Israel to confiscate ‘welfare funds’ from Palestine’s tax revenue

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu [Abdülhamid Hoşbaş/Anadolu Agency]

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

The Israeli government will approve a law to confiscate funds allocated by the Palestinian Authority (PA) to Palestinians it claims are involved in attacks against Israeli targets, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday.

Israel collects tariffs and duties on behalf of the Ramallah-based PA under 1994 Oslo Accords

“Next Sunday, I will convene the security cabinet and we will make the necessary decision to offset the funds,” Netanyahu said during the weekly cabinet meeting.

“The money will be deducted, no one should have any doubt about it,” he said.

Last week, the PA threatened not to accept the money if Israel deducts any funds.

In July, the Knesset (Israel’s parliament) passed legislation requiring the Defence Ministry to inform the security cabinet of how much the PA pays in “welfare” payments to Palestinians involved in attacks against Israeli targets.

Read: Abbas vows to continue payments to Palestinians in Israel prisons

(Source / 10.02.2019)

Fatah slams Israeli settler calls for Abbas’ death

Image of a group of Israeli soldiers, some armed, walking in the Jerusalem's Old City [Taghreeba/Twitter]

Image of a group of Israeli soldiers, some armed, walking in the Jerusalem’s Old City

Palestinian group Fatah on Sunday decried calls by Israeli settlers for the assassination of President Mahmoud Abbas.

“The Israeli incitement is the result of the policy of hatred practiced by the Israeli government against the Palestinians,” Fatah spokesman Osama al-Qawasmi said in a statement.

He accused Israel of fomenting terrorism by “pursuing its occupation, building an Apartheid barrier, preventing the freedom of movement, [carrying out] field executions and home demolitions and killing and arresting children”.

“It is not President Abbas, who is defending the rights of our people in accordance with international legitimacy,” the spokesman said.

There was no comment from the Israeli government on the Fatah’s statement.

Settlers reportedly called for Abbas’ killing during rallies staged in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and several settlements in the West Bank on Saturday.

The protesters carried banners that called for the “liquidation of murder financiers”, along with photos of Abbas.

US-sponsored peace talks between the Palestinians and Israel collapsed in 2014 over the latter’s refusal to halt settlement building in the occupied West Bank.

(Source / 10.02.2019)

Palestinians campaign to halt settler attacks in Hebron, launches protection force

The move followed Israel’s refusal to renew the mandate of the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH)  

Members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists escort children on their way to school in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019 [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]
Members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists escort children on their way to school in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019 [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]
Members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists escort children on their way to school in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019 [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]
A Jewish settler reacts to members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists as they gather in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019. The YAS activists have dressed up similar to the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), established after a massacre of Palestinians in 1994, following Israel's decision not to renew the mandate of the monitoring group in West Bank city [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]

Palestinian activists on Sunday launched a campaign aimed at protecting local residents against settler attacks in the West Bank city of Hebron.

“The campaign aims to provide protection to local residents around the clock,” Mohamed Zghayyar, a spokesman for the NGO Youth Coalition Against Settlements, told Anadolu Agency.

The move followed Israel’s refusal to renew the mandate of the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH).

The force had been monitoring the city for the past 20 years.

Scores of Palestinian activists accompanied students while going to school in the city as part of the campaign.

Zghayyar said Palestinians in Hebron are facing repeated attacks and assaults by settlers and Israeli forces on a daily basis.

Fatah: Israel planning for a second massacre in Hebron

“Activists are working around the clock to document [Israeli] violations and expose practices of the Israeli occupation,” he added.

Composed of 64 international observers from Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy and Turkey, the TIPH was established under UN Security Council resolution 904.

The resolution was adopted following Hebron’s Ibrahimi Mosque massacre in 1994 when Jewish extremist Baruch Goldstein gunned down 29 Palestinian worshippers.

Hebron is currently home to some 160,000 Palestinian Muslims and around 500 Jewish settlers. The latter live in a series of Jewish-only enclaves heavily guarded by Israeli troops.

A Jewish settler reacts to members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists as they gather in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019. The YAS activists have dressed up similar to the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), established after a massacre of Palestinians in 1994, following Israel's decision not to renew the mandate of the monitoring group in West Bank city [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]
A Jewish settler reacts to members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists as they gather in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019. The YAS activists have dressed up similar to the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), established after a massacre of Palestinians in 1994, following Israel's decision not to renew the mandate of the monitoring group in West Bank city [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]
A Jewish settler reacts to members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists as they gather in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019. The YAS activists have dressed up similar to the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), established after a massacre of Palestinians in 1994, following Israel's decision not to renew the mandate of the monitoring group in West Bank city [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]
A Jewish settler reacts to members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists as they gather in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019. The YAS activists have dressed up similar to the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), established after a massacre of Palestinians in 1994, following Israel's decision not to renew the mandate of the monitoring group in West Bank city [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]
A Jewish settler reacts to press members as members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists gather in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019. The YAS activists have dressed up similar to the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), established after a massacre of Palestinians in 1994, following Israel's decision not to renew the mandate of the monitoring group in West Bank city [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]
A Jewish settler reacts to members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists as they gather in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019. The YAS activists have dressed up similar to the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), established after a massacre of Palestinians in 1994, following Israel's decision not to renew the mandate of the monitoring group in West Bank city [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]
A Jewish settler reacts to members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists as they gather in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019. The YAS activists have dressed up similar to the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), established after a massacre of Palestinians in 1994, following Israel's decision not to renew the mandate of the monitoring group in West Bank city [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]
Jewish settlers react to members of the Palestinian Youth Against Settlements (YAS) activists as they gather in Hebron, West Bank on February 10, 2019. The YAS activists have dressed up similar to the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH), established after a massacre of Palestinians in 1994, following Israel's decision not to renew the mandate of the monitoring group in West Bank city [Mamoun Wazwaz / Anadolu Agency]

 (Source / 10.02.2019)

Army Abducts A Child And A Young Man, Colonists Attack Cars, Near Ramallah

10 Feb 3:50 AM

Israeli soldiers abducted, on Saturday evening, a child and a young man from Qalandia refugee camp, north of occupied Jerusalem, and south of Ramallah, while Illegal Colonists attack cars, west of Ramallah.

Media sources said the soldiers stopped and interrogated the two Palestinians, who were walking near the Qalandia Terminal, and abducted them.

They added that the abducted Palestinians have been identified as Mohammad Awni Aslan, 16, and Abdul-Malek Hasan Abu Latifa, 19.

In related news, illegal Israeli colonists hurled stones at many Palestinian cars near Ras Karkar village, west of Ramallah.

The cars were driving on Wadi el-Delb road, near Ras Karkar village, when the colonists attacked them, causing damage.

After the attack, Israeli soldiers closed the road to Palestinian traffic, all the way to Ein Ayyoub Junction, west of Ras Karkar, while Israeli colonists were not even stopped and continued to use the road.

In related news, dozens of illegal colonialists hurled stones at Palestinian cars driving at the junction of Gush Etzion colony, north of Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank, and shouted insults and threats at the Palestinians.

(Source / 10.02.2019)

Soldiers Attack Protesters In Hebron

10 Feb4:39 AM

Israeli soldiers fired, on Saturday evening, many gas bombs and rubber-coated steel bullets at Palestinian protesters at the entrance of the al-‘Arroub refugee camp, north of Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank.

The soldiers, stationed at the entrance of the refugee camp, fire many gas bombs and rubber-coated steel bullets at local protesters, who hurled stones at them.

The soldiers also fired several gas bombs at homes in the same area, and completely sealed the refugee camp.

In related news, the soldiers installed a military roadblock at the southern entrance of Doura city, southwest of Hebron, stopped and searched dozens of cars, and interrogated the Palestinians while inspecting their ID cards.

In addition, a group of fanatic illegal Israeli colonists gathered in the Sahla area, south of Hebron, and used loud speakers while chanting for killing the Palestinians and asking more colonists to join them.

The incidents happened just short hours after dozens of colonialist settlers hurled stones at Palestinian cars driving at the junction of Gush Etzion colony, north of Hebron, and shouted insults and threats at the locals.

(Source / 10.02.2019)

Israeli Ministers Move Forward with Historic West Bank Settlement Plan

10 Feb 5:53 AM

Dozens of Israeli ministers and senior officials from the Likud political party and other right-wing parties have signed a petition to settle two million Jews across the occupied West Bank.

Israeli Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein and ministers Gilad Erdan, Miri Regev, Yisrael Katz of the Likud party, Ayelet Shaked and Naftali Bennett, of New Right party, were among signatories on a petition to abandon the two-state solution and establish new Israeli settlements across the occupied West Bank.

The signed petition was put forward by the Nahala Movement, an Israeli settler group, to promote an Israeli settlement plan introduced under the government of late Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir in the early 1990s.

The main objective of the petition is to settle two million Jews in the West Bank.

Nahala activists have been recently protesting outside of the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s residence in Jerusalem, demanding the next government to work toward the settlement of all of West Bank and to abandon the idea of a two-state solution.

Among members of the Likud who have signed the declaration are Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein, Transportation Minister Yisrael Katz, Tourism Minister Yariv Levin, Environmental Protection and Jerusalem Affairs Minister Zeev Elkin, Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan, Culture Minister Miri Regev, Regional Cooperation Minister Tzachi Hanegbi, Communication Minister Ayoub Kara, Immigration and Absorption Minister Yoav Gallant, Social Equality Minister Gila Gamliel and Science and Technology Minister Ofir Akunis. Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked and Education Minister Naftali Bennett, both of the New Right party, also signed the petition.

The Nahala Movement’s declaration read, “I hereby commit to be loyal to the land of Israel, not to cede one inch of our inheritance from our forefathers. I hereby commit to act to realize the settlement plan for the settlement of 2 million Jews in Judea and Samaria in accordance with Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir’s plan, as well as to encourage and lead the redemption of all the lands throughout Judea and Samaria. I commit to act to cancel the declaration of two states for two peoples and replace it with the stately declaration: The land of Israel: One country for one people.”

The Nahala Movement said, in a statement, that the petition is an “ideological and ethical loyalty test.”

According to Ma’an, between 500,000 and 600,000 Israelis live in Jewish-only settlements across occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank in violation of international law, with recent announcements of settlement expansion provoking condemnation from the international community.

Archive IMEMC post: 05/17/15 Bennett Wants to See Palestinians Become ‘Water Carriers and Wood Hewers’ for Jews

(Source / 10.02.2019)

Two Young Men From Gaza Drown To Death After Boat Capsized Near Algeria

10 Feb 10:51 AM

Two young Palestinian men were killed, Saturday, and many others were injured, after a boat, filled with immigrants, capsized while they were trying to sail to Spain to seek better living conditions.

Media sources said that the Algerian coastguards were informed about the capsized boat, transporting eighteen persons, including the two Palestinians, to Spain.

The al-Masri family in Khan Younis, in the southern part of the Gaza Strip, has confirmed that their son, Abdullah Mohammad al-Masri, has drowned to death.

They added that the Abdullah was with his Algerian Fiancée, and four men from his family.

Another Palestinian, identified as Monir Abu Sharkh, 43, also drowned to death, and the Algerian coastguards initiated a search in an attempt to locate survivors among the eighteen immigrants, mainly Palestinians, who were onboard.

In October of 2018, a boat, filled with immigrants capsized off the coast of Bodrum resort town, northwest of Turkey, leading to the death two children, including a Palestinian child from Rafah, in the southern part of the Gaza Strip.

(Source / 10.02.2019)