421 violations by Israeli occupation against Palestinians in October

421 violations october 2018

The Quds Center for the Study of the Israeli-Palestine Affairs has kept record of 421 violations perpetrated by the Israeli occupation forces and authorities against the Palestinians in October.

The list of violations includes movement crackdowns, arbitrary checkpoints, abrupt closure of access roads, demolition of vital structures and civilian homes, land confiscation, and property theft, among others.

Director of the Quds Center, Emad Abu Awad, said the violations make part of an Israeli policy systematically pursued against the Palestinians.

At the same time, the Israeli occupation continues to provide legal and security shields to Israeli settler gangs, whose crimes and attacks against Palestinians and their property often go unnoticed.

Abu Awad urged the international human rights institutions to take immediate action over Israel’s simmering violations against the Palestinian people, land, and property.

(Source / 06.11.2018)

IOF blocks way of students walking to school in Nablus

Blocks way to school

The Israeli occupation forces (IOF) on Tuesday morning intercepted dozens of Palestinian school students in southern Nablus and prevented them from walking on the short road leading to their school.

Local sources told the Palestinian Information Center (PIC) that Israeli troops aboard patrol vehicles blocked the way of several students of the Sawiya and Lubban school, forcing them to use a long and rough route to reach their school.

The IOF had closed the school temporarily last month, claiming that settlers’ cars were thrown with stones on a nearby road.

(Source / 06.11.2018)

IOF opens fire at Palestinian girl after alleged stabbing attempt

Open fire on young woman

The Israeli occupation forces (IOF) on Tuesday opened fire at a Palestinian young woman in Jerusalem on allegations of her attempt to carry out a stabbing attack.

Informed sources said that a Palestinian girl suffered a moderate bullet injury in the thigh, affirming that she was arrested and transferred to an undeclared place.

According to the Hebrew website 0404, Israeli forces opened fire at a young woman near the gas station in Kfar Adumim settlement, east of Jerusalem, after she allegedly tried to carry out a stabbing attack using a sharp object.

The website claimed that the forces also searched the woman’s purse and found a knife inside it.

(Source / 06.11.2018)

Israel issues punitive demolition order for Palestinian family

Ashraf Naawla 23

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — The Israeli army issued a punitive demolition order to the Naawla family in the Shweika village, in the northern occupied West Bank district of Tulkarem, on Tuesday.

The order to demolish the Naawla family home comes as a punitive measure for their son, Ashraf Naawla, 23, carrying out a shooting attack in the Israeli Barkan industrial area last month, in which two Israelis died and another sustained serious injuries.
An Israeli army spokesperson said that the “pre-demolition order” delivered said that the family would have to evacuate by Sunday, November 11th or submit an appeal to the Israeli Supreme Court before that.Appeals against punitive demolitions are rarely successful, even in cases in which the relatives of actual or alleged attackers have not been charged with any wrongdoing.Israeli forces are still conducting wide-scale searches for Ashraf, who fled the scene following the shooting attack.Israel always demolishes family homes of Palestinians, who were involved in attacking Israelis as part of its collective punishment policy against the Palestinian people.
Israel has come under harsh condemnation over the past several years for its response to attacks committed by Palestinians on Israelis, which rights groups have said amounted to “collective punishment” on family members and entire communities in a clear violation of international law.
(Source / 06.11.2018)

Abbas raises taxes on trucks bringing goods to Gaza

Abbas during his most recent speech to the Palestinian Central Council (AP)

Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas yesterday raised taxes paid by truck drivers who transport commodities through the Karm Abu Salem crossing to Gaza, the Private Transportation Association said.

Head of the Private Transportation Association in Gaza Nahed Shuhibar said that Abbas increased the levies by 30 shekels ($8). Drivers are already charged 1,200 ($325) to use the crossing.

Speaking to the Shehab News Agency, Shuhibar said that this tax is paid to the PA at Karm Abu Salem Crossing in the south of the Gaza Strip, while the Palestinian drivers in the West Bank have no taxes imposed on them.

READ: Israel resumes fuel shipments to Gaza

“This is a political decision imposed by President Mahmoud Abbas,” the General Director of Palestinian Crossing and Borders Authority Nazmi Muhanna said.

Import taxes have increased four-fold since the PA took control of Gaza’s crossing as a result of the reconciliation deal agreed between the Palestinian factions in October last year.

Truck drivers help a strike in protest against the increased taxes.

(Source / 06.11.2018)

Haaretz: Gaza residents stood with Hamas instead of ousting it

A Palestinian boy inspect a shell hole after Israeli army struck sites allegedly belonging to Hamas in northern Gaza Strip in Gaza City, Gaza on 28 March 2018

The Great March of Return protests have sent an “important message” to Israel that Palestinians in Gaza stand with Hamas and against Israel’s efforts to force them to oust it, Israeli Arab affairs analyst at the leading newspaper Haaretz, Zvi Bar’el, said yesterday.

Israel’s strategies against Hamas, including the siege and punitive measures, are no longer effective.

Bar’el recognised that Israel had imposed the siege and sanctions on Gaza in order to push Gaza residents to revolt against Hamas, which took over governance of the Strip in 2007 after winning the 2006 elections.

OPINION: Whether it’s Hamas or Fatah in Gaza, it is Israel which determines the rules

Israel failed in its ambition and has not achieved any of its aims including toppling Hamas.

Palestinians in Gaza managed to bring Israel to discuss a truce with Hamas instead of ousting it.

This truce, Bar’el said, aims to end the siege on Gaza, open crossings and create work opportunities for thousands of Palestinians in Gaza.

He concluded, saying that the conflict is no longer between Israel and Hamas alone, but between Israel and a large population on the ground.

(Source / 06.11.2018)

New Israel law conditioning arts funding on ‘loyalty’ passes first reading

Israeli Culture Minister Miri Regev [Facebook]

Israeli Culture Minister Miri Regev

A new Israeli bill allowing the culture minister to withhold public funding for cultural organisations “working against the principles of the state” passed its first reading in the Knesset last night.

The legislation, proposed by Culture Minister Miri Regev and supported by Finance Minister Moshe Kahlon, was backed by 55 votes in favour to 44 against, reported the Times of Israel. It requires two more readings to become law.

According to the report, the Culture Loyalty Law would allow the government to pull funding from organisations or events that feature any of five topics or themes.

Those themes are “denial that the State of Israel is a Jewish, democratic country; incitement of racism, violence, or terror; support for the armed struggle or acts of terror against Israel by an enemy state or a terror group; marking Israel’s Independence Day as a day of mourning; or any act of destruction or physical degradation of the flag or any state symbol”.

READ: When Regev cried in Abu Dhabi and Netanyahu in Muscat 

The Times of Israel explained that “while the Finance Ministry is currently responsible for final decisions on withholding such state funding, Regev’s bill would transfer full power over budgets for the arts to herself”.

Regev told the Knesset plenum: “There is no harm here to freedom of speech and art. There is no intention to silence people or stifle criticism.”

“A handful of artists, who haven’t really read the law and don’t understand it, are trying to mislead the public and are using their artistic stage for political purposes,” added the Likud minister.

(Source / 06.11.2018)

WOUNDED PARTICIPANT OF GREAT RETURN MARCH DIES AFTER AMPUTATION

Participant in the Great Return March has died in Gaza Strip three weeks after he was severely wounded.

44-year-old Ghanem Ibrahim Sharab died on the morning of Monday November 5th as a result of his wounds suffered when he was shot by Israeli occupation forces’ sniper while taking part in the Great Return March. He was shot east of Khan Younis in the southern part of the tiny, besieged coastal enclave on October 19th.

Sharab, described in several media reports of his death as ‘special needs person’, was hit in his foot with an explosive bullet by the Israeli sniper. His leg was amputated on October 29th, but he passed away from the complications of his injury.

Some sources in social media, but not in press reports, mention that the immediate cause of his death would have been ‘a severe stroke’. There is an elevated risk of stroke after amputation, especially in case of prior medical issues and in the case of Sharab, we don’t know what form his ‘special needs’ took.

The funeral of Ghanem Sharab took place in his native Khan Younis on the Monday afternoon.

(Source / 06.11.2018)

Limited Incursion East of Rafah

05 NOV
8:13 PM

A number of Israeli military vehicles carried out, on Monday morning, a limited incursion east of the Rafah Governate, in the southern besieged Gaza Strip.

 

Local Al Ray sources reported that five bulldozers penetrated, for a limited distance from the military gate located in the area, into Palestinian lands east of the governorate.

 

The sources added that the bulldozers commenced acts of destruction and sweeping in the area.

 

Gaza’s border areas see frequent incursions by Israeli forces on a daily basis, in which it carries out land-leveling operations and erects barbed wire separation fencing.

(Source / 06.11.2018)

Hebron: Demolition Notices Served to School, 3 Structures

05 NOV
8:23 PM

Israeli authorities delivered demolition notices to one school and three housing structures in the Masafer Yatta area, in the South Hebron Hills, in the occupied West Bank district of Hebron, on Monday.

Coordinator of a local settlement against the Israeli apartheid wall, Rateb al-Jbour, reported that Israeli forces stormed the Khillet al-Dabe school, which constructs of steel structures and forced the school’s staff and its 12 students to evacuate.

Al-Jbour added that Israeli forces then handed the school staff a demolition notice for the school.

Ma’an News Agency notes that the Palestinian Ministry of Education had just opened the school last month.

Israeli soldiers raided the Khirbet al-Mufaqara area as well, also in Masafer Yatta, and served demolition notices to three housing structures.

Al-Jbour identified owners of the structures as Numan Shihadeh Hamamda, Hussein Ahmad Hamamda and Adli Hamamda.

Israeli forces also delivered a demolition notice to the owner of a room adjacent to a cave, in the Khirbet Sarura area, where local and international anti-settlement activists were residing.

The South Hebron Hills, known locally as Masafer Yatta, lie almost entirely in Area C, the 62 percent of the West Bank under full Israeli civil and security control since the 1993 Oslo Accords.

Around 3,000 Israeli settlers live in illegal Jewish-only settlements in the Yatta region, according to the Applied Research Institute – Jerusalem (ARIJ).

Masafer Yatta residents were expelled at the time of the establishment of a firing zone, in the 1970s, and were eventually allowed back, following a long court battle, but are now under the constant threat of being expelled or seeing their homes demolished.

(Source / 06.11.2018)