Israel prevents Palestinians from documenting Hebron settler crimes

Illegal Israeli settlers take over an Arab house in the occupied Old City of Hebron, West Bank, on 4 June 2018

Illegal Israeli settlers take over an Arab house in the occupied Old City of Hebron, West Bank, on 4 June 2018

The Israeli army has prevented Palestinian activists from documenting Israeli settlers’ crimes against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank city of Hebron.

This came after a group of Palestinian activists called Youth Against Settlement earlier this week launched a campaign to document settler violations in Hebron after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expelled the TIPH UN monitoring force that has documented Israeli crimes for 22 years, Quds Press reported yesterday.

In a statement, the activists said that settlers had already attacked them, despite the fact that they had been operating for only three days. The activists have already documented numerous violations against Hebron’s Palestinians, including attacks on Palestinian primary school pupils.

The activists said that the Israeli army expelled them from Al-Shuhada Street, which has been closed to Palestinians since 1994 when an extremist Israeli Jewish settler massacred 29 Palestinian worshippers inside the city’s Ibrahimi Mosque during the holy month of Ramadan.

READ: Israel had ‘every right’ to expel Hebron observers

According to the statement, the activists – who are led by the prominent activist Issa Amro – said they would not stop documenting the Israeli violations in spite of being expelled from Al-Shuhada Street, which was declared a closed military zone.

The statement reported Amro as saying that he and his fellow activists had received life-threatening calls from the Israeli intelligence services and the Israeli Civil Administration – which administers the occupied Palestinian territories – after the creation of this group.

In a separate press release, Amro said that the Israeli settlers attacked him along with the activists and other Palestinians in the area, saying he had received a phone call from someone who spoke Hebrew and threatened to end his life.

READ: Israel planning for a second massacre in Hebron

(Source / 13.02.2019) 

Israel forces kill 4 children in 2 weeks, NGO reports

Paramedics carry an in injured child after Israeli soldiers fired at Palestinians during the Great March of Return on 8 February 2019 [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]

A paramedic carries an injured child after Israeli soldiers fired at Palestinians during the Great March of Return on 8 February 2019

Israeli forces killed four Palestinian children with live ammunition across the occupied Palestinian territory between 25 January and 8 February, rights NGO Defence for Children International – Palestine (DCIP) reported yesterday.

Seventeen-year-old Hamza Mohammad Rushdi Ishteiwi and 13-year-old Hassan Iyad Abdel Fattah Shalbi were both killed last Friday “during demonstrations in the central and southern parts of the Gaza Strip, respectively”.

A medic interviewed by DCIP said that “Hamza was sitting 200 meters (656 feet) from the perimeter fence at approximately 5 p.m. when he was shot by a single fatal bullet that struck the right side of his neck”. Hassan, meanwhile, was shot in the chest.

READ: Israel killed woman and child protesters at ‘significant distance’ from Gaza fence

In addition, “two further children from the West Bank were killed by Israeli forces during the last week of January”.

Sixteen-year-old Samah Zuheer Ahmad Mubarak was shot at close range at a checkpoint outside Jerusalem after “an alleged attempted stabbing attack” on 30 January, while 17-year-old Ayman Ahmad Othman Hamed “was shot in the neck by Israeli forces while on a picnic with friends in the central West Bank town of Silwad on January 25”.

In 2018, “DCIP independently verified the deaths of 57 Palestinian children at the hands of Israeli forces or settlers across the Occupied Palestinian Territory”.

DCIP’s Accountability Programme director, Ayed Abu Eqtaish, said that “international law stresses children’s right to life,” adding: “Evidence that DCIP collected on 56 child fatalities at the hands of Israeli forces last year showed that in a majority of cases, children did not pose any direct threat at the time they were killed”.

READ: Israel forces shot Palestinian child in head with ‘sponge’ round from 10 metres

(Source / 13.02.2019)

4 Youths injured by Israeli gunfire in Gaza night marches

4 Youths injured by Israeli gunfire in Gaza night marches

In the night marches on Gaza borders on Tuesday evening, Israeli occupation forces wounded four Palestinian youths when opened fire at the peaceful protesters taking part  in the marches.

Gaza’s Ministry of Health said that four Palestinians were wounded east of al-Bureij refugee camp, in the middle area of the Gaza Strip, two of whom suffered serious injuries.

Dozens of Palestinian youths marched at the border fence east of al-Bureij camp, burned car tires and launched fireworks, local sources reported.

The Israeli occupation forces heavily fired live ammunition and tear gas bombs at the youths. Four suffered gunfire injuries and many others suffocated as a result of inhaling tear gas.

The Great March of Return’s night demonstrations were halted in November after Israel had vowed to ease the blockade imposed on the Gaza Strip for over 13 years by expanding the fishing zone, allowing Qatari financial aid into the enclave, and offering other relaxing measures.

Israel showed no commitment to the understandings reached under the auspices of Egypt, Qatar, and the United Nations, so the night demonstrations were resumed this week.

The Palestinian youths taking part in the night protests, who also call themselves “Night Disruptive Units”, usually fly fire balloons and kites, launch fireworks, and chant national songs during the night.

The stated that their goal is to cause disruption at the border and keep the Israeli soldiers stationed Israeli soldiers on permanent alert.

(Source / 13.02.2019)

IOF cut off water supply lines feeding Yatta

Israeli occupation forces “IOF “cut off the water supply lines which provide water to the Masfir Yatta communities, south of Hebron, on Wednesday.

The head of the village council, Mohamad Rabe’ said that the Israeli occupation forces cut off the water lines which feed 17 population communities in the Masfir Yatta.

Such Israeli measures come in the context of targeting citizens and their steadfastness in those areas, in an attempt to force them to leave their homes in favor of settlement expansion, he added.

More than 1,500 residents live in Masfir Yatta, but Israeli occupation forces prevent the construction of roads and the provision of basic services in these areas.

(Source / 13.02.2019)

Al Mezan: Israel Claims Immunity from All Damages Inflicted on Gaza Protestors

13 Feb 4:36 AM

Adalah and Al Mezan appeal to Israeli Supreme Court against lower court ruling finding that Gazans may be denied compensation for damages because Gaza is defined by law as an ‘enemy territory’.

Israeli military forces shot Palestinian high school student Attiya Nabaheen on his 15th birthday in the front yard of his family home in the Gaza Strip on 16 November 2014. Nabaheen was returning from school. He was not armed and was not involved in any violence.

As a result of the shooting, Nabaheen was paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

In November 2018, Israel’s Be’er Sheva District Court rejected a case filed by Adalah – The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel and Al Mezan Center for Human Rights on behalf of the Nabaheen family against the Israeli military for the shooting and wounding of their son. The court ruled that the state is not liable for damages because Palestinians in Gaza are not entitled to seek compensation from Israel as they live in an “enemy entity”.

According to Article 5/B-1 of Amendment No. 8 of Israel’s Civil Wrongs Law (State Responsibility) Law of 1952, which was enacted in 2012, residents of a territory declared by the Israeli government as “enemy territory” – as Gaza was declared in 2007 – are not eligible to seek compensation from Israel for any reason.

Adalah and Al Mezan appealed this ruling to the Israeli Supreme Court on 7 February 2019, arguing that the lower court’s decision and the amendment to the law violate both Israeli and international law, which require that protected civilians be entitled to effective legal remedies. The human rights organizations demand that the Supreme Court overturn the ruling of the Be’er Sheva District Court and find Amendment No. 8 unconstitutional.

The appeal was filed by Adalah Deputy Director Attorney Sawsan Zaher, Adalah General Director Hassan Jabareen, and private attorney Mohammad Jabareen.

ISRAEL VIOLATING LEGAL NORMS SET IN AFTERMATH OF WORLD WAR II

Amendment No. 8 to Israel’s Civil Wrongs Law adopts the doctrine of “enemy aliens”, which was prohibited under international law in the aftermath of World War II.

The “enemy alien” doctrine – which determines that any individual situated in a territory declared as “enemy territory” is to be considered an enemy – was prohibited because of its racist and dangerous nature. This doctrine denies human rights and allows harm to civilians based solely upon their ethnic and national affiliation. It also stands in stark and flagrant violation of the “principle of distinction” which is the basis for customary international law governing the rules of war.

Adalah Deputy Director Sawsan Zaher explains:

“By confirming the constitutionality of the law, the lower Israeli court ruling grants sweeping de facto immunity to Israeli military forces for any harm that they cause to Gaza’s civilian population – even if such harm is caused by negligence, and even if it doesn’t take place during wartime or in a combat situation. Such a sweeping law is illegal.”

Amendment #8 essentially means that Israeli soldiers and state authorities are immune from damage claims and paying compensation to persons harmed if they are: 1) acting within a ‘combat situation’; and 2) acting in or against an “enemy territory”, even if they violate domestic and international law and cause harm to civilians. It renders state responsibility, as well as the victims’ inherent rights to a remedy, meaningless.

Al Mezan’s Director of Communications Mahmoud AbuRahma stated:

“For many years Amendment No. 8 has denied Palestinian victims in Gaza access to remedies they are entitled to, as the law provides that Israel isn’t liable for acts performed during combat actions of the military. Over the years, this exception has been expanded, and it applies regardless of the legality of the army’s conduct. Worse, the court ruling deems all Gaza residents, including civilians like the teenager Attiya Nabaheen, ineligible for compensation merely because of where they reside. Amendment No. 8 contradicts the principles of the rule of law and justice, and must be cancelled.”

(Source / 13.02.2019)

Palestinian Shot and Injured in Gaza

13 Feb 3:57 AM

A Palestinian was shot and injured by live Israeli fire, late Monday, east of Gaza City.Local sources told Ma’an that Israeli forces opened fire towards a group of Palestinians, east of Gaza City, resulting in the injuring of one Palestinian. Sources confirmed that the Palestinian, whose identity remained unknown, sustained injuries in his foot. No other injuries were reported.

(Source / 13.02.2019)

Army Demolishes Three Palestinian Homes, A Storage Room, In Silwan

13 Feb 5:05 AM

Israeli soldiers demolished, on Tuesday evening, three Palestinian homes, including an under-construction property, and a storage room, in Silwan town, south of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, in occupied Jerusalem.

The soldiers demolished two homes, including one that was still under-construction, and a storage room, owned by Jamal Yahia Edkeidik, and his son Ma’moun, allegedly for being built without a permit.

The two homes were 180 square/meters, while the storage room was 60 square/meters, the family stated.

In related news, the soldiers demolished a 100 square/meter home in Ras al-‘Amoud, in Silwan town, without a prior warning, also under the allegation of being built without a permit.

The demolished property, owned by Feryal Ja’abis, had a bedroom, a living room, a bathroom and a kitchen.

Israel demolishes most Palestinian-owned property in Jerusalem under the pretext that the structures were built illegally, meaning without Israeli-issued construction permits. However, Israeli authorities almost exclusively issue construction permits to Israeli Jewish neighborhoods and settlements.

This is because the city has not approved an urban plan for East Jerusalem and zones only 8 to 13 percent of the area as for Palestinian residential construction.

In recent years, only eight percent of all building permits in the city were issued to Palestinian neighborhoods, according to the Israeli human rights group Ir Amim. As a result, Palestinians build without permits to avoid overcrowding.

The Association for Civil Rights in Israel found that 20,000 homes in East Jerusalem – or 39 percent of all homes in East Jerusalem – lack Israeli construction permits and therefore, live in perpetual threat of abrupt homelessness.

Related From December 2018:
169 Structures Demolished in East Jerusalem This Year

(Source / 13.02.2019)

Israeli Army To Displace Fifty Families To Conduct Military Drills

13 Feb 9:15 AM

The Israeli army has ordered fifty Palestinian Bedouin families, in the West Bank’s Northern Plains, to leave their dwellings, all day Wednesday, so that the soldiers can conduct live-fire military drills, including the use of explosives.

Mo’taz Bisharat, a Palestinian official in charge of Israeli colonies’ file at the Palestinian Authority in central West Bank, said that the order forces fifty families, consisting altogether of about 300 Palestinians, including children and elderly, to leave their homes and dwellings all day, under the cold, so that the army can conduct training.

He added that the military drills in the area are causing very serious damage and harm to the environment and the belonging of the Palestinians, in addition to the serious risks to their lives.

Bisharat stated that the military drills, which were carried out by the army last week, have caused damage to 600 Dunams of Palestinian farmlands, while the soldiers also bulldozed 140 additional dunams.

The Israeli military drills are frequently carried out in the occupied West Bank, and the near Bedouin communities in the Negev, resulting in displacing the families in addition to the dozens of casualties, including fatalities, due to explosives dropped by the army during training.

(Source / 13.02.2019)

Soldiers Demolish A Home In Beit Jala

13 Feb 1:14 PM

Israeli soldiers invaded, Wednesday, Beit Jala city, west of the West Bank city of Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank, and demolished a Palestinian home.

Media sources said dozens of soldiers surrounded Bir Una area in Beit Jala, adjacent to the illegal Annexation Wall, before storming the home of Mohammad Mousa Zreina.

Mohammad stated that the soldiers assaulted him and his family, before forcing them out of their home, and demolished the property.

The army claimed the home, built on private Palestinian lands, was not licensed by “Civil Administration Office,” the administrative branch of Israel’s illegal occupation of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem.

(Source / 13.02.2019)

Israeli Colonists Invade Home, Threaten To Kill Family, In Hebron

13 Feb 6:04 AM

A group of illegal Israel fanatic colonists invaded, on Tuesday, a Palestinian home, in the Old City of Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank, and threatened to kill the entire family.

The home owner Emad Eqneibi said the colonists demanded him to leave his property so that they can illegally occupy and annex it, and threatened to kill him and his entire family if he does not leave.

Dozens of Palestinians, including members of Fateh Movement in the Old City and nonviolent activists against the Annexation Wall and Colonies, rushed to the property, and vowed to do whatever it takes to protect the family and their home, in coordination with the local Committee against the Annexation Wall and Colonies.

In related news, Israeli colonists attacked Palestinians in the Shuhada Street, in Hebron, before the soldiers rushed to the area, removed local nonviolent activists, who were documenting the invasion, and declared it a “closed zone” to all Palestinians.

Ezzat al-Karaki, a local nonviolent activist with the Youth Against Settlements nonviolent direct-action group, said the escalation by the soldiers and the colonists will not deter the locals from documenting an exposing Israel’s constant human rights violations.

Local human rights activist Issa Amro said that he has received many threats from the army and the “Civil Administration Office,” vowing to abduct and imprison him, for his role in forming a local civil protection group, and added that he, along with many international peace activists, and locals, have been repeated assaulted.

He added that he also received phone call in Hebrew, threatening to kill him, and to assault anyone who resists the colonialist activities, and these escalating violations.

After Israeli recently kicked the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), and other observers from the Hebron, the locals formed a committee to protect the locals and document the Israeli violations.

(Source / 13.02.2019)