Four Palestinian Detainees Still on Hunger Strike

Asra Media Office, on Sunday, stated that four Palestinian detainees, including a female prisoner, are maintaining their open-ended hunger strike in protest of their illegal imprisonment without charge or trial.

The office added that the hunger strikers are identified as:

30-year-old prisoner Ismael Ali, a resident of Abu Dis village, in occupied Jerusalem. He has entered his 103rd day of hunger strike.

29-year-old prisoner Musab al-Hindi, a resident of Tell town, southwest of Nablus. He has entered his 41st day of hunger strike, and has been moved to al-Ramleh prison clinic.

42-year-old prisoner Ahmad Zahran has entered his 37th day of hunger strike.

24-year-old Jordanian prisoner Hiba al-Lubadi has  entered her 41st day of hunger strike.

Al Ray Palestinian Media Agency notes that about 500 Palestinians are currently being held under Israel’s illegal and outdated policy of administrative detention, under which prisoners can be held for renewable six-month periods without charge or trial.

(Source / 03.11.2019) 

Israel Bulldozes Lands To Pave New Segregated Road On Palestinian Lands Near Hebron

Israeli soldiers and the so-called “Civil Administration Office, the executive branch of Tel Aviv’s occupation of Palestine, has started digging and preparing to pave a new segregated road for illegal colonialist settlers in Beit Ummar town, north of the southern West Bank city of Hebron.

Local nonviolent activist, Mohammad Awad, said the soldiers accompanied by several bulldozers and other heavy equipment, started bulldozing and uprooting the privately-owned Palestinian lands near Beit al-Baraka, which is illegally occupied by colonialist settlers.

Awad added that Israel is planning to pave a new road passing near Hebron-Jerusalem Road, and that the soldiers declared the area “a closed military zone,” before preventing the farmers and landowners from entering it.

The lands are at least 90 Dunams (22.23 Acres), owned by Palestinians from Safi and Sleibi families, and are planted with olive grapes and almond trees.

Abdul-Hadi Hantash, a Palestinian expert in Israeli colonialist affairs and maps, said the new road will pass through several kilometers on private, fertile lands, extending from Etzion Junction, north of Hebron, and passing near Beit al-Baraka in the opposite direction of the al-‘Arroub refugee camp, all the way through “Jabal al-Qarn” natural reserve between Beit Ummar and al-‘Arroub.

He added that the planned road would also extend to Nabi Younis Junction at the southern entrance of Halhoul town, and would eventually lead to the illegal annexation of about 400 Dunams (98.84 acres) of Palestinian lands in Beit Ummar and Halhoul towns.

Hantash stated that this new road is meant to boost Israel’s policies of segregation and annexation, to advance its plans for constructing and expanding its illegal colonies, built on occupied lands in direct violation of International Law and the Fourth Geneva Convention.

In 2016, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) issued a report about the Israeli plan to establish a new colony in the property of Beit al-Baraka, meaning “House of Blessing,” built 70 years earlier on a 38-dunam (9.5-acre) church compound located on the main road between Bethlehem and Hebron, opposite to Arroub refugee camp, and warned of humanitarian concerns resulting from his plan.

Beit al-Baraka also used to serve as a hospital providing free treatment to people suffering from tuberculosis until it was shut down in 1983. Jewish settlers later bought the compound from the church, through a fake company.

(Source / 03.11.2019) 

PLO demands UK apology for Balfour Declaration

View of the River Thames and the House of Commons, the British parliament, seen on March 22, 2017 in London, England [Ray Tang / Anadolu Agency]

View of the River Thames and the House of Commons, the British parliament, seen on March 22, 2017 in London, England

The umbrella Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) has called on Britain to apologise for the 1917 Balfour Declaration – a document that laid the groundwork for Israel’s creation.

“It’s time for Britain to act with responsibility to realise the political rights of the Palestinian people, which were denied a century ago,” PLO Secretary-General Saeb Erekat said in a statement on Saturday. He added:

Palestine remains a victim to this colonialist pledge…which denied the political rights of our people and their legitimate right to self-determination

The Balfour Declaration, dated November 2, 1917, was a letter sent by Britain’s then foreign secretary, Arthur James Balfour, to Lord Walter Rothschild, a prominent Zionist leader.

In the letter, Balfour declares his government’s support for a “national home for the Jewish people” in Palestine.

Read: The Ominous Promise

The infamous declaration was the result of three years of talks between the British government, Britain’s Jewish community and the International Zionist Organisation.

Two years ago, the centenary of Balfour was marked by Britain’s then Prime Minister, Theresa May, inviting her Israeli counterpart, Benjamin Netanyahu, to commemorate the anniversary “with pride”. This was despite the fact that over 13,500 people had signed a parliamentary petition launched by the Palestinian Return Centre calling for the government to apologise to the Palestinians.

Britain is yet to acknowledge its historic responsibility for the calamitous situation facing the Palestinians. Successive governments have avoided the injustice by simply making statements of goodwill, instead of progressive actions to end the Israeli occupation and support the Palestinian right to self-determination.

Last month, Husam Zomlot, the Palestinian ambassador to the UK called Britain’s delay in recognising the state of Palestine is illegal.

Explained: The Balfour Declaration

(Source / 03.11.2019) 

Balfour 102: Erekat Calls on UK to Realize Palestinian Rights

Marking the 102nd Anniversary of the Balfour Declaration on Saturday, Senior Palestinian Official, Dr. Saeb Erekat said Britain has the responsibility to make a qualitative shift towards realizing the political rights of the people of Palestine and recognizing their State.

Erekat, in an official statement, said that this date should serve as a reminder, for the United Kingdom, of its historical, political, moral, and legal responsibility to take substantive action and play a proactive role in the fulfillment of the national rights of the people of Palestine…

“…to apologize for the resulting injustice of a colonialist statement that denied the Palestinian people their political rights, to recognize the State of Palestine, and to take proactive measures against Israel’s colonial-settlement enterprise, including its products, companies, and funding sources,” Erekat said.

“Such actions are not going to remediate all the consequences of the Balfour Declaration. Yet, they will serve as a model for the rest of the international community to work for a just and lasting peace in Palestine, the Middle East, and the world,” he added.

Erekat also added that what is happening on the ground today, in occupied Palestine, cannot be disconnected from the Balfour Declaration.

“Israel’s colonial agenda, supported by the Trump Administration, is precisely what Balfour envisioned 102 years ago: an overall Israeli control over the land of historic Palestine that can systematically deny the political rights of the Palestinian people and their right to self-determination,” he added.

The statement also saluted the International Solidarity Movement, civil society organizations, and other popular initiatives working towards the achievement of Palestinian rights, defending the principles and core values of the global system and law, in the face of the reactionary wave of populism.

“Only by implementing international law and UN resolutions, we will be able to face those forces that aim at imposing the law of the jungle, threatening the basic principles of peace, security, and stability,” he concluded.

(Source / 03.11.2019) 

Palestinian Minister Among Eight Abducted by Israeli Forces in Pre-Dawn Raids Sunday

Updated: The Israeli Minister of Jerusalem Fadi al-Hadmi, was one of eight Palestinians abducted by Israeli forces in pre-dawn raids on Sunday.

Israeli troops stormed the neighborhood of Suwwana, in occupied Jerusalem, and abducted Fadi al-Hadmi, a Palestinian community leader who is a member of the Palestinian government that has worked through non-violent means to assert their sovereignty in the city.

While invading al-Hadmi’s home Sunday before dawn, eyewitnesses reported that the soldiers beat, humiliated and brutalized the government minister in front of his family and children before dragging him away.

This is the third time that al-Hadmi has been singled out for arrest by Israeli authorities, who claim they have the jurisdiction to arrest Palestinians in the city of Jerusalem – in violation of international law and the Fourth Geneva Convention regarding the rights of occupying powers.

In addition to abducting him, the Israeli authorities have also summoned him for interrogation on at least 12 occasions.

Adnan Ghaith, the Palestinian Governor of Jerusalem, is also frequently abducted by Israeli forces for the ‘crime’ of carrying out Palestinian governmental meetings and activities. Israeli forces justify these abductions of government ministers by claiming that Palestinians have no right to govern in Jerusalem.

In Jerusalem’s Old City, the soldiers also invaded and searched homes and abducted three young Wisam Seder, Yousef al-Hilu and  Razaz ar-Razem.

In the area of Khallet Hadour in Hebron, in the southern West Bank, Israeli troops abducted Mo’men Abu Shamsiya and Ahmad Al-Yamani.

In Bal’a village, east of Tulkarem, in the northern West Bank, Israeli forces abducted Nabil Saleh Awwad Hamdan, 52.

The Israeli forces also abducted Daoud Zakaria Mousa after they raided his family’s house and searched it in Al-Khader village south of Bethlehem.

(Source / 03.11.2019) 

Israel Plans to Seize Over 600 Dunams of Land in Nablus and Jerusalem

Israeli occupation authorities ordered, on Saturday, the confiscation of 500 dunams of Palestinian land in the village of Hizma, east of Jerusalem, and 124 dunams in the villages of Majdal Bani Fadel and Douma, south of Nablus in the northern occupied West Bank, local sources said.

Muslim Abu Heleou, head of Hizma municipality, told WAFA that the Israeli army handed the Palestinian Civil Liaison a notification regarding Israel’s intention to size 500 dunams of land which belong to Palestinians from Hizma, with a view of expanding the illegal Israeli settlement of Adam, nearby.

Meanwhile, Ghassan Daghlas, an official who is active in the settlement resistance movement, said the Israeli military handed Palestinians from Majdal Bani Fadel and Douma an order showing the land that is to be confiscated for military purposes.

On Friday, the Israeli authorities notified the municipality of the town of Yabad, southwest of Jenin in the northern West Bank, of their plan to confiscate around 409 dunams of land for the purpose of continuing the construction of the West Bank separation barrier.

According to the Israeli anti-settlement group, Peace Now, “Over the years, Israel has used a number of legal and bureaucratic procedures in order to appropriate West Bank lands, with the primary objective of establishing settlements and providing land reserves for them.”

“Using primarily these five methods: seizure for military purposes; declaration of state lands; seizure of absentee property; confiscation for public needs; and initial registration, Israel has managed to take over about 50% of the lands in the West Bank, barring the local Palestinian public from using them.”

(Source / 03.11.2019) 

Series of Israeli Raids Against Gaza in Response to Rockets Launched From Strip

Relatives of Palestinian youth Ahmed al-Shehri, who was killed in the Israeli raids on Saturday, November 2, 2019

Israel has launched a series of raids targeting various locations in the Gaza Strip. The attacks came in response to a rocket barrage fired earlier from the Strip into Israeli towns and settlements.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health said Ahmed al-Shehri, 27, was killed during pre-dawn attacks on areas west of Khan Younis on Saturday.

Two other Palestinians sustained moderate or serious shrapnel wounds from one of the strikes, according to the ministry.

The rockets and raids were launched one day after new clashes erupted as part of the “March of Return” demonstrations near the Strip’s border with Israel.

They resulted in wounding more than 90 Palestinians on Friday, including 50 with bullets, according to the Hamas-led Health Ministry in the Gaza Strip.

“Israeli warplanes attacked a wide array of targets, including a military compound belonging to the naval forces of Hamas group, a military compound belonging to the organization’s air defense system, a missile simulator, training facilities, an arms manufacturing site, and a military compound used as a weapons storehouse,” the army said in a statement.

Ten rockets were fired into Israel in two separate barrages on Friday night, the army noted, adding that one projectile slammed into a house in the town of Sderot, while the Iron Dome missile defense system intercepted eight other rockets.

This was the second night in a row that rockets were fired from the Strip into Israeli territory, following a six-week truce.

The videos released by the army showed the moment of bombing sites in the Strip in open lands.

The Israeli army held Hamas accountable for the rocket fire from Gaza, while Hamas responded that the Israeli bombardment was a serious escalation against innocent civilians and would retaliate against the occupation.

Israel routinely holds Gaza’s Hamas rulers responsible for any violence emanating from the Strip.

(Source / 03.11.2019) 

FOOTAGE SHOWS ISRAELI FORCES SHOOTING PALESTINIAN CIVILIAN

Ramallah (QNN) – A video footage that went viral online yesterday showed an Israeli Border Police officer shooting a Palestinian man who had his back turned toward the officer, his hands up and was walking away.

In the short video, released by Israeli Channel 13 and is believed to have occurred in the mid-2018, officers can be heard shouting at the man, before one of the officers shoots him.

The man, who was shot by a rubber-coated bullet, was wounded in the back but according to the Israeli occupation forces, he rose immediately afterwards and continued on his way.

Israeli media said evidence about the incident includes text messages in which members of the unit boasted about the incident and the main suspect’s admission via text messages, and that the officer who fired the rubber-coated rounds was discharged from the Border Police and returned to the army.Video Player
(Source / 03.11.2019) 

IN PICTURES – IOF ASSAULT STUDENTS AND SWEEP 200 DONUMS IN OCCUPIED HEBRON

QNN (Occupied Hebron) – Palestinian students suffered from toxic gas inhalation thrown towards them by Israeli soldiers while they were on their way to school Sunday morning in southern occupied Hebron, local sources stated.

The sources added that the Israeli occupation forces provoke and assault the Palestinian students on purpose to ignite clashes between the students and the IOF, which usually result in throwing sound and toxic gas bombs by Israeli soldiers, and using rubber bullets against the students.

In the northern part of the city, especially in “Beit al-Baraka” town, Israeli bulldozers swept an area of more than 200 donums planted with citrus and olive trees.

Palestinian activist Yusuf Abu Maria said that the sweeping is part of a plan to expand a settlement road linking the illegal settlement of Gush Etzion and occupied Jerusalem to Beersheba with a width of 60 meters.

Abu Maria said that he was detained by the Israeli forces when they saw him documenting their demolitions, and threatened him to send him to a detention center if he continues to document and publish their violations.

“Beit al-Baraka” used to be a medical center, owned for Presbyterian Church, where Palestinians received medical care until 2016 when it was illegally sold to a Zionist organization, planning to annex it to Gush Etzion illegal settlement.

(Source / 03.11.2019) 

39 Women Detainees Are Held In Israeli Jails, Among Them 16 Mothers

There are 39 women detainees in the Israeli occupation jails, held at Damoun prison except for the detainee Hiba Al-Labadi, who entered a hunger strike since 41 days and held at Al-Ramlah prison clinic, and the wounded detainee Suhair Islamya who is held at Shaare Tzedek Hospital, the commission of Detainees’ Affairs stated.

The commission pointed out that 28 women detainees are sentenced to maximum 16 years, 8 detainees are under custody and 3 detainees under the administrative detention such as Hiba Al-labadi, Alaa’ Basheer and Shuruq Al-badan.

The commission added that 16 mothers among the detainees.

The commission also stated that some detainees are suffering from bad health conditions. A case in point is the detainee Israa’ JaabeesHiba Al-LabadaiShuruq DwayatMarah Bakeer and Amal Taqatqa who do not receive any medical care.

The commission revealed that the occupation authorities issued insane sentences against women detainees with high fines and long years.

Cases in point: the detainee Shuruq Dwayat who is sentenced to 16 years and a fine of NIS 80.000, Shatella Abu Ayyad sentenced to 16 years, Aysha Afghani and Maysoun Jabali 15 years, Nourhan Awwad sentenced to 13 years, Israa Jaabees sentenced to 11 years, Fadwa Hamada, Amani Hasheem and Malak Suliman are sentenced to 10 years.

(Source / 03.11.2019)