Orthodox Church to challenge sale of its property to Israel settlers

Image of a Russian Orthodox Church in Jerusalem's old city on 16 September 2013 [Saeed Qaq//Apaimages]

An Orthodox Church in Jerusalem’s old city on 16 September 2013 

The Greek Orthodox Church will next week petition against a final ruling of Israel’s Supreme Court which approved the sale of church property in East Jerusalem’s Old City to pro-settlement group Ateret Cohanim.

Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth reported that the petition will argue that the sale of the property was based on bribery and the church figures who signed the deal were corrupt, immediately fleeing the country after signing the deal.

Last month the Supreme Court ruled that the church had failed to provide sufficient evidence that the deal was made fraudulently.

Commenting on the sale of the property, spokesman for the Greek Orthodox Church, Issa Musleh, told AFP that the sale was only made possible by forged documents.

Read: Orthodox Church rejects Israel court over Jerusalem property sales

The sale, which took place in 2004, triggered widespread Palestinian anger and led to the 2005 dismissal of Patriarch Irineos I.

“The settlers want to take over our heritage,” Musleh stressed.

According to Yedioth Ahronoth, the petition will be based on the accounts of Ted Bloomfield, director of the Petra Hotel, one of the sold properties. He said that Ateret Cohanim had paid him money for years in order to push forward the selling of the hotel.

He also said that the director of Ateret Cohanim, Matti Dan, had bribed the deputy of Patriarch Irineos I and the accountant of the church for years in order to facilitate the deal.

Read: Israel evicts Palestinian family from Jerusalem home, hand it to settlers

(Source / 13.07.2019) 

Report: 74 Palestinians wounded by Israel forces in Gaza

The wounded included 23 children, two women, two journalists and two paramedics   

At least 74 Palestinians were injured by Israeli forces, while participating in the 66th consecutive protest of the March of Return at the Gaza-Israel barrier on July 12, 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
At least 74 Palestinians were injured by Israeli forces, while participating in the 66th consecutive protest of the March of Return at the Gaza-Israel barrier on July 12, 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
At least 74 Palestinians were injured by Israeli forces, while participating in the 66th consecutive protest of the March of Return at the Gaza-Israel barrier on July 12, 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]

At least 74 Palestinians were wounded in Israel’s crackdown on the 66th Friday of the Great March of Return and Breaking the Siege in the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) has said.

According to the rights group, the wounded included 23 children, two women, two journalists and two paramedics.

The Great March of Return began on 30 March 2018, calling for an end to Israel’s ongoing siegeon Gaza and reinforcing the right of return. Since then, Israel has killed 306 protesters and wounded around 17,000 others.

Israel military reporter: Gaza war ‘not far away’, will be deadliest yet

At least 74 Palestinians were injured by Israeli forces, while participating in the 66th consecutive protest of the March of Return at the Gaza-Israel barrier on July 12, 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
At least 74 Palestinians were injured by Israeli forces, while participating in the 66th consecutive protest of the March of Return at the Gaza-Israel barrier on July 12, 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
At least 74 Palestinians were injured by Israeli forces, while participating in the 66th consecutive protest of the March of Return at the Gaza-Israel barrier on July 12, 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
At least 74 Palestinians were injured by Israeli forces, while participating in the 66th consecutive protest of the March of Return at the Gaza-Israel barrier on July 12, 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]
At least 74 Palestinians were injured by Israeli forces, while participating in the 66th consecutive protest of the March of Return at the Gaza-Israel barrier on July 12, 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]

(Source / 13.07.2019) 

3,000 Protest in Gaza for Great Return March as Egyptian Delegation Arrives

13 JUL12:00 AM

A day after Israeli forces “mistakenly” shot and killed a Palestinian security guard trying to prevent protesters from reaching the border fence with Israel, thousands of people turned out Friday midday to protest the escalation in ‘Great Return March’ protests in northern, southern and eastern Gaza.

One Palestinian couple used the occasion to celebrate their wedding, with their cheers and songs interjected by Israeli tear gas and shooting.

At least 40 Palestinians were shot and injured, while dozens of others suffered from tear-gas inhalation, as Israeli occupation forces suppressed protesters along the eastern fence of the besieged Gaza Strip, according to the Palestinian ministry of Health in Gaza.

A protester in Rafah was critically injured by live gunfire fired by Israeli soldiers towards the demonstrators.

Some local sources have reported that as many as 33 Palestinians were hit with live ammunition at Friday’s protests, and up to 55 total injured.

The protests took place as delegates from Egypt arrived in the besieged coastal Strip to try to negotiate with the Hamas leadership.

The Egyptians are working with the Israeli administration to try to get Hamas to agree to continue to hold to a fragile truce with Israel, which was broken the day before by Israeli forces who killed a civil official in Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of Hamas.

28-year-old Palestinian Mahmoud al-Adham was shot and killed by Israeli forces Thursday near Beit Hanoun in the northern part of the Strip, while trying to stop Palestinian teens who were going near the fence marking the border with Israel.

The Al-Qassam Brigades said that it would not let the death go “unpunished”.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated, “I prefer that there be calm. But we are preparing for a campaign that is not only broad but also surprising.”

Israel agreed to expand the fishing zone to 15 miles off the coast of Gaza – far less than what had been negotiated in previous signed agreements. In addition, Israeli authorities had recently agreed to allow more permits for some Palestinian laborers to enter Israel to work.

The 13-year old siege on the Gaza Strip has led to more than 80% unemployment, and a severe economic crisis that has been exacerbated by Israel’s periodic bombing campaigns against the imrpisoned and besieged population – more than half of whom are children.

(Source / 13.07.2019) 

Army Delivers A Demolition Order Against a Home Near Hebron

13 JUL4:34 PM

Israeli soldiers invaded, Saturday, Beit Ummar town, north of the southern West Bank city of Hebron, and delivered a demolition order, targeting a Palestinian home in Wad ash-Sheikh area, near the main entrance of the town.

Mohammad Awad, a local media and human rights activists, said the soldiers delivered the order to Mohammad Ali al-Allami, informing him of the army’s decision to demolish his property of 150 square/meters, consisting of one floor and a basement.

Awad added that the land where the home is located is under the administrative control of Beit Ummar town council, and the Palestinian had all needed legal documents, including permits and proof of ownership.

(Source / 13.07.2019) 

Israeli navy attacks Gaza fishermen, detains two

Gaza fishermen come under daily Israeli attacks in the depth of the sea

Israeli occupation navy attacked on Saturday morning Palestinian fishermen near Rafah, south of the Gaza Strip, detained two fishermen and seized their boat.

Local sources said that the Israeli navy shot live fire at the fishing boat owned by Mohammad and his brother Ahmad Bardawil.

Then, they opened the water hoses at the fishing boat while sailing in the sea before detaining the two brothers and seizing the boat.

Gaza fishermen report daily harassment by the Israeli navy, which prevents them from doing their work and earning a decent living.

(Source / 13.07.2019) 

Israeli occupation wounds 72 protesters during weekly Gaza protests

Since the start protests, Israeli occupation has killed 306 Palestinians, including 44 children, two women, nine disabled, two journalists and four paramedics

Israeli occupation forces shot and wounded 72 peaceful Palestinian protesters during Friday protests of Great March of Return and Breaking the Siege in Gaza.

According to Al-Mezan Centre for Human Rights said that the number included 24 children, two women, one paramedic and two journalists.

The protests started on 30 March 2018 to call for ending the 13-year-old strict and oppressive Israeli siege imposed on Gaza, as well as to reinforce the Palestinians’ right of return to their homeland they were forced out in 1948.

Since the start of the protests, the Israeli occupation forces have killed 306 Palestinians, including 44 children, two women, nine disabled, two journalists and four paramedics.

In addition, they have wounded 17,318 protesters, including 4,141 children, 777 women, 172 journalists and 201 paramedics.

(Source / 13.07.2019) 

African Group To UN: Hold Israel Accountable For Crimes Against Palestinians

The African Group has called on the United Nations (UN) to hold Israel accountable for its crimes against Palestinians.

The African Group – sometimes known as the Group of African States – is a regional assembly within the UN comprised of 54 member states from the African continent. It represents 28 per cent of all UN members.

The group yesterday addressed the 41st session of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in Geneva, Switzerland, one item of which discussed the human rights situation in the occupied Palestinian territories (oPt).

The group’s representative, Andre da Conceicao Domingos of Angola, called for the international community to act to end Israel’s now 52-year-old occupation and the blockadeit has imposed on the Gaza Strip since 2007, as well as to end Israel’s illegal settlement project, imprisonment of Palestinians and policy of collective punishment.

Some members of the African Group also submitted individual statements, with Nigeria’s representative Muhammad Isa stressing the need to avoid double standards in the implementation of international law and human rights. He also demanded accountability from Israel in this regard.

South Africa’s representative Nozipho Mxakato-Diseko also addressed the session, telling the council that “Israel’s occupation is virtually indistinguishable from annexation”. Mxakato-Diseko also condemned Israel’s theft of Palestinian water resources and pointed out that while Israel markets desalination and water technology to the world, it is responsible for water scarcity in the oPt.

African states have long been outspoken supporters of the Palestinian cause. This weekend the grandson of iconic South African leader Nelson Mandela, Nkosi Zwelivelile Mandela, attended London’s Palestine Expo – Europe’s biggest Palestine exhibition which shed light on the plight of Palestinian refugees and those living under Israel’s occupation.

Addressing the conference, Mandela said that “we have a moral duty to support BDS and to support the Palestinian struggle,” referring to the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement.

Mandela congratulated the Palestine Expo for “creating a unique experience which proudly celebrates Palestinian art, history and culture whilst fostering discussion and activism in the UK”, but emphasised to audiences that the event “reminds us of the reality of a nation that has now withstood 71 years of the Nakba,” during which 750,000 Palestinians were forcibly displaced from their homes.

Mandela was also critical of an attempt by anti-Palestine group UK Lawyers for Israel (UKLFI) to cancel the Palestine Expo. Last week it emerged that UKLFI had made several attempts to cancel the exhibition, claiming its organisers are “major promoters” of BDS. The group also tried to convince the German owners of London Olympia – where the event took place – to cancel the exhibition in light of a non-binding motion recently passed in Germany claiming that BDS is “anti-Semitic”.

The South African MP slammed these moves, claiming they “reflect the desperation that Apartheid Israel and its lackeys are resorting to in silencing peaceful popular protest”. He stressed: “We say to them and all who seek to deny our basic human rights such as freedom of expression – hands off BDS, hands off Palestine Expo.”

(Source / 13.07.2019) 

10-YEAR-OLD BOY SHOT, CRITICALLY WOUNDED BY ISRAELI OCCUPATION FORCES

A young child has been shot in head and critically wounded by Israel’s occupation forces during the weekly Friday demonstration held in the village of Kafr Qaddoum on the occupied West Bank on July 12th. Israel’s occupation forces ambushed participants of the demonstration and invaded the village itself, using live ammunition, rubber-coated steel bullets and tear-gas grenades, injuring several people. Among those shot and wounded is 10-year-old Abdulrahman Yasser Shteiwi, who was shot in head by Israeli occupation troops. According to different sources he was shot with either live ammunition or a rubber-coated steel bullets. About equal amount of reports cite either former or latter. His condition at first was described as ‘very serious’ and later, in hospital, as ‘critical’. Abdulrahman was taken to the Rafidia hospital in the city of Nablus – with the trip taking half-an-hour longer than necessary because of the closure by Israeli occupation of the main road from Kafr Qaddoum to neighbouring towns. This closure that has lasted for 16 years is the main reason for the weekly demonstrations in Kafr Qaddoum and it not only complicates daily life but endangers the lives of people during medical emergencies like that of Abdulrahman Shteiwi. (Source / 13.07.2019)