Israeli airstrikes target northern Gaza Strip

Palestinians inspect a water well after Israeli warplanes carried out an airstrike over Rafah, Gaza on January 31, 2020 [Ali Jadallah / Anadolu Agency]

Palestinians inspect a water well after Israeli warplanes carried out an airstrike over Rafah, Gaza on January 31, 2020

Israel carried out airstrikes in the north of the Gaza Strip early Sunday, reported Anadolu Agency.

An Anadolu Agency correspondent reported Israeli jets targeted several points in Beit Lahia.

No casualties were reported by the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza.

The Israeli army said it hit structures belonging to the military wing of Hamas.

The airstrikes, the army claimed, were in response to rockets allegedly launched from Gaza toward Israel on Saturday.

No further information was provided on the rocket fire and no one has yet claimed responsibility.

(Source / 02.02.2020) 

Palestine PM: ‘I will not go down in history as someone who gives up on Jerusalem’

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas holds a press conference at the Presidency Building in Ramallah, West Bank on 3 July, 2019 [Issam Rimawi/Anadolu Agency]

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas holds a press conference at the Presidency Building in Ramallah, West Bank on 3 July, 2019

The Palestinian president rejected on Saturday the US’ so-called peace plan in the Middle East, saying Palestine had cut all relations with the US and Israel.

In an emergency meeting of the Arab League in Cairo, Mahmoud Abbas said:

I reject the so-called ‘Deal of Century’ and I will not go down in history as someone who vends or gives up on Jerusalem.

The US is “no longer a friendly country for Palestine,” Abbas said, adding: “I also refused to talk to Trump.”

Abbas announced during his speech that Palestine had cut all relations with the US and Israel, including security ties. In 2014, Abbas described the PA’s security coordination with Israel as “sacred”. Over the years, though, he has threatened repeatedly to end this collaboration with Israel, usually when the PA’s funding is being threatened. Despite this, he has remained true to his 2014 speech, and security coordination between the PA and Israel remained steadfast.

He emphasised that he rejected the plan outright once he learned it would allow Israel to annex Jerusalem.

Abbas said the Palestinian Liberation Organisation (PLO) recognised Israel since 1988 and that in return, Israel’s former Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin accepted the PLO as the legitimate representative of Palestine. That recognition paved the way for the historic 1995 Oslo Accords, which the Palestinians have also ‘cancelled’.

Read: Palestine cancels 1995 Oslo Accords signed with Israel

He asserted that Trump was unaware of the plan’s contents as it was his son-in-law and consultant Jared Kushner who had prepared it, adding that the plan allowed immediate implementation by Israel, but that Palestine would have been allowed to exercise its rights under the proposed deal only four years later.

“We had previously accepted the establishment of a Palestinian state in the 22% of Palestine’s historical land and now they demand 30% of this remaining region,” Abbas said.

He noted that though he had met Trump four times and successive US delegations had visited Palestine 37 times, none of these negotiations had yielded results.

Secretary-General of Arab League Ahmed Aboul Gheit (L), Secretary-General of Palestine Liberation Organisation's (PLO) Executive Committee, Saeb Erekat (2nd L), Palestinian President, Mahmoud Abbas (C) and Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohamed Ali Alhakim (2nd R) attend an Arab League Foreign Ministers' extraordinary meeting on US President Donald Trump’s so-called Middle East peace plan in Cairo, Egypt on February 1, 2020 [Thaer Ghanaim / Palestinian Presidency / Handout - Anadolu Agency]

Arab League Response

The Arab League foreign ministers meeting in Cairo said the plan did not meet the minimum aspirations of Palestinians, and that the League would not cooperate with the United States in implementing it.

The ministers affirmed Palestinian rights to create a future state based on the land captured and occupied by Israel in the 1967 Middle East war, with East Jerusalem as capital, the final communique said.

Foreign ministers from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, three close US allies, as well as Iraq, Lebanon and others said there could be no peace without recognising Palestinian rights to establish a state within the pre-1967 territories.

After Trump unveiled his plan, some Arab powers had appeared, despite historic support for the Palestinians, to prioritise close ties with the United States and a shared hostility towards Iran over traditional Arab alliances.

Three Gulf Arab states – Oman, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates – attended the White House gathering where Trump announced his plan alongside Netanyahu.

Erdogan: Evil will arrive at Kaaba if Arab, Muslim countries remain silent

Trump on Tuesday announced his so-called plan to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict at the White House alongside Netanyahu, with no Palestinian officials present.

During the event, Trump referred to Jerusalem as “Israel’s undivided capital.”

The so-called “Deal of the Century” unilaterally annuls previous UN resolutions on the Palestinian issue and suggests giving Israel almost everything they have been demanding. The United Nations have since rejected Trump’s peace plan.

On Friday Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, slammed Arab and Muslim leaders for accepting or remaining silent on the issue of the US “deal of the century”.

Also on Friday, Former US president Jimmy Carter  announced that the Trump’s deal breaches international law.

Jimmy Carter: Trump deal breaches international law

Mahmoud Abbas turns a blind eye on Gaza's blockade - Cartoon [Latuff/MiddleEastMonitor]

(Source / 02.02.2020) 

Soldiers Shoot A Journalist In Hebron

Israeli soldiers attacked, Sunday, dozens of Palestinian protesters with live rounds, rubber-coated steel bullets, gas bombs and concussion grenades, wounding one journalist in the head, and causing many residents to suffer the effects of teargas inhalation.

Media sources said the soldiers attacked dozens of students of Hebron University, by firing many live rounds and rubber-coated steel bullets, in addition to a barrage of gas bombs.

The students were marching against the ongoing illegal Israeli occupation of Palestine and the so-called “Deal of the Century.”

They added that one journalist, identified as Abdul-Mohsin Shalalda, 27, was shot with a rubber-coated steel bullet in the head, and was rushed to the Al-Ahli Hospital in Hebron city.

Medical sources said the journalist suffered a fracture in his skull, and that he is currently in a stable condition.

They added that many Palestinians suffered the effects of teargas inhalation and received the needed treatment.

(Source / 02.02.2020) 

PPS: “Israeli Soldiers Abduct Ten Palestinians, Including Father And Son, In West Bank”

The Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) has reported that Israeli soldiers abducted, on Sunday at dawn, ten Palestinians, including two children, in addition to a father and his son, from their homes in several parts of the occupied West Bank.

The PPS said the soldiers stormed and ransacked many homes across the West Bank, and interrogated several Palestinians while inspecting their ID cards.

The PPS office in Hebron, in southern West Bank, said the soldiers abducted Mohammad Jihad Sabarna, 15, and Mohammad Masalma, 17, from their homes.

The soldiers also invaded Azzoun town, east of Qalqilia, searched homes and abducted Adam Badwan, 58, in addition to his son, Mahmoud, 28.

In Ramallah, in central West Bank, the soldiers abducted Ala’eddin Ghaleb Esdoody, 43, from his home in Beit Rima town, northwest of the city.

In occupied Jerusalem, the soldiers abducted Shadi Mohammad Somrain, 44, and Ibrahim Khader Somrain, 54, from their homes in Silwan town.

The soldiers also abducted a civilian guard of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, identified as Mahmoud Khaled Sharifa, 21, from Jerusalem’s Old City.

(Source / 02.02.2020) 

LABOUR’S FABRICATED ANTI-SEMITISM CRISIS IS BEING REPLICATED IN AMERICA

By Asa Winstanley

As far as Zionist lobby groups are concerned, the verdict has finally sunk in: they defeated Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn. According to one of them at least; the hard-right, anti-Palestinian group misnamed the “Campaign Against Antisemitism” [sic].

Last month one of the group’s leaders posted an utterly bizarre video online in which he claimed responsibility for the electoral defeat of Corbyn at December’s General Election in Britain. “The beast is slain,” he ranted gleefully. He and his team had “slaughtered” Corbyn. “We defeated him… They tried to kill us [but]… we won.”

More than four years’ worth of smears, lies, sabotage and defamation worked. The “Labour anti-Semitism crisis” finally cut through to mainstream voters in a way that other defamatory media campaigns did not. The fabrication that Labour had “a problem with anti-Semitism” contributed hugely to the perception that Corbyn was an “extremist”. This, in turn, led to the de-legitimisation of the veteran anti-racism campaigner in the eyes of many of older, working-class Labour voters. Second, only to the Brexit issue, this is the reason why so many of them voted Tory in the election or stayed away from the polling booths altogether.

More importantly, the interminable campaign against Corbyn divided and weakened the grassroots left-wing movement, demoralising some of Corbyn’s biggest supporters. Indeed, many were suspended, expelled or pushed out of the party altogether.

Having successfully sabotaged the largest radical grassroots movement this country has seen within living memory, the pro-Israel lobby groups are on a high. What’s more, they are now in the early stages of a major new offensive linked to the US presidential elections, against Democrat Bernie Sanders, another popular socialist candidate.

We’ve seen this before. Last year Republicans united with the Democratic Party establishment to jointly smear left-wing, pro-Palestinian lawmaker Ilhan Omar. Omar is a Muslim woman, and much of the abuse was openly racist and Islamophobic. The Democrats joined in with the lie that Omar was “anti-Semitic”.

So far, Sanders has stood with Omar. It is to be hoped that he stands his ground on this, because it is vital to his own political survival, mainly because of the fact that Bernie Sanders is himself Jewish. There are too many on the American left who are, I believe, complaisant about the potential for such smears to do serious and quite possibly fatal damage to the movement.

The number one reason for the successes of both Jeremy Corbyn and Bernie Sanders has been the popular movements behind each one. Corbyn’s best slogan was “For the many, not the few”. Sanders’ current tag line is “Not me. Us”. It is about people power.

Solidarity is the simple secret ingredient that got Corbyn so close to No. 10 in 2017. It is that same principle that means Sanders now leads many polls in the Democratic primary and is way ahead of the pack in polls for the first selection caucus in Iowa on Monday. It is a movement.

If you want to undermine a popular movement, how do you go about it? Divide and rule. Spread false rumours, internal dissent, mutual recriminations and denunciations. Result? Demoralisation.

It is not a strategy that can work overnight, but it can work when sustained over a lengthy period. As Corbyn’s case shows, it does work.

Do not underestimate the dedication and extreme commitment of the Zionist movement, and the pro-Israel lobby in general. They are in it for the long haul and will carry on to the bitter end.

Listen to the words of Alan Dershowitz, “Israel’s lawyer”, torture fan and (latterly) a major fan of Trump’s racism. In a recent interview with Larry King, Dershowitz equivocated about whether or not he would vote for Trump. Who he would definitely not vote for, he said, and would actively campaign against, was one person: Bernie Sanders. His reason? “He tolerates anti-Semitism among the hard left in the Democratic Party,” he claimed falsely. “The man went to England and endorsed Jeremy Corbyn.”

The clever lie that he is not personally anti-Semitic, but “tolerates” anti-Semitism was exactly how the “crisis” against Corbyn began. Over the course of four years, this morphed and evolved into open lies that he is personally anti-Semitic.

Do not imagine for a moment that just because Sanders is Jewish the pro-Israel lobbyists will not try the same lies against him. They will, and they cannot be ignored. They must be fought.

The real reason for Dershowitz’s opposition, of course, is that Sanders has made some very mild (and in my view overly timid) statements about US military aid to Israel possibly being up for revision in the future. This is why a relatively new pro-Israel lobby astroturfing group called “Democratic Majority for Israel” just spent almost $700,000 on a campaign ad against Sanders in Iowa, ahead of the crucial vote there on Monday. The ad despicably questions his health, and claims falsely that he is not “electable”.

Thankfully, for now, the Sanders campaign is fighting back. They condemned it, and it even seems to have backfired, resulting in a major boost to donations to him from his supporters.

The ad did not mention “anti-Semitism” or that Sanders supposedly “tolerates” anti-Semitism. But as sure as night follows day, you can be certain that that particular attack line is coming, especially if Sanders secures the Democratic nomination, or it begins to look inevitable, as I expect and hope him to do after Monday. When the attacks do come, it is vital that Sanders and his campaign refuse to make even the slightest concession to any of these false, malicious and disgusting attacks.

The left still does not understand: the pro-Israel lobby will stop at nothing. Do not underestimate the ability of the lobby groups to sustain a long campaign over the next few years. They did it in Britain and they can certainly do it in the US. They can be beaten, but only with the political will to fight back aggressively.

(Source / 02.02.2020)

IN VIDEO | RETALIATION MISSILE HITS SETTLEMENT DURING VISIT BY GANTZ

Gaza (QNN)- A retaliation missile fired from the Gaza strip on Saturday struck a settlement near Gaza during a visit by Blue and White chairman Benny Gantz.

Israeli media stated that one missile was fired from Gaza at the settlement of Nahal Oz to the east of the Gaza Strip. Sirens sounded in different areas.

Israeli media stated that the former minister of war and current leader of Blue and White party was visiting one of the settlements near Gaza when the resistance retaliated.

The Israelis continued over the past two days to target locations in the besieged strip on a daily basis. The resistance retaliated striking settlements and military sites with mortar shells.

https://www.facebook.com/QudsNen/videos/164896464800991/


(Source / 02.02.2020) 

MOTHER OF HEART PATIENT IMPRISONED CHILD URGES INTL INSTITUTIONS TO SAVE HER SON’S LIFE

Occupied Jerusalem (QNN)- The child prisoner Muhammad Abdel Jaber (17 years old), from Hizma in occupied Jerusalem, has been living continued suffering due to his heart disease and Israeli deliberate medical negligence.

Muhammad is held in the Damon jail in inhumane conditions although he suffers from valvulitis. The Israelis deny him medical treatment and suitable food, according to the Palestinian Prisoners’ Club.

Israeli forces arrested the child on March 26th, 2019. His mother said that he looked pale and exhausted when she saw him during his court session last Wednesday.

She added that she could not check up on his health as the Israelis prevented her from talking to him.

She urged “all competent bodies and the Red Cross to urgently intervene in order to save the lives of her child and other child prisoners, who have been subjected to deliberate systematic assaults” by the Israelis.

The occupation state holds nearly 200 Palestinian children in its jails. Reports and witnesses revealed that they are subjected to torture and they are held in inhumane conditions.

(Source/ 02.02.2020) 

‘ISRAEL’ PREVENTS WOUNDED IMPRISONED MOTHER FROM SEEING HER CHILDREN

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- The Committee of Prisoners and Former Prisoners said Sunday that the Israeli Prison Service has been denying Suheir Isleimiyyeh family visits ever since she was arrested on October 30, 2019.

The committee noted that Isleimiyyeh suffers from severe pains due to her injury. She was shot by Israeli soldiers in her shoulder during the arrest.

Isleimiyyeh, a mother of two children, lost the ability to use her wounded arm and she suffers from stomachache and vomiting. The Israelis continue to deny her medical treatment, giving her only pain killers. She was intentionally subjected to medical negligence before when she was transferred to the clinic of the Ramleh jail, causing her health condition to deteriorate.

The Israelis prevented her from seeing her children and husband in addition to any of her family members. The only way for them to communicate is through lawyers’ visits.

Israeli soldiers arrested Isleimiyyeh at the Ibrahimi mosque in occupied Hebron after shooting her at close range. She was left bleeding as medical teams were prevented from reaching her for several hours before she was taken to Shaare Zedek hospital in occupied Jerusalem.

(Source / 02.02.2020) 

Israeli Forces Take Fingerprints Of Students Near Bethlehem

Photos File

Photos File

Israeli occupation forces on Sunday briefly detained a number of school students in the village of Taqu, near Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank, and recorded their fingerprints using a manual device.

Morad Abu Mufarreh, a teacher, said that soldiers stopped a group of students while on their way to school and asked them to print their fingerprints on the device.

The procedure followed days of clashes in the village as well as in other areas of the occupied region between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops, in the aftermath of the US President Donald Trump’s unveiling of the “deal of the century” plan, perceived to prejudice the political and historical rights of the Palestinian people in favor of Israel.

(Source / 02.02.2020) 

Settlers Attack, Injure Civilians In Hebron

Photos File

Photos File

Illegal Jewish settlers last night assaulted and lightly injured a Palestinian family while they were in their vehicle in the neighborhood of Tel Rumeida in Hebron city, south of the West Bank. 

Said that armed settlers from the Jewish-only settlement on Ramat Yishai, illegally built in the heart of Hebron, attacked Mr. Mohammad Taysir Nayrukh, 55, and his family while they were in their vehicle in their way to hospital. He said Nayrukh and his children were terribly terrified and sustained bruises from beating by the settlers.

A few hours before the attack occurred, gangs of rampaging Jewish settlers with an army escort broke into the neighborhood and threatened the local Palestinian citizens of deporting them from their homes.

Some 800 notorious Jewish settlers live in the Israeli-controlled section of Hebron, known as H2, among over 20,000 Palestinians.

Harassment of Palestinians in that area is a daily occurrence, particularly following the departure of the international monitoring team, the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), in February 2019 after Israel refused to extend the team’s mandate.

(Source / 02.02.2020)