlement expansion.
Sources also confirmed that among the injured was a paramedic of the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS), who sustained injuries after Israeli forces targeted the ambulance and fired rubber-coated steel bullets towards it.
(Source / 09.11.2018)

Israeli forces repeatedly assault al-Bireh Municipality employee

Abdullah Hamayel

RAMALLAH (Ma’an) — Israeli forces assaulted and injured a Palestinian staff member of the al-Bireh Municipality, late Thursday, while passing by on the road leading to the illegal Israeli settlement of Maale Mikhmas, built on the lands of Mikhmas Palestinian village, in the central occupied Ramallah district.

Israeli forces forced Abdullah Hamayel out of his vehicle, as he was dropping off workers, near the illegal Maale Mikhmas settlement, and assaulted him.
Israeli forces held Hamayel for several hours, during which he was repeatedly beaten for about 15 minutes, however, after he sustained visible injuries, Israeli forces threw him in the street and forced him to return to al-Bireh.
Medical sources reported that Hamayel sustained fractures and bruises in various areas of his body due to the violent assault by Israeli forces.
The reason for the assault remained unknown.
In the video below, Hamayel mentions details of his assault:

(Source / 09.11.2018)

Israeli forces injure at least 37 Palestinians at eastern Gaza borders

37 Pal's injured

GAZA CITY (Ma’an) — Injuries were reported among Palestinians protesting at the eastern borders of the besieged Gaza Strip, on Friday afternoon.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza confirmed that at least 37 Palestinians were injured with Israeli live ammunition, including six children, nine women and one paramedic woman.
Medical sources told Ma’an that the paramedic, Filastin Qudeih, whose first name means Palestine, was injured with a live bullet in her leg.
Spokesperson of the MOH in Gaza, Ashraf al-Qidra, said that medical crews at the European Hospital in Gaza City were treating a Palestinian, who had arrived to the hospital, with a critical neck injury.
Palestinian crowds had arrived across the eastern borders of the Gaza Strip; tires were set on fire across several areas.
Israeli forces fired live ammunition and tear-gas bombs to suppress protesters.
According to the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza, 220 Palestinians have been killed since the beginning of “The Great March of Return” on March 30th, while more than 24,000 others have been injured.
“The Great March of Return” protests were launched on by thousands of Palestinian civilians in Gaza — which has suffered from a decade-long Israeli siege — who took to the borders to demand their right of return as refugees to their original homelands, now in present-day Israel.

(Source / 09.11.2018)

Israel detained 74 minors among 511 Palestinians in October

74 minors detained oktober 2018

RAMALLAH (Ma’an) — Israeli forces detained 511 Palestinians during the month of October, including 74 minors and 15 women, three Palestinian prisoners advocacy groups confirmed in a joint statement released on Thursday.

The Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS), Addameer and the Palestinian Committee of Prisoners and Former Prisoners’ Affairs, said that Israeli forces detained 100 Palestinians from Tulkarem, 91 from occupied East Jerusalem, 75 from Hebron, 61 from Ramallah district, 45 from Nablus, 44 from Jenin, 28 from Qalqiliya, 26 from Bethlehem, 12 from the besieged Gaza Strip, 10 from Tubas, 10 from Jericho and 9 from Salfit.
The Israeli authorities also issued 73 administrative detention orders in October, 42 of them new ones, bringing the total number of Palestinians held in administrative detention to 430.
The statement added that around 6,000 Palestinians are currently imprisoned in Israeli prisons, including 52 women, one of whom is a minor, and 270 children, 50 of whom are under the age of 16 years.
(Source / 09.11.2018)

Israel issues punitive demolition order for Palestinian family

Ashraf Naawla 23

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — The Israeli army issued a punitive demolition order to the Naawla family in the Shweika village, in the northern occupied West Bank district of Tulkarem, on Tuesday.

The order to demolish the Naawla family home comes as a punitive measure for their son, Ashraf Naawla, 23, carrying out a shooting attack in the Israeli Barkan industrial area last month, in which two Israelis died and another sustained serious injuries.
An Israeli army spokesperson said that the “pre-demolition order” delivered said that the family would have to evacuate by Sunday, November 11th or submit an appeal to the Israeli Supreme Court before that.Appeals against punitive demolitions are rarely successful, even in cases in which the relatives of actual or alleged attackers have not been charged with any wrongdoing.Israeli forces are still conducting wide-scale searches for Ashraf, who fled the scene following the shooting attack.Israel always demolishes family homes of Palestinians, who were involved in attacking Israelis as part of its collective punishment policy against the Palestinian people.
Israel has come under harsh condemnation over the past several years for its response to attacks committed by Palestinians on Israelis, which rights groups have said amounted to “collective punishment” on family members and entire communities in a clear violation of international law.
(Source / 06.11.2018)

Netanyahu approves death penalty targeting Palestinian prisoners

PM Tel Aviv

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — The Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, approved passing a bill into law that allows execution of Palestinian prisoners, Hebrew-language news sites reported on Monday.Netanyahu reportedly gave the green light, on Sunday, to members of his Likud policitical party to support the law on the execution of Palestinian prisoners, a law introduced in 2017 by the Yisrael Beiteinu party, which is headed by the Israeli Defense Minister, Avigdor Lieberman.

At the time, Lieberman said that the bill would be a powerful deterrent to Palestinians, “We must not allow terrorists to know that after a murder they have committed, they will sit in prison, enjoy the conditions and may be released in the future.”

Despite that Israel currently has a law allowing death penalty, it has not been carried out since 1962 when the Jewish state executed Nazi SS officer Adolf Eichmann.However, the current law allows Israeli military courts to only hand down the death penalty if a panel of three judges impose a unanimous decision.The proposed bill would remove this condition which would allow both Israeli civilian and military courts to carry out executions against Palestinians convicted of murder. In addition, it would require military courts to carry out executions by a majority of two judges instead of full consensus by all judges.
Many Palestinian politicians and human rights activists have already denounced the bill and expressed concern that it will give Israel “legal cover to target Palestinians,” and argued that although it does not define a specific group, it is “intended mainly for the Palestinian people.”The controversial bill had previously passed its preliminary vote in January with 52 votes in favor and 49 opposing.
According to prisoners rights group Addameer, currently there are 5,640 Palestinian prisoners currently being held in Israeli prisons, of whom 465 are in administrative detention, 53 are female prisoners, 270 are child prisoners, and 50 are under the age of 16.

(Source / 05.11.2018)

4-month-old injured as Israeli settlers attack vehicle in Nablus

4-month-old baby

NABLUS (Ma’an) — A four-month-old infant was injured, on late Sunday, afterIsraeli settlers attacked her parents’ vehicle as they passed by near the illegal Israeli settlement of Havat Gilad, west of the northern occupied West Bank city of Nablus.

A Ma’an reporter confirmed that a four-month-old infant was admitted to a hospital in Nablus City, where she was treated for a head injury.The injury was reported as mild.
Reports said that Ali Shawahneh, from the Kafr Thulth village, east of the northern West Bank district of Qalqiliya, was heading home along with his family when Israeli settlers attacked their vehicle as they passed near the illegal Havat Gilad settlement.
Israeli settlers threw rocks at the vehicle, forcing Shawahneh to suddenly stop, resulting in his infant daughter’s head hitting the glass and leading to her injury.
Locals said that an Israeli military vehicle arrived to the scene to take statements from the family regarding the incident; No ambulance was called to the scene.
In October, Aisha Muhammad Talal al-Rabi, 47, a mother of eight children, from the Bidya village near Salfit in the northern occupied West Bank, was killed and her husband was injured, after Israeli settlers hurled rocks at their vehicle near the Zaatara checkpoint in Nablus, in the northern West Bank.
Palestinian towns and villages in the Nablus area are surrounded by Israeli settlements and outposts, many of which are protected by the Israeli military and have gained notoriety for being comprised of the most extremist settlers.The Palestinian government has no jurisdiction over Israelis in the West Bank, and violent acts carried out by Israeli settlers often occur in the presence of Israeli military forces who rarely act to protect Palestinian residents.The majority of settler attacks committed against Palestinians are met with impunity, with Israelis rarely facing consequences for such attacks.Only 1.9 percent of complaints submitted by Palestinians against Israeli settler attacks result in a conviction, the Israeli human rights group Yesh Din reported.
(Source / 05.11.2018)