Jewish settlers block trucks from entering Gaza

Trucks blocked

Dozens of Jewish settlers on Monday morning prevented cargo and tanker trucks from traveling to the Gaza Strip after blocking roads leading to Karam Abu Salem crossing.

According to Israel’s Channel 2, settlers from settlements surrounding Gaza started to rally in the morning in front of the crossing, which is used to transport goods and fuel supplies to Gaza.

Soon later, they embarked on closing off roads leading to the crossing and intercepted trucks.

The channel said the settlers were protesting the military tension in southern Israel and the cabinet’s decision not to escalate the situation on the Gaza front.

(Source / 29.10.2018)

Israeli court sentences hunger striking detainee to one year in jail

1 year prison

Head of the legal unit at the Palestine Prisoner’s Society Jawad Boulos said Israel’s Salem military court sentenced hunger striking Palestinian detainee Khader Adnan to one year in jail, a fine of 1,000 shekels, and an 18-month suspended term.

The health condition of Palestinian prisoner Khader Adnan has taken a serious turn for the worse, as his open-ended hunger strike has been ongoing for 58 consecutive days to protest his arbitrary detention in Israeli lock-ups.

Khader Adnan’s wife has expressed concerns over his exacerbated health status and the preplanned medical neglect pursued by the Israeli prison authorities against her isolated husband, whom she said cannot stand on his feet and moves on a wheelchair.

On Sunday, Adnan, who started an open hunger strike in Israeli jails 58 days ago, decided to stop drinking water.

Israel’s Salem court has postponed Adnan’s trial until 29 October, and despite his deteriorating health condition, Adnan is held in solitary confinement and denied family and lawyer visits.

Adnan, 43, is suffering from serious health problems and lately started to show serious symptoms such as vomiting blood. He also refuses to take food supplements or undergo medical examinations in protest at the neglect he is subjected to.

In a letter leaked from the prison and published a couple of weeks ago by Muhjat al-Quds Foundation, Adnan said that he had been locked up in a very small and isolated cell in Jalama jail for long weeks, during which he had been barred from visits and made to endure dire conditions of captivity.

A father of seven, Adnan has waged three hunger strikes in Israeli jails since 2012 against administrative detention, with neither charge nor trial.

Adnan, from the northern occupied West Bank province of Jenin, was kidnapped by the Israeli forces on December 11, 2017 over allegations of anti-occupation incitement.

(Source / 29.10.2018)

Abbas receives envoy of Oman’s Sultan Qaboos in Ramallah

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas meets with Oman's Sultan Qaboos bin Said in Muscat, Oman, on 22 October 2018 [Thaer Ganaim/Apaimages]

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas (R) meets with Oman’s Sultan Qaboos bin Said in Muscat, Oman on 22 October 2018

The Palestinian Authority (PA), Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) and Fatah President Mahmoud Abbas received the envoy of Omani Sultan Qaboos Bin Said on Sunday.

This visit came just two days after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited the Omani capital Muscat. Netanyahu’s visit was preceded by an identical trip by Abbas earlier that week. Both met with Sultan Qaboos in Muscat, Wafa reported.

According to Wafa, Sultan Qaboos’ envoy – Salim Al-Omairi – handed a message to Abbas thanking him for his latest visit to his country and noting that the visit reinforced the “deep fraternal relations” between the two countries.

Wafa added that Abbas thanked Qaboos’ envoy and hailed the generosity he had experienced when in Muscat last week. Abbas also hailed the “large” Omani support for the Palestinian people, stressing that Palestine and its leadership is keen to reinforce this cooperation for the sake of serving the Palestinian cause.

READ: Oman says time to accept Israel in region, offers help for peace

(Source / 29.10.2018)

Palestinians commemorate 62nd anniversary of Kafr Qasem massacre

A memorial ground is seen in the Israeli town of Kafr Qasem in memory of the massacre in 1956 [User:Avi1111/Wikipedia]

A memorial ground is seen in the Israeli town of Kafr Qasem in memory of the massacre in 1956

Arab-Palestinian activists in the Israeli town of Kafr Qasem, located on the Israeli side of the Greenline, will commemorate the 62nd anniversary of the Kafr Qasem massacre of 1956 tomorrow in which Israeli border police killed 49 Palestinian police.

The event, which is also supported by the Kafr Qasem municipality, will include a march that will start in the Abu Baqr Mosque Square.

The municipality and the committee organising the march called on all Kafr Qasem’s youth to be in the square early to receive participants coming to take part in the march. They also called on residents who live on the route to clear the roads of cars or any obstacles.

They also asked residents to ensure not to pour water on to the streets so as to avoid causing an inconvenience to participants. Shop owners were also asked to keep their properties closed during the march in respect for the memory of the martyrs.

Read: Israeli army wounds 7 Palestinians in Gaza

Today marks the 62nd anniversary of the massacre of Kafr Qasem, which took place on 29 October 1956.

Forty-nine people were killed while they were returning home from work because they did not know a military curfew was in place.

(Source / 29.10.2018)

Gaza returns to 8 hours’ electricity per day, up from 4

A Palestinian women is seen using candles in her kitchen due to electricity shortage in Gaza on 8 July 2015 [Ashraf Amra/Apaimages]

A Palestinian women is seen using candles in her kitchen due to electricity shortage in Gaza on 8 July 2015

The Palestinian Electricity Company in the besieged Gaza Strip announced on Sunday that it has returned to an eight-hour per day electricity plan, after two years of only four hours’ electricity per day.

In a statement the Electricity Company said: “We were told by the Power and Natural Resources Authority that the third generator of the electricity plant is to be operated on Sunday, so we will start operating electricity eight hours on and eight hours off”.

For the past two years, Palestinians living in the besieged enclave have had electricity for only four hours per day. The Electricity Company was also required to follow a very complex operational plan to guarantee even this small distribution.

In a report issued about the repercussions of the electricity shortage in the Strip, Al-Mezan Centre for Human Rights said that 32 Gaza residents – including 25 children and a woman – died and 36 others – including 20 children and six women – were wounded between 2010 and 2018 in fires caused by using candles and household generators as an alternative to electricity.

The Gaza Strip has been under a strict Israeli-Egyptian, internationally-backed siege since mid-2007. The sole electricity plant in Gaza has been targeted several times by Israeli occupation jets since 2006.

READ: 32 Palestinians died from electricity cuts in Gaza since 2010

(Source / 29.10.2018)

Hunger-Striking Prisoner In Israeli Jails Suffers Major Health Issues

Adnan is protesting against being put under administrative detention

Hunger-striking Palestinian prisoner Khader Adnan is suffering serious health issues as a result of his 58-day fast, a Palestinian group says.

The Palestinian Prisoner’s Club says Adnan was transferred to a medical clinic after he stopped taking supplements to help him survive the long fast.

Adnan is protesting his incarceration without trial under what is known ‘administrative detention’.

Israeli occupation says Adnan is a senior member of the Islamic Jihad, which is a Palestinian resistance movement, in the occupied West Bank West Bank.

(Source / 29.10.2018)

After Demolishing Their Homes In Early September, Army Summons Three Palestinians For Interrogation

29 OCT
8:48 AM

Israeli soldiers summoned, Sunday, three Palestinians from the al-Walaja town, northwest of Bethlehem, including one woman, for interrogation for “constructions’ violations,” although the military demolished their homes, earlier in September of this year.

Local activist Ibrahim Awadallah, said the soldiers invaded Jweiza and Khallet as-Samak areas, and summoned Hanan ar-Razem, Khaled Abu Khiara and Ala’ Hajajla, for interrogation at the “Regional Construction and Planning Committee, in occupied Jerusalem.”

Awadallah added that the soldiers informed the three Palestinians that they have “committed violations by building their homes without the approval of the City Council.”

It is worth mention that the army demolished the three homes a month ago, and the committee is apparently trying to get them to pay for the expenses.

The threat of demolition is still looming around 189 Palestinian homes in the al-Walaja, under the allegations of being built without permits from Israel.

The demolitions are part of a large illegal colonialist plan to expand its colonies in the southern part of occupied Jerusalem, and link them with Gush Etzion Block.

(Source / 29.10.2018)

Palestinian Human Rights Organisations Submit File to ICC Prosecutor: Investigate and Prosecute Pillage, Appropriation and Destruction of Palestinian Natural Resources

28 OCT
11:26 PM

Today, on 26 October 2018, Al-Haq, Al Mezan Center for Human Rights and the Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR) submitted a 500-page file on alleged crimes committed by Israelis, in particular high-level Israeli officials, and individuals associated with corporations that are extracting and destroying Palestinian natural resources.

The organisations provide a reasonable basis to believe that Israelis and private actors have committed the war crimes of extensive destruction and appropriation of property, pillage, and destruction and seizure of property.

The confidential communication provides factual information and legal analysis on the exploitation and destruction of Palestinian water, agricultural land, minerals, mud, stone, and oil.

Mr. Shawan Jabarin, Al-Haq’s General Director, said that “in situations of armed conflict, the trade and business in natural resources have often been strong incentives for war and violence, and provided the finances necessary to maintain and prolong an armed conflict.

The situation in Palestine is a case of such exploitation, in which Israelis and private actors have been deliberately and openly exploiting Palestinian natural resources for at least five decades.

The exploitation of Palestinian natural resources by Israel, Israelis, as well as corporations, finances and thereby sustains and allows for the expansion of Israeli settlements, including by providing profitable employment to settlers and a secure living environment.”

Mr. Issam Younis, Al Mezan’s Director, also said that “Israel, acting as the Occupying Power has engaged in a deliberate and wide-scale exploitation and destruction of significant Palestinian resources in the OPT, as part of an overall policy to annex, exercise sovereignty, and ensure full non-consensual Israeli domination over Palestinian territory.”

Israel, along with and through Israeli and international non-state actors, including corporations, have unlawfully extracted Palestinian natural resources in the OPT, without the lawful consent of the occupied population therein, and solely for the benefit of the Israeli economy and population, including illegal Israeli settlements.

Israel has also permitted and encouraged private actors to exploit Palestinian natural resources. Such private actors include business enterprises in agricultural and industrial settlements, as well as Israeli and multinational corporations.

Israel’s unrestricted and unilateral exploitation of Palestinian natural resources will eventually lead to the depletion of Palestinian natural resources, to the detriment of the Palestinian occupied population and in violation of Israel’s customary international law obligations.

Furthermore, the appropriation, destruction, seizure, and pillaging of Palestinian natural resources have serious social, economic, and environmental impact on the affected Palestinian communities, and notably infringe on Palestinians’ fundamental right to self-determination.

Mr. Raji Sourani, PCHR Director, said that “considering crimes committed in relation to the exploitation of Palestinian natural resources and the colonisation of the occupied territory, with complete impunity, the ICC Prosecutor must urgently open an investigation into the situation in Palestine.”

This is the sixth Article 15 communication to the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC), and it complements the file submitted to the Prosecutor in September 2017 concerning inter alia the transfer of Israeli settlers into the occupied territory, appropriation of Palestinian land, and forcible transfer of the protected Palestinian population.

(Source / 29.10.2018)

Israeli Soldiers Abduct Three Palestinians, including Two Underage Siblings, Near Bethlehem

29 OCT
7:42 AM

Israeli soldiers abducted, on Monday at dawn, two underage siblings and a young man, in addition to summoning a child for interrogation, in the West Bank governorate of Bethlehem.

Several army jeeps abducted Aseel Bassam Abu Aker, 15, and her sister Nisreen, 16, from their home in ‘Aida refugee camp, after violently searching it.

It is worth mentioning that the father of the two girls is a political prisoner, held by Israel.

In addition, the soldiers invaded Teqoua’ town, east of Bethlehem, abducted a young man, identified as Luay Habis al-‘Amour, 22, and summoned Majdi Salem al-Badan, 13, for interrogation, after searching their homes.

(Source / 29.10.2018)

IOF arrest two minor sisters from Aida Camp, Bethlehem

aidacamp-raid2017-PNN

Israeli Occupation Forces storming Aida Camp in Jan. 2017

Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) on Monday overnight arrested two minor sisters from Aida Refugee Camp next to the Israeli apartheid wall, south of Bethlehem, during their daily raid and arrest campaigns.

According to the family, IOF stormed the home after breaking its main gate at 2:00 AM last night. Soldiers then asked the family members to gather in the living room, and asked for their ID cards.

IOF then arrested the two sisters, Aseel Abu Aker (13 years old) and Nisreen Abu Aker (15 years old). While the family tried to make them stay because they were minors, soldiers refused and arrested the two girls taking them to an unknown destination. The family is currently trying to contact lawyers and Child Defense organizations.

The sisters are daughters of the long term Palestinian prisoner, Bassam Abu Aker, who has been in administrative detention for a year now, and has spent and overall of 24 years in Israeli jails through his life.

In addition, IOF arrested 24 Palestinians during their night raids in different areas on the West Bank.
In Bethlehem, local sources said in the village of Teqou’a to the east of the city, arrested a man after raiding his home.

IOF also carried out raids and searches in a number of villages in Ramallah, where a number of citizens were arrested from the villages; Beit Rima and Deir Abu Mashaal.

In occupied Jerusalem, IOF arrested three citizens from Anata town, while they arrested two youths from Hebron.

Finally, IOF arrested two youths from Jayyus town in Qalqilya, northern West Bank.

(Source / 29.10.2018)