Right-wing Israeli settlers gathered in the northern and southern West Bank on Friday afternoon and threw stones at Palestinian vehicles.
According to the Palestinian News Agency Wafa, Israeli settlers attacked and threw stones at Palestinian vehicles on the Rt. 60 bypass road near Kharsina area east of Hebron.
Local sources told Wafa that a number of settlers gathered on the settler street and threw stones at Palestinian vehicles, while Israeli forces reinforced their presence in the area.
In addition, the Israeli occupation forces erected a checkpoint at the entrance of Wadi al-Shajneh, west of Dura. They stopped vehicles and checked their cards.
In the northern West Bank, dozens of Israeli settlers on Friday closed the road linking Huwwara, south of Nablus, to areas of the northern West Bank (Yitzhar) and threw stones at Palestinian cars.
Ghassan Daghlas, an official in charge of the Palestinian response to illegal Israeli settlements in the northern West Bank, told Wafa that dozens of settlers, under the protection of the Israeli occupation army, closed Yitzhar Street and attacked Palestinian vehicles with rocks and stones.
Hundreds of Palestinians across the Gaza Strip headed Friday toward the security fence area to participate in the weekly anti-occupation protests known as the Great March of Return, Anadolu Agency reports.
They were holding Palestinian flags.
The Higher National Commission of the Great March of Return and Breaking of the Gaza Siege (formed by Palestinian factions) named this Friday’s rallies “We are ready to protect Al-Aqsa” in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the first attempt to burn Al-Aqsa Mosque and the continued repressive procedures by the Israeli authorities in Jerusalem.
The attack was carried out by a radical pro-Israeli Australian national Dennis Michael Rohan and caused heavy damages to the mosque.
In a previous statement, the commission said that “Israel is responsible for any attacks or assaults on the protesters of the marches”.
Since the Gaza rallies began in March last year, nearly 270 protesters have been martyred — and thousands more wounded — by Israeli forces at the security fence areas with Gaza.
Demonstrators demand an end to Israel’s 12-year-old blockade to the Gaza Strip, which has shattered the coastal enclave’s economy and deprived its two million inhabitants of free movement in and out from Gaza and prevented many basic amenities.
Settlers storm a school in the occupied West Bank on 28 December 2017 breaking car and classroom windows and injuring students
Several groups of illegal Israeli settlers yesterday hurled stones at Palestinian vehicles near the West Bank cities of Hebron and Nablus, Quds Press reported.
Quds Press said that settlers gathered at Route 60, east of Hebron, and threw stones at Palestinian cars. Israeli forces also set up a checkpoint in the city’s Dora neighbourhood and caused heavy congestion as they searched the cars and checked drivers’ IDs.
Meanwhile, tens of illegal settlers closed the road which connects Huwwara, south of Nablus, with the north of the West Bank, also throwing stones at Palestinian vehicles.
Ghassan Daghlas – a Palestinian Authority (PA) official who monitors settlements in the north of the West Bank – said that tens of Israeli settlers, protected by the Israeli army, closed Yitzhar road and threw stones at Palestinian vehicles which attempted to pass through the barricades.
Israeli soldiers attacked, Friday, the weekly Great Return March processions along the eastern parts of the Gaza Strip, and injured 122 Palestinians, including 50 who were shot with live rounds, and three medics.
Thousands of Palestinians gathered along the eastern parts of the coastal region, hundreds of meters away from the perimeter fence.
The protesters marched carrying Palestinian flags and posters of Palestinians killed by Israeli army fire, while chanting against the ongoing illegal Israeli occupation of Palestine, its illegal colonies and polices, and the siege on the Gaza Strip.
The Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza has confirmed that the medics provided treatment to 122 Palestinians, including fifty who were shot with live rounds, and three medics.
The Ministry added that dozens of wounded Palestinians were moved to a few hospitals, while the rest received treatment by field medics.
It is worth mentioning that the army placed more sand hills, across the perimeter fence in the eastern parts of the Gaza Strip, from the northern parts in Beit Hanoun and Beit Lahia, in northern Gaza, in addition to the eastern part of Gaza city and the central region, all the way to the southern parts in Khan Younis and Rafah.
Nassim Abu Roumi (14) was shot dead by the Israeli forces, after he attempted to stab an Israeli police officer
“My son was killed 5 days ago…all I want is to bury him. But they are keeping his body, they will not give him to us.”
Mokafih Abu Roumi spoke with ISM on Tuesday, August 20, about the death of his son, 14 year old Nassim Abu Roumi, and the harassment and collective punishment he and his family have received from Israeli authorities since.
On August 15, Nassim Abu Roumi (14) and Hammouda Khader Sheikh (14), attempted a knife attack on Israeli police blocking one of the entrances to the Al-Aqsa Mosque (Dome of the Rock). After trying to stab an Israeli police officer, Nassim was repeatedly shot and died at the scene; Hammouda was shot multiple times before being taken in custody. His current condition is unknown. One Israeli police officer was treated for “light wounds”. Video footage of the attack shows Nassim was initially shot in the leg, after which Israeli officers continued firing at him. Mokafir believes that his son was executed, as he no longer posed a threat to the police, stating that “They [the police] could have stopped him without killing him. These soldiers (police) are very well trained, they had…years of experience, they could control a little boy. They wanted to kill him.”
Immediately after Nassim’s attack, his father was arrested and held in a cell for 2.5 hours, after which he was interrogated by Shin Bet agents. He was forced to watch the video of Israeli police repeatedly firing bullets into his son, whilst surrounded by Israeli Occupation Forces demanding that he identify Nassim.
Mokafih describes Nassim as a “…friendly, honest child. He was popular at school and had many friends. He was in the 7th grade at [a branch of] the Al Aqsa school in Ezariyya, he had no social or psychological problems. He liked football and Internet.” He remembers his son being deeply angered by the brutality of the IOF towards Palestinian worshipers at the Al Aqsa Mosque on the first day of Eid, one of the most important Muslim festivals of the year. In particular, the images of women and children being violently assaulted deeply affected him. His father also maintains that his son acted alone, and the attack was not sanctioned or planned by any political party or movement.
On August 11th, the IOF used tear gas, rubber coated steel bullets and flash grenades to clear tens of thousands of Palestinian Muslims from the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, to allow 1,300 Jews into the compound. 61 Palestinians were injured, 15 of which had to be hospitalized.
IOF violence inside the Al-Aqsa compound on the first day of Eid
4 days later, at 4:00PM in the afternoon, Nassim left the house without telling anyone where he was going. Later that night, Mokafih received word that his son was dead.
Israeli intelligence service Shin Bet continues to hold the body of Mokafih’s son. Mokafih’s requests for his son’s body have been repeatedly rejected on the grounds that the police investigation into the cause of death is still ongoing, even as footage of police shooting Nassim is widely shown in international media and online. Police are also demanding Mokafih agree to preconditions regarding the funeral before returning his son’s body.
In December 2017, Israel’s High Court of Justice ruled that the bodies of alleged suspects cannot be held by the Israeli state, but 4 months later the Knessest passed a new law allowing bodies to be held until families agree to preconditions on funeral arrangements, effectively using the bodies of Palestinians killed by the IOF as bargaining chips.
Mokafih said the inability to give his son even a simple burial is causing tremendous emotional stress and grief for him and his family. Under Islamic burial traditions, burial should take place within 24 hours after death. Burial with dignity and according to the religious laws of the deceased is a basic human right guaranteed by the Geneva Convention. Even after the loss of a son, the Abu Roumi family is not only denied of their basic rights but forced to continue suffering without closure.
Several Israeli army jeeps invaded, Friday, Sebastia town, north of the northern West Bank city of Nablus, and injured many Palestinians.
Mohammad Azem, the mayor or Sebastia, said the soldiers invaded the town, and attacked many Palestinians, in addition to firing several gas bombs and concussion grenades at them and their homes.
Azem added that local medics provided treatment to dozens of Palestinians, who suffered the severe effects of teargas inhalation.
It is worth mentioning that the soldiers frequently invade Sebastia, and repeatedly accompany groups of illegal colonialist settlers, many of them armed, into the archeological site in the town, and prevent the Palestinians from entering it.
Less than two weeks ago, several armed illegal Israeli colonialist settlers, accompanied by soldiers, invaded the al-Mas’udiyya area, on Palestinian lands in Burqa village, northwest of Nablus, and conducted live fire training.
Jerusalem (QNN) – After being pressured from the West Jerusalem Israeli municipality to demolish his own home or pay exorbitant fees if the municipality crews demolish it, a Palestinian citizen of occupied Jerusalem started since yesterday tearing down his own home.
Mohammad Abbasi, a citizen of the neighborhood of Silwan in occupied East Jerusalem, said he started the demolition after he received a demolition order from the Israeli municipality under the pretext of construction without a permit.
Abbasi used a mini excavator to knock down the concrete walls and pillars of the uncompleted house, which he was building on his land with the hope to live in it with his family.
Palestinians in East Jerusalem say getting an Israeli building permit is very difficult and therefore they are forced to build without one.
Using the pretext of illegal building, Israel demolishes houses on a regular basis to restrict Palestinian expansion in occupied Jerusalem.
At the same time, the municipality and government build thousands of housing units in illegal settlements in East Jerusalem for Jewish settlers with a goal to offset the demographic balance in favor of the Jewish settlers in the occupied city.
‘Israeli occupation used lethal force against peaceful protesters,’ the rights group said
Israeli occupation forces shot, wounded at least 161 peaceful protesters in Gaza during the 71st Friday of the Great March of Return and Breaking the Siege, Al-Mezan Centre for Human Rights said.
According to the Centre, the number of the wounded included 56 children, a woman and six paramedics.
The rights group said that the Israeli occupation forces used lethal force against the peaceful protesters, including children and women.
It also reported that the Israeli occupation forces used lethal force against the paramedics who were existed to offer medical first aid to the protesters, stressing all of them were wearing vests showing they were health workers.
Since the start of the protests, the Israeli occupation forces killed over 270 protesters and wounded tens of thousands others.
Demonstrators demand an end to 14-year-old Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip, which has shattered the coastal enclave’s economy and deprived its two million inhabitants of free movement in and out from Gaza and prevented many basic amenities.
It is worth pointing out that Tlaib had become visibly upset when she recalled how she and her mother had to endure “dehumanising checkpoints” in Israel, despite being US citizens simply visiting their Palestinian relatives
By Yvonne Ridley
It is outrageous that US’s closest ally is denying entry to two of its elected lawmakers, but it is even more outrageous that they are only experiencing what millions of Palestinians go through every day.
European settlers were behind the foundation of the United States of America and Israel, both of which are currently steering a path towards right-wing extremism fuelled by race hate. As such, perhaps we should not be in the slightest bit surprised at the blatant emergence of the three-headed monster representing white privilege, racism and nationalism in both countries.
The presence of this grotesque troika is undeniable. Donald Trump, the US President who has already banned millions of Muslims and people of colour from travelling to America has, this week, unveiled plans to detain asylum-seekers and their children indefinitely in his latest aggressive bid to discourage migrants from crossing the US-Mexico border. In Israel, his closest international political ally Benjamin Netanyahu is another unabashed white nationalist, who presides over the apartheid Zionist state which discriminates against its own Palestinian citizens — one-fifth of the population — using openly racist legislation.
If there was any doubt about the naked racism, misogyny and white supremacy at play with these two characters, it surely ended with the well-documented banning of US Congresswomen Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib from making a visit to occupied Palestine and Israel. Both women are Muslim; both are women of colour; and they represent one half of the so-called “Squad” in the House of Representatives in Washington, the other members of which are Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York and Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts.
Tlaib of Michigan — where she was born — is the first Palestinian-American Congresswoman. Both she and Somali-born Omar of Minnesota should have joined around 40 other US politicians for the traditional Washington freebie to Israel typically organised by AIPAC, the immensely influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee or one of its Zionist affiliates. This particular jolly is being funded by the innocuous sounding American Israel Educational Foundation.
The trip would have given Tlaib the opportunity to add on a private, two-day visit to her 90-year-old grandmother Muftiya in Beit Ur Al-Tahta, in the Occupied West Bank. Upon hearing of her plans, apparently, Trump was straight on the phone to his best friend Netanyahu in Tel Aviv. The outcome was predictable: both Tlaib and Omar were denied entry to Israel on the grounds that they support the peaceful Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement which stands up for Palestinian rights.
Quite why anyone should be surprised is beyond me. Not so long ago, Trump told Tlaib and the rest of the Squad to “go back” where they came from.
It was an extraordinary outburst against democratically-elected members of the US Congress, which earned him condemnation from state leaders virtually everywhere in the world apart from — you’ve guessed it — his mate Netanyahu.
The most shocking thing is that these two white nationalists clearly no longer care what the rest of the world thinks about their unbridled misogyny, Islamophobia, racism and hate. Trump even mocked Tlaib’s obvious disappointment and tears over the decision not to let her visit her nonagenarian grandmother, claiming that the Democratic Congresswoman was merely “grandstanding”. It is worth pointing out that Tlaib had become visibly upset when she recalled how she and her mother had to endure “dehumanising checkpoints” in Israel, despite being US citizens simply visiting their Palestinian relatives.
And that is the real story in all of this. It’s not simply about two right-wing white nationalists blocking a couple of US congresswomen from visiting Palestine; it’s also about the millions of Palestinians who, from the 1948 ethnic cleansing of their homeland to this day are not allowed to exercise their legitimate right to return, even for a visit to family and friends.
These diaspora Palestinians may or may not support BDS, but every single one of them is blocked by Israel if they try to exercise that right, despite UN General Assembly Resolution 194 passed on 11 December 1948, which makes it clear that everyone has the right, under international law, to re-enter their country of origin. The fact that this is denied to Palestinian refugees, and that Netanyahu is baiting Trump to annul their refugee status by, in the first instance, shutting down the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) which provides essential services to “Palestine refugees”, should shame us all, especially those who claim to champion human rights and the rule of law.
It is outrageous that America’s closest ally is denying entry to two of its elected lawmakers, but it is even more outrageous that they are only experiencing what millions of Palestinians go through every day. In the rush to condemn Netanyahu about Tlaib and Omar, let us not forget to condemn him for Israel’s ongoing ethnic cleansing and colonisation of Palestine as well. The Nakba didn’t begin and end in 1948; it is ongoing. Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar are important players, but the Palestinians’ inalienable right to return is the real story in all of this.
Israeli regime’s use of human shields to protect and deepen the occupation cost the live of a teenager on Friday August 23rd.
Rina Shnerb(17) died in an explosion of an improvised explosion device in the occupied West Bank near the city of Ramallah. Her brother Dvir(19) suffered serious injuries and her father Eitan mild injuries.
Israel’s regime uses its Jewish citizens, and not only illegal Israeli settlers, as human shields to both pretend that the occupied territories are ‘just another part of Israel’ as long as they don’t get hurt – and to use them for its propaganda in a different way if they do end up suffering.
To the Israeli regime this appears a ‘win-win’ scenario: Either it gets to pretend that there is no occupation but just Greater Israel, or it can make – and the pliant ‘Western’ media will spread – propaganda about the killing and injuring of its human shields by ‘terrorists’.
Hundreds of thousands of Israeli citizens play along with this, endangering not only their own lives but the lives of their families by deliberately putting them in harms’ way in the occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank.
On Friday, during a month which has seen the deaths of a dozen Palestinians and one Israeli occupation soldier, Eitan Shnerb – from the ethnically cleansed city of Lod / Lydda in Palestine 1949 – for some reason took his teenage children to the occupied West Bank to ‘hike’ in an extremely delicate location near the village of Ras Karkar where Israeli occupation has been confiscating land for illegal colonization.
Could not Eitan Shnerb took his children Dvir and Rina to ‘hike’ somewhere else than the occupied territories, in an area there where tensions are especially high? On a site closed to native Palestinians and open only for illegal Israeli settlers and other Israeli citizens? What could motivate a man to endanger his own children in this manner?
We can guess the answer: The form of extremist nationalism we know as Zionism, which makes those in thrall to it love the Israeli occupation more than their own families, making them turn their loved ones into human shields for the occupation; in this case by deliberately taking them into a dangerous, occupied area to pretend that it is just ‘part of Israel’ – and then to demand ‘revenge’ when the loved ones turned into human shields end up hurting as a result.