Palestinian boy stands by as Israeli soldiers demolish his home
Israeli forces mapped overnight Sunday the homes of two Palestinians suspected in the West Bank murder of Israeli soldier Dvir Sorek, ahead of a possible demolition, reports Haaretz.
Cousins Nseir Asafra, 24, and Kassem Asafra, 30, were arrested on Saturday in the Palestinian town of Beit Kahil, northwest of Hebron. Kassem’s wife Enas was also arrested, as was a third man, Akrama Asafra, on suspicion of aiding the two suspects.
The main suspects were passed on for further interrogations by the Shin Bet security services. The Israeli army also confiscated the vehicle that the two are thought to have used in the attack.
The Israeli military said that during the arrests, clashes broke out between security forces and some 100 Palestinians who hurled rocks at troops. Forces used riot dispersal means to disperse the protesters.
Israeli defense officials said that suspects’ questioning reinforces the assessment that they didn’t operate under the guidance of any Palestinian group in the West Bank or Gaza but rather took a spur-of-the-moment decision when they saw Sorek walking alone toward his settlement.
According to authorities, Sorek was returning to the West Bank from a trip to Jerusalem, where he went to buy religious books. The soldier’s family contacted the authorities on Wednesday night and reported him missing after didn’t answer his cellphone.
Security forces say Sorek was attacked and stabbed while walking from a square near the settlement of Efrat toward the entrance gate of Migdal oz, a distance of 200 meters.
Several Israeli army jeeps invaded, Monday, Sebastia town, north of the northern West Bank city of Nablus, and fired many live rounds and gas bombs.
Mohammad Azem, the mayor of Sebastia, said the soldiers invaded many neighborhoods in the town, and fired gas bombs and rounds of live ammunition, to force the Palestinian away, leading to protests.
Azem added that the soldiers have been constantly invading the town, especially since the local council started implementing its tourism project near its archeological site.
Israel has been threatening to demolish Palestinian structures, installed by the local council near the archeological site, while the military has been frequently invading it to accompany groups of illegal colonialist settlers into the area.
GENEVA, Saturday, August 10, 2019 (By The Palestinian News & Info Agency – WAFA) – The Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor and HUMENA for Human Rights and Civil Participation said in a statement today that the systematic destruction of Palestinian homes and property in occupied East Jerusalem amount to ethnic cleansing and is approved by the US administration, which legalized these crimes by declaring Jerusalem the capital of Israel amid international silence that amounts to complicity.
In a report that monitored human rights violations in Jerusalem during July 2019, Euro-Med and HUMENA said that Israeli authorities have stepped up their arbitrary violations against Palestinians living in occupied East Jerusalem. Last month witnessed the largest mass destruction in a single day since 1967 as Israeli authorities demolished 11 residential buildings (72 apartments) in a crime amounting to ethnic cleansing.
The report, entitled “Wadi al-Hummus in Jerusalem; facing Israeli ethnic cleansing,” said that the destruction of Palestinian buildings resulted in the displacement of 22 people, including 14 children, and deprived more than 70 families from their apartments, most of which were still under construction.
The report added that since the beginning of 2019, Israeli authorities destroyed more than 59 houses in East Jerusalem until mid-2019, while 2018 witnessed 215 demolitions.
In addition to Wadi al- Hummus neighborhood, Israeli occupation forces destroyed a car park, a garage, a warehouse, a car wash and five shops in the last month.
Euro-Med and HUMENA monitored five complex violations as part of crimes of settlement expansion and Judaization of the occupied city, most notably the seizure of a Palestinian house and a building evacuation by force in order to hand both over to Israeli settlers. Moreover, at the same time of the demolition of Palestinian homes, Israeli occupation authorities approved the establishment of 216 new housing units in the Gilo settlement.
Several parties, including the Israeli government, municipal authorities of Jerusalem or judicial authorities, collude to carry out systematic demolitions aimed to forcefully displace Palestinians, which falls within the occupation’s efforts to change the demographic reality in the occupied city.
This systematic policy pursued by Israel takes place without any regards to the principles of international law, which reflects Israel’s pursuit of demographic change in East Jerusalem by employing all its government, political and security arms, said the two rights organization.
On the other hand, the two organizations documented two incidents that signify the Israeli occupation’s disregard for Palestinian childhood; such as the summoning of 4-year-old Mohammed Rabi Illian, and the 6-year-old Qais Firas Obeid, under the pretext of throwing stones at their forces.
The report also documented 43 Israeli raids on different towns and neighborhoods in occupied East Jerusalem; which entailed the arrest of 102 civilians, including 19 children, a woman, a girl and a female journalist.
For instance, in five raids that included shooting and direct assault in the neighborhoods of occupied East Jerusalem, Israeli forces injured seven civilians, including a child, a journalist and an elderly.
The Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor and HUMENA called on the international community to break their silence and undertake serious actions to re-tribute the crimes of the occupation and its serious violations of the international law and the international humanitarian law.
The report warned that the silence of the international community after said home demolitions in Wadi al-Hummus – which amounts to a war crime of ethnic cleansing – would essentially encourage the Israeli occupation to continue and escalate the policy of house demolitions and forceful displacement of Palestinians in East Jerusalem.
The Israeli policy of handing notifications of imminent demolition to Palestinians in the city continues, especially amidst rumors of Israeli plans to destroy more than 25 Palestinian houses under the pretext of lacking permits, which Israel rarely grants to any Palestinian properties in the city.
The report also called on the international community to assume its responsibilities towards protecting East Jerusalem and its Palestinian population as inhabitants of an occupied territory, in accordance with the resolutions of the UN Security Council and the UN General Assembly, particularly resolution 181.
The two organizations stressed the need for ending the policy of racial discrimination between Palestinians and Israelis through advancing necessary investigations, prosecution and trial procedures to put an end to such violations. They finally called on international organizations concerned with childhood to urgently intervene to protect Palestinian children in East Jerusalem from Israeli arbitrary arrests, summons and house arrests.
Israeli soldiers abducted, Monday, a Palestinian woman from the southern West Bank district of Hebron, while visiting with her imprisoned son in Hadarim Israeli prison.
The Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) said the soldiers abducted Siham al-Battat, 59, from the ath-Thaheriyya town, southwest of Hebron, while visiting with her imprisoned son, Haitham al-Battat, who is serving three life-terms in prison.
The PPS added that Siham is also a former political prisoner, who was abducted in 2015 and was subjected to a harsh and extended interrogation.
Occupied Jerusalem (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces assaulted on Sunday thousands of uslim worshipers at Al Aqsa mosque, wounding over 60 worshipers and one paramedic.
Local sources said that a volunteer paramedic, who works with the Palestinian Red Crescent, was injured when Israeli forces attacked him with a stun grenade. Other worshipers were wounded by Israeli bullets, stun grenades, and batons.
The Palestinian Red Crescent have said that its teams dealt with 60 cases, some of which were evacuated to hospitals of the holy city of Jerusalem.
Israeli forces also arrested 8 worshipers, some of whom were severely beaten.
Tension has prevailed in the holy mosque on the first day of Eid Al Adha after trials by Jewish fanatics to break into the Al Aqsa mosque. Meanwhile, Israeli forces supported the extremist Israeli settlers, assaulting and beating Muslim worshipers.
Settler groups have previously called for mass raids into the Al Aqsa mosque to celebrate the so called “destruction of the temple”. 400 extremist settlers answered the call, trying to break into the holy mosque and evicting thousands of Muslim worshipers, who were celebrating the first day of Eid Al Adha at the mosque.
HEBRON, PALESTINOW.COM — The Israeli occupation forces (IOF) on Sunday closed the Ibrahimi Mosque in the Old City of al-Khalil before Muslim worshipers and prevented them from performing their prayers at the holy site, including the Eid al-Adha prayer.
According to local sources, the IOF allowed Jewish settlers to perform their Talmudic rituals at the Mosque and to pitch tents in its courtyards.
Meanwhile, the IOF intensified its presence in al-Khalil and its vicinity and obstructed the movement of Palestinian citizens and vehicles on roads around it.
GAZA, PALESTINOW.COM — Head of Hamas’s political bureau Ismail Haneyya has warned of any Israeli measures targeting the Aqsa Mosque through attempting to divide it temporally and spatially or changing its Islamic identity.
In press remarks on Sunday, Haneyya stressed the need for “uniting the Palestinian people, closing ranks and activating all forms of resistance in order to protect the Aqsa Mosque and all Islamic and Christian holy sites.”
“The Hamas leadership is following the Israeli measures against the Aqsa Mosque, the suppression of worshipers and murabatin (sentinels) inside it, and the repeated calls to defile it, especially during the holy Eid al-Adha, in a bid to violate the rights and provoke the feelings of millions of Muslims around the world on these blessed days,” he said.
He called on the Arab nation and the Palestinian people to assume their historical responsibility towards the events happening in Occupied Jerusalem and at the Aqsa Mosque and to support the Jerusalemites and their steadfastness in the face of the most dangerous conspiracy targeting the Mosque.
Abdelrahim Younis spent five months building his own home in the 1990s. Tall and spacious, it was complemented by a rose garden and palm tree at its entrance.
“I wanted to have my extended family with me and my wife when we get old,” said Abdelrahim, 64, who worked in the construction trade for decades.
His wife Ibtisam recalled that “our life was perfect” at the house, which was located in Beit Lahiya, northern Gaza.
“My children and grandchildren were all around me,” she said. “I always organized parties for their birthdays and so many family gatherings. I never expected that we would lose all of this within a moment.”
The family became concerned for their safety as soon as Israel began to bomb Gaza in a major offensive during the summer of 2014. On 8 July that year – the first day of the offensive – all 23 people living in the family’s home were evacuated.
Finding temporary refuge in the homes of relatives, they did not bring anything with them, apart from the clothes they were wearing.
On the evening of 29 July, Abdelrahim received the news he had been dreading. A neighbor phoned him to say the house had been bombed.
“I couldn’t believe what I heard,” Abdelrahim said. “It was like a nightmare.”
Abdelrahim requested that his sons wait until the following day before going to inspect the damage. It was too dangerous to venture outdoors that evening.
“In the morning, my sons and I went to the house and got a huge shock,” he said. “Everything was destroyed. The beautiful garden was turned into a big pile of rubble.”
The family learned that three missiles were fired at the home from an F-16 warplane, supplied to Israel by the US.
Abdelrahim is mystified about why his home was targeted. “My sons and I don’t belong to any political party and were not involved in any military or political activities,” he said. “All we cared about was building the future for our sons and daughters. Israel destroyed my family.”
Across Gaza, more than 19,000 homes were destroyed or made unfit to live in during Israel’s 2014 offensive. A further 100,000 were damaged.
The destruction of their home forced members of the Younis family to make painful decisions.
With Israel placing heavy restrictions on the entry of construction materials into Gaza, rebuilding the home became a major ordeal. And with opportunities extremely limited in the besieged territory, members of the family began emigrating.
Nael, the eldest son of Abdelrahim and Ibtisam, was the first to do so. He moved to Belgium in the winter of 2015 along with his wife and four children.
“I couldn’t stay in Gaza after losing the house,” Nael, a 40-year-old computer engineer, said. “I knew that it would not be rebuilt the same way. We had lost forever our beautiful moments together.”
Two months after Nael’s departure, his brother Muhammad went to Paris. Muhammad initially went alone, traveling through the Rafah crossing, which separates Gaza and Egypt.
He secured a permit to exit Gaza on the basis that he was attending a conference in France. Muhammad’s wife and children were able to join him in Paris within a few months.
Helped by a Palestinian Authority representative in Paris, Muhammad arranged for his mother Ibtisam to emigrate to France during 2016.
Two other brothers, Mahmoud and Ahmad, encountered considerable difficulty in entering Europe.
Both of them left Gaza without their wives or children last year, first traveling to Algeria. They had hoped to enter Spain via Morocco. But the people smugglers who were in charge of their journey abandoned them after taking their money.
The brothers eventually succeeded in entering Spain – but only after they have spent seven months in Africa.
Today, Ahmad is still trying to find a way to bring his family to Spain. Mahmoud has moved on to Sweden and has been diagnosed with health problems caused by the stress of emigration.
“I might return to Gaza,” Mahmoud said. “I can’t imagine another year without my wife and children.”
Mahmoud’s eldest son Nadim was only 2 at the time of the 2014 attack. Being displaced at such a tender age has forced him to grow up quicker than could ever be considered normal or desirable for a child.
“I try not to put him under any pressure,” said Nadim’s mother Zeinab. “But Nadim always offers to help. Because his father is not here, he feels that he has to take responsibility for many things.”
The family’s home was partly rebuilt during 2018 with assistance from UNRWA, the United Nations agency for Palestine refugees. It is considerably smaller than it used to be.
Abdelrahim is distressed that his wife and many of his children have been pushed to emigrate.
Only two of his sons – Hassan and Alaa – remain with him in Gaza. Abdelrahim and Ibtisam also have two daughters, who are still living in Gaza; they had moved out of the family home before it was attacked.
Alaa recalled a conversation he had with his mother in their old house. “She told me that she would search for a bride for me once I had graduated from university,” he said.
Alaa got married in 2016. His mother was unable to attend the wedding. She had left Gaza for France a couple of months earlier.
At 19, Hassan is the youngest boy in the family. He still has vivid memories of his old bedroom in the house, where he kept his PlayStation and a Brazil football jersey.
Five years have passed since the family’s home was destroyed, yet “the pain of losing everything has never gone away,” Hassan said.
“My family is scattered now,” he added. “I know that I am grown up. But I will never stop missing my mother and my brothers. I need them to be with me.”
65 people suffered injuries and 8 were arrested on Sunday August 11th when Israel’s occupation forces attacked crowds at the al-Aqsa mosque compound in occupied East Jerusalem. 15 people of those who suffered injuries needed treatment in hospitals after being given first aid; several of those arrested were said to have been beaten by Israeli occupation forces. The occupation attack was done so that estimated 400 Israeli extremists from groups which wants to build a new Jewish Temple on the site could “tour” it.
Israeli prime minister Benyamin Netanyahu, preparing for September’s Knesset elections, also made a call for all Jews who wish to do so to visit the al-Aqsa mosque compound on Sunday. The Sunday incident was made even more incendiary by the fact that it took place during the major Muslim religious festival of Eid al-Adha. (Source / 12.08.2019)