A group of around 30 masked Israeli settlers attacked Israeli and international human rights activists on Wednesday, beating them with crowbars while they were protecting Palestinian farmers trying to harvest olives in the village of Burin, in the West Bank. Eighty year old Rabbi Moshe Yehudai told reporters that he “feared for his life” as he was beaten mercilessly on the head, arm and shoulders. He was one of five Israeli human rights activists who was beaten in the attack. Yehudai was rushed to hospital with severe head injuries and a broken arm. Yehudai is a member of Rabbis for Human Rights, a group made up of Israeli and international Rabbis and supporters that engage in human rights accompaniment in the West Bank, especially in areas known for Israeli settler violence. According to local sources, more than 30 masked Israeli settlers came running into the olive grove where the harvest was going on, and began beating the Palestinian farmers, Israeli rabbis and international human rights activists. While being treated for his injuries, Yehudai told reporters from the Times of Israel, “Suddenly, the settlers came with their faces [covered]. They started running at us, they surrounded me, threw rocks at me, hit me with crowbars, giving me a head injury. I told them I’m 80 years old. Leave me alone.” But the settlers kept coming and beating him and the other activists and observers. Israeli settlers frequently attack Palestinian farmers and civilians, including children. They are rarely arrested or held accountable for their crimes, since the area where they illegally live is under Israeli military occupation, and the Israeli military has no mandate to arrest settlers for criminal or violent acts. The soldiers are only authorized to attack and abduct Palestinians, not the Israelis who are squatting illegally on Palestinian land. Last week, a gang of Israeli settlers set fire to an olive grove, just as the Palestinian owners of the trees were preparing for the annual harvest — which provides the Palestinians with their main source of income. That arson resulted in the destruction of 70 olive trees.
According to Al-Araby News, more than 600,000 Israeli Jews live in settlements in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem, in housing developments that are considered illegal under international law.
The Oslo agreement of 1995 divided the occupied West Bank into three: Area A, Area B and Area C.
Area A is under the administrative and security control of the Palestinian Authority (PA); Area B’s administration is controlled by the PA, with Israel controlling security; Area C is under full administrative and security control of Israel.
Along with stealing land, occupying Israeli forces and settlers are known to harass civilians, demolish Palestinian homes, poison livestock, vandalise property and other forms of violence.
[Illustrative] Israeli soldiers and settlers arrest a Palestinian teenager
Occupied West Bank (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces arrested four Palestinians, including a 14-years-old child during pre-dawn raids, which targeted houses of native Palestinians throughout occupied West Bank and Jerusalem last night.
Israeli forces arrested the child Mutasem Antouri (14 years old) near the northern military checkpoint in Qalqilya after raiding the city. They also fired tear gas at houses during the raid.
Israeli forces also rearrested Anas Malash after searching his house in western Bethlehem and arrested two worshipers from the Mercy prayer room at Al Aqsa mosque.(Source / 21.10.2019)
Gaza (QNN)- Hamas official, Sami Abu Zohri, told Shehab News Agency that Palestinian prisoners in Saudi Arabia, who were arrested in a Saudi arrest campaign this year, are being subjected to torture and brutally interrogated.
“Unfortunately, the prisoners are brutally interrogated. Some of them are being subjected to different forms of torture. Interrogators from different nationalities interrogate them”, Abu Zohri said. “Such thing is not like Saudi Arabia”, he added.
“There are approximately 60 Palestinians in Saudi jails, some of them are Hamas supporters and others have been in the kingdom for over three decades and built it. Arresting them shocked them and us because it is unjustifiable and cannot be understood”.
Abu Zohri assured that Hamas made hard efforts reaching international bodies and Saudi officials but no positive results were yielded. He stated that the efforts are still in progress.
Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Several media and rights organizations and groups slammed a decisions by the Palestinian Authority’s Magistrate’s Court, ruling to block dozens of websites in Palestine.
At the request of the Attorney General, the Magistrate Court in Ramallah ruled to block 59 Palestinian and Arabic websites and pages under the pretext of harming the Palestinian Authority and threatening civil peace.
The decision, which was issued few days ago but was revealed on Monday, provoked rage among Palestinians and human rights groups, who stressed that it goes against the right to freedom of expression and the right of the press.
Skyline addresses the UN
Skyline for Human Rights said that it sent an urgent letter to the UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion, David Kaye, after the PA’s decision to block dozens of websites without a legal basis.
The organization also sent a copy of the court decision and urged the UN to intervene in order to stop the violations against the freedom of speech in Palestine.
Palestine Press Association: This is a massacre and a dark day
The Palestinian Press Association deemed the leaked decision a massacre against the freedom of speech and press in Palestine, and a dark day in the history of the Palestinian press.
The Association stressed that the court rule, which is based on a 2018 law on cyber crimes, confirmed that the Association’s fears of the law’s weaponization are justified. It also stated that weaponizing laws goes against the pledges of the Prime Minister regarding protecting the freedom of the press.
The association also urged the High Judaical Counsel to take action in order to reverse the court decision and stressed that it will take all legal measures to challenge the decision.
Arab students in Israel are given less than 1 per cent funding compared to Jewish students
Israel’s Knesset Research and Information Centre revealed on Sunday huge gap between the government’s funding of Jewish and Arab students at Israeli schools.
According to the Development and Efficiency Index at the Israeli Education Ministry, the Israel students are divided into four classifications: weak, weak-intermediate, intermediate-strong and strong.
The Knesset report found that 87 per cent of the Arab students at the primary schools classified as weak or weak-intermediate, 88.5 per cent at preparatory schools and 87.5 at the secondary schools.
The report found that Arab-majority schools get far less funds than the Jewish schools, stating that the state pays up to 43,000 shekels ($12,174) for Jewish students at secondary school level, while their Arab counterparts only receive funding of 24,250 shekels ($6,866); almost half as much.
The report was issued on request by the Arab MK from the Joint List Yousef Jabareen who accused the state of discriminating between Jewish and Arab students.
Palestinian detainee Ahmad Ghannam, 42, has been on hunger strike for 100 days demanding an end for his administrative detention in Israel without charge or trial, today said the Palestinian Prisoner Society (PPS).
Ghannam, from the town of Dura in the south of the West Bank, is one of six Palestinians who are currently on hunger strike demanding an end to their unending administrative detention, which Israel uses to incarcerate Palestinian activists based on secret evidence for six months at a time that could be renewed indefinitely.
The PPS said Ghannam was transferred to hospital a week ago following serious deterioration on his health.
He was arrested on June 18 and immediately placed under administrative detention, which was renewed for two-and-a-half months while on hunger strike.
Ghannam, married and a father of two children, was treated in the past for cancer and therefore needs constant medical attention and follow up, said the PPS, which he is being denied while in detention.
Five other prisoners are also on hunger for the same reason, and they include Ismail Ali, on strike for 90 days, Tareq Qadan, on strike for 83 days, Ahmad Zahran, for 30 days, Musab Hindi, for 28 days, and Hiba Labadi, a Jordanian citizen, also for 28 days.
Jewish settlers today caused damage to a Palestinian-owned house located between the villages of Jalud and Qusra, to the south of the occupied West Bank city of Nablus, according to sources.
Ghassan Daghlas, who monitors Israeli settlement activities in the north of the West Bank, told WAFA that settlers from the illegal settlement of Esh Kodesh threw rocks at an uninhabited house owned by Tawfiq Shobaki and damaged its windows.
He said village residents confronted the settlers and forced them to leave that area, which is subject to regular attacks by the settlers.