Crimes Against Palestinian Detainees Taking On Dangerous Dimension

09 JUN1:37 AM

Qadri Abu Bakr, chairman of the Detainees Affairs Commission, has condemned the repeated crimes committed, by Israel, against Palestinians being held in its jails, which he says have taken “a very dangerous and unprecedented dimension” designed to complicate their daily lives in prison.

Abu Bakr said in a statement, yesterday, that Israel is mobilizing all its capacities to create new realities in the prisons. He stressed that Israel uses all available opportunities to crack down on prisoners and their families.

He added, according to WAFA: “There are daily incursions into prisons and detention centers, and a large number of detainees are transferred from one prison to another.”

Abu Bakr argued that Israel does not want Palestinian prisoners to have stable conditions in jail, pointing to the instruction issued by Ashkelon prison last week not to allow prisoners to celebrate Eid El-Fitr as evidence that Israel is racist.

(Source / 09.06.2019) 

Illegal Israeli Colonists Try To Stop The Installation Of Cellular Phone Tower

09 JUN7:05 PM

A group of illegal Israeli colonialist settlers attempted, Sunday, to stop the workers of the Wataniya Palestine Mobile Telecommunication Public Shareholding Company from installing a cellular tower, east of Hebron city, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank.

Media sources said approximately 50 Israeli colonists from the illegal Havat Gal outpost and Keryat Arba’ colony, accompanied by many soldiers, tried to stop the installation of the tower on the rooftop of a Palestinian home in the al-Kassara area, east of Hebron city.

Despite the attack, and an ensuing argument, the workers proceeded to install the tower, and the colonists left the scene.

The attack, and the attempt to stop the work, took place while many Israeli companies have been installing cellular towers in the same area, in the occupied city.

(Source / 09.06.2019) 

PPS: “Israeli Soldiers Abduct 37 Palestinians During Al-Fitir Feast”

09 JUN7:33 PM

The Palestinian Prisoners’ Society has reported that Israeli soldiers abducted 37 Palestinians, including three women, during the Al-Fitir Muslim Feast. The abductions took place within three days, including Sunday at dawn.

The PPS said that eleven of the abducted Palestinians were taken prisoner from their homes in several parts of Jenin governorate, in northern West Bank, and added that two of them are women.

It stated that the soldiers also abducted six Palestinians, including a young woman, from several parts of occupied East Jerusalem.

Five other Palestinians were abducted from Qalqilia governorate, five in Bethlehem, four in Ramallah, three in Tubas, one in Tulkarem, in addition to two, including a child, from Hebron.

(Source / 09.06.2019) 

FORMER PALESTINIAN REFUGEE SAYS HE’S BEEN FORCED TO LIVE IN A VAN SINCE ARRIVING IN NEW ZEALAND

New Zealand (QNN) – Born a refugee, Ibrahim Aziz came to New Zealand to start a new life. Almost a year later he is living in a van, and contemplating leaving the country.

“I have spent half my life just waiting,” the 37-year-old Palestinian man said.

He spent years waiting for Israeli authorities to issue him with the paperwork he needed to leave his homeland, and then spent several years in Malaysia before any country would take him.

Now his patience with New Zealand, where he arrived on July 4, has fast run out.

He has a long list of grievances with agencies, with those encounters resulting in him cancelling his benefit, going on a hunger strike, and spending several nights in a mental health facility.

“Why should I be a New Zealander if I’m never respected?” he asks, standing in central Dunedin by the van he has called home for two months.

He maintained that many refugees were too scared of speaking out over fears they would be stripped of their permanent residence.

That included issues with agencies, employment and housing.

His situation comes weeks after Stuff highlighted housing issues faced by some former refugees living in Dunedin.

That included families living in a cold, damp homes, which left children with blood stained mattresses as they struggled to breath at night, and sodden and mouldy carpet infested with worms.

Community worker Charlotte Wilson, of The Valley Project which helped some of the refugee families with this housing plight said some refugees felt abandoned by Red Cross and Government agencies.

That included one former refugee whose stress levels “are as high if he is at war and he feels unsafe”.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment declined to release information over housing concerns raised by those former refugees, citing privacy.

However Andrew Lockhart, Immigration New Zealand’s refugee and protection national manager, confirmed “three significant matters that directly impacted on the tenancy”, had been raised among a small number of concerns about housing.

Those issues included location, condition, rental cost and ongoing tenancy of the properties.

Quota refugees such as Ibrahim Aziz, who was one of 548 to resettle in Dunedin in the three year period to April 5, 2019.

Aziz said he could not fault the Mangere Refugee Resettlement Centre, where refugees participate in a reception programme that focuses on living and working in New Zealand.

It was there at the Auckland-based facility where the housing needs of all quota refugees were assessed by the Ministry of Social Development.

Those families were given detailed information about benefit support, and then Housing New Zealand helped match them with public properties, or if no match a private rental house was sought by Immigration New Zealand.

Aziz, who has no family, said he had no complaints about his subsidised house which he paid $53 a week for.

But in April he decided to stop that rental, and move into his non-self contained van with a mattress in the back..

“It was a stupid decision,” he concedes given winter was fast approaching, but was happy other people would be able to live in the house.

But he remained unhappy with Red Cross, which is contracted by Immigration New Zealand to provide 12 months settlement support to quota refuges in the current settlement locations.

That programme included community orientation programmes, and connecting refugees to services such as medical appointments, English language courses, housing support, education and employment.

Aziz said he had issues with Red Cross, and felt his card was marked from the start.

“I received things from the Government; table to eat on, and fridge.”

He declined the Red Cross offers of other extras such as a TV, and because “if I need something I will work to get it”.

Red Cross told Stuff the organisation would “not comment on individual cases”.

“We take complaints about any of our work seriously and have processes in place to help ensure they are dealt with effectively and appropriately.”

Aziz remained concerned that the offers from Red Cross would make former refugees “just expect things from you”.

“I don’t want things, I want things to help me with my new community, like services.”

Aziz, who had worked as a facilitator with the United Nations in Palestine, said all he wanted was a job.

“I want to work. I will do anything.”

Instead he was told that was too soon, and instead he had to improve his English.

He became stressed, and “I stayed inside these four walls, and I don’t have any friends”.

That stress cumulated in him going on a hunger strike back in October, and then he spent several days in a mental health facility – “the lowest point in my life”.

His mounting stress led to him shifting his home into a van, staying at freedom camping spots around Dunedin, while working as a cleaner and offering gardening services.

At one point he even stopped his bank account and his benefit.

“I wanted to leave the country,” the Palestinian passport holder said.

Aziz left for Wellington last week, where he plans to save for a ticket back to Malaysia in the next few months.

“It is better for me than just my eat and sleep life here.”

(Source / 09.06.2019) 

Hundreds of Israeli Jewish settlers storm Al-Aqsa Mosque

Israeli Jewish settlers, including senior officials desecrate Al-Aqsa Mosque on daily basis

Protected with large number of Israeli military police, hundreds of Israeli Jewish settlers raided on Sunday Al-Aqsa Mosque, Jerusalem’s Religious Endowments said.

“Israeli police shut the compound’s Al-Mugharbah Gate after allowing 334 settlers through it into the site,” the Jordan-run authority tasked with overseeing the city’s Muslim and Christian holy sites, said in a statement.

Last week, a settler tour inside the flashpoint site during the final day of the fasting month of Ramadan triggered clashes between Israeli police and Palestinian worshippers.

For Muslims, the Al-Aqsa represents the world’s third holiest site. Jews, for their part, refer to the area as the “Temple Mount”, claiming it was the site of two Jewish temples in ancient times.

Israel occupied East Jerusalem, in which the Al-Aqsa is located, during the 1967 Arab-Israeli War.

In a move never recognised by the international community, Israel annexed the entire city in 1980, claiming it as the self-proclaimed Jewish state’s “eternal and undivided” capital.

(Source / 09.06.2019) 

HUNGER-STRIKER AL-AWEIWI STOPS DRINKING WATER AFTER 69 DAYS

Political prisoner Hassan al-Aweiwi has been on hunger-strike for 69 days by Sunday June 9th, protesting against his imprisonment without charge or trial. The 35-year-old father of three from Hebron has lost 20 kilograms from his weight during the hunger-strike. Moved on Thursday from Ramle prison clinic to civilian medical centre in ethnically cleansed Palestine 1948 because of deterioration of his condition, on Saturday he declared that he would stop drinking water. This makes al-Aweiwi’s hunger-strike a dry hunger-strike. Until now he has drank salt water. He was arrested by Israel’s occupation forces on January 15th and declared his hunger-strike on April 2nd after Israeli occupation military court continued his administrative detention. (Source / 09.06.2019)