PLO : ‘UN Failure to Address Israeli Crimes Against Palestinian Kids Inexcusable’

04 AUG12:01 AM

A senior member of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) has censured the United Nations for its failure to include Israel in its annual blacklist of armed forces that commit atrocities against youths, arguing that the world body’s falling short of recognizing Israeli crimes against Palestinian children is inexcusable.

“This failure is inexcusable, given Israel’s dismal human rights record and its documented abuses against Palestinian children, including the arbitrary detention of hundreds of children every year, its use of torture against them and other grave violations, including the deliberate killing and maiming of roughly 2,800 Palestinian children in 2018 alone,” Hanan Ashrawi, a member of the PLO’s executive committee, said in a statement on Thursday.

“Turning a blind eye to Israeli crimes and failing to apply such nominal standards of accountability emboldens the occupying power to escalate its flagrant violations, as documented and reported by human rights organizations,” she added.

Ashrawi noted, “In light of the international community’s abdication of its responsibilities vis-à-vis international law, it is no surprise that Israel continues to commit war crimes and violate international law and human rights on a daily basis with shameful impunity.”

“Additionally, the right-wing in Israel is exploiting the current US-Israeli partnership to create new facts on the ground with absolute disregard for international law and declared rejection of the internationally-endorsed requirements of peace, including Palestinian statehood,” Ashrawi pointed out.

She stressed that “the international community and world bodies have a legal and moral obligation to hold Israel accountable for its relentless criminality and rogue conduct, to preserve the repute and relevance of international rules, and to ensure that Palestinian people enjoy their inalienable and absolute rights to self-determination and freedom.”

“Peace and prosperity in the (Middle East) region will remain elusive as long as racist and colonial agendas that dismiss Palestinian rights are advanced in the wake of international inaction on one hand and US collusion on the other,” Ashrawi underscored.

According to a report by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres that was published late last month, Israeli forces killed and maimed some 2,800 Palestinian children in 2018 – the highest number in years. Israel, however, dodged the UN blacklist.

Some 59 Palestinian children were killed last year and 2,756 more were injured, the UN report said.

More than half of the deaths occurred during demonstrations along the fence separating the impoverished Gaza Strip from the Israeli-occupied territories.

(Source / 04.08.2019) 

Addameer’s Lawyers Visit Three Prisoners on Hunger Strike for 32 Days in Nitzan-Ramle Prison

04 AUG12:01 AM

On Wednesday 31 July 2019, Addameer’s lawyers visited three prisoners who had reached day 32 of their hunger strike. These prisoners include Huthayfa Halibia, Muhammad Abuakkar, and Mustafa Hassanat who are being held in Nitzan-Ramle prison.

The prisoners reported to the lawyer that they will continue their hunger strike until they achieve their demand to end their administrative detention. They only drink water, refuse to undergo medical examinations, and languish alone in their cells with a dungeon-like door that is closed at all times. Muhammad reported that he also suffers under the procrastination of the prison authorities when he asks for water as they are always late when they come. They lawyer confirmed that the three prisoners had difficulty moving, and they attended the lawyer’s visit in a wheelchair. He also reported that they suffer from nausea and stomach pain.

Addameer condemns the persistent intransigence of the occupation authorities and their refusal to meet the demands of the three prisoners after a month of their hunger strike and as a result, putting their lives in danger. Addameer holds the occupying state fully responsible for the safety of the prisoners striking to obtain their legitimate right to freedom and an end to their arbitrary administrative detention.

(Source / 04.08.2019) 

Water Series: ‘There’s No Law in the World that Says You Can Cut Water From Humans’

04 AUG12:01 AM

[This is the second of a series of reports documenting the control and devastation of water sources by Israel as a tool of oppression.]

Israel is escalating its war on water in the South Hebron Hills, demolishing wells, ripping out kilometres of pipeline and even confiscating trucks carrying emergency water tanks to parched villages.

In the sweltering month of July, five demolitions targeting water infrastructure were carried out, leaving Palestinian farming villages without access to water.

The latest took place on Wednesday July 31, when the Israeli Civil Administration – the body that governs Area C in the West Bank – cut pipes supplying water to houses and farmland in the area of al-Jaway near At-Tuwani.

Tariq Hathaleen, a local activist from the South Hebron Hills, says that the number of demolitions on water sources has “more than doubled,” this year compared to previous years.

He told ISM: “Now in the summer it sounds like the Civil Administration has a plan to restrict Palestinian access to water in the South Hebron Hills, in Area C in general, and that’s actually to put more pressure on those people to move them away from those villages.

“Because the Civil Administration don’t have a direct excuse to expel those people from their land but the plan is to put more pressure to make them leave by cutting their water sources.”

On July 4, bulldozers destroyed three water wells outside the town of Dkeika, a day after they came to the same area and uprooted over 500 olive trees.

The destruction of the wells and trees have affected around 1,200 people, 60 per cent of them registered as refugees. according to the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

Four water cisterns were also destroyed on July 24 in a park between the villages of Umm al-Kheir and Umm Daraj

“I know the reality of these people,” Tariq, who was at the demolition, adds. “I call them the enemies of life and they prove this by cutting trees, by cutting water pipes, by cutting the lives of people.”

The Good Shepherd Collective, a group that advocates human rights predominantly in the South Hebron Hills, puts the escalation of demolitions down to the actions of far-right settler NGO Regavim.

Regavim, which receives Israeli tax-payers money and has charitable status, spies on Palestinian communities, looking out for structures built without a permit and reporting them to the ICA. They then speed up demolition cases in the courts through petitions.

Their devastating impact can be seen by the steep rise in demolitions in the South Hebron Hills; 65 structures have been bulldozed or confiscated so far this year, compared to 23 structures in the same period last year, according to OCHA.

“For anyone who still has qualms about the placement of blame on the state or Civil Administration for the act of demolitions, the message of these continued demolitions in natural areas should serve as a clarifying message,” the Good Shepherd Collective said.

“The state, the settlers and the organizations like Regavim that push forward the destruction of these areas, structures and resources for Palestinians are not motivated by the preservation of humanitarian rights, environmental laws, or the protection of the natural environment.”

The series of attacks on water sources in July comes after Israel ripped out a huge pipe network earlier this year that had supplied 12 Palestinian towns in the South Hebron Hills with running water.

The pipes were built in secret and took four months to install. But just six months later, Israel destroyed them, cutting the 20km lifeline.

The 12 villages have had to return to the old method of accessing water – by transporting tanks on tractors along poor roads which wears down the tyres and wastes precious work days.

Transporting water in this way adds to the economic burden of the area’s small villages, costing 30 Israeli shekels for one cubic metre. In contrast Israelis pay just 8 Israeli shekels per cubic metre.

And even the trucks are not safe from Israel’s war on water; on July 15, 18 water tanks were confiscated by Israeli soldiers. In the same raid, several thousand dollars of water pipeline and drilling equipment to install the pipes were also taken.

“The feeling is hard to accept, the fact that those people, those humans out of blood and flesh agree on themselves to cut other peoples’ lives by cutting the water,” Tariq tells ISM.

“It’s far from doing something legal. There’s no law in the world that says you can cut water from humans and forbid him from having water access. Its insane.”

The South Hebron Hills is in Area C of the West Bank which means it is under full Israeli control. Palestinians in this region are denied building permits even to install water pipelines or wells, and are not allowed to hook up to the water network that Israel has laid across Palestinian land to supply illegal settlements.

As a result, villages in the area are subject to unrelenting attacks on not only their water sources but farmland and homes.

(Source / 04.08.2019) 

PALESTINIAN MINISTER SAYS EXCLUDING ISRAEL FROM UN “SHAME” LIST ENCOURAGES OCCUPATION

Ramallah (QNN) – Palestinian Minister of Social Development, Ahmad Majdalani, expressed on Sunday anger over excluding Israel from the UN Secretary General’s report on countries that violate children’s rights.

“UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres seems to have heard nothing of the violations committed by the Israeli occupation government against Palestinian children on a daily basis,” he said, wondering how Israel was excluded from the report at a time it was complicit in the murder and imprisonment of Palestinian children.

“The meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss the issue of children in situations of armed conflict will remain a black spot in the history of the Council, which through such a resolution kills the dreams of the Palestinian children,” Majdalani was quoted by Wafa, the official Palestinian news agency.

“What is required to include Israel in the list of shame? Is it required to carry out more violations, killing and abuse of children in Palestine?” he wondered.

Majdalani called on the UN chief Guterres to “bear in mind that what is happening in Palestine is the result of the military occupation,” and that “Israeli practices, mainly the suffocating siege imposed on the Gaza Strip, amount to collective punishment.”

(Source / 04.08.2019) 

Dozens Of Israeli Settlers Storm Al-Aqsa Mosque

Hordes of Israeli settlers on Sunday morning broke into al-Aqsa Mosque in Occupied Jerusalem under heavy police guard.

Jerusalem’s Islamic Awqaf Department said that 84 Jewish settlers defiled al-Aqsa Mosque while accompanied by a large police force.

It added that the settlers roamed the holy mosque while being given presentations on the alleged “Temple Mount” and tried to perform provocative rituals near the Muslim prayer area of Bab al-Rahma.

(Source / 04.08.2019) 

Israeli Forces Demolish House Under Construction South Of Bethlehem

BETHLEHEM, Sunday, August 04, 2019 – Israeli occupation forces demolished a house under construction belonging to a Palestinian residents in Wad Rahal to the south of Bethlehem, occupied West Bank, said a local official.

Director of the office of the Wall and Settlements Resistance in Bethlehem, Hassan Breijieh, told WAFA correspondent Israeli forces demolished a 79-square-meter house under construction belonging to Jehad al-Faghouri, citing unpermitted construction as a pretext.

(Source / 04.08.2019) 

Samidoun in occupied Palestine urges all to join Ramallah demonstration for Palestinian prisoners

Samidoun in occupied Palestine is calling for a mass demonstration on Wednesday, 7 August to stand with the Palestinian prisoners inside Israeli prisons, especially those on hunger strike against imprisonment without charge or trial. The protest will begin at 4:30 pm at the center of Manara Square, highlighting the fight to end administrative detention and liberate all Palestinian prisoners.

In addition, the protest, being organized with a large participation of youth and students, is also meant to elevate the level of popular support for Palestinian refugees in the camps in Lebanon fighting for civil, social and economic rights and against unjust and discriminatory laws. Palestinians in the West Bank and in diaspora, including those in Lebanon, together filmed a video calling for the march and urging the widest participation in the event.

The protest will include human rights organizations, advocates for Palestinian prisoners, former prisoners and the families of the prisoners on hunger strike. Samidoun activists noted that the Palestinian prisoners inside Israeli jails are engaged in a daily battle of steadfastness to bring an end to administrative detention, while there is a rising movement in the Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon. They called people to participte in the demonstration, particularly as it aims to confront U.S. and Zionist attempts to liquidate Palestinian rights and the Palestinian cause altogether.

There are currently 29 Palestinian political prisoners on hunger strike and 40 more have expressed their intention to join the strike on Monday, 5 August. This demonstration comes to mobilize full support for the prisoners whose bodies and lives are on the line to win their freedom and that of the Palestinian people.

(Source / 04.08.2019) 

CONTINUED ISRAELI OCCUPATION HARASSMENT AT SUR BAHER

Israel’s occupation forces have contnued to harass people at the site of July’s mass demolition southeast of occupied East Jerusalem in the occupied West Bank. After a raid on Thursday night when they confiscated a solidarity tent put up on the site of the mass demolition of apartment houses at Sur Baher’s Wadi al-Hummus on Monday July 22nd, Israel’s occupation forces attacked a protest meeting on the site on Friday August 2nd. The attack began with firing of tear-gas just after a Friday prayer held on the site had ended and led to a minor injury to photographer Iyad Hamad while one person was arrested by Israeli occupation troops.

EA9gFaxW4AEp71B

 On July 22nd Israel’s occupation forces destroyed ten apartment buildings – some finished and housing 24 people while most were in process of being built – in Wadi al-Hummus claiming that the buildings built on area directly controlled by Palestinian Authority would have been too close to the illegal Wall Israel built on the area to separate Sur Baher from the occupied West Bank. When finished, the buildings would have housed an estimated 500 people. (Source / 04.08.2019)