29 Palestinians injured on Gaza beach

Nine children and five women were among those hurt in the protest

Twenty-nine Palestinians were injured after Israeli occupation forces halted a peaceful protest on the Gaza Strip coast today.

According to the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza, 11 people were injured with live bullets, four suffered suffocation, eight had shrapnel injuries and six were hit by gas bombs.

Ministry spokesman, Ashraf Al-Qudra, said nine children and five women were among those injured.

Palestinians in Gaza launched mass protests demanding the end of the 11-year siege on the Strip and calling for their right to return to homes their families were forced out of to make way for the creation of the state of Israel.

UNRWA: 13 Palestinian students killed by Israel in Gaza since March

(Source / 08.10.2018)

Abbas rejects Sisi’s request to cancel punitive measures imposed on Gaza

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas [Issam Rimawi/Anadolu Agency]

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas

Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas has rejected a request from Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi to cancel the punitive measures he has imposed on the Gaza Strip, Israeli TV claimed yesterday.

The Israeli state-owned TV Kan published excerpts from the phone call made between the two presidents, pointing out that the request was made on the basis that the punishments pose threats to the Egyptian national security.

“More punitive measures against Gaza would undermine Egypt’s national security,” Al-Sisi told Abbas during the call.

READ: Abbas misses a chance to help Palestinians

Abbas replied: “What is posing a threat to the Egyptian national security is not my punishment, but the creation of a state for the Muslim Brotherhood in Gaza led by Hamas.”

Israeli TV claimed that Al-Sisi stopped speaking after Abbas’ reply and reported a Palestinian official describing the phone call as “highly tense”.

In July, Al-Sisi said in a speech delivered at Cairo University that “finding a solution must not be at the expense of security and stability of the Israelis.”

(Source / 08.10.2018)

28 Palestinians detained in Israel prison for 25 years

Karim Younis, the longest-serving political prisoner who has been incarcerated since 1983 [Ma'an News Agency]

Karim Younis, the longest-serving political prisoner who has been incarcerated by Israel since 1983

Twenty-eight Palestinians have been detained in Israeli prison for more than 25 years, the Palestinian Prisoners’ Commission (PPC) said today.

The PPC’s statement said that among those detained are 13 Palestinian citizens of Israel, Wafareported. Among the 13 detainees is Karim Younis, the longest-serving political prisoner who has been incarcerated since 1983. Younis, from the village of ‘Ara southeast of Haifa, was arrested for “resisting the Israeli occupation” while attending Ben Gurion University.

Wafa adds that those Palestinians who have been imprisoned since before the signing of the Oslo Accords in 1993 “were supposed to be released as part of a deal between Israel and the Palestinian Authority [PA], but Israel has reneged on their release”.

Other Palestinians being held on long-term sentences include Maher Younis, also from ‘Ara, Ibrahim and Rushdi Abu Mukh who were both arrested in 1986, and Samir Sarsawi from Ibtin, east of Haifa.

READ: Israel fined Palestinian child prisoners $13,000 in September

The PPC’s statement comes a day after Mahmoud Jabarin was released from Israeli prison. A Palestinian political prisoner from Umm Al-Fahm, northern Israel, Jabarin was arrested in 1988 and has served 30 years in prison. Hundreds of Palestinians gathered on Sunday in Umm Al-Fahm to celebrate Jabarin’s release.

Last week Israel also released and then rearrested French-Palestinian activist Salah Hamouri. Hamouri was ordered to pay a fine worth 3,000 shekels ($800) and sign a statement agreeing never to take part in popular Palestinian activities, before being released from Al-Naqab Prison. He was then immediately rearrested and taken to a detention centre in Jerusalem. Hamouri has spent 13 months in administrative detention and a total of six years in Israeli prison.

READ: How ironic that a Palestinian has been jailed by Israel for advocating prisoners’ rights

In addition to those Palestinian citizens of Israel and internationals imprisoned, Israel also incarcerates hundreds of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank. Last week it emerged that Israel fined Palestinian child detainees being held in the notorious Ofer prison 46,000 shekels ($13,000) in September alone. In a statement, PPC reported 35 children were arrested and detained in Ofer prison in September, four of whom were arrested from their homes, 20 from the road side and seven at military checkpoints. September’s arrests brought the total number of children being held in Ofer prison, located south of Ramallah in the occupied West Bank, to 108.

According to the Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, known as Addameer, as of August 2018 there were 5,781 political prisoners being held by Israel. Of these, 456 were administrative detainees, meaning they are held without charge or access to a fair trial. Among the highest numbers were those Palestinians from occupied East Jerusalem and the besiegedGaza Strip, at 401 and 316 respectively.

(Source / 08.10.2018)

Ahed Tamimi featured in Vogue magazine

Palestinian teenager Ahed al-Tamimi (C) makes a speech during an exclusive interview in Nabi Salih village of Ramallah, West Bank on 2 August, 2018 [Ä°ssam Rimawi/Anadolu Agency]

Palestinian teenager Ahed al-Tamimi (C) makes a speech during an exclusive interview in Nabi Salih village of Ramallah, West Bank on 2 August, 2018

A letter by Palestinian activist Ahed Tamimi has been published by Vogue magazine, in which the teenager “tells the story of her arrest and eight months in an Israeli prison – and the struggles she faces as a symbol of resistance”.

Originally printed in the October 2018 issue of Vogue Arabia, the article is also available online.

“I am a child of the Israeli occupation. It has always been there. My first real memory is of my father’s arrest in 2004 and visiting him in prison,” Tamimi wrote.

“At the time, I was three years old; he has since been arrested on two further occasions. Last year, when I was 16, I was arrested too, during a night time raid, for slapping a soldier who was standing in our yard. I was sentenced to eight months in an Israeli prison.”

READAhed Tamimi ‘model of Palestinian resistance,’ Abbas says

According to Tamimi, “life behind bars was very hard”, with the Israeli authorities preventing the girls from making study groups. “Only my immediate family was allowed to visit me,” she wrote, “and that was limited to 45 minutes through a glass barrier every two months.”

Tamimi used the opportunity to highlight how, while she has become “the symbol of occupation”, there are “300 other children in Israeli jails whose stories no one knows”.

The teen noted how becoming “a spokesperson for the Palestinian cause” is “not easy”, since “with this role comes a great deal of responsibility and pressure”. In addition, Tamimi is on a suspended sentence for the next five years – “I must tread carefully” she wrote.

Tamimi wrote in Vogue that she intends to study law, in order that in the future, she can do “high-level advocacy for Palestine and speaking at the International Criminal Court in the Hague”.

“I understand that I have this role now, but I have no privacy anymore,” she wrote.

READ: Real Madrid honours Ahed Tamimi at home stadium

Sometimes I feel like I am losing myself – my personality. People ask me what life was like in prison, but I wish I didn’t have to talk about it. I just want to forget.

(Source / 08.10.2018)

UNRWA: 13 Palestinian students killed by Israel in Gaza since March

Palestinian refugees hold banners during a protest against the UNWRA's decision on aid cuts and downsizing plans in Bethlehem, West Bank om 26 September 2018 [Wisam Hashlamoun/Anadolu Agency]

Palestinian refugees hold banners during a protest against the UNWRA’s decision on aid cuts and downsizing plans in Bethlehem, West Bank om 26 September 2018

Thirteen students at United Nations schools have been killed by Israeli occupation forces in the Gaza Strip since March, according to the UN agency for Palestinian refugees.

The UNRWA statement, released yesterday, reveals that the fatal shooting by Israeli snipers of a Palestinian child on 28 September brought to 13 the total number of UNRWA students who have been killed since 30 March 2018 in the context of the “Great March of Return” protests.

“Many other children enrolled in UNRWA schools have been wounded in the demonstrations,” the statement added.

The statement further noted that between 31 March and 30 September, UNRWA’s 22 health centres across the occupied Gaza Strip “have provided 4,104 consultations for injuries sustained in the protests, more than 770 of which related to children”.

READ: Official: 137 Palestinians killed in Gaza’s Great Marches of Return

Some 86 per cent of these have been gunshot injuries, “often resulting in serious bodily harm”.

“Wounds can be dressed.  But for casualties of such violence and all involved in their care, the effects are lasting; rehabilitation is often long, costly and uncertain,” UNRWA added.

“UNRWA deplores the loss of life and the devastating impact that the deaths and injuries have on individuals and families.  Every effort must be made to protect more effectively those who are exposed to this tragic situation,” the statement continued.

The UN agency further stressed that “in recent months, the deepening humanitarian crisis has further ravaged the Gaza Strip and stretched an already fragile health system to breaking point.”

Over 1,400 Palestinian protesters in #Gaza may suffer long-term disability

READ: ttps://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20180713-un-over-1400-palestinian-protesters-in-gaza-may-suffer-long-term-disability/

#Infographic #GreatMarchOfReturn

(Source / 08.10.2018)

Watch: Israeli occupation abducts 19 Palestinians in West Bank

This abductions are made to meet the desire of illegal settlers in the occupied West Bank

Israeli occupation forces abducted on Sunday night 19 Palestinian citizens in different areas across the occupied West Bank, local Palestinian sources reported.

One of the houses, the sources said, was of the Palestinian, who Israel accuses of carrying out the attack that killed the Israeli occupiers in the occupied West Bank on Saturday.

The Israeli occupation forces took measures of the house in preparation for demolishing it regardless to the fact there are more than 15 people live in it and there was no credible information that the suspect is the attacker.

Here is a video documenting the Israeli aggression and abduction campaigns in the occupied territories.

(Source / 08.10.2018)

Netanyahu: Army Prepping for Possible Military Assault on Gaza

08 OCT
7:43 PM

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has reportedly informed his cabinet that the army is preparing for a possible military campaign against the blockaded Gaza Strip, in the case that the situation was not improved, according to Israeli media.

“If the reality of civil distress in Gaza is diminished, that is desirable, but that is not certain to happen, and so we are preparing militarily — that is not an empty statement,” Netanyahu said.

For the past six months, Palestinians have been protesting on the border of Gaza as part of the “Great Return March” in which 190 Palestinians have been killed, 64 of whom were killed on the day the US moved its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

 In 2014, Israel waged a devastating 51-day military onslaught on the Gaza Strip, in which more than 2,300 Palestinians were martyred and tens of thousands injured.

Archive IMEMC video: 09/02/14 Gaza City’s Devastated Al-Shuja’eyya Suburb

(Source / 08.10.2018)

Palestinians Mark 28th Anniversary of the Al-Aqsa Massacre

08 OCT
8:47 PM

Today marks the 28th anniversary of the massacre of the first Al Aqsa Mosque, which was carried out by Israeli occupation forces.

On Monday, October 8, 1990, before noon prayers, the settlers of the so-called “Temple Mount and Eretz Yisrael Faithful Movement” tried to lay the foundation stone for the alleged Third Temple in the Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Israeli occupation forces opened fire indiscriminately at worshipers in the mosque, killing 22 people, injuring more than 200, arresting 270 others while obstructing the movement of ambulances.

Prior to the massacre, Israeli forces imposed military checkpoints on all roads leading to Al-Aqsa Mosque, to prevent them from reaching the site. However, the worshipers gathered in the mosque hours earlier, in response to calls from inside the mosque.

Israeli occupation soldiers remained in the squares and prevented the evacuation of the bodies of the martyrs and the wounded, only six hours after the massacre began.

The occupation authorities had distributed a statement, a few days before the massacre, in which Jews were invited to participate in a march to the Al-Aqsa Mosque on the occasion of the “Throne Day”. This was followed by a statement by extremist Gershon Salmon’s calls that “The Jews must renew their deep relations with the Holy Land.”

According to the PNN, the Jews closed the Mughrabi Gate after the massacre, claiming that the entry of Muslims was a threat to their lives.

Archive IMEMC post 06/12/16: Rabbi Lau: 3rd Temple Can be Built Without Destroying Al Aqsa

(Source / 08.10.2018)

Israeli Prosecutor Reveals: Requests for Jail without Bail until End of Trial for Facebook Incitement Offenses – For Arab Suspects Only

08 OCT
8:42 PM
The Israeli courts are keeping Arab political leader Raja Eghbaria in detention at least until 15 October; the prosecutor doesn’t deny existence of multiple errors in its translation of Eghbaria’s Arabic-language Facebook posts, but says ‘it doesn’t matter.’

An Israeli prosecutor revealed in court yesterday, 7 October 2018, that the state has only ever sought detention until the end of court proceedings for Arab suspects in online incitement to terror cases – but never for Jewish suspects.

According to Adlah, a follow-up hearing was held yesterday, in Haifa Magistrate’s Court, on the state’s request for detention until the end of proceedings for Raja Eghbaria, member of the High Follow-Up Committee for Palestinian Arab citizens of Israel and leader of the Abnaa al-Baladpolitical movement.

 

Israeli police arrested Eghbaria on 11 September 2018 and interrogated him for seven hours about Facebook status updates he posted over the past 12 months. He has been held in jail for upwards of a month since his initial arrest.

CLICK HERE for details on Eghbaria’s arrest and the charges against him

After the state failed to respond yesterday to charges of discrimination based on ethnic or national belonging by Adalah – The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel, the court ruled that a decision will be issued next week on Monday, 15 October 2018.

During the hearing, it was revealed that the state was unable to point to one case of suspected online incitement to terrorism in which detention without bond until the end of trial was sought for a Jewish defendant. In contrast, the state has made multiple requests for detention until the end of proceedings against Arab defendants in such cases.

Adalah General Director Attorney Hassan Jabareen and Adalah Attorney Rabea Eghbariah, together with private attorneys Afnan Khalifa and Omar Khamaisa, argued that the prosecutor’s policy of filing detention requests until the end of proceedings for Arab suspects only is discriminatory.

The defense team stressed that there is no basis to the Israeli police claim that Eghbaria poses a danger justifying his continued detention. In addition, the attorneys noted, the prosecutor indicated that it does not deny the existence of multiple errors in its translation of Eghbaria’s Arabic-language Facebook posts; the state further added that, even if there were errors in the translation, “it doesn’t matter.”

Adalah and partner attorneys called for the immediate release of Eghbaria without any restrictive conditions.

The court ruled yesterday to extend Eghbaria’s detention until 15 October 2018 at 13:00, when a final decision will be made on the request for detention until the end of the proceedings, which will include a reference to the detailed defense arguments raised.

CASE CITATION: State of Israel v. Raja Eghbaria (Haifa Magistrate’s Court 36094-09-18)

(Source / 08.10.2018)

Israel Considers Releasing 300 Palestinian Detainees Due to Overcrowding

08 OCT
12:35 AM

Israel is expected to free 300 Palestinian prisoner after the Knesset passes a bill, in the upcoming fall session, that is meant to ease overcrowded prisons conditions, Israeli media reported on Saturday.

According to Haaretz, the 300 prisoners are among about 1,000 prisoners to be released on the day the law goes into force, December 20.

The bill was introduced after the High Court of Justice ruled that the incarceration conditions infringed on prisoners’ human rights, and instructed the state to ensure that each prisoner had living space of 3 square meters.

The bill, which has already been approved by the Knesset Interior Committee, calls for shortening sentences of hundreds of prisoners by two to five months. Prisoners sentenced to up to four years will have their sentences reduced by a few weeks to a few months, no matter what the nature of their crime. Because all prisoners are also entitled to a one-third reduction of their sentence for good behavior, the new law will mean that some prisoners will be released after serving only half of their sentence.

Prisoners sentenced to more than four years will receive the additional reduction only if they have already been granted one-third off for good behavior.

(Source / 08.10.2018)