Report: Rajoub likely to succeed Abbas as PA president

Image of senior Fatah official Jibril Rajoub [Shadi Hatem/Apaimages]

Senior Fatah official Jibril Rajoub

Senior Fatah and Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) leader Jibril Al-Rajoub is likely to succeed current Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Shehab reported yesterday, citing Israeli news website Walla.

Walla claimed that Al-Rajoub’s senior position as head of the Palestinian Football Association, closeness to Abbas and ability to impact the Palestinian people qualify him to take Abbas’ position. The news site also claimed that Al-Rajoub has the support of several officials, including dismissed Fatah leader Mohammad Dahlan.

Al-Rajoub has previously been named as a potential successor to Abbas, with a Spanish newspaper writing a year ago – when Abbas was admitted to hospital three times and concerns about his health began to circulate – that Al-Rajoub was the preferred successor to the president.

Abbas has served as president since 2005, when he was endorsed by Fatah’s Revolutionary Council and elected by the Palestinian public to head the Palestinian Authority (PA). Whether elections will be held to choose Al-Rajoub as Abbas’ successor, or whether he will simply be appointed to the role, is not yet clear.

READ:  Trump is ‘very fond’ of Palestinian President Abbas, willing to engage on peace plan – Kushner

(Source / 06.07.2019) 

PA to hold elections if no reconciliation with Hamas

Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh makes a speech as he leads the weekly cabinet meeting at the Prime Ministry building in Ramallah, West Bank on 6 May 2019

Palestinian Authority (PA) Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh said on Thursday that the PA will hold a general election if it fails to reach a reconciliation deal with Hamas.

During a celebration for the Palestinian Red Crescent, Shtayyeh said that “if there is no agreement with Hamas, we would turn to the people to have their say. We are ready for this,” Anadolu Agency reported.

The PA – which is dominated by Fatah – has been engaged in a spat with Hamas since the latter won the Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC) elections in 2006. When the PA refused to concede defeat, a power struggle and conflict ensued, resulting in Hamas governing the besieged Gaza Strip and the PA governing the occupied West Bank.

READ: Hamas rejects Egypt proposal to return Rafah Crossing to PA

Shtayyeh also discussed Israel’s illegal settlements in the West Bank, stressing that his government would prosecute anyone involved in facilitating Israeli settlement whether they were diplomats, companies or settlers.

His comments were likely referring to the participation of US Ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, and US President Donald Trump’s Advisor to the Middle East, Jason Greenblatt, in opening a settler tunnel dubbed “Pilgrims’ Road” under Palestinian houses in Jerusalem.

Shtayyeh said: “We a saw an ambassador of great power taking part in demolishing Palestinian houses in Silwan… This has never happened in the history of the world’s diplomacy.”

READ: Palestinian anger at US participation in tunnel opening (Source / 06.07.2019) 

Israeli Government Eases Restrictions on Gaza, Army Prepares for Military Campaign

Gas canisters fall among Palestinians during a demonstration near the border of Gaza City, on March 30, 2019 

The Israeli government announced easing the restrictions imposed on Gaza Strip, within the framework of its understandings with Hamas. Meanwhile, the Israeli army is preparing for an intensive drill of a wide-scale military campaign.

Over the recent months, the Israeli cabinet had relaxed a minor part of their blockade over the strip. It allowed the transfer of $30 million Qatari funds, the entrance of fuel to increase electricity supply hours, and the expansion of the fishing zone in the Mediterranean. 

Israeli authorities also agreed to remove items from the “blacklist” of goods banned from entering Gaza, expand the export basket, and increase the number of merchants allowed to enter Israel.

Sources revealed that among the 18 items are steel cables for large fishing boats; banned for fear that they would be used for underground tunnels, and fertilizer for agriculture that had previously been banned. In addition, the export of iron doors, aluminum housewares, wipes and toys were permitted.

Authorities lowered the age over which Gaza merchants would be permitted to enter Israel from 35 to 25, thus increasing the number of merchants authorized to enter Israel to 5,000.

Sources revealed that Israel is considering to allow the construction of a controlled industrial zone on the border with Gaza, funded by Qatar, which is predicted to employ up to 5000 workers. 

The agreement was reached following an understanding between Qatar and Hamas on ensuring strict Israeli control of the industrial zone and materials manufactured.

The new employment for the Gaza residents will include fields of agriculture, textile, food and furniture; as long as security is maintained in the region. 

The far right-forces of the government criticized PM Benjamin Netanyahu for easing the restrictions, to which he responded saying Israel’s policy is clear: “We want to return calm, but at the same time, we are preparing for a large-scale military operation, if necessary. These are my orders to the military”. 

Meanwhile, the Israeli army unveiled this week drills conducted by soldiers and officers of the southern brigade to occupy several populated towns and neighborhoods. The command explained that the army was trained on occupying such neighborhoods with maintaining the least losses possible among Israelis.

The command admitted that a land invasion would be costly, but it will cost Palestinians much more, noting that the army will introduce into the battle modern and surprising weapons and warfare equipment.

(Source / 06.07.2019)

Abbas ordered PA forces not to respond to Israel fire

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas holds a press conference at the Presidency Building in Ramallah, West Bank on 3 July 2019. [Issam Rimawi - Anadolu Agency]

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas holds a press conference at the Presidency Building in Ramallah, West Bank on 3 July 2019

Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas ordered his forces not to respond to Israeli fire in the northern West Bank city of Nablus, Israeli news website Walla reported yesterday.

A Palestinian security officer was wounded in the incident, but, according to Walla, this did not harm security cooperation between the two sides.

The Israeli army claimed that its forces opened fire at the PA security officers last month by mistake. According to Israel’s Channel 10, Israeli forces doubted the existence of armed people during an arrest campaign. They opened fire at them and only later recognised them as PA security officers.

The Israeli army claimed that it would investigate the “abnormal” incident, while Israeli commanders talked with their PA counterparts to calm the situation.

READ: Israel to deduct $3.9m from Palestine tax revenues

(Source / 06.07.2019) 

Israel hides documents about crimes against Palestinians during Nakba

According to a document from 1948, 70 per cent of the Arabs left as a result of Jewish military operations,’ Haaretz reported

Palestinians fleeing their homes during the 1948 Nakba - 'the great catastrophe'

File photo of Palestinians fleeing their homes during the 1948 Nakba – ‘the great catastrophe’

Teams from Israel’s Defence Ministry started a decade ago to remove and hide documents from the Israeli archives related to crimes against Palestinians during the Nakba of 1948, Israeli newspaper Haaretz revealed yesterday.

In a long report, Haaretz said that in addition to removing documents related to Israel’s nuclear plant and external relations, the Defence Ministry team has been systematically hiding hundreds of documents in an attempt to remove evidence of the Nakba.

Haaretz noted that the removal of the historic documents was first noticed by the Akevot Institute for Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Research.

“According to a report drawn up by the institute, the operation is being spearheaded by Malmab, the Defense Ministry’s secretive security department, whose activities and budget are classified”.

“The report asserts that Malmab removed historical documentation illegally and with no authority, and at least in some cases has sealed documents that had previously been cleared for publication by the military censor. Some of the documents that were placed in vaults had already been published.”

Malmab, according to Haaretz, is the Hebrew acronym for “director of security of the defense establishment”.

In 1948, some 750,000 Palestinians were forced to leave their homes and properties, fleeing Zionist militant groups which committed massacres against Palestinians in numerous Palestinian villages, towns and cities.

READ: Palestinian grandmother wins legal battle to visit father’s grave in Israeli army base

Since then, Israel has refused to let Palestinian refugees return to their homes, despite several UN resolutions which specified they should do so.

Haaretz said that it conducted an investigative report which “found that Malmab has concealed testimony from IDF generals about the killing of civilians and the demolition of villages, as well as documentation of the expulsion of Bedouin during the first decade of statehood”.

It also said that conversations “with directors of public and private archives alike revealed that staff of the security department had treated the archives as their property, in some cases threatening the directors themselves”.

The Israeli newspaper revealed that Yehiel Horev, who headed Malmab for two decades until 2007, acknowledged “that he launched the project, which is still ongoing”.

Haaretz also reported that “he maintains that it makes sense to conceal the events of 1948, because uncovering them could generate unrest among the country’s Arab population”.

Replying to questions by Haaretz about the wisdom behind removing documents which are already in the hands of the public, Horev “explained that the objective is to undermine the credibility of studies about the history of the refugee problem”.

According to Haaretz, Horev believes that “an allegation made by a researcher that’s backed up by an original document is not the same as an allegation that cannot be proved or refuted”.

The Israeli daily mentioned the content of one of the documents at the beginning of its report which reads: “Safsaf [former Palestinian village near Safed] – 52 men were caught, tied them to one another, dug a pit and shot them. 10 were still twitching. Women came, begged for mercy. Found bodies of 6 elderly men. There were 61 bodies. 3 cases of rape, one from Safed, girl of 14, 4 men shot and killed. From one they cut off his fingers with a knife to take the ring.”

READ: Palestinian oral history map launched

(Source / 06.7.2019) 

Settlers Paint Racist Graffiti in Tel Aviv

06 JUL3:25 AM

Israeli settlers from the terrorist price-tag group spray-painted racist graffiti outside the Arab dormitory, in Tele Aviv University, students said.

The students told journalists that settlers broke into the surroundings of their dormitory and spray-painted racist, hate and anti-Arab graffiti on walls.

Settler violence against Palestinians and their property is commonplace and is rarely prosecuted by Israeli authorities.

“Price tag” refers to an underground anti-Palestinian Israeli group that routinely attack Palestinians in the occupied territories and inside Israel.

The Israeli government still refuses to label it as a terrorist organization and considers it only as group of vandals, WAFA reports.

(Source / 06.07.2019) 

ISRAELI OFFICER WHO KILLED AN ETHIOPIAN TEEN HAS KILLED BLINDFOLDED PALESTINIAN WORKER BEFORE

The mother of 29-year-old Iyad Abu Raayeh mourns over his body as relatives stand around her prior to his burial in the West Bank village of Tarqumia close to the town of Hebron, 05 October 2006. Raayeh was killed during a police identification check in the coastal Israeli city of Jaffa, just south of Tel Aviv, police said, describing the incident as an accident. “The gun accidentally fired, mortally wounding him,” he said, adding that the police have opened an investigation into the incident

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- The Israeli policeman, who has killed a 17-year-old Israeli Ethiopian settler a few days ago erupting riot in Tel Aviv by Flash Mura settlers, has turned out to be responsible for the murder of Iyad Abu Raiyyeh at Jaffa in 2006 in cold blood, according to lawyers.

The Israeli officer at the time was a border guard. His unit raided a building under construction in Jaffa, in which several Palestinian workers were working without having permissions. Three Palestinians, including Abu Raiyyeh, were held and led to another room after being handcuffed and blindfolded, then they were violently beaten.

After being beaten they were ordered by the aforementioned Israeli officer to sit down with their faces towards a wall. Another Israeli border guard pulled his weapon and executed Abu Raiyyeh then claimed later on that it was by mistake, which is the very same claim said by the officer after killing the Ethiopian settler.

In 2008 an Israeli court decided that the murder was committed without any previous intentions and that it was out of recklessness.

The officer lives now in a hotel in Tel Aviv under heavy guard for “fears of his life”.

(Source / 06.07.2019) 

95 Palestinians injured Zionist Israeli in Gaza weekly march

GAZA, PALESTINOW.COM —Thousands of protesters took part Friday, in the weekly Great March of Return, at Israel’s so-called security fence, bordering Gaza, according to Palestinian WAFA Agency.

According to medical sources, some of the injured being treated in field hospitals, while others had to be transferred to hospital for medical care.

According to the Palestinian Center for Human Rights, 95 people were injured by Israeli forces, including 33 children, 1 journalist, and 4 women, one of which was a volunteer medic

PCHR has documented that Israeli soldiers have killed 207 Palestinians, including 44 children, 2 women and 9 Palestinians with special needs, in addition to 4 medics and 2 journalists, since March 30th, 2018.

The PCHR added that the number of wounded Palestinians is 13053, including 2638 children, 398 women, 214 medics and 203 journalists.

The Great March of Return protests began on March 30, 2018, in which the nearly 2 million Palestinians in Gaza started asserting their right to return to their ancestral homes in pre-1948 Palestine, as well as calling for the complete lifting the illegal Israeli siege of Gaza.

According to Protocol 1 of the Geneva Convention, it is illegal to target civilians, which Israel has been doing since the outset of the demonstrations.

According to Article 11 of UN Resolution 194, the refugees living in Gaza have the right to return to the land they and their ancestors were forcefully evicted from in 1948, now called Israel.

(Source / 06.07.2019) 

Zionist police arrest parents, their kids in Al-Quds

AL-QUDS, PALESTINOW.COM — The Israeli occupation police on Monday night assaulted and kidnaped four Jerusalemite citizens from the same family in the holy city.

According to local sources, police forces kidnapped Ahmed al-Zaghel, his wife and two kids, with no known reason.

At first, the police forces stormed the house of Ahmed al-Zaghel in Silwan district in order to arrest his son Ibrahim, who was not at home, so they rounded up his father and detained him aboard a police vehicle at the junction of Ras al-Amud neighborhood.

Soon later, his son Ibrahim showed up and turned himself in, but the police forces subdued and physically assaulted him before they also assaulted his mother and his brother Hussein and rounded them up.

The police forces also attacked other young citizens as they were trying to defend the family.

(Source / 06.07.2019) 

Jordanian Delegation Leaves OSCE Conference Because Of Israel

Jordanian delegation leaves OSCE conference because of Israel - Photo File

Jordanian delegation leaves OSCE conference because of Israel

A Jordanian parliamentary delegation on Wednesday withdrew from the annual five-day conference of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), which is being held in Luxembourg.

The Jordanian delegation, led by assistant speaker of the house of representatives MP Ibrahim Al-Qar’an, withdrew from the first day of the conference to protest against the seating of its delegation site next to lawmakers from the Israeli occupation state.

It is not clear if the Jordanian delegation will attend the remaining days of the conference or not.

The OSCE Parliamentary Assembly is meeting for its 28th annual session in Luxembourg on 4-8 July 2019, which is held under the theme “Advancing Sustainable Development to Promote Security.”

Al-Qar’an said the Jordanian delegation withdrew after he was surprised that the seat allocated to him was at the same table prepared for the Israeli delegation.

The Jordanians made several attempts to convince the organizers of the conference to change the seat of their delegation or to remove the Israeli delegation, but their request was declined.

Al-Qar’an said that despite the delegation’s keenness on attending the conference, the principle of not sitting next to Israelis “came from our principles, morals and our religion that does not allow us to sit with people from the Zionist entity that has usurped our holy places.”

(Source / 06.07.2019)