Israeli soldiers injured, on Saturday evening, 46 Palestinians, including children, after the army invaded the al-‘Ezariyya town, east of occupied East Jerusalem, leading to protests, and fired many gas bombs at protesters and many surrounding homes and cars.
The Palestinian Reds Crescent Society (PRCS) said one child, was directly shot with a gas bomb to her head and was rushed to a medical center in Abu Dis nearby town, before she was moved to Hadassah Israeli medical center for further treatment.
The PRCS added that six members of the same family suffered the effects of teargas inhalation, while in their car, and received the needed treatment.
Local sources said the invasion and protests first started in al-Qanatra Bridge area, before spreading to the rest of the town, and that the soldiers also surrounded the area of al-Aziz Mosque, and fired a barrage of gas bombs and concussion grenades.
The PRCS said its medics provided treatment to at least 40 Palestinians, mostly due to the effects of teargas inhalation, and some who were physically attacked by the army, in addition to a few who fell while the soldiers were chasing them.
Foreign Minister of Turkey Mevlut Cavusoglu (C-L) meets Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki (C-R) ahead of Extraordinary Meeting of Council of Foreign Ministers of Organization of Islamic Cooperation, in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on 15 September 2019
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s announcement of his intention to annex areas of the West Bank following next week’s elections shows Israel is becoming a “racist, apartheid regime”, Turkey’s foreign minister was quoted as saying on Sunday, Reuters reports.
Netanyahu said on Tuesday he would annex the Jordan Valley, a swathe of the occupied West Bank that Israel captured in 1967 and which Palestinians want as part of a future state. The move alarmed Middle Eastern nations, European powers and Arab foreign ministers.
On Saturday, Turkey’s foreign ministry said the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) would convene in Jeddah on Sunday to discuss Netanyahu’s statement.
Speaking in Jeddah, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Netanyahu’s “embarrassing” plan was a “despicable” attempt to earn votes ahead of Tuesday’s election, and criticised what he called a lack of reaction from other Muslim countries.
“Israel, encouraged by the support of certain countries, is continuing its aggressive policies that are turning it into a racist, apartheid regime,” Cavusoglu was quoted as saying by the state-run Anadolu news agency.
“If the whole Muslim community had reacted together, the reckless plans, policies and behaviour of the United States and Israel would never have reached this point,” Cavusoglu said.
Around 65,000 Palestinians and 11,000 Israeli settlers live in the Jordan Valley and northern Dead Sea area, the Israeli human rights group B’Tselem says. The main Palestinian city is Jericho, with some 28 villages and smaller Bedouin communities.
Turkey and Israel, former allies, have long been at odds over Israel’s policy towards the Palestinians and Jerusalem’s status. Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan called for a summit of the OIC twice last year after U.S. President Donald Trump decided to recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
Turkey and Israel also expelled each other’s top diplomats last year during a dispute over clashes when dozens of Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces on the Gaza border. The two sides continue to trade with one another
Beginning with invasive night raids multiple villages, and ending with 7 structures demolished, 4 families made homeless, 2 Palestinians arrested, 1 beaten and hospitalized, 1 car confiscated, and 1 major access road severely damaged, Israeli Occupation Forces continue their ongoing assault on local communities in Masafer Yatta.
Masafer Yatta is a collection of over 20 villages near Hebron, deep in the south of the West Bank. Most of the Palestinians who live here raise livestock for a living; some are Bedouins, who once traveled with their camels and flocks across the dry and rugged hills, before Israel invaded in 1967 and occupied the area.
Despite archeological excavations showing villages have been there since the early Roman and Byzantine era, the Israeli army declared the area a live firing zone in the 1970s and announced plans to demolish most of the villages. While Palestinians in Firing Zone 918 are forbidden from driving cars or possessing any kind of construction material, Israeli settlers in the settlements of Maon, Avigal, and Susya, illegal under international law, continue to build new houses and farms, and are free to travel in and out of the area.
On September 11th 2019, from 0:00 to 4:00 AM, Israeli soldiers raided multiple villages, breaking into homes, forcing sleeping children and parents outside of their houses and searching rooms, cupboards and fridges, as well as cars and wells, damaging villager’s belongings and terrorizing local residents. The soldiers refused to show residents a warrant or give a reason for the indiscriminate searches; residents say their villages are often used as a training ground for new recruits.
PHOTO [Israeli soldiers raided 8 villages from midnight to early morning, awaking residents and searching houses without giving a reason or warrant.]
At 9:00 AM, 4 bulldozers and excavators, from JCB, Hyundai, and Volvo, and a Scania loading truck, together with dozens of IDF soldiers, Border Police, and Civil Administration agents arrived in the village of Mufakara, a tiny hamlet of approximately 50 inhabitants from the Hamamda clan. 4 structures were demolished and 2 families displaced, including a widow, her 6 daughters and one son. Residents of Mufakara said it was the 5th demolition in their village alone this year; one family had their home, demolished 3 times in 9 months. Civil administration agents also cut and confiscated a water pipe bringing water from At-Tuwani to Mufakara. This is not the first time Israeli Civil Administration has deprived villagers in Mufakara of access to water, a basic human right; Israeli human rights group B’Tselem reports that after having running water for just 6 months, Israeli forces destroyed and confiscated 6 kilometers of piping in February this year. The IOF also confiscated a car owned by the Massafer Yatta Village Council.
PHOTO [Israeli soldiers at the scene of home demolitions in Mufakara]
The IOF also demolished the bathroom of a family living inside a cave passed down for generations.
PHOTO [Israeli forces demolish a family’s bathroom]
In the nearby village of Khallet Ad-Dabe’a, Israeli forces and Civil Administration demolished the houses of a family with 6 children and their uncle’s house. A relative of the family that lost their home was violently assaulted by Israeli soldiers after running past them towards the house, and was hospitalized with multiple injuries. Two Palestinians, head of the At-Tuwani Village Council, Mohammad Rib’ey, and Bakr Fadel Rib’ey, were assaulted, then arrested by the IOF. They were released without charge later in the day.
PHOTO [Relative of the family that lost their home, with his son, after being attacked by Israeli soldiers, was later hospitalized for multiple injuries.]
At the same time as the home demolitions, the Israeli army used excavators to dig holes and pile boulders and rubble onto a key road, cutting off 15 villages from the regional hub of Yatta. For some of these villages, alternative routes to Yatta will turn a 30 minutes trip into one that takes 4-5 hours, much of it through unpaved dirt roads.
Many of the houses demolished on Wednesday were, in fact, built with funding from the EU and international NGOs, as well as the road, which locals say was repaired with EU funding after it was previously damaged by Israeli forces. Regavim, an extremist far right settler group which lobbies for demolitions and against EU development projects in Palestine, is highly active in and around the illegal Israeli settlements in Masafer Yatta.
According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, humanitarian organizations currently providing assistance to communities in Masafer Yatta are impeded by demolition orders “against the items provided”, as well as confiscation of organizations’ vehicles and equipment, and restriction of access to the area.
The Israeli government defends such demolitions by arguing that the houses were built without the legally required permits. A quick look at the numbers, however, show the virtual impossibility of obtaining a housing permit under Israel’s apartheid system. In a 2014 report by the World Bank, only 1.6% of Palestinian housing permit applications were approved; Israeli Civil Administration confirms that from 2008 to 2016, 66 Palestinian applications for construction were approved, while 12,763 Israeli settlement construction applications were approved.
To put that into numbers, an Israeli settler is 193 times more likely to have his application approved than a Palestinian.
Wednesday’s demolitions marked the first demolitions in 1 month and 8 days. The fact that such an extensive round of demolitions occurred just 6 days before Israelis vote in legislative elections did not go unnoticed, as Netanyahu, facing corruption charges and failure to form a government, tries to secure the settler and pro-Occupation vote. With both major Israeli parties declaring their intention to continue illegal settlement growth, and demolition orders pending on 26 of the 28 villages and hamlets in Masafer Yatta, the Israeli apartheid and ethnic cleansing of Masafer Yatta looks set to continue.
Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Israeli campaigns have been using Facebook as a platform to directly and indirectly incite against Palestinians and their rights, said Sada Social centre on Sunday.
After monitoring Israeli electoral propaganda on social media, Sada documented direct and indirect incitement against Palestinians and calls to deny them their basic human rights. Some posts even incite murder against Palestinians.
Sada Social centre stated that it monitored Israeli electoral propaganda made by Knesset candidates last April and reported violations to Facebook administration, which pushed Facebook to remove some posts and keep others. The move shows Facebook’s unfair and double-standards policy, which usually doesn’t do justice for Palestinians, said Sada Social
The centre also documented further violations during the electoral propaganda for the re election, and interestingly, this time Facebook administration suspended Netanyahu’s page.
Sada Social Centre stressed that it demands to deter Israeli officials from incitement on social media platforms and to apply Facebook’s policies fairly and clearly on all users without using double standards policy.
Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces carried out raid and arrest campaign against native Palestinians throughout occupied West Bank and occupied Jerusalem, arresting four Palestinians and wounding several others.
In occupied West Bank, Israeli forces raided Tulkarem and arrested a Palestinian young man after breaking into his house. They also raided housed in occupied Hebron and dorms in Birzeit, where they confiscated posters and interrogated University students.
In occupied Jerusalem, at least 46 Palestinians were reportedly wounded during confrontations between locals and Israeli soldiers, who raided neighborhoods last night.
A 6-year-old little girls was injured by a tear gas grenade, which was directly fired at her head. Other locals, including a little girl with special needs, were suffocated by tear gas grenades, which was heavily fired at Palestinians’ houses.
Israeli forces also arrested three Palestinians, including Nabil Abu Hummus (12 years old), who was assaulted before being arrested while he was heading to a nearby grocery.
Israeli PM Netanyahu pledged to expand Jewish settlement if re-elected
Illegal Israeli Jewish settlers started on Sunday setting up new illegal settlement outpost at Jabal al-Mintar area, east of occupied Jerusalem.
Younes Jaafar, head of the local council of nearby Sawahira Village, said that a number of armed settlers proceeded to raze land in the area in the morning.
Then, he said, they placed caravans and other residential and agricultural structures in the Palestinian area, stating that the land occupied by the settlers belongs to Palestinian citizens from the village.
On Saturday, Israeli settlers razed a plot of land outside the nearby town of Abu Dis, aiming to establish another settlement outpost.
The latest measures by Israeli settlers came in the aftermath of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s announced threats to annex large swathes of Palestinian land in the occupied West Bank if he was re-elected in the upcoming election.
Netanyahu also promised to enhance settlement construction and expansion as well as to annex the Jordan Valley region, which makes up one third of the total area of the occupied West Bank.
The settlers were protected by the Israeli occupation forces when they attacked the Palestinian homes
Extremist Israeli Jewish settlers on Saturday night attacked with rocks and bottles Palestinian homes in the occupied West Bank city of Al-Khalil.
Palestine Post 24 reporter said that dozens of extremist Israeli Jewish settlers descended from the illegal Israeli settlement of Kiryat Arba, protected by Israeli forces, threw rocks and glass bottles at civilian homes in the neighbourhood of Al-Hareeqa in the Palestinian city.
The reporter also said that the Jewish settlers smashed glass windows and chanted racist slogans, terrorising children and families.
Some 800 Israeli Jewish settlers live in the occupied city of Al-Khalil, which is home of over 200,000 Palestinians.
Harassment of Palestinians in that area is repeated almost everywhere, particularly following the departure of the international monitoring team in February when Israel refused to extend their mandate.
Citizens of the neighbourhood called on international and rights groups to urgently interfere to put an end to the Israeli government-supported settler terrorism and to provide protection for them.
About 700 patient Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails are facing the same fate as Bassam al-Sayeh
By Motasem A Dalloul
In addition to being subject to all forms of physical and verbal torture, the Palestinian prisoners are also subject to medical negligence which ends up with their death inside Israeli jails.
Bassam Al-Sayeh was 47 years old when he died in an Israeli prison on Sunday. His family, rights groups and Palestinian campaigners allege that he died because of maltreatment by the Israeli Prison Service and deliberate medical negligence.
Al-Sayeh was diagnosed with cancer in 2011 and was detained while attending his wife’s court hearing on 8 October 2015. He has complained about maltreatment and medical negligence since the start of his detention. Rights groups called for the Israeli occupation authorities to offer him appropriate treatment and medicines, and for international bodies to put pressure on Israel to make sure that this happened.
Commenting on his death, the Palestinian Prisoners’ Club (PPC) said that Al-Sayeh’s health deteriorated in the last two months. It also pointed out that he was suffering from heart and lung disease.
On 29 July, Al-Sayeh was moved to Al-Ramleh Prison clinic, which is called “the slaughterhouse” by Palestinian prisoners. As his condition worsened, he was moved to Assaf Harofeh Medical Centre near Tel Aviv on 12 August, where he was pronounced dead.
“The Israeli occupation authorities bear full responsibility for Al-Sayeh’s murder,” said the PPC. Palestinian prisoners inside Israeli jails, it claimed, are subject to “physical and psychological torture and medical negligence.”
In a detailed chart published on its website, the Israeli human rights group B’Tselem said that as of July this year, there were 5,248 Palestinian prisoners held by Israel. Al-Sayeh’s case has pushed rights groups to raise the issue of maltreatment and medical negligence affecting many of them, citing frequent complaints from prisoners, lawyers and families.
According to the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR), “[Al-Sayeh’s death] reflects the extent of punitive measures it [Israel] employs against [prisoners], especially in terms of medical neglect and inadequate treatment provided to at least 150 prisoners with chronic and serious illnesses.”
The Centre pointed out that the 47-year-old was the third Palestinian political prisoner to die in an Israeli prison this year, bringing the total since the start of the occupation of the West Bank in 1967 up to 221. Fares Baroud, 51, died on 6 February after spending 28 years in prison. He was pronounced dead, the PCHR explained, just hours after he was admitted to Israel’s Soroka Hospital. “This raised suspicions of deliberate medical negligence.” Baroud suffered stomach, heart and liver pains prior to his death.
After being arrested on 9 June, Nassar Taqatqah, 31, “died while in solitary confinement” just over a month later, on 16 July. Taqatqah was arrested at his home and remained under investigation until his death. His family confirmed that he did not have any health issues — “he was a healthy young man” — when he was taken prisoner by Israeli occupation forces. Family members believe strongly that he must have taken ill in custody and been denied proper medical care.
Claims of medical negligence are not new. Twelve years ago, a Palestinian political prisoner died in his cell in Israel’s Ma’asiyahu Prison on 25 August 2007 due, it is alleged, to medical negligence. Omar Masalma, 23, from the occupied West Bank city of Hebron, was arrested while working illegally in Israel.
He was imprisoned alongside political prisoners but his family, thinking that it would be better for him, asked for him to be taken to Ma’asiyahu in order to be dealt with as an ordinary criminal.
Masalma’s cellmate told his family later on that he had suffered from severe stomach pain and asked to be examined by a doctor. His request was denied and he continued suffering until he could not bear the pain. His cellmate and other prisoners started to knock on their cell doors until Masalma was taken for “treatment”; he returned after five minutes with “a pill”.
“He swallowed this pill, fell asleep, and never woke up again,” his family was told. They insisted that he did not have any health problems prior to his detention. Masalma died just 20 days before completing his 21-month sentence.
Walid Al-Agha from Gaza, who spent 13 years in Israeli prisons and is now an activist for prisoners’ rights, thinks that the pill which was given to Masalma was probably nothing more a painkiller. The Israeli Prison Service, he said, gives painkillers to all prisoners no matter what their ailment is, even if it is something serious like cancer, hypertension or diabetes.
Of course, in several reports and after every such case, the prison service insists that it is offering proper medical care and treatment to all prisoners. The evidence, it claims, is the existence of the clinic in Al-Ramla Prison, the aforementioned “slaughterhouse”.
In all, said Al-Agha, there are around 700 Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails in need of serious healthcare. He thinks that they will now be expecting to suffer the same fate as Bassam Al-Sayeh and the other victims of what they all insist is Israel’s deliberate policy of maltreatment and medical negligence. This remains a major cause of death among Palestinian prisoners held by the occupation state.