Qatari Red Crescent carries out difficult surgery in Gaza

Qatari doctors perform ochlear implant operations on Palestinian children on 26 November 2019
Qatari doctors perform ochlear implant operations on Palestinian children in Gaza on 26 November 2019

Doctors dispatched by the Qatari Red Crescent Society to the Gaza Strip have carried out dozens of difficult surgical operations, Al-Shorouq reported on Sunday.

An example of the intricate operations carried out by the Qatari team headed by urologist Iyad Al-Roubi was the removal of an inflamed prostate from a patient who had been unable to travel for medical treatment for four years. Patient Abdul Karim Eliyan, 64, said that he will now be able to lead a normal life after the surgery.

Since December last year, Qatari doctors have carried out 182 operations and followed up 1,506 patients in the main government hospitals in the besieged Palestinian territory. The Gaza Strip is at the top of the list of priorities for the Qatari Red Crescent Society in terms of external support.

In 2019, the Society carried out 21 similar programmes related to the treatment of serious diseases.

READ: Qatar to suspend financial aid to Gaza following Israel’s annexation plan

(Source / 13.07.2020)

Far-right Jewish terror group leads hate campaign against pro-Palestine shop

An attack on pro-Palestine activists by lobby groups favouring the state of Israel took a violent turn in Canada over the weekend as the right-wing Jewish terrorist group the Jewish Defence League (JDL), took to the streets in an effort to bankrupt a Toronto food store Foodbenders and take away restaurant which has taking an anti-racist stance [@rananazzalh/Twitter]
An attack on pro-Palestine activists by lobby groups favouring the state of Israel took a violent turn in Canada over the weekend as the right-wing Jewish terrorist group the Jewish Defence League (JDL), took to the streets in an effort to bankrupt a Toronto food store Foodbenders and take away restaurant which has taking an anti-racist stance 

An attack on pro-Palestine activists by lobby groups favouring the state of Israel took a violent turn in Canada over the weekend as the right-wing Jewish terrorist group the Jewish Defence League (JDL), took to the streets in an effort to bankrupt a Toronto food store and take away restaurant which has taking an anti-racist stance.

JDL thugs, allied with some of Canada’s more mainstream pro-Israel lobby groups, took part in what was described as a “hate fest” outside Foodbenders yesterday, following threats to burn the store down. In the ugly scenes that followed, JDL supporters defaced “Palestinian Lives Matter” written on the pavement. It was, said witnessed, reminiscent of what illegal Jewish settlers do to Palestinians and their homes in the occupied West Bank.

The far-right Jewish terrorists are also reported to have painted an Israeli flag on the shop window. The Star of David was painted on the storefront.

READ: Fifteen years of BDS has united all Palestinians and their supporters

Owner Kimberly Hawkins became a target of the pro-Israel lobby for taking an anti-racist stance in her announcement about its re-opening. “Open Now – 8 PM for non-racist shoppers #Bloordale #Bloorstreet, #Toronto, #Open, #ftp [f*ck the police] #FreePalestine and #ZionistsNotWelcome,” she said in an Instagram post.

Her comments triggered a backlash from anti-Palestinian groups. In the bevy of online abuse and threats, Hawkins was called a “dirty Palestinian whore” and told that “Palestine sucks I will burn your business down” and “I hope your family gets trapped inside the restaurant when it burns”.

Although the JDL — designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Centre and accused of carrying out acts of terrorism by the FBI — appeared to have been at the forefront of the more violent intimidation, Canada’s other prominent pro-Israel groups have also been involved.

B’nai B’rith, a pro-Israel organisation that claims to be concerned about human rights, is reported to have posted dozens of tweets about Foodbenders and different ways to bankrupt it. One statement called on its supporters to, “Contact ac.otnorot@113 to request that Foodbenders have its business licence investigated. Be sure to mention section 27 of By-law No. 574-2000, which prohibits the use of a licensed business to ‘discriminate against any member of the public’ on grounds of ‘race, colour, or creed.’”

Over the past week the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) reportedly tweeted no less than 25 times about the business, which is known for supporting indigenous rights, Black Lives Matter and other social justice causes. “CIJA and associates have targeted Foodbenders’ delivery services, institutional customers, website host and social media accounts,” explained Montreal-based activist and author Yves Engler.

READ: Palestinian drive to boycott Israeli goods in Gaza

Canada’s pro-Israel groups are even said to have succeeding in getting the Prime Minister, the Premier of Ontario, the Mayor of Toronto and numerous other politicians to denounce directly or indirectly the small business that has “I love Gaza” painted on its window.

Several other anti-Palestinian groups have put out dozens of tweets supporting efforts to bankrupt Hawkins.

The Israel-based International Legal Forum is said to have filed a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario against the business owner. In what appears to be worrying signs indicating further misuse of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s definition of anti-Semitism, they are claiming that under its stipulations she should be charged with discrimination.

The IHRA controversially conflates legitimate criticism of Israel and its policies with racism against Jews.

(Source / 13.07.2020)

Israeli Troops Abduct Three Palestinians from West Bank

Israeli troops abducted, early on Sunday, two Palestinian residents from the southern West Bank district of Hebron, and one from the central district of Jerusalem.

Local Palestinian media sources reported that Israeli army invaded the Yatta village and the Al-Fawwar refugee camp of Hebron district.

They added that during both invasions, the soldiers broke into several local homes, before they arrested both Essa Abu Arram of Yatta, and Seraj Abu Hashhash, of Al-Fawwar refugee camp.

In the meantime, Israeli troops invaded some other neighborhoods of Hebron city, Ethna and Durra, where soldiers intercepted and inspected local passersby and their vehicles.

Noteworthy, Israeli military invasions and home inspections occur frequently, not only in Hebron city, but also in many other parts of the West Bank.

The Palestinian Information Center reported that the Israeli military installed impromptu barriers in various areas in Hebron (al-Khalil), depriving Palestinian citizens the right of movement.

Meanwhile, the Israeli forces aggressively stormed the Shu’fat refugee camp in occupied East Jerusalem, which was met with resistance from the local Palestinian residents.

The army broke into the home of Na’im Sab Laban, ransacked the home, and later detained the Palestinian civilian man.

No injuries were reported.

(Source / 13.07.2020)

MADA: 58 Violations Against Palestinian Media Freedoms in June

June 2020 witnessed a surge of violations against media freedoms in Palestine, most of which were committed by the Israeli authorities and its military forces, Palestinian News Network reported.

The Palestinian Center for Development & Media Freedoms “MADA” has documented a total of 58 infringements, 48 of which were committed by the Israeli occupation, while 8 violations were committed by different Palestinian factions across the West Bank and Gaza Strip, the Facebook Company committed one violation.

Israeli Violations

The Israeli forces and authorities escalated their breaches against journalists and media outlets in Palestine during the month of June, in an apparent effort to conceal the numerous peaceful Palestinian protests, across the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip.

During June, the Israeli forces committed a total of 48 violations against journalists/media outlets in Palestine, which represents a 166% increase compared to the total number of Israeli attacks documented in May 2020, which amounted to 18 infringements.

Preventing journalists from covering events, and targeting journalists to force them to stay away from events, constituted about 65% of all the Israeli violations documented during June (29).

The Israeli military shot and injured three photo-journalists with rubber-coated steel rounds and detained two journalists during the month of June.

Israel also banned journalist, Sondos Owais, from the flashpoint Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem for three months, preventing her from covering events at the holy site.

(Source / 13.07.2020)

Former Political Prisoner, Senior PFLP Member, Killed In Gaza

The Palestinian Interior Ministry in the Gaza Strip has reported that a former political prisoner was shot and stabbed to death, on Sunday evening, by several assailants near his home in the Saudi neighborhood, west of Rafah, in the southern part of the coastal region.

Eyewitnesses said unknown gunmen opened fire at Jaber al-Qeeq, 50, while walking with his sons, and that the assailants also stabbed him before fleeing the scene.

Eyad al-Bozom, the spokesperson of the Interior Ministry in Gaza, said the Palestinian was rushed to Abu Yousef an-Najjar hospital, but succumbed to his serious wounds.

Al-Bozom added that al-Qeeq was a Palestinian officer and was attacked near the main entrance of the Internal Security building, west of Rafah.

The people who attacked him were masked and riding a motorcycle before; they shot him in the head, then proceeded to stab him in the neck.

It is worth mentioning that the slain Palestinian, a senior member of the leftist Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), was serving a sentence of six life terms in Israeli prisons before he was released as part of the Oslo agreement in the mid 1990’s. His release came after he spent more than 15 years in prison.

On Monday at dawn, the Ministry of Interior and National Security in Gaza published pictures of three suspects who are believed to be behind the fatal shooting and stabbing attack, and called on anybody who has any information about their whereabouts to contact its offices; it also warned of severe punitive measures against those who aid and abet them.

The names published in the statement of the Interior Ministry are Shadi Sobhi Hamdan Soufi, 37, Fadi Sobhi Hamdan Soufi, 35, and Diab Khaled Diab ad-Dabari, 19.

Although it cannot be confirmed, reports claim that, many years ago, al-Qeeq killed another Palestinian identified as Sobhi Soufi for “being an informant working for the Israeli security,” and that the family now killed al-Qeeq as an act of vengeance; they also claim their son was not an informant, and was murdered without any justification.

On its part, Abu Ali Mustafa Brigades, the armed wing of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), issued a statement warning against “all attempts to smear the reputation of al-Qeeq, by publishing false narrative and lies to justify the crime.”

It added that the original decision made by the PFLP leadership during the first Palestinian Intifada (which started in the late 1980s) to assassinate Sobhi Soufi was an official decision, for being a collaborator with Israel, and did not carry any personal or criminal motives.

It also vowed to retaliate and to punish those responsible for al-Qeeq’s murder.

Snapshot of the statement published by Gaza’s Interior Ministry’s Facebook Page
Snapshot of the statement published by Gaza’s Interior Ministry on their official webpage

(Source / 13.07.2020)

PA extends West Bank lockdown as cases rise

Occupied West Bank (QNN)- The Palestinian Authority on Sunday announced a new series of measures to curb the sharp rise of the coronavirus cases in the West Bank.

The spokesperson for the Palestinian government, Ibrahim Melhem, announced in a press conference the formation of an operation room of the PM Muhammad Ishtayyeh, the Minister of Health, and the heads of the national security service and the police.

New restrictions were also announced during the press conference, including a weekend curfew.

“Travel will be prohibited daily from 8:00 pm (1700 GMT) to 6:00 am in all governorates,” as well as from Thursday evening to Sunday morning, Palestinian government spokesman Ibrahim Melhem told the press conference.

In the addition to the general dawn-to-dusk curfew, major cities Ramallah, Hebron, Nablus and Bethlehem, will be under total lockdown until Thursday evening, he said, while travel between districts will be banned for two weeks.

Only pharmacies and bakeries will be allowed to open.

“It is strictly forbidden to organise weddings, funerals and parties,” said Melhem, adding that Palestinians were also barred from going to work in Israeli illegal settlements.

The total number of cases in the West Bank and Jerusalem has been estimated at 5793. Two citizens died this morning from the virus, raising the toll to 39.

In the same vein, a cancer patient prisoner has been revealed to be infected with the virus amid Israeli medical negligence and deliberate disregard for the international guidelines for the care and management of COVID-19 in Israeli jails.

The Committee of Prisoners and Former Prisoners Affairs revealed on Sunday that the cancer patient prisoner Kamal Abu Wa’r (46 years old) from Qabatya, Jenin has been tested positive for Covid-19.

The committee held the Israeli authorities responsible for the life of Abu Wa’r and demanded to immediately test all patient prisoners for the virus.

(Source / 13.07.2020)

‘Israel’ killed 6 Gazans, arrested 22 in 2020’s first half

Gaza (QNN)- The Israeli army has killed six native Palestinians and arrested 22 others in Gaza since the start of 2020, revealed Al Mizan center for human rights.

The center said, “the Israeli occupation [army] killed six Palestinians in Gaza, who were not posing any threat to the soldiers’ lives, wounded 38, and arrested 22 others.”

Most murder and arrest cases took place during the Israeli targeting of Palestinian fishermen in the sea of Gaza or peaceful protesters near the border fence.

The watchdog added that “the occupation has committed systematic and grave violations of the international law against Palestinian citizens and their properties in the Gaza strip.”

It noted that the Israeli army crossed into several areas in the east and north of the besieged enclave and attacked Palestinian fishermen while they were fishing in Gaza’s sea.

The center emphasized the need to “protect Palestinians throughout the Palestinian occupied territories amid the Israeli ongoing violations.”

(Source / 13.07.2020)

Watchdogs: ‘Israel’ arrested 1363 Palestinians during the coronavirus pandemic

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- The Israeli army has arrested 2330 Palestinians during the first half of 2020, including 1363 during the coronavirus pandemic, according to a joint report by human rights watchdogs.

The report added that since the start of this year, the occupation state has arrested 304 children, 70 women, and 565 under administrative detention.

The watchdogs (the Committee of Prisoners and Former Prisoners Affairs, the Palestinian Prisoners’ Association, Addamir, and Wadi Hilweh Information Center) stated that the total number of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails has been estimated at nearly 4700 prisoners until the end of June, including 41 women, 160 children, and 365 administrative detainees.

In June only, Israeli forces arrested 469 Palestinians, including 211 from Jerusalem, 45 from Ramallah and Bireh, 33 from Hebron, 36 from Jenin, 43 from Bethlehem, 32 from Nablus, 27 from Tulkarm, 18 from Qalqilya, 11 from Tubas, 4 from Salfit, 8 from Jericho, and one from Gaza.

Most arrests took place in January with 496 arrests, while the Palestinian capital city had the highest arrests’ number with 1057 arrests, including 57 women.

(Source / 13.07.2020)

298 new coronavirus cases in the West bank in the last 24 hours

Occupied West Bank (QNN)- The Palestinian Ministry of Health announced this morning that 298 new coronavirus cases were detected during the last 24 hours in the West Bank, rising the total of active cases to 6036.

The Ministry stated that 193 cases were registered in Hebron making it the epicenter of the pandemic’s second wave. 55 were also registered in the capital city, 29 in Bethlehem, 11 in Jericho and the Jordan Valley, 3 in Nablus, one inSalfit, 2 in Ramallah, one in Tulkarm, and one in Jenin.

Five deaths were also registered during the last 24 hours, rising the death toll to 41.

On the other hand, 21 cases were recovered, 11 of which are in Bethlehem, 3 in Jenin, and 67 in Nablus.

The Palestinian Authority had announced a new series of measures to curb the sharp rise of the coronavirus cases in the West Bank.

In the addition to the general dawn-to-dusk curfew, major cities Ramallah, Hebron, Nablus and Bethlehem, were announced to be under total lockdown until Thursday evening, while travel between districts has been banned for two weeks.

(Source / 13.07.2020)

Brother of Palestinian political prisoner in US jail says his brother’s life is in danger

Seagoville,TX (QNN)- Maher Mishal, the brother of a Palestinian political prisoner in US jails, Mufid Mishal, has confirmed that his brother’s health is significantly deteriorating after being infected with coronavirus at Seagoville prison in Texas.

Maher Mishal noted that all charges against his brother are purely political, pointing out that his brother’s attorney is trying to save Mufid’s life, resorting to a legal provision in the United States Constitution that allows the release of persons who have served half their sentence and over 60 years old, stressing that all these conditions apply to his brother.

He also reported that the health condition of his brother, as well as other prisoners, is dire in light of the prison administration’s negligence and lack of medical care. He pointed out that Los Angeles state released more than 8,000 detainees, part of whom were infected with Covid-19. Wondering about the reason Why his brother and other political prisoners have not been treated likewise.

The family of Mufid Mishal had said Mishal, as well as other prisoners in Seagoville jail in Texas, who tested positive for the virus, are subjected to inhumane treatment after they tested positive for the virus. The prisoners were infected through one of the jailers.

Several human rights watchdogs (The London-based Arab Organization for Human Rights, The International Organization for Human Rights, and The Arab Lawyers Association) had called on the American authorities to immediately realize and provide medical care for Mishal.

(Source / 13.07.2020)