Israel Police escalate raid and arrests in Issawiya despite protests

Israeli police officers arrest a Palestinian youth Issawiya, Jerusalem, 4 January 2017 [Mahfouz Abu Turk/Apaimages]

Israeli police officers arrest a Palestinian youth in Issawiya, Jerusalem, 4 January 2017

Israeli occupation forces have escalated their arrest raids in Issawiya, occupied East Jerusalem, in the face of continued protests at months of violence and harassment, reported Haaretz.

Yesterday, the paper reported, Israeli police officers arrested 12 Palestinian residents, including children, during a pre-dawn raid that followed on from a similar operation last week, which saw 15 arrested – all of whom were subsequently released.

Sources in Issawiya say that some 600 people have been arrested in total, since Israeli forces escalated their raids in the community around six months ago. Yet only a tiny number of those detained have been indicted for offenses like stone-throwing; just 20 so far, or three per cent.

“We’re fed up with arrests based on intelligence tips,” said lawyer Mohammad Mahmoud, who has represented many of the detainees. “Last week, many people were arrested and released. It’s a lottery system.”

READ: Jerusalemites protest against continuous Israel ‘aggression’

According to Haaretz, “the stepped-up enforcement campaign means that police are present in the neighbourhood in force almost every day, patrolling, setting up checkpoints and laying ambushes.” Then, in the evening, local youth confront the police leading to clashes.

On Sunday, Israeli forces raided the heart of Issawiya “just as students were leaving school”, in violation of “an understanding reached two weeks ago with school principals”.

On Saturday, meanwhile, dozens of Jewish Israelis demonstrated near the home of Jerusalem Mayor Moshe Leon “to protest his failure to intervene in the confrontation”. Some city council members have also urged action from the authorities.

Laura Wharton and Yossi Havilio wrote to Jerusalem police chief Doron Yedid that “judging by the complaints we have received, it seems as if the police are ‘going after’ Issawiya residents and engaging in aggressive enforcement beyond the requisite vital needs”.

“Their claim is that police patrols in the village are increasing the friction between the police and the residents. This leads to additional police activity, which further inflames tempers, and so on.”

READ: Israel Police ‘severely escalate’ operation in Issawiya

(Source / 26.11.2019) 

Qatari doctors in Gaza to carry out cochlear implant ops for children

Qatari doctors perform ochlear implant operations on Palestinian children on 26 November 2019

Qatari doctors perform ochlear implant operations on Palestinian children in Gaza on 26 November 2019

A medical delegation from Qatar arrived in the Gaza Strip on Monday to carry out cochlear implant operations on 14 Palestinian children with hearing impairments. According to the Director of Hamad Hospital for Artificial Limbs in Gaza, Dr Raafat Lubbad, the Qatari team includes specialists from Hamad Medical Institution in Qatar.

In addition to carrying out the operations, Lubbad explained, the visiting doctors will train their Palestinian counterparts in the cochlear implant procedure. He pointed out that Palestinian doctors had received training during previous visits by specialists from Qatar. Palestinian Consultant Mohammed Murad, for example, has started to carry out such operations and training others qualitatively.

Dr Lubbad said that all of the children having cochlear implants are under six years old, and the devices themselves were brought from outside Palestine.

Since the start of these procedures two years ago, 166 out of 2,000 with hearing impairments have had implants, all of which have been successful.

The cochlear implant programme is sponsored by the Palestinian Ministry of Health and paid for by the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development in cooperation with other Qatari NGOs.

READ: Qatar to stop providing funds, aid to Gaza in 2020

Qatari doctors perform ochlear implant operations on Palestinian children on 26 November 2019
Qatari doctors perform ochlear implant operations on Palestinian children on 26 November 2019
Qatari doctors sit with Palestinian families whose children till undergo ochlear implant operations on 26 November 2019
Qatari doctors perform ochlear implant operations on Palestinian children on 26 November 2019

 (Source / 26.11.2019) 

Bennett threatens Gaza, Lebanon and Syria

Israeli Education Minister, Naftali Bennett [HNM News/Facebook]

Outgoing Minister of Education and Diaspora Affairs, Naftali Bennett

Israeli Defence Minister, Naftali Bennett, threatened on Monday the Gaza Strip, Syria and Lebanon, saying: “You know that our response will be very painful and to the point.” Benett’s made such a threat during his participation in the 63rd anniversary of the fall of Israeli soldiers in the 1956 tripartite aggression against Egypt, in the presence of Israeli President Reuven Rivlin in Jerusalem.

Bennett said: “It is obvious by now for our enemies that we will respond to any attempt threatening our existence. It is also clear to them that our response will be exact and very painful.”

He added: “I am addressing not only those who want to kill us on the southern front (Gaza Strip) but also those in the north”, about Syria and Lebanon.

Bennett stressed that the Israeli army “would continue to stand firm against proximal and distant threats. We will stand steadfastly, wisely and boldly, using the most advanced means we have at hand, in the face of all dangers and threats.”

Regarding the security tensions, which took place during the past two weeks, Bennett stated: “The map of the Middle East has changed. However, we are still facing the same threats, with different facets sometimes.”

READ: West Bank settlements attracting growing numbers of young Israeli families

During the previous two weeks, military tensions between Israel and “hostile” factions in Syria have taken place, the latest of which resulted in the death of 23 individuals, including 16 non-Syrian fighters, according to a new toll released by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) on Wednesday. Thus, the Israeli army carried on overnight raids on locations of the Syrian regime and Iranian forces in Damascus and its countryside.

Rivlin accused the Islamic Jihad Movement, Hamas and “Iran’s affiliates of trying to drag us into a continuous bloody struggle and causing terror and anxiety among the entire population of Israel.”

He continued: “Anyone, who thinks that we have forgotten how to deal with the ongoing attrition warfare, will be confronted by the Israeli population’s psychological immunity, again and again,” referring to the “strength of the Israeli home front and the absolute commitment of the Israeli soldiers.”

(Source / 26.11.2019) 

Hamas postpones election reply to PA

In protest against the crackdown on protesters in Ramallah, Hamas postpones sending its positive written reply about the elections to the PA

Salah Al-Bardaweel of the Hamas Political Bureau (C) speaks at a press conference in Gaza on 26 November 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
Salah Al-Bardaweel of the Hamas Political Bureau (C) speaks at a press conference in Gaza on 26 November 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
Members of Hamas arrive at a press conference in Gaza on 26 November 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]

The Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement decided on Tuesday to postpone sending its positive written reply about elections to the Palestinian Authority in protest against the crackdown on protesters in Ramallah. Salah Al-Bardaweel of the Hamas Political Bureau revealed this news at a press conference.

“Hamas has taken this decision in protest against the PA’s crimes against the sit-in by freed prisoners in the centre of Ramallah,” Al-Bardaweel explained. “The Israeli occupation authorities killed prisoner Sami Abu-Dayyak. This coincided with the PA’s crackdown on the protest by the freed prisoners, which violates the principle of freedom of speech.”

It was previously revealed by the Deputy Leader of Hamas, Saleh Al-Arouri, that the movement’s “positive” reply to the conditions laid down by Mahmoud Abbas will be handed to the head of the Elections Committee, Hanna Nasser, when he next visits Gaza.

Hamas is now stressing the importance of public rights and freedoms if the demand for free and fair elections is to be met.

In the wake of the Hamas decision, Al-Aqsa TV reported that Nasser has been in touch with the PA in Ramallah to seek a solution for the issue of the freed prisoners, who are calling on the PA President to restore their stipend payments.

Haniyeh: Nothing should be an obstacle to holding elections

(Source/ 26.11.2019) 

Soldiers Demolish A Palestinian Home In Jerusalem

On Tuesday, Israeli soldiers and personnel of the City Council, demolished a Palestinian home in the Industrial Zone area near Qalandia town, north of occupied East Jerusalem.

Media sources said several army jeeps, and bulldozers, invaded the area, and surrounded a home owned by members of Bazian family, before forcing them out of their property.

The Wadi Hilweh Information Center in Silwan (Silwanic) has reported that the soldiers demolished the home under the pretext of being built without a permit from the so-called “Civil Administration Office,” the administrative and executive branch of Israel’s illegal occupation of the West Bank, including occupied Jerusalem.

According to the Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, the army demolished 140 Palestinian homes and structures in Jerusalem governorate since the beginning of this year until September 1st.

Video By Wadi Hilweh Information Center in Silwan (Silwanic)


(Source / 26.11.2019) 

Israeli Prisons on High Alert After Death of Prisoner

Tension was high throughout the Israeli prisons this morning following the announcement that Palestinian prisoner, Sami Abu Diak, who was suffering from cancer, has died, according to the Palestinian Authority’s Prisoners Affairs Commission.

The Palestinian News and Info Agency (WAFA) reported that the death of Abu Diak, 37, from Silat al-Dahr village in the northern West Bank district of Jenin, this morning in the Israeli hospital Asaf Harofeh, was the result of what the Commission called “the policy of deliberate and systematic clinical killings by the (Israel) Prison Services.”

In a statement, the Commission said that following the announcement of the death of Abu Diak, there was anger and condemnation in the various prisons. Prisoners banged on the doors and called out the name of God as the prison services administration rushed to declare a state of alert and shut down all sections.

With the death of Abu Diak, the number of Palestinian prisoners who died as a result of medical negligence has reached 222 since 1967, more than a third of them while in custody.

Abu Diak was detained on 17 July 2002 and was sentenced to triple life terms plus 30 years, of which he spent 17 years behind bars before his death.

He was unable to walk and would move only on a wheelchair. He underwent four operations to remove tumors from the intestine, and during one of the operations, he went into a coma for one month.

Many petitions were submitted for the early release of Abu Diak in light of the serious and critical deterioration of his health, but the occupation authorities rejected all appeals, said the Commission.

The Prisoners’ Commission held the occupation authorities fully responsible for the death of Abu Diak due to what it called racist crimes against Palestinians, such as physical and psychological torture, medical negligence of prisoners and other violations and procedures of torture against them.

The Commission called for investigations into cases of violations against prisoners and to force Israel to abide by international law regarding prisoners.

(Source / 26.11.2019) 

Israeli Forces Detain Nine Palestinians, Many Former Prisoners

Palestinian security sources and witnesses confirmed, on Tuesday, that Israeli forces conducted multiple invasions, across the West Bank, at least nine Palestinians.

The Palestinian News and Info Agency reported that Israeli forces detained three Palestinians, including two former prisoners, after ransacking their homes in Kafr Ra’i town, south of the northern West Bank city of Jenin. Forces also detained another Palestinian from the neighboring town of Yaabad.

Meanwhile, an Israeli military force invaded Qalqilia city, and rounded up another former prisoner, after storming and thoroughly searching his house. In Jerusalem district, an Israeli military offensive was carried out in Biddu town, northwest of Jerusalem city, resulting in the detention of yet another former prisoner.

In Bethlehem district, Israeli military vehicles stormed al-Dawha area, southwest of Bethlehem city, where soldiers detained a Palestinian. One child was photographed being detained in Bethlehem, no more information was available at the time of reporting

In the meantime, in Hebron district, an overnight Israeli military raid was conducted in Beit Awwa town, southwest of Hebron city, resulting in the detention of a Palestinian. Two others were rounded up as they were refurbishing a Palestinian house in Wadi al-Hassin in the old section of the southern West Bank city of Hebron.

The detainees were identified as employees of the Hebron Rehabilitation Committee (HRC), which rehabilitates Palestinian houses in the old city to help Palestinians maintain their presence in the most tense and volatile cities in the west Bank.

(Source / 26.11.2019) 

ON THE DAY OF ANGER.. IOF WOUND 77 PALESTINIAN IN WEST BANK PROTESTS

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Israeli forces wounded 77 Palestinians during confrontations throughout occupied Palestine on Tuesday.

The Palestinian Red Crescent said in a statement that its teams have dealt with 77 injuries during confrontations in occupied West Bank and Jerusalem.

All cases were of minor injuries and they were caused by rubber-coated metal bullets, tear gas, and grenades’ shrapnel.

The Red Crescent stated that its teams have treated 33 injuries near the northern military checkpoint of Al Bireh and 15 others at the northern entrance to Bethlehem.

Medical teams also treated 13 injuries in Abu Dis in eastern Jerusalem, two in Hebron and Tulkarem, and 14 at Huwwarah checkpoint in southern Nablus.

The Ministry of Health said in a brief statement that the Public Hospital of Hebron treated two minor injuries with rubber-coated metal bullets. Palestine Medical Complex in Ramalllah treated five minor injuries as well.

QNN reporters have documented 14 areas of confrontations at Israeli military checkpoints and entrances to cities in occupied Jerusalem, Hebron, Tulkarem, Qalqilya, Ramallah, Jenin, and Nablus.

Officials of various factions and parties in addition to the PLO, syndicates, unions, and Municipal Councils had called for a Day of Anger to protest the US announcement, which considered Israeli settlements legal.

Hundreds of Palestinians went in protests, in which they raised Palestine flag and chanted slogans against the bias of the US administration and the crime of murdering Sami bu Diyak by the Israeli policy of medical negligence. The peaceful protests turned to confrontations shortly after the Israeli repression.

(Source / 26.11.2019) 

ON THE INTERNATIONAL DAY FOR THE ELIMINATION OF VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN: ‘ISRAEL’ ARRESTED 15,000 WOMEN SINCE 1967

Ramallah (QNN)- Palestine Prisoners Center for Studies revealed that it documented arresting 15,000 women and girls since 1967, 2100 of them have been arrested following the Intifada of the Al Aqsa, including dozens of minors, wounded, and elderly women.

The center also said that the occupation state has escalated arrests against Palestinian women following the Intifada of Jerusalem in 2015. Nearly 800 women were arrested following the Intifada, including minors and wounded women, 44 of them are still held in Israeli jails, including 20 mothers.

The center called to stop all assaults and torture against Palestinian female prisoners and to release them.

The press release was issued, remarking the international day for the elimination of violence against women, calling on the international community to apply human rights standards without bias or political hypocrisy.

The statement assured that the Israeli authorities practice all forms of torture and violence against Palestinian female prisoners unchallenged.

It also stated that international organizations make laws and legislation, criminalizing violence and torture against women, but they turn a blind eye to the Israeli crimes and violations against Palestinian female prisoners, which encourages the occupation state to continue its inhumane practices.

The statement noted that there are 29 female prisoners, who were brought to court and sentenced to different sentences, 8 of them were sentenced to long periods in jail. Shourouq Dwayyat (22 years old) and Shatila Abu Iyadeh (26 years old) were both sentenced to 16 years in jail.

The Israelis also issued over 64 administrative detention orders against women and girls. The female prisoners are subjected as well to medical negligence, especially against those who were wounded during arrest.

(Source / 26.11.2019) 

MOURNING MURDERED COLLEAGUE.. PALESTINIAN PRISONERS TO REFUSE FOOD FOR THREE DAYS

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails announced three days of mourning following the death of the cancer patient prisoner Sami Abu Diyak (36 years old), who has died this morning due to the Israeli policy of medical negligence.

The prisoners decided to wear black and mention the name of their murdered colleague, Sami Abu Diyak, instead of their own names during the daily roll-calls.

This morning, the prisoners have announced state of alert and started making Takbir and knocking on the cells’ gates following the death of Abu Diyak.

The Israelis in return closed all sections in preparation for any confrontations.

The Committee of Prisoners and Former Prisoners had warned months ago that Abu Diyak was in a very critical condition and that he would die any time due to the Israeli refusal to provide medical care.

Abu Diyak was sentenced to three life sentences and 30 years in jail. He had cancer due to an Israeli deliberate medical error four years ago, when Israeli doctors removed parts of his intestines causing cancer in addition to kidney and lung failure.

(Source / 26.11.2019)