‘Israel is ready for a widescale military operation in Gaza’

Israeli military forces are seen near the Gaza-Israel fence on 16 November 2018 [JACK GUEZ/AFP/Getty Images]

Israeli military forces are seen near the Gaza-Israel fence on 16 November 2018 

sraeli Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said yesterday that Israel is closer to carrying out widescale military operations in Gaza than ever, Israeli media reported.

According to Quds Net News, Erdan was reported by the Israeli Public Broadcaster Kan saying: “It is not interesting to take such a decision one week before the elections, but it must be approved by the cabinet and the prime minister as soon as possible.”

His remarks came amidst tension between Israel and Palestinian resistance forces in Gaza after Israeli occupation forces killed and then used a bulldozer to drag away the body of a Palestinian man.

The Palestinian resistance subsequently launched a barrage of homemade rockets at Israel and the Israeli army launched a widescale offensive on Gaza.

Meanwhile, Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz told a local radio station that the “preparations for a war with Gaza were already completed during the last six months of the last year.”

READ: Bennett adopts new tactics to release Israeli soldiers held in Gaza

(Source / 25.02.2020) 

Israel builds new Jew-only road and steals more Palestinian land

Israeli security forces block the road and take security measures after an armed assault at Barkan industrial zone near Ariel Israeli settlement located in Salfit, West Bank on October 7, 2018 [Issam Rimawi / Anadolu Agency]

Israeli security forces block the road near Ariel Israeli settlement located in Salfit, West Bank on 7 October 2018

Israel is building yet another bypass road for use by Jewish settlers only and, yet again, it is stealing Palestinian land to do so. The land in question is in Huwwara, to the south of Nablus in the occupied West Bank.

The 7-kilometre road will start from the village of Zaatara and pass through land owned by Palestinians in Huwwara, Beita and Odala. Until now, the access route in the area has been shared by Palestinians and Jewish settlers — whose presence is illegal under international law — who often use it to raid and terrorise the residents of the local villages.

Since the Israeli government decided to build the road last April, it has led to the seizure of more than 40 hectares of land from the surrounding Palestinian villages. According to Ghassan Daghlas, a Palestinian official in charge of the settlements file in the northern West Bank, Israeli bulldozers have been razing everything on the land near a military checkpoint outside Huwwara.

The plans for the bypass of the village have been in the pipeline for years, although local activist Ghassan Najjar insists that the locals have been kept in the dark until a few days ago.

READ: Israel committee to discuss settlement expansion 

A 2019 report from settlement watchdog Peace Now said that the bypass is intended to serve four settlements — Yitzhar, Itamar, Har Brakha and Elon Moreh — which are home to a total of 7,132 settlers.

According to organisation, the construction of bypass roads under the pretext of security is a “tactical” way of masking the real goal behind these roads, which is “To expand the settlements and to advance plans for annexing the West Bank at the cost of a two-state solution.”

Despite the increase of such illegal developments, settlers from the right-wing group Regavim, which campaigns for the demolition of Palestinian villages, last night placed signs at 33 different points across the occupied West Bank reading, “Stop! You are entering the State of Palestine”. The locations seem to have been chosen based upon the Trump “peace plan”.

Knesset speaker: Next government will annex West Bank territory

Representatives of Regavim complained that Trump’s “deal of the century” will allow “Route 60, the central route in Judea and Samaria [the occupied West Bank] that links communities to Jerusalem, to be transferred almost entirely to the Palestinians.” It also warned that this “is a catastrophe and must not be accepted,” reported Israeli news site Arutz Sheva.

“This is just another case of Israel stealing Palestinian land in order to benefit the settlers,” added Najjar. “It’s plain and simple.” With the construction of the new bypass, he anticipates that the security situation for Palestinians could actually get worse.

(Source / 25.02.2020) 

Israeli Airstrike Injures Palestinian Motorcycle Driver

A Palestinian citizen was injured, Monday evening, in an airstrike by Israeli occupation planes targeting his motorbike, east of Gaza City.

WAFA correspondent, quoting medical sources, stated that the occupation planes targeted, with at least one missile, a motorcycle on Salah El-Din Street, east of the city, which resulted in one injured Palestinian civilian.

Tensions have been running high in the besieged Gaza Strip since Sunday, when Israeli forces killed a Palestinian resistance member and desecrated the slain man’s body, also injuring several Palestinians that were attempting to rescue the body.

(Source / 25.02.2020) 

Today Marks 26 Years For The Ibrahimi Mosque Massacre

HEBRON, Tuesday, February 25, 2020 (The Palestinian News & Info Agency – WAFA) – Twenty-six years ago, on February 25, 1994, a Jewish settler named Baruch Goldstein, an Israeli army physician, opened indiscriminate fire from his army-issued automatic rifle at hundreds of Muslims as they were performing the dawn prayer on a Ramadan day at the Ibrahimi Mosque in southern West Bank city of Hebron.

After several minutes of shooting, 29 worshippers were killed and 150 others were wounded before people were able to overcome the murderer and end his life.

As if this was not enough, Israeli soldiers on that day killed an additional 21 Palestinians who took to the streets in the occupied territories to protest the massacre in Hebron.

Instead of taking action against the extremist settlers in Hebron, particularly in the illegal Kiryat Arba settlement in Hebron where Goldstein lives, by removing them from Hebron, the Israeli authorities punished the victims, the Palestinians.

The mosque was closed for six months after the incident to be opened divided between Muslims and Jews when for centuries it was a purely Muslim worship place.

|Remembering the Ibrahimi Mosque MassacreInternational Solidarity Movement (ISM)

At the same time, Palestinians in areas in the heart of Hebron where settlers had set up illegal bases were restricted in movement and shops were forced to shut down. Entire streets became off to Palestinians where Jewish settlers were allowed to roam them freely and under heavy army protection.

This situation is continuing until today, and it has even become worse.

(Source / 25.02.2020) 

Updated: “Soldiers Abduct 28 Palestinians, Including Children, Former Political Prisoners, In West Bank”

The Palestinian Prisoners Society (PPS) has reported that Israeli soldiers abducted, Tuesday, twenty-eight Palestinians, including children, siblings, and a young woman, from their homes in several parts of the occupied West Bank.

The PPS said the soldiers abducted sixteen Palestinians from their homes in Hebron governorate, in southern West Bank.

It added that the soldiers also abducted a father and his son from their home in Ramallah, in central West Bank, and a young female university student.

The abducted Palestinians have been identified as:

  1. Leen Akef Awad, 22, Hebron.
  2. Sameh Abdullah Abu Sneina, Hebron.
  3. Waseem Abdul-Hafith al-Jamal, Hebron.
  4. Wisam Abdul-Hafith al-Jamal, Hebron.
  5. Islam Kathem az-Zeer, Hebron.
  6. Wasim Kathem az-Zeer, Hebron.
  7. Nour Maher Tmeizi, 27, Hebron.
  8. Monther Nayef Tmeizi, 30, Hebron.
  9. Mo’tasem Ziyad Rajoub, Hebron.
  10. Tamer Majed Shadeed, Hebron.
  11. Mohammad Abu Dabbous, Hebron.
  12. Husam Abu Hussein, Hebron.
  13. Hussein Abu Hussein, Hebron.
  14. Wasim Ziad al-Jamal, Hebron.
  15. Hamza Khader Abdul-Wahab, Hebron.
  16. Bilal Khader Abdul-Wahab, 17, Hebron.
  17. Kamal Ayyash, Ramallah.
  18. Hakam Kamal Ayyash, 27, Ramallah.
  19. Zoheir Dweikat, Nablus.
  20. Abu Ali Shawwa, Nablus.
  21. Morad Hmeidan, Nablus.
  22. Morad Hmeidan, Nablus.
  23. Hussein Ibrahim Eshteiwi, Nablus.
  24. Mohammad Jamal Sabarini, 26, Nablus.
  25. Jibril Mohammad Zobeidi, Jenin.
  26. Odai al-Lowzi, Qalandia refugee camp, Jerusalem.
  27. Khaled Sharif, Jerusalem.
  28. Abada Najeeb, Jerusalem.

Updated From:
Israeli Soldiers Abduct Twenty Palestinians In West Bank
Feb 25, 2020 at 14:49

Israeli soldiers abducted, on Tuesday at dawn, twenty-three Palestinians, including a young woman, university students, siblings, and former political prisoners, from their homes in several parts of the occupied West Bank, especially in the governorates of Hebron, Nablus, Ramallah, Jerusalem, Jenin, and Tulkarem.

The Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) said the soldiers invaded and ransacked dozens of homes across the West Bank, causing serious property damage, and interrogated scores of residents while inspecting their ID cards.

In Hebron, in southern West Bank, the soldiers abducted twelve Palestinians, including a young woman, identified as Leen Akef Awad, who is a student of the Polytechnic University, from Beit Ummar town, north of the city.

The soldiers also abducted Sameh Abu Sneina, and two siblings, identified as Wasim and Wisam Abdul-Hafith al-Jamal, in addition to Wasim Zeidan al-Jamal, Husam Abu Hussein, Islam and Wasim Kathem az-Zeer, Hussein Ali Abu Hussein, from Hebron city.

Furthermore, the soldiers abducted Tamer Majed Shadeed and Mo’tasem Ziad Rajoub, from Doura town, southwest of Hebron, and Mohammad Sa’adi Abu Dabbous, from Tarqoumia town, west of Hebron.

Besides ransacking dozens of homes while searching them in Hebron governorate, the soldiers also installed many roadblocks, before stopping and searching dozens of cars, and interrogated the residents while inspecting their ID cards.

In Tulkarem, in northern West Bank, the soldiers abducted Mohammad Jamal Sabarini, 26, from Thannaba area, in addition to Samed Amer Omar, 18, from Far’un town, south of the city.

In Nablus, also in northern West Bank, the soldiers abducted Zoheir Dweikat, Abu Ali Shawwa, and Morad Hmeidan, from Balata refugee camp, in addition to Hussein Ibrahim Eshteiwi, from Askar refugee camp.

In Jenin, in northern West Bank, the soldiers stormed the home of a former political prisoner, identified as Jibril Mohammad Zobeidi, in Jenin refugee camp, and abducted him.

The soldiers also abducted Mustafa Rashed Abu Ar-Rob and Mohammad As’ad Abu Ar-Rob, from Qabatia town, south of Jenin, in addition to Mohammad Fakhri al-Atrash, from Kafr Ra’ey town.

The soldiers fired many gas bombs and concussion grenades at Palestinians protesting the invasions into the two towns.

In Ramallah, the soldiers abducted a student at Birzeit University, identified as Odai al-Lowzi, from his home in Qalandia refugee camp.

(Source / 25.02.2020) 

WHO SAYS ZERO CASES OF CORONAVIRUS IN PALESTINE, BUT RISK IS HIGH

Jerusalem (QNN) – The World Health Organization (WHO) said today that while there are zero cases of coronavirus in the occupied Palestinian territories, the risk, nevertheless, remains high.

In an report quoted by Palestinian news agency WAFA, WHO said that while 87 cases of coronavirus were reported in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: 61 cases in Iran (including 12 deaths), 13 cases in UAE, 5 in Kuwait, 2 in Bahrain, 2 in Oman, 1 in Afghanistan, 1 in Lebanon, 1 in Iraq, 1 in Egypt, and 2 in Israel, no confirmed cases of COVID-19 were registered in the occupied Palestinian territory as reported by the Palestinian Ministry of Health (MoH).

A coordination meeting between the MoH, International Committee of the Red Cross, International Federation of Red Cross and Palestine Red Crescent Society facilitated by WHO was held yesterday in Ramallah during which the parties agreed on strengthening coordination efforts in management and transportation of potential cases as well as those who are placed in quarantine and working jointly to improve public awareness on COVID-19.

WHO Head of office, Gerald Rockenschaub, also co-chaired an inter-agency Covid-19 preparedness meeting with the Palestinian Authority’s Minister of Health Mai Al-Kaila in Ramallah on Sunday attended by representatives of internal affairs, military services, religious affairs during which they discussed the level of preparedness measures, recent updates from the Health Ministry and other ministries and agreed on a set of additional priority preparedness actions for the West Bank and Gaza, said the report.

Regarding Gaza, WHO said it is supporting the review of Gaza preparedness measures with local authorities and partners this week.

(Source / 25.02.2020) 

FRAGILE CEASEFIRE HOLDS BETWEEN RESISTANCE FACTIONS, ‘ISRAEL’

Gaza (QNN)- A ceasefire between the Palestinian resistance factions in Gaza and the occupation state of Israel is holding after two days of fire exchange.

Following Egyptian and international mediation, the truce came into effect at 11:30pm (20:30 GMT) on Monday, Ihsan Ataya, a senior Islamic Jihad leader based in Lebanon, said in a press statement.

The resistance had on Monday announced a ceasefire to give mediation a chance. The Israelis immediately approved on the ceasefire.

During two days of fighting, Israeli warplanes bombed dozens of targets in the Gaza strip, including civilian targets. The resistance responded with heavy missile fire at surrounding Israeli settlements.

The escalation resulted in at least four injuries among Palestinians.

The escalation began after Israeli soldiers on Sunday shot dead Mohammed al-Naim in Khan Yunis, Gaza.

In a graphic video that went viral, an Israeli bulldozer mutilated al-Naim’s body and held its remains to use it as a bargaining chip in any future prisoners exchange.

Islamic Jihad responded by firing a barrage of rockets and mortar rounds at the occupied land, which started a fire exchange.

(Source / 25.02.2020) 

Extremist Israeli settler kills 29 as he opens fire at Palestinian worshipers in West Bank

Israeli occupation forces killed 21 other Palestinians as they protested against the brutal massacre

Twenty-six years ago, on February 25, 1994, extremist Israeli Jewish settler opened fire at hundreds of Palestinian worshipers at Al Ibrahimi Mosque in West Bank city of Al Khalil, killing 29 and wounding 150 others.

Baruch Goldstein, who was an army physician, broke into Al Ibrahimi Mosque while the Palestinian worshipers were performing the dawn prayer in Ramadan.

After several minutes of shooting, 29 worshippers were killed and 150 others were wounded before people were able to overcome the murderer and end his life.

As if this was not enough, Israeli soldiers on that day killed an additional 21 Palestinians who took to the streets in the occupied territories to protest the massacre.

Instead of taking action against the extremist settlers in the occupied city, particularly in the illegal Kiryat Arba settlement in Al Khalil, where Goldstein lived, by removing them, the Israeli occupation punished the victims, the Palestinians.

The mosque was closed for six months after the massacre to be opened divided between Muslims and Jews when for centuries it was a purely Muslim worship place.

At the same time, Palestinians in areas in the heart of Al Khalil, where settlers had set up illegal bases, were restricted in movement and shops were forced to shut down.

Entire streets became off to Palestinians where Jewish settlers were allowed to roam them freely and under heavy army protection.

This situation is continuing until today, and it has even become worse.

(Source / 25.02.2020) 

UN envoy: Gaza endures ‘continuous health disaster

The Gaza Strip has been under a strict Israeli siege for over 14 years

UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Nickolay Mladenov told the UN Security Council that the besieged Gaza Strip is enduring “continuous health disaster.”

In a statement, a copy of which sent to Palestine Post 24, Mladenov’s media officer Murad Bakri said that the UN envoy yesterday briefed the UN Security Council about the situation in the occupied Palestinian territories.

“Amongst our many humanitarian concerns,” Mladenov said, “today, I must highlight the ongoing health disaster in the Gaza Strip.”

“According to local interlocutors, as of the end of January, stock levels for 46 per cent of essential medicines have been completely depleted.”

The UN envoy added: “On 18 February the IDF [Israeli occupation army] enabled a shipment of medicines [sent from West Bank] worth some NIS 4 million ($1.2 million) to enter Gaza. This shipment will somewhat alleviate the dire situation.”

“However, I take this opportunity to encourage the Palestinian Government to work with the UN and to increase its efforts to help resolve Gaza’s ongoing health crisis.”

The Gaza Strip has been under a strict Israeli siege for over 14 years.

(Source / 25.02.2020) 

Israeli Forces Kidnap A Palestinian Student From Hebron

Lyan Awad

Lyan Awad

Israeli occupation forces on Tuesday at dawn hours kidnapped a Palestinian student from Hebron.

Local sources said that the Israeli forces detained the university student identified as Lyan Awad from Hebron city in the occupied West Bank.

They mentioned that she is a Polytechnic University student.

In the West Bank, military operations by Israeli security forces and attacks by Israeli settlers harmed Palestinian students, education personnel, schools, and universities.

The Israeli occupation continues its direct violation of the sanctity of universities and a blatant attack on the right to education, guaranteed by all international laws and conventions.

(Source / 25.02.2020)